Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd June 2011, 11:47   #1
e46
BHPian

Exclamation Want to work in the Auto Industry!

Dear BHPians,
Its great to be a part of this vibrant community. Appreciate the efforts put in by all of you.

I am looking for a role in Automotive consulting/analyst/strategy formulation for new launches, in the Auto industry, preferably with German Big 4. I have been an avid auto enthusiast for ages and contemplated & tried hard (right from mailing then MUL head Mr. Jagadish Khattar, convincing him for an interview to meeting the head of Navnit Motors, BMW Bangalore) joining an auto major for good. However, things didnt work out and have ever since carried on working in my current profile (IT), only to realise , this is not my field. I feel there is nothing better than making a career out of your passion.

My brief profile:
7+ yrs of industry experience in IT
Allumnus of NIT Allahabad, batch of 2004
Worked with IBM & HP before, currently with a prominent Indian IT major.

Would be indebted if any of you could help me achieving my dream.

Thanks,
Abhishek
e46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:29   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Looking for an Automotive career. Please help me getting a break!

Dear Abhishek,

Even I am on an exactly similar boat. I also want to pursue a career in similar fields as you have mentioned. I also belong to IT. I am an MBA(IT)from Symbiosis and have a work experience of more than 3 years in big Financial Firm.

Even I have similar feelings that I really belong in Automotive sector for my love and passion for the field. Last year I actually emailed my resume and a nicely written cover letter to all major 4/2 wheeler manufacturers in this country. To my surpries I didnt even recieve an acknowledgement from anybody except from BMW.

I spoke to one of uncles who was a production manager in Maruti and asked him what I can do reach my goal. He said its very difficult in companies like Maruti as most of Product planning,Strategy and development happens in Japan. As for the Big 4 they dont manufacture their products Keeping India in mind so I doubt that they even have a proper Product Division in India.

What I have realized is that they dont want Passion, Love or Determination from their candidates. They only need degrees and experience. If you ask me dont even waiste your time in searching for these jobs in India. If you are okay moving abroad try for companies outside India. They might give some more weightage to our passion.

In case you get lucky and do get a job in India in these fields do let me know also brother. I would be indebted to you for life.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Looking for an Automotive career. Please help me getting a break!

I guess you are have chosen a different career path and had not pursued the discipline of your interest initially.

In the current scenario, have you tried the Truck/ Bus ( MNC's if you are particular thus) industry that is currently on the rise in India and then it could be easier for a switch in profile to the Car industry, if that is your requirement.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 04:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Want to work in the Auto Industry!

You are not new here. I too have tried my possible best to get into the auto industry and inspite of having degree in Mech Engg, have not been able to make it simply because companies, like someone rightly said, look only for degrees and years of experience in the same field.

It is, in my opinion, pointless mate. These things don't work in India, unless you have the right contacts.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 06:36   #5
BHPian

I also emailed VW once with my profile. Things didn't work out. Alas - stuck with IT.
greatpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 09:50   #6
BHPian

firstly, if the auto industry is really your passion , then i would suggest that you guys keep on trying, there's absolutely no point in losing heart and giving up.

Secondly, I would suggest that you guys find out what are the exact requirements for the profile that you want, and ensure that you know everything about it. Yes, you wont have any experience but at least, it would emphasize the your passion for the field.Also, try finding a profile which is very close to your present role

Thirdly, here are the few roadblocks i can foresee and I am sure you already know about :

a. NOT having the right degree
b. NOT having the right experience
c. Wrong expectations

Essentially, a mechanical engineering degree fresher can start in the industry and the experience takes him forward. I personally even know of people who don't have engineering degrees and work in the industry.

I cannot stress the importance of getting your "FOOT in the DOOR" in this industry. The BIG 4 or 5 will obviously be nonchalant towards you (if you don't have the right experience or the degree because they have a plethora of talent pool after them - with vast experience too). and this is not only true for the Indian industry, its true for every single industry in the world.

If you are dead serious, I would suggest gunning for the small companies/players such as Premier or Force Motors or ICML; such companies would definitely be more flexible.

However, your biggest problem will be your remuneration because, for obvious reasons, i doubt you will be offered the same salary(as your present one). This will be another major hurdle, and the decision will be yours to make.

Hope you guys find what you are looking for.

Best of luck.
rk206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Want to work in the Auto Industry!

Guys, compared to other fields, pay in Auto Sector is miniscule. You may be around with cars but, at the end of the day "Passion" counts to the individual, the company is out to make business. They don't care about your passion. Only way of getting into Auto field is if you have contacts with very Senior people in the organization no matter what field you were in initially (I have seen numerous cases like these).

BTW, I have worked as a R&D Engineer with a Major Indian OEM for 4 eventful years.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote