Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th May 2011, 17:57   #1
BANNED

Default Baroda : Food outlets & Places of interest

Hi,
I am going to Baroda to attend a friend's wedding and would like to purchase some Gujarati delicacies. Can anyone please give me pointers for some good snacks outlets in Baroda selling authentic Gujju snacks?
Any places of interest in the city which are worth visiting?

Thanks,
Zaks
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 18:32   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks
Hi,
I am going to Baroda to attend a friend's wedding and would like to purchase some Gujarati delicacies. Can anyone please give me pointers for some good snacks outlets in Baroda selling authentic Gujju snacks?

Thanks,
Zaks
There are some nice snacks outlets. One is called Payal Snacks, it's on R C Dutt road, Alkapuri area. They have some nice Gujarati snacks. Try their Khaman and Kachoris.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 18:58   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Food outlets in Baroda

Jagdish farsan opposite MS University is quite well known.

Last edited by rishab.k : 14th May 2011 at 19:00.
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 19:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) Payal Farsan on R.C.Dutt road.
2) Jagdish Farsan near Railway Station.
3) This is one thing you will have to try and cannot carry back home.
Raju Khaman near Khanderao Market.
4) Raju Omlet ( VIP Road ? ).

The above are 4 main places that are really worth trying.
All 4 are very famous all over city.

When are you coming to attend wedding ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 20:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Zaks
Aaah!! Great topic. My favorites are as follows.

- Room Zoom on Productivity road - famous for pani puri(gol gappa) & chaat
- Bhai Bhai Dabeli near 'Sangam' Crossroads (pani ni tanki - water tank road)- famous for dabeli (stuffing between buns). try one with 'sev' & onion.
- Bombay Sandwich on R.C Dutt road. The original one is a little bit inside and a big shop. - awesome sandwiches.
- Sankalp - R.C Dutt Road - famous for dosas
- Raju Omelet Center near Muktanand Crossroads, near Utkarsh petrol pump - famous for mouth watering anything egg.
- Kismat in Nizampura for Kathyawadi food. Must try this.
- For sweets & Farsan - Payal Farsan Mart on R.C Dutt road.
- For traditional farsan - jagdish farsan mart in city near Gandhinagar Gruh, the original one. Also shree ram at Amit Circle. must try 'bhakerwadi'.
- Vishal sandwich on R.C. Dutt road - famous for Samosa Sandwich - something different.
- Amantran, Express hotel on R.C. Dutt road - famous for Gujarati Thali
- Chocolate Room on Jetalpur Road - everything chocolate
- South Corner on Sayajibaug road. Famous for Dosa.

For visiting some landmarks, take a ride in M.S. University and Fatehgunj road for some cool crowd and atmosphere. Worth it. If you are interested in Museum, one in 'kamatibaug' is famous and great. Try catching a good action/horror movie in Inox, you will love the sound system. Much better than other multiplex across the country. You will love the crowd there during weekend. You can go to laxmi vilas palace. A great palace.

There is Mahi Valley Resort in Sindhrot approx 15 kms from Baroda. A great place to hang out and watch the sunset. Good food too.

This should keep you happy, entertained and filled during your visit.

Hope this helps. Enjoy

Last edited by chevelle : 14th May 2011 at 20:14.
chevelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 20:58   #6
BANNED

wow super! this is exactly what I was looking for. I will there for the wedding, which is on Monday. my friend is too busy getting married to take us out
will certainly check out the museum and the palace. I also heard that there is a zoo there, what about it?
Old 15th May 2011, 10:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow super! this is exactly what I was looking for. I will there for the wedding, which is on Monday. my friend is too busy getting married to take us out
will certainly check out the museum and the palace. I also heard that there is a zoo there, what about it?
the zoo again is very near to the museum. its in the same garden called 'kamatibaug' a.k.a sayaji garden. zoo is a great place to visit to. i have been there 4-5 times and i still love it.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:09   #8
BANNED

thanks a lot guys, I will check them out. There is huge demand from my colleagues for these bhakarwadi and stuff.
Old 15th May 2011, 15:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
... zoo is a great place to visit to ...
Slip a couple of coins to the lion keepers to get the lions to roar, and man what a roar it is! Just stand away from the grills though - lions don't use Colgate or Pepsodent, and the stink conveys that when they roar.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 18:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Slip a couple of coins to the lion keepers to get the lions to roar, and man what a roar it is! Just stand away from the grills though - lions don't use Colgate or Pepsodent, and the stink conveys that when they roar.
my home is a mile away from the zoo and we can clearly hear the roars. Loud enough to wake us up.
Old 15th May 2011, 20:34   #11
BHPian

I remember having lunch at a Shiv Mandir about a year back when i visited Baroda. Loved the food, its simplicity and the whole setup . Truly authentic Gujarati thali, chaas and the final bill for 2pax was only about 100/- !! . Sorry , i dont know the address or street name since the cab driver has chosen this location for me.

I'd surely be looking forward to visiting the listings on here.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 01:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

past couple of months, new restaurants have came up.

here are a few that came to my mind right now. sorry i am a food junkie. Can't help it!!

- pizza inn - different pizza than what is available at pizza hut, domino's and the likes. superb, delicious and outside sitting is cool to hangout

- barbecue nation - a great place to have plenty of food. make sure you go with empty stomach. its buffet kinda thing. yummy. expensive.

- if the friends group is big, travel approx 15 kms towards halol/kalol and there is a restaurant/discotheque - called Tandoor restaurant. Going as a couple - much better.

- little italy - awesome Italian food. its located in alkapuri society near R.C Dutt road.

- Kai Asia - awesome asian food. Its located near Akota Garden and akota stadium.

- Dairy Den - one of the best ice creams and hang out place in baroda.

- Sasuma Gujarati Thali - one of the good thali place. I prefer amantran.

- nilkanth juice center - one of the best juices and smoothies.

- Shrinath Ice cream shop - near Cash and Carry, Ellora Park. The best Cocoa ever. This guy use to have a 'lari'(cart) near Inox. The cocoa was the best we had. The only kind in whole of baroda, where you had to really shake the glass keeping above the mouth to make it come down. it was that thick with cadbury chunks. miss it a lot.

- Mahakadi Sev Usad (M.S.U - Near polo ground) - how can i forgot this shop & cart combo. OMG, the best 'Sev Usad' in the world i would say. If you love spicy and hot food, this is the place. If you make a trip to baroda and don't have 'Sev Usad' at Mahakadi its a crime.

Hope this helps to all.

Last edited by chevelle : 16th May 2011 at 02:01.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:19   #13
BANNED

Alright, i am in vadodara now and its sultry hot! Chevelle today if the lions roar you know who did it!
Dairy den looks a must in this weather. We are put up in Sayaji hotel, which is a nice cosy place.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks
Alright, i am in vadodara now and its sultry hot! Chevelle today if the lions roar you know who did it!
Dairy den looks a must in this weather. We are put up in Sayaji hotel, which is a nice cosy place.
Try Sayaji's lunch buffet as well. It was good when I last visited their couple of years back.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 09:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, i am not in Vadodara to hear the roar. I am like 10,000 miles away. Still record the roar and put it here.

Enjoy!!!