Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 11:46   #76
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
To learn first up - nothing is better than Acoustic.

Acoustic frets will be usually hard to play. However, you can find smooth ones too. Try finding the F cuts. But dont bother if it is hard. It is good to learn. Your movements will be precise.

It is like this - learning car using a Willy's jeep Vs using a Merc.
Learn from the tough one. Easier ones will be butter.

And with precise movements and tough chords on acoustic, anything else will only sound better!
i understand your point on strength, however i am not sure if the basic movements, chords, progressions, etc change. I would love to go the harder way develop calluses and finger/wrist strength, unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier, due to a past injury my wrists are not able to cope with applying strength and learning new movements at the same time. Hence my plan to master the movements on an electric and then occasionally practice on acoustic and develop the strength
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 13:02   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
To learn first up - nothing is better than Acoustic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
but then, nothing beats the tone of a sweet sounding acoustic like Takamine ... heaven!
I second that. When you practice on an acoustic, you focus on getting the notes crisp and clear. And you can take all those learnings to the electric, tweak the sound and get all the effects you want.

Even if you decide on an electric, you should have a good acoustic guitar which you can just pick up and play when an idea comes to mind. You can take it anywhere you want. You don't need to lug your amplifier along. Believe me, you'll fall in love with a good acoustic guitar.

BTW, i've been dreaming of a Telecaster for years now.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 15:43   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I second that. When you practice on an acoustic, you focus on getting the notes crisp and clear. And you can take all those learnings to the electric, tweak the sound and get all the effects you want.

Even if you decide on an electric, you should have a good acoustic guitar which you can just pick up and play when an idea comes to mind. You can take it anywhere you want. You don't need to lug your amplifier along. Believe me, you'll fall in love with a good acoustic guitar.

BTW, i've been dreaming of a Telecaster for years now.
True that. An acoustic is an acoustic
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:52   #79
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Hi all - i finally made the move and got the greg bennett avion av3
Greg Bennett Electric - AV3

got it from furtados in bangy for 16.5k and they tuned it and tested it for me

unfortunately they didn't have the vox amplug ac30, so I can't play it yet

Any idea if i will get the vox amplug at reynolds, maybe ??

Also as I have useless ears when it comes to tuning, should i get a clip-on tuner and which one ?
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:31   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

I can mail you mine for cheap, selling it since I don't need it anymore.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:18   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Congrats Jassi. The guitar looks beautiful. Happy playing!
Regarding tuning, you could get one of those electronic tuners by KORG, BOSS etc.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:14   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Hi all - i finally made the move and got the greg bennett avion av3
Greg Bennett Electric - AV3

got it from furtados in bangy for 16.5k and they tuned it and tested it for me

unfortunately they didn't have the vox amplug ac30, so I can't play it yet

Any idea if i will get the vox amplug at reynolds, maybe ??

Also as I have useless ears when it comes to tuning, should i get a clip-on tuner and which one ?
Then you need to train them and make them useful.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:16   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 316
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

had a look at yamaha's new shop in chennai. they have got a good list of electric and acoustic guitars. no idea if yamaha are a good option in guitars though.

anybody from chennai who is interested can have a look.
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:28   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
...no idea if yamaha are a good option in guitars though.
Yes they are!

They are the first company that broke the Western Alliance of guitar makers!
Amongst the most widely sold and trusted today, as with a lot of other Japanese products, over the years!
Don't you watch music concerts? Try to read the labels on the guitars being used, particularly acoustic.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:42   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Try to read the labels on the guitars being used, particularly acoustic.
Well, it depends on who's playing.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:48   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Hi all - i finally made the move and got the greg bennett avion av3
Greg Bennett Electric - AV3

got it from furtados in bangy for 16.5k and they tuned it and tested it for me
Jassi, congrats on your acquisition! You sure are splurging!
All the best!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 20:20   #87
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I can mail you mine for cheap, selling it since I don't need it anymore.
Hi pranav - did you mean the clip-on tuner or the vox amplug. The tuner I already got some cheap one. Haven't been on this thread so missed your post!! If it is the vox amplug (ac30) that you are selling then please pm me

Anup/Torqy/all - thanks for the advice and wishes, yep i splurged a bit more than i thought

Alpha - yes i am training them hehe

All - any inputs wherein bangy i can get the vox amplug, can't find it at furtados or reynolds (btw i really didnt like the reynolds store when compared to furtados, koramangala)
Or should i just buy from bajaao.com. They dont specify which variant they are selling though (ac30, classic rock, etc)
Vox Amplug Compact Headphone Guitar Amplifier with Distortion -
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 23:45   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
All - any inputs wherein bangy i can get the vox amplug, can't find it at furtados or reynolds (btw i really didnt like the reynolds store when compared to furtados, koramangala)
Try these places also.

Soundglitz (Brigade Road)
Yamaha Music Square (Indira Nagar)
Rhythms (Residency Road)
Shiva Musicals (Benson Town)

Shiva Musicals had it sometime back. You could call them and find out.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 10:39   #89
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Try these places also.

Soundglitz (Brigade Road)
Yamaha Music Square (Indira Nagar)
Rhythms (Residency Road)
Shiva Musicals (Benson Town)

Shiva Musicals had it sometime back. You could call them and find out.
Hey Thanks Torqy - after checking at reynolds, i walked down to soundglitz yesterday and all they had was 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter - don't want that as it will either mess up my guitar or the HT/laptop.
Am waiting for a friend, who may have it and is ready to just give it to me for free else i will buy from pranavt who plans to sell his as mentioned above. I am a bit confused why people would be getting rid of such an awesome gizmo, is there something better to upgrade to in the future hehe (no offense pranav)

yamaha - i haven't tried yet as indranagar is in a complete mess with all the roads dug up, besides don't wanna go there and look at more guitars now

will keep residency road and the not so familiar benson town on hold for now.

Last edited by jassi : 25th February 2009 at 10:43.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 13:06   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
will keep residency road and the not so familiar benson town on hold for now.
Walk down Brigade Road from Soundglitz, you'll reach Residency Road junction. Turn Left. Rhythm Musicals is 20 meters from there on the left.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 78 16th December 2016 15:30
Using a guitar amp-speaker in a car- Crazy? arjyamaj In-Car Entertainment 12 6th December 2012 13:33
Empty forest house, dark night, candle, guitar & 3Musketeers: driving Binsar/Nainital hridayjyoti Travelogues 31 1st October 2010 02:46
My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar preetam_KORG Shifting gears 34 8th April 2010 20:29
Reva Electric Car is the highest selling electric car in the world navdeep The Indian Car Scene 29 23rd June 2007 20:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks