Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:28   #841
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
You never walk alone?

I support the Red team too, but the one with 19 titles
Nope, never know how to walk alone

Hmmm, 19 you say? Interesting. So, I guess when we win our 19th title this year (or the next), you are going to switch allegiances? (since ManU are going to be stuck at 19th for some time)

And oh, there are still the 5 European Cups
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:28   #842
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,597
Thanked: 3,527 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I'm here I'm here!!!
Thanks addyhemmige. Good to see a different red
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
You never walk alone?

I support the Red team too, but the one with 19 titles
Oh yeah, bring it on... Now you know what's King Kenny's motivation

By the way, I hope Tevez and Mental Mario stay in Manchester and continue to bleed the blues. They actually look good otherwise.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:36   #843
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore/Mysore
Posts: 399
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hmmm, 19 you say? Interesting. So, I guess when we win our 19th title this year (or the next), you are going to switch allegiances? (since ManU are going to be stuck at 19th for some time)
Nope, not at all. Not one of those glory hunters who switch loyalties.
Any city fans here btw?
In any case, I dont think such a situation will arise anytime soon, looking at what we have got and how we are performing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
And oh, there are still the 5 European Cups
Not long before that is overtaken too. we've missed two finals opportunities recently
And no way its gonna become 6 anytime soon, because liverpool first need to qualify for the champions league!
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 19:07   #844
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 685 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

This being a football thread, let me pay my tribute to Baichung Bhutia, who hung up his boots today, and was the lone superstar in Indian Football. It was after his arrival and along with teammates like Vijayan, Ancheri & Carlton that Indian Football was able to make a very very minor step forward from the disaster the team was during 80s

Thank you Bhutia for the 'Good Times' you gave us!!
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:45   #845
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 160
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Finally something to cheer about!

Arsenal has made it to CL! Gosh, there was a time that CL place was a given and now we have to fight to even qualify.

Evenly poised game with AFC holding about 60 percent in the first half and then Udinese captain tucked a header in the 38th minute.

Fortunately RVP and TW scored and we won 2-1 and 3-1 agg.

Player of the match Schezney! This guy is going to have a big big time and name with AFC if he doesn't leave soon or success not going to his head.

TW, RVP, Gervinho, Ramsey, Sagna and Song had a good game so did Vermalean BUT the man who stood apart was the goalie: even saved a penalty

Wenger: spend the money, get a main stricker a backie (maybe2) and attacking midfielder pronto.
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:27   #846
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Finally something to cheer about!

Arsenal has made it to CL! Gosh, there was a time that CL place was a given and now we have to fight to even qualify.

Evenly poised game with AFC holding about 60 percent in the first half and then Udinese captain tucked a header in the 38th minute.

Fortunately RVP and TW scored and we won 2-1 and 3-1 agg.
------snip------
Yeah!! Guess they played pretty well and have shaken off some of their nervousness. I have to be in office at 6 in the morning so couldn't watch the game but woke up 10 mins before the game ended so that I could watch the final minutes.

Looks like I was too critical of Gervinho - he will turn out to be a good player. But we will miss Nasri most.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:43   #847
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But we will miss Nasri most.
The Nasri transfer saga has become a joke. Now that he has completed his move to Man City, he says he made the move because the Arsenal fans did not have enough passion. At least Cesc acknowledged the fans and his manager after making the move.

The reminds me of what a certain Fernando Torres did to us Liverpool fans. Although I understood why he made the transfer, the least he could have done was to acknowledge the fans who had idolised him during his time at Liverpool. But, instead he belittles the old fans so that the new fans can forget his huge transfer fee and accept him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
This being a football thread, let me pay my tribute to Baichung Bhutia, who hung up his boots today, and was the lone superstar in Indian Football. It was after his arrival and along with teammates like Vijayan, Ancheri & Carlton that Indian Football was able to make a very very minor step forward from the disaster the team was during 80s

Thank you Bhutia for the 'Good Times' you gave us!!
True! and thanks for bringing this up mallumowgli. Bhaichung Bhutia definitely gave an identity to the Indian football team which was mostly invisible before his arrival. Lets see who fills up his boots.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 25th August 2011 at 11:45.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 14:42   #848
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Finally something to cheer about!

Arsenal has made it to CL! Gosh, there was a time that CL place was a given and now we have to fight to even qualify.
Yes. Finally something to cheer about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Evenly poised game with AFC holding about 60 percent in the first half and then Udinese captain tucked a header in the 38th minute.
IMO Arsenal were clearly better of the two teams. They created more chances, had more possesion and hit the target more than Udinese. Based on the performance of both teams I think Arsenal definitely deserved to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah!! Guess they played pretty well and have shaken off some of their nervousness. I have to be in office at 6 in the morning so couldn't watch the game but woke up 10 mins before the game ended so that I could watch the final minutes.

Looks like I was too critical of Gervinho - he will turn out to be a good player. But we will miss Nasri most.
I too had to be in office early and went to program my DTH box to record the match. However I just couldn't sleep and watched the entire match. Wifey was like - Arsenal will lose and you will come back grumpy. In the end it was time well invested

I also liked the way Gervinho played yesterday. But then these are early days and we have been there with Arshavin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The Nasri transfer saga has become a joke. Now that he has completed his move to Man City, he says he made the move because the Arsenal fans did not have enough passion. At least Cesc acknowledged the fans and his manager after making the move.
And Nasri does not have enough class as a person. I was pretty surprised by his comments. Nobody needs to justify their moves. This is perhaps the most lame excuse for moving. Arsenal fans lack passion - really?
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:32   #849
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 160
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Quote:
I too had to be in office early and went to program my DTH box to record the match. However I just couldn't sleep and watched the entire match. Wifey was like - Arsenal will lose and you will come back grumpy. In the end it was time well invested
It has been the same with me for over 9 years now! Cant sleep when AFC plays - however big or small the match maybe - even with a second rung team! Very difficult to explain this to anyone. Just cant!

Have a colleague who supports AFC - but says 'cant sacrifice sleep' - I on the other hand dont get sleep. But there have been very few instances when this time (post midnight) invested has played off well.

Few of which I remember are (if memory serves me right!) - CL games against Juventus, where your-name-self (Cesc) picked the ball from Patrick's legs and passed on to the King and the second where Inter Milan was defeated 5-3 on aggregate to again the "KING" ruled. Those were the days.

But.......as the saying goes ....."Once a gooner......FOREVER A GOONER!"

All said.. its still early days and we need to find a good sync between flanks and the unit as a whole....we surely are missing a lot of players....on the other hand.... how much ever I despise them.....ManU still rocks!

No offence to ManU supporters...no harsh feelings guys!

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2011 at 11:57. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 17:14   #850
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

[quote=saildrive;2481566]
But.......as the saying goes ....."Once a gooner......FOREVER A GOONER!"

Woohoo, well said! And there are some friends of mine who follow one single player!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
how much ever I despise them.....ManU still rocks!

No offence to ManU supporters...no harsh feelings guys!
Naa - all offense from me fellas.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 08:35   #851
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: World
Posts: 115
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
......as the saying goes ....."Once a gooner......FOREVER A GOONER!"
Well, as far as the team (post 2004) is concerned, one 'o' of the double should have been dropped, don't you think?
.
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 10:35   #852
BHPian
 
athul_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore/Calic
Posts: 26
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Messi wins UEFA best player in Europe award

The voting was done by a panel of journalists who gave 38 votes for Messi, 11 for Xavi and 3 for Cristiano Ronaldo
athul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 10:41   #853
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Messi wins UEFA best player in Europe award

The voting was done by a panel of journalists who gave 38 votes for Messi, 11 for Xavi and 3 for Cristiano Ronaldo
That was well deserved, I would say.

But just 3 votes for Ronaldo, well....
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 14:18   #854
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 577
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Did you guys catch the super cup match between Barca and Porto? This Barca juggernaut shows no signs of slowing down. They are no where near peak fitness but still they were able to put a very good Porto team away with ease. Sure Porto has lost Falcao and obviously AVB but they still played a good game in patches. Went down to 9 men though by the end. They even gifted Messi a goal via a misplaced backpass, like he needs them anyway. This first goal actually took the fight out of them.

And congratulations to Leo Messi for being the best player on the planet (not just Europe) by a country mile. Did you see him accept his award? He is so humble even after all this success, take a bow young man! Hopefully he will turn up in Kolkata with the Argentina team next week. Can't wait!!!!

Coming to United: Alex has been serenading Wenger with his comments in the press. I don't think the team will be charitable to Arsenal though. Although a faint noise in my head tells me that Arsenal will surely be up for the Sunday game. The young guns will be keen to show that they are no mugs when all the talk has been of Fab and Nasri. I couldn't believe what Nasri said though. Glad that we didn't get him, that little ****!

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 27th August 2011 at 14:21.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 18:19   #855
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,597
Thanked: 3,527 Times
Default Re: The Football Thread

Excellent show by Liverpool yesterday. Quite an excellent start to the season.

It will be interesting to see how Arsenal goes today against the might of Man U!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Football World Cup 2014 Thread naveenroy Shifting gears 454 15th July 2014 14:25
Kick - Mumbai's 1st Outdoor Football Arena vvb8530 Shifting gears 14 25th April 2013 12:04
Is cricket more entertaining than football or any other sport?? muni Shifting gears 22 1st May 2008 01:26
Indian Football Finally alive, won Nehru Cup devarshi84 Shifting gears 20 4th September 2007 16:35
Team-BHP Mumbai at the Football World Cup finals!! Sam Kapasi The Team-BHP Meet Section 35 26th July 2006 16:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks