Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st January 2006, 13:18   #1
BHPian

Default Buying an electric guitar

Hi people...if there is any similar (I did search) or this thread should be somewhere else (gadgets?) sorry in advance.

As the title says, I am looking at buying a electric guitar.
I already have a Gibtone acoustic (quite beat up) and my skill level is not that great. I am not exactly a novice but I am no expert in the art of shredding.
I would like to be a better player though and I feel its important having good equipment which makes you enjoy the learning experience. Having always been a huge rock music fan, playing the guitar (that too electric!) has always been a kind of a dream.

So suggestions on how to go about buying one and where (if possible)
I hope there are a few people on here who know this stuff :-)

Budget is max 15k.
I need a decent instrument in that as well as a amplifier and a distortion/effects pedal to go with it.
Will all this fit in my paltry budget or no?

Also how good are the beginner kits from Yamaha/Behringer which are cheap (150$) available on Amazon.com They include a basic guitar, small player amp, picks, belt and case.

Hoping to get some responses !
Thanks.

Last edited by Abhay : 31st January 2006 at 13:21.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 16:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
Hi people...if there is any similar (I did search) or this thread should be somewhere else (gadgets?) sorry in advance.

As the title says, I am looking at buying a electric guitar.

Budget is max 15k.
I need a decent instrument in that as well as a amplifier and a distortion/effects pedal to go with it.
Will all this fit in my paltry budget or no?

Also how good are the beginner kits from Yamaha/Behringer which are cheap (150$) available on Amazon.com They include a basic guitar, small player amp, picks, belt and case.Thanks.
I have not played an instrument in 15-16 years ago but this sums up what little i know...

Ibanez makes very good VFM guitars. I dont think there is any Indian manufacturer that makes guitars that are worth the money.

Another lesser known company is Fernandez. They are a bit less expensive but harder to find.

That said you can make your own guitar (the guitar in my avatar is home made - it was designed and made by me in 1990).

What you will need is a good guitar maker (calcutta and mumbai have a few). You'll have to import pickups from Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, heads from Grover, and a (Floyd Rose) tremelo arm.

For 15K you can get a nice guitar. Stick to that first. Make sure the neck allows for smooth playing. For an amp I would recommend using any cheapo for now. You can build your own amp too.

Use google and look for amps using EL84 output tubes. Marshall used EL84 in their small amps.

An EL84 PP amp will give you about 10-15W (adequate for guitar use). Mate this to a Celestion 10" in a cabinet.

All the best.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 16:53   #3
BHPian

Thanks navin, Ibanez indeed is a great maker but I doubt their guitars are cheap. Since I am not exactly Steve Vai and should I opt for a cheaper guitar - say a Yamaha beginner level and take it from there?
Givson has plenty of models too and they should be cheaper than any made outside India but then, its not exactly famous for its quality.
Although I could potentially afford to spend a bit more on my guitar right now, wouldnt it make sense to buy a reasonable, entry level guitar and then take it from there ? (I am not taking any classes right now but playing on my own)
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:34   #4
BHPian

You wont find a Gibson, Ibanez , Strat or other major in that budget - go for one of the following :

Fender Squier Strat (Cheaper Stratocaster) - go for a 'Fat Strat' with humbuckers as well.
Ephiphone Les Paul (cheaper Gibson)
The Yamaha Pacifica series is also very good and you could pick up one for less than $200 - I think they're available in India as well now

Try and get hold of a guitar which has both single coil and humbucker pickups...

Avoid Indian brands - I have a 'Givson' - goes out of tunes every five minutes

Cant advise you on amps - I used my comp's sound card (cheapo solution) - a solid state Indian amp wil be cheap but if you can afford it go for a tube/valve based amp - Marshall makes some good and EXPENSIVE ones. You can also make your own as one of my school friends did - had his awesome valve amp with his Jackson guitar - plays really well. Can ask him for the circuits if you'd like it. Or you can search on google - there are plenty available.

Disclaimer : I'm not a guitarist, so my advice might be wrong - had an interst as I like blues, rock and metal - but never went beyong learning a few chords and the riffs of 'Highway to Hell' and 'Breaking the law'

cheers

zaphod

P.S

there was a site called Harmony Central IIRC - have guitar reviews as well - check it out...
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 12:09   #5
BHPian

hey Abhay,
Like zaphod said, you can go in for the Yamaha Pacifica. It's got a pretty good tone. Another investment you can consider is buys a set of ernie ball steel wound strings. A floyd rose fret board might be a lil expensive for you. And even a les paul is pretty expensive. You can even go for this indian brand called tansen. It's supposed to be good. Dont know how good, people gave me mixed reviews about it. Also available are these ephiphone's which have a weird looking plastic'ish back. At the place where I used to play, people who tried it out thought it sounded real good. And these chaps are pros, so I can go by their word. As for distortion pedals you can go for the basic zoom 507 or 501 (I THINK it's called 501 or 505). As for amps, you can go for a stranger if you find marshall's a tad bit expensive and don't find it within your budget. One thing you can do, which is worth it, is drive down to Mumbai when you get a chance and go to this store called LM or BX Furtado's on the Kalbadevi road. All good musicians swear by it. Even I got my 1st pair of drumsticks ( dipsticks and 2B rock zildjian) from there.

Well, hope you found this info worthwhile.

Godspeed.

Alok.

Last edited by ghostrider4385 : 2nd February 2006 at 12:10.
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 13:08   #6
BHPian

Yep the Pacifica is around Rs 10k mark and has generally got good reviews.
Thanks zaphod, I will try to find if those are available...and yes 1 humbucker is a must to get the real crunchy rock riff tone (thats what I read everywhere!) Also Stranger amps (Indian made) are quite cheap, about 4.5k for a 30W RMS practise amp which has inbuilt distortion or 2.5k for a 20W

ghostrider, thank you
I know about Furtados and yes also the zoom 505 effects box as decent beginner level thingie. I will try to see if I can go to Mumbai, but the problem is its not easy to go more than once for checking stuff and then settling on things in my budget/liking. Also Tansen has better reviews than Givsons from what I could find on the net (RSJ Online etc) but not sure about its availability.

There is also a site if you guys wanna check www.bajaao.com which is a online store but it has expensive stuff like Ibanez and Fender. (Does have zoom pedals and Stranger amps though)
Old 2nd February 2006, 13:34   #7
BHPian

Hey Abhay, this is a far shot, but GIR is going to be held pretty soon in Mumbai and Delhi. Try going there, it's worth it. The dates are on the rsj site. If you are a member like me they put you onto their mailing list and mail you about the upcoming gigs in your city. The reason im telling you this is because, at rock shows you find music lovers and musicians. They by far can give you the best and up-to-date info. And if you can try meeting the bands playing there, there is nothing like it. Mumbai's local band zero will be playing there and are really good. Found them really down to earth. I'm sure they would help you. Also, try seeking out bands from pune itself. There are quite a few good one's there. They would be the best source of information and advice for you! Good luck and good buy!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 2nd February 2006, 22:10   #8

Zaphod is pretty well into guitars it seems. Yes, I have a Yamaha Pacifica that I bought for around 140 USD. And that is the price you can get it for from some places like in Cal. I have seen the Squier Stratocaster for the equivalent of 190 USD last year in Cal on Freeschool street at Reynolds I think. That is less than 10k. But for distortion pedals and all that, I have no idea. Cal is one place where you can equip yourself well and not pay too much. Delhi I am not so sure.
ken cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 05:02   #9
BHPian

:--) not really into guitars ken - am into rock though so guitars were just the next step - i just played my guitar for a month and then lost interest - my and a friend made a 2 man band called 'atmahatya' - couldnt play a single song completely but used to just play out the chords in any fashion which seemed nice....and play highway to hell ! just had a lot of fun in our college breaks.

Ghostrider - havent heard of tansen - they make only electrics or accoustics too ?

I do have a friend's accoustic which i just gave to be fixed - the neck had come loose - want to start learning seriously...will learn on that till i can say that i know how to play the guitar , then go for a good affordable electric - maybe the pacifica only...though i'd love an epiphone les paul (cant really afford a true gibson !)

The Zoom pedal is a good buy (a friend had a 501 along with a wah-wah) and there used to be a amp/pedal emulator called 'the pod' IIRC - my friends who were guitarists said it was the goody every guitarist would love.

but if there is one iother nstrument i find the sexiest - the saxophone !

maybe we ought to set up our own directconnect hub..

BTW, what kind of music are you guys into ? - I love everything from 50's rock n' roll to classic rock to '80's hard and glam rock to metal to the blues - started listening to country recently.

best of luck abhay, go and rock on !

zaphod

P.S - for those into rock - some hindi rock i'd like to recommend - Bandeh by Indian Ocean and Sutta Na Mila by Zeest....

useless bit of info : the squier strats are built in Mexico but used to be built in India in Calcutta in the early 90's ....
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:50   #10
BHPian

Interesting zaphod, and yes Kolkata seems to be the place to get cheap equipment...Givson is also based there.

While googling for Tansen n stuff I found a site for Harmony Guitars in Chennai.Look good but no idea of prices/dealers or anything on the site.

And as far as my music taste - hard rock, metal from 70s/80s
Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, AC/DC and of course Metallica....
Joe Satriani and Santana as well...
Of the newer stuff I do like 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park and Audioslave.
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:17   #11
BHPian

To Zaphod:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Ghostrider - havent heard of tansen - they make only electrics or accoustics too ?
Tansen is a relatively new brand from India, and I THINK they have a tie-up with some foreign guitar company in someway. Well, they seem to be good so what the heck!

Quote:
but if there is one iother nstrument i find the sexiest - the saxophone !
Talking about saxophones, one band covers id love to play is Dave Mathews Band... they one of the most professional and tight bands around. I have ALL their albums! I literally worship their drummer Carter Beauford!!! There was this old Delhi band called Friday the 13th... their cover of 'ants go marching' was kick ***!!!

Quote:
maybe we ought to set up our own directconnect hub..
What is a directconnect hub now? I understand the words individually, but not collectively :P

I am into Heavy Metal/ metal (but refrain from getting too involved into death metal!), my fav bands being the usual Megadeth (have most albums), Iron Maiden (have all albums), Metallica (have all their albums... like everyone else around! also have their s&m concert dvd), Dio (decent amount of albums), Alice In Chains (few albums), Pearl Jam (all albums), Pink Floyd (have ALL albums), Aerosmith (All albums), Avenged sevenfold, Slip knot (most albums), yada, yada. Most classic rock bands... too many to mention, real old bands like the byrds, etc, lots of modern/alternate/numetal/contemporary/adult rock bands. Basically the band needs to have a real good drummer (I being a drummer myself) and guitarists and they need to be tight... metronome tight!. Phew!!! that just about sums up everything under the sun I think :P...I have about 50-60gb of music (including music vids), all which i have listined to... not just have em for show like lotsa wannabe's I have come across! I am also a big admirer of Indian rock bands, having been taught by the drummer of Euphoria (previous drummer of orange street and loads of other bands). I have songs of most of the bands on the Indian rock scene. They international quality!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:37   #12
BHPian

To Zaphod: sorry, didnt read your question properly the 1st time. I am not sure if tansen make accoustic guitars man. And another thing. If you planning to go for a tansen, remember that people have mixed reviews about it. I personally found its tone good (I used to play the guitar till like the 9th or 10th grade, had a Roland accoustic guitar which mom got from NZ so dont know if you can get it here). For an accoustic guitar I would go in for a hobner's jumbo handsdown. That guitar ROCKS!!! My bestfriend has that and a yamaha spanish guitar with a combination of plastic and metal strings... it's real good! And out of experience, invest in a metronome, it's only about Rs. 1,500... the best one is by korg. Another thing, while buying an instrument, I personally dont like Bharat Music House, I feel that guy tends to rip people off. A better place would be this place on the way to North Campus, I don't remember it's name, but can find out if you want me to.
If you serious about learning to play the guitar pm me, I know this chap in North Campus called Obed, he's a friend of mine, and he's a KICK *** guitarist and teacher. If thats too far for you, i know other people too. PM me if you want help.

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 3rd February 2006, 13:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Abhay]Thanks navin, Ibanez indeed is a great maker but I doubt their guitars are cheap. [quote]

How things change. 25 years ago Ibanez was known for VFM guitars not chea but VFM. That meant if you could not afford a Les Paul or Strat or Tele you got an Ibanez.

I even played a Fernandez once and it was light and beautiful. the action was wonderful. Only 20 frets so one could not go too high. Maple neck.

Ok. if you are looking for a guitar

a) In your budget most will be 2 pickup guitars hopefully you can get a single coil neck pickup and a humbucker bridge. Better 2 good pickups than 3 poor ones. Ideally 2 single coils mated to a bridge humbucker would be great.

b) See if you can get a maple neck no need for a rosewood or ebony fretboard. But maple does not warp easy so it lasts longer.

c) Check out the action on all 6 stings over all 20+ frets.

d) dont wory about a floyd rose they are expensive and while they keep strings in tune longer if you whammy a lot they also make stringing a bit harder.

e) I seconf GIR.

and yes talk to anyone you know in a band. they'll be able to help with more current information.

BTW this might interest you...
http://www.bajaao.com/ibanez-grg170d...31416b30a5389a

mate that to this
http://www.bajaao.com/marshall-mg10c...31416b30a5389a

or this...
http://www.bajaao.com/marshall-mg15c...31416b30a5389a

and add this later
http://www.bajaao.com/zoom-505ii-gui...8de69c367e8bb8

Last edited by navin : 3rd February 2006 at 13:19.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 07:46   #14
BHPian

Abhay and Ghostrider,- thumbs up to your taste in music - there seem to be very few rock fans left - though it's slowly making a comeback.

I listen to a variety of rock - though if i narrow it down to my favourites it would be :

Led Zep
Deep Purple
Rainbow
Guns n' Roses
Dio
Poison
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Iron Maiden
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Megadeth
L.A. Guns
AC/DC
Motley Crue
Warrant
Mazzy Star
Janis Joplin
Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan
..........long list though :-) just started developing interest in country and some trance as well

Yup - i did pick up my guitar from Bharat Music house - the one oen Panchkuiyan....

I'd appreciate it if you could recoomend me a good place to pick up an accoustic.

I'd love if I could find a good teacher, thanks, Ghostrider - preferably in Noida, but Im not too sure about how long I'll be staying in Delhi - Im starting a biz in TN so might be going down south for a couple of months end of Feb....

Navin - you seem to be a pro at guitars ! - get a few people together and make your own T-Bhp Band ! "Music to drive by"

Directconnect's a s/w in which you can set up a private network to share files - one person hosts the server and the others link up to it and share their goodies. - the difference is that it's a rivate network - there are thousands around teh world ...

Rock n' Roll aint noise pollution, Rock n'Roll will never Die !

cheers

zaphod

Last edited by zaphod : 4th February 2006 at 07:49.
Old 6th February 2006, 00:02   #15
BHPian

I bought my electric at Furtado's. Wanted to pick up an Ibanez [it was in my budget] but they didn't have a lefty. Finally picked up a guitar called Samick for about 13K. Pretty good guitar. Two single coils and one humbucker, Floyd Rose trem [it's a bitch to restring and tune it]. I plan to upgrade the humbucker to a really nice DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan soon.

For effects I have the Digitech GNX1. It has amp and cab simulation and a whole range of effects. It really rocks. I got it from Dubai [around 14K, price at Furtado's was around 23K]. I usually plug the output from the GNX1 straight into my computer's soundcard. My comp plugs into a home-made amp I'd made during my college years. Yeah, it cannot match a nice tube amp but I guess it has to do for now.

Someday when I have the money I'll buy the Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier :-)

Cheers
Harish
highpriest is offline   Reply With Quote