Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th February 2009, 14:03   #91
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Walk down Brigade Road from Soundglitz, you'll reach Residency Road junction. Turn Left. Rhythm Musicals is 20 meters from there on the left.

thanks i know residency road - but now atleast i know where on residency road is rhythm musicals. Benson town is the one that will require a google map search !!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 17:08   #92
BHPian

Need some advice guys was planning on buying a acoustic guitar had been to Sardar Flute yesterday and was quoted a price of Rs 2500/- for a Indian make(brand suzake not sure though) and Rs 4000/-for some foreign brand(had a label of made in China).My query is,for a beginner is it necessary to buy the costlier one or buy the Indian make one now and upgrade later.
yogi1771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 19:15   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Need some advice guys was planning on buying a acoustic guitar had been to Sardar Flute yesterday and was quoted a price of Rs 2500/- for a Indian make(brand suzake not sure though) and Rs 4000/-for some foreign brand(had a label of made in China).My query is,for a beginner is it necessary to buy the costlier one or buy the Indian make one now and upgrade later.
Buy a budget one. Doesnt matter Indian or Chinese. But make sure strings are little soft.
The reason why you should buy a budget one is that, after you have learnt a bit and start playing good, you will know which suits you, which one you need. There are many - F cut - Box type etc.

Start with budget one and then buy a good one later.
penpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 09:37   #94
BHPian

Cheap or Expensive. Make sure the guitar tunes correctly, sounds nice and the action is not too high. A guitar which doesn't tune correctly and which is a pain to play will make you hate it. It helps if you take an expert along with you.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make sure the guitar tunes correctly, ....
Are you saying there are guitars that do not get tuned?!

Wrong placement of frets? That's a serious manufacturing defect!
Haven't come across any such, thank God!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:06   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

Wrong placement of frets? That's a serious manufacturing defect!
Haven't come across any such, thank God!
Yes, i have a sample one. Some of the higher (in pitch) frets are misplaced. The strings sound nice open. But beyond a particular fret, it goes off.

Old 13th April 2009, 13:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i have a sample one. Some of the higher (in pitch) frets are misplaced. The strings sound nice open. But beyond a particular fret, it goes off.
Name it, Torqy! Name the brand. Such warnings are perfectly in order on a forum.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:55   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Name it, Torqy! Name the brand. Such warnings are perfectly in order on a forum.
No, its not any mass produced brand. It was a small production run by a friend. This is the only one i found with that problem....and he doesn't make guitars anymore. So, don't worry.

I just wanted to warn that its a possibility.

Old 13th April 2009, 14:05   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
No, its not any mass produced brand. It was a small production run by a friend. This is the only one i found with that problem....and he doesn't make guitars anymore. So, don't worry.

I just wanted to warn that its a possibility.
hehe, Torqy, that is what I had been meaning to ask!
In having handled hundreds of guitars I have never encountered any such!
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:14   #100
BHPian

Just so as to not let this thread die.
i just bought a schechter 006 deluxe model. needed a 6 string as you cant play everything as easily on a grx720. Now i'm a little confused about buying a new amp. has anybody used the line 6 series of amplifiers. i'm planning to pick up the line 6 75 watt spider mk iv.
all your inputs would be really helpful.
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:03   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
Just so as to not let this thread die.
i just bought a schechter 006 deluxe model. needed a 6 string as you cant play everything as easily on a grx720. Now i'm a little confused about buying a new amp. has anybody used the line 6 series of amplifiers. i'm planning to pick up the line 6 75 watt spider mk iv.
all your inputs would be really helpful.

Two words. Awesome amp.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 08:41   #102
BHPian

If you like modelling amps I suggest you also check out the new Peavey Vypyr range and the Vox Valvetronix (they have tube pre-amp stages so sound better than any solid state amp IMO)

also lilMonSter - how is the Schecter 006?
I am looking at a Damien or an ESP EC-50. What I really wnat is a mahogany body and not too costly. 2 things that don't really go together though

Anybody has any experience of Cort guitars?
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 23:14   #103
BHPian

The damien is a killer guitar, more for playing things with a heavier sound..just looks evil.. i love the 006 the only drawback is that it just has 22 frets and not the standard 24...but shouldnt be too much of a bother.
i had enquired about the cort, my brother plays a cort x 50 but thats not available in india. They are the ones who make guitar parts for ibanez and some other manufacturers.i played a couple of them but then just loved the feel of the 006.The neck is super thin and the 22 fret thing does not bother me much cause i have a 7string as a backup...The basic point is buying whatever your comfortable with.. i'm planning to pick up a dean vandetta next \\m// Rock on.
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 00:48   #104
BHPian

I've used a cort acoustic guitar for a while. The sound it produced was just amazing. It was so good that I went searching all over Bangalore to buy one if them. But I couldn't get hold of one. Based on my research cort is a very reliable brand and they give you premium features at good prices. Reynolds Bangalore usually keeps a good collection of cort electric guitars. I think for under 15k they make the most VFM electrics.
datvichrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 12:42   #105
BHPian

Default Re: Buying an electric guitar

Quote:
hehe, Torqy, that is what I had been meaning to ask!
In having handled hundreds of guitars I have never encountered any such!
This question is 2 YEARS late....but better late than never!
Are you a musician?