Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th June 2011, 13:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wink Re: Best Cold remedies

For me its always been a strong ginger tea with tulsi or a strong black coffee. Fortunately I have never used any OTC medications and the cold hasn't been for more than couple of days.

One favourite medication is the Paya soup/Manchow soup. Instant sardi gayab.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 18:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Best Cold remedies

UPDATE: after three days in bed, back to work now.

My uncle (he is also my doctor since I was a newborn) had told me once that there is no cure for the cold itself (a fit body will resist better, that's about it) but the symptoms can be managed to be less disruptive.

He also suggested one solution that my father uses regularly (since nobody else has mentioned it so far):

dissolve Listerine (or similar mouthwash, but not Hexadine kind of strong stuff) in a mild solution and gargle with that for as long as you can

should be done before going to bed and after waking up and, if needed, a few times more in the day.

His reasoning - viral infection is bad enough but allows bacteria to attack too - gargling with mouthwash (mild anti-bacterial) attacks them in the back of the mouth region directly without causing significant risk to your body.

My father uses it regularly with pretty good results. I unfortunately never learned to gargle (I end up drinking the whole thing) so don't use it as much.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 21:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

As someone suffering from Allergy and its very frequent attacks(no thanks to my long term sinusitis), I have done so many experimentations on myself that the list is probably longer than gandhijis experiments with truth itself!

1. Tried allopaty (for both allergy and sinusitis). Result - after changing 4 doctors (from hospitals like apollo, fortis, Sir Gangaram in Delhi etc) and gulping anti-allergens and anti-biotics, it would be things back to same state (persistent cold, running nose in the morning etc) as soon as I'd stop taking medication.
Concl: Medication is not really effective at eliminating root cause. At best, they just give temporary relief.

2. My experiments with teas: Have tried some with mixed results. The most promising one is Himalaya's Cough Tea. Preparation is quite simple - just simmer in steaming hot water for about 5 mins and sip it hot. It kind of gives instant relief. Another tea that helped was Tetley's concoction that has Ecinacea. It also seems to help greatly.
Another tea I've read about and am going to try in future is Lotus Root tea. Lotus root is not available in markets these days so will update on that when it is available. It is supposed to be the best remedy for cold.

3. Experiments with spices: Ginger and Tulsi obviously help. Another thing I've tried that helps contain allergy is Methi (dont know what it is called in English) What you do is boil water and add some Methi to it. Boil it till water reduces to half. Drink it!

To be continued....
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 22:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Otrivin to the rescue. Keep your nose free for breathing and take your normal cold medicine.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:54   #20
BHPian

Best Cold remedies:
1.) Salt Water gargling, lot of salt in warm water.
2.) Flush you nose, while taking bath, take some water in your palms and sniff it.
3.) Try nasivion, it is very effective. Do not try otrivion, just a commerical product.

For allergies:
Use rhinocort spray. Very effective, it stinks a bit

If you do suffer from Sinus, then doing a sinal flush will put all cold and throat pain to rest. I've done this & I see the benefits. The procedure is done using local anesthetic, little scary but IMO totally worth it.
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 12:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

For cleaning up sinus do the nethi with salt water. Dont do it your nostrils are stuffed since water can collect inside and ears.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 12:06   #22
BHPian

Hot chicken soup with extra pepper helps in reducing the stuffy feeling.

Gargling with salt water also helps.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 15:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

I was going through the internet and found this:

REALLY? - A little alcohol can help you beat a cold. - NYTimes.com

Looks like, once you have a cold alcohol will not help much (except give you a reason to drink )

But if you do drink a little regularly, you will probably be spared of getting a cold most of the time - One more reason to drink

On a more serious note:

Another advice from doctors: Keep yourself hydrated rough throat and bad taste means many people do not drink enough water. And that hurts more. Keep drinking a little water (warm it if you like) in some form - tea, juice, whatever and keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Last edited by vina : 14th June 2011 at 15:19.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 15:32   #24
BHPian

Option 1 : Hot steaming chicken soup with lots of pepper. Or 2 hot boiled eggs again with lots of pepper.
Option 2 : Steaming concoction of 10-12 tulsi leaves with 2-3 cloves, some pepper corns, 1 dalchini. Sip slowly
Option 3 : Anything with Cetrizine Hydrochloride (Okacet etc) - No Sinarest as it dries up the mucus and creates irritation
Option 4 : Lots of rest - read T-BHP posts
Option 5 : Lots of food rich in Vit C - amla, berries, lemon, orange juice

Last edited by bblost : 14th June 2011 at 22:06. Reason: Refer Rule 11. Thanks.
amit.mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 21:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sinus related issues invaded me and many times defeated me, homeopathy did work for me but was not able to hold it off for long...

the magic was done by "green tea" yes green tea works very well for me and has kept sinus or cold at bay. i strongly recommend it!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 03:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
My uncle (he is also my doctor since I was a newborn) had told me once that there is no cure for the cold itself (a fit body will resist better, that's about it) but the symptoms can be managed to be less disruptive.
Get fit, eat well, be happy. Don't overload your body with toxins - try and eat food which has not been messed about with or 'processed'. The symptoms will be worse the more your body needs to have a good clean out. Suppressing the symptoms may make you feel better a day or two sooner, but you could be storing more problems for the future, in my understanding of how the body works. But taking anything natural is unlikely going to harm you - I have used cinnamon and turmeric to good effect in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
dissolve Listerine (or similar mouthwash, but not Hexadine kind of strong stuff) in a mild solution and gargle with that for as long as you can

should be done before going to bed and after waking up and, if needed, a few times more in the day.
I would avoid Listerine or similar completely - somehow it has evolved in the public's mind to be a harmless sort of medicine but it is anything but.

http://ontariomedic.ca/2011/01/17/to...-of-listerine/
http://metro.co.uk/2009/01/12/mouthw...r-risk-316072/
FlatOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 07:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Hot chicken soup with extra pepper helps in reducing the stuffy feeling.

Gargling with salt water also helps.
Agree - one can only alleviate symptoms, there is no cure for what usually is a viral infection. Rest and lots of fluids helps.
For some throat infections, gargling with warm water and salt can prevent the infection from increasing if you catch it early, at the first hint of scratchiness, and do the gargling every few hours for a day, the infection goes away. Works for me many times. But if you leave it till the infection has caught hold, then this is just for symptom relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
Get fit, eat well, be happy. Don't overload your body with toxins - try and eat food which has not been messed about with or 'processed'. The symptoms will be worse the more your body needs to have a good clean out. Suppressing the symptoms may make you feel better a day or two sooner, but you could be storing more problems for the future, in my understanding of how the body works. But taking anything natural is unlikely going to harm you - I have used cinnamon and turmeric to good effect in the past.
I would avoid Listerine or similar completely - somehow it has evolved in the public's mind to be a harmless sort of medicine but it is anything but.

http://ontariomedic.ca/2011/01/17/to...-of-listerine/
http://metro.co.uk/2009/01/12/mouthw...r-risk-316072/
Sensible advice. For colds, at the end of the day the classic statement is - take medicines to get rid of it in a week. Else, it will take seven days.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

I used to get frequent colds and throat pains - a major reason being the deviated nasal septum. A surgery was advised by a couple of ENT doctors but they werenít sure if the issue can be completely eliminated. They were of the opinion that 7 in 10 people have this problem (i.e. DNS) and that they can live with it. I have postponed the surgery for now but I am planning to take it up sometime next year. The surgery lasts an hour with local anesthesia and we are advised to put some inserts into the nostrils after the surgery for healing and we have to breath through the mouth - a bit irritating that would be.

Anyways coming to the topic, when I get throat pain I tend to keep boiled water in flask and have it often after mixing it with regular water. This has come in very handy and helpful. Hot and sour chicken soup can also help. I usually refrain from taking medications because the body might ultimately develop resistance to the meds. Having paracetamol frequently causes liver damage as well so it is best not to take it unless thereís high fever. For nose blocks, I use Otrivinís nasal spray - there are two variants in the market (paediatric and adult) depending on the concentration of the major decongestant (0.5% for the paediatric variant and 1% for the adult variant). Both are equally helpful and quickly relieve the blocks. Having black coffee with a pinch of black pepper also helps to get rid of the cough and gives a lot of relief to the throat.

It is best to keep the hands clean using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer so we do not pass the infection to the others.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:44   #29
BHPian

There is Tulsi herb powder available as capsules @ Himalaya drug stores which guarantees prevention of cough /cold. Maybe taking a couple of them daily will help.

I am doing it & cold has not touched me this monsoon.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 10:01   #30
BHPian

Buy Nelson's Inhaler and take steam form it as prescribed. It is available at most medical stores. It is really effective and i have been using it since last many years. The steam works wonders to your throat and also clears up the cough.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote