Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th June 2010, 10:02   #316
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for the back to back post. I gave a listen to the song which was freely given away by IM. Bruce's vocal chords are as good as ever. At least on the album cannot see the age of these guys.

Texture sounds more like Dance of Death.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 11:39   #317
BHPian

Testament in India?!

Inspite of not being a fan of Slayer I do love Testament so I guess I will be making the trip if this happens.

ps: Also have to check out the Maiden site.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 20:00   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
AyAn, hello from a Priest fan...they are a band I would dearly love to see live someday!
Same here,though I feel they lack that punch when performing live.Nothing beats Maiden or Queen when it comes to performing live.Even GnR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Ihsahn from Emperor was asked to name the perfect metal song. he nominated JP's Painkiller. It's the quintessential metal song cos it has everything from screams, tempo, riffs, plenty of awesome solos, and even a drum solo at the beginning!

I'm not a die hard Priest fan but Painkiller is one of those casettes that I played so many times, it wore out! I actually had to buy a new one!
I'd say their best song is 'Beyond the Realms of Death'.Easily one of my favorite metal numbers.Lacks the brutality of 'Painkiller' or other typical Priest fare,but it makes it up for being soulful,totally unlike Priest! And its got two utterly mind blowing solos,probably one of the best I've heard and to die for!

Other tracks worth a listen are 'Touch of Evil','Night Crawler','You've got another thing coming',and 'Turbo Lover'!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 22:12   #319
Team-BHP Support

The Guitar Solo of "Beyond the realms of the death" is simply amazing ! Never seen such in other Priest Albums. Did try the latest version. Nostradamus. They did try to get back into the original mode. with the old lineup.
Old 9th June 2010, 00:40   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Guitar Solo of "Beyond the realms of the death" is simply amazing ! Never seen such in other Priest Albums. Did try the latest version. Nostradamus. They did try to get back into the original mode. with the old lineup.
Initially when I listened to Nostradamus, I was very dissapointed largely due to the fact that expectations were too high..

Later after listening to the entire album 4-5 times, i was able to appreciate it but they could do a lot better.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 00:49   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Goes without saying! Priest have lost their sheen now.But look at Maiden-still going strong!

Quote:
The way I discovered new bands was not through friends, but through internet user groups. The most important being Iron Maiden. Once they discussed what folks listen to between two IM releases. And that is how I discovered a whole new set of bands. Guardian, Fates Warning, Opeth, DT, Faith No More, Symphony-X, Riverside, Porcupine tree and many many more. Then it was more like following one thread after another.
'A fair judgement' by Opeth! Another favorite,deep and powerful track! Never was a fan of Porcupine Tree,can you suggest some good numbers? I don't dig heavy metal much now,am more of a classics guy now,mostly.But I love punk and alternative too.Sometimes grunge! I swear by Creedence Clearwater,Deff Leppard,Bee Gees,Dire Straits,The Ramones,Hendrix and more! And yes,the Scorpions,Kiss,Alice Cooper,GnR and Nirvana too! Some blast from the past,currently filling up my play-list-

'Have you ever seen the rain'-Creedence Clearwater
'Every rose has its thorn'-Poison
'Surrender'-Cheap Trick
'2 Steps behind'-Deff Leppard
'Don't know what you got till its gone'-Cindrella
'Sweet Home Alabama'-Lynard Skynard
'Son of a preacher man'-Janis Joplin
'Sheena is a punk rocker'-The Ramones...

And coming to punk/alternative,the list is huge.I give a listen to whatever I can lay my hands on.Right now,I'm hooked onto 'Blonde on Blonde' by Nada Surf.Do try it out!
OT-Anybody tried Death Cab for Cutie? They are brilliant!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 07:21   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Never was a fan of Porcupine Tree,can you suggest some good numbers? I don't dig heavy metal much now,am more of a classics guy now,mostly.
Did not find Porcupine too good for my taste as well. But I would suggest the Polish Progressive band Riverside. Beautiful and soaring guitars in a true Floydian mix! Very nice. Try the album "Out of Myself"

Current track list: Rainbow, Guardian, Bruce's Solo (IM vocalist) Albums.

Many times I resort to a lot carnatic classicals!

Last edited by ampere : 9th June 2010 at 07:23.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:58   #323
BHPian

Quote:
That solo simply mind blowing - one reason why I rate Glenn Tipton highly.

ampere: this line-up has been around a long time except the Tim Owens era in the 90s.

Priest were never a band who experimented a lot (before Nostradamus) or pushed the boundaries of their abilities the way some other bands do but they have been very consistent in putting out classic heavy metal with great vocals and stellar guitar work. They have tried something new with the orchestra/arrangements in the new album and I think older fans need to appreciate them for trying it out.

AyAn: they may have lost a bit of energy in live shows (well they are 60+) and yes its hard to beat Iron Maiden in terms of live energy but it still is a very good show. I put on my copy of Rising in the East quite often on my dvd player.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:48   #324
BHPian

Priest are a great band, no doubt about that. Tipton is also pretty awesome and so is Beyond the Realm of Death. The song was released in 1978! The global metal scene has exploded recently and it's almost like the '80's again where a lot of interesting music is being released and boundaries are being pushed.No offence guys, but there has been a lot more great metal music since then. If some of you are still listening just playing Maiden,Priest and the old bands (no doubt they are great) you're missing out on a hell of a lot great new music. There's a lot more to Metal today than Metallica, Maiden and Priest. Pls don't misunderstand me I'm not criticising. I just want you to check out new music, much of which is as good as the classics if not better!
cheers
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 15:29   #325
BHPian

I am checking out newer music much more than I used to in the past (thanks to broadband!) and recommendations on forums like ours Wolfheart..
there indeed are some good newer bands out there.

But to be really honest I and many older metalheads like me (who got hooked back in the 80s or early 90s) would much prefer the older bands than the bands of today...no offence at all - but I still prefer most of the 80s Thrash bands (Testament, Kreator, Exodus, Megadeth), progressive/death metal (Atheist, Death) and even some of the old school Death Metal bands (Obituary, Morbid Angel..) to the newer extreme metal bands.

But that does not mean I cannot enjoy some of the newer stuff at all though.

edit: @Wolfheart, I was thinking of you as a young metalhead but just clicked on your profile and I see that we are the same age..lol, sorry!

Last edited by Abhay : 9th June 2010 at 15:31.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:39   #326
BHPian

Lol dude

Age is just a state of mind. Heck I still have the same look that I had in college (long hair, goatee et all). Just like you I was initiated into metal with Megadeth Slayer and Sepultura. I discovered the older stuff (sabbath, maiden) much later. I still spin Peace Sells, Reign in Blood and Fear of the Dark along with stuff like Gorgoroth, Enslaved, Rammstein and even Sunno)))! I just love the way metal has evolved into so many subgenres recently!
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 17:52   #327
Team-BHP Support

Abhay, I did mean Change in vocalist only. Nostradamus did sound good to me. Just that I could not take the length of the album (2 volumes).

@Wolfheart, I do try to find new bands. I am not a mjor fan of thrash, but great guitar solos are always good to die for.

My metal journey started only a decade back. All my collections formed in the last decade only. You can imagine my ignorance, when in the second year college, when some one was playing "another brick in the wall", I asked what is that song

For me all bands have been a discovery.

Along with Maiden/Priest/Megadeath I also found Tull, Rush, Led Zep, Dire Straits, Yes, Floyd in the classic modes! I have all of their in entirety.

In the mid world order I found:
Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Queensryche/DT/Blind Guardian etc.

Similary in the new world order (if you can call them) I found Night wish, Opeth, Riverside, Symphony X, Faith No More, Fates Warning and so on.

During these discoveries I also enjoyed the Guitar Maetros Satriani, Vai, Malmstein, Van Halen, Petrucci etc.

Radios introduced me to alternative Creed/Nirvana/Lifehouse/POD/Puddle of Mud/ Linkin Park etc. Listened to some of them, but did not buy many.

Some how never got to like much of slayer/Motley Crue / Anthrax and the likes. Did not hear them much due their sound.
Hence I cannot comment on any of them.

And the discovery continues...

Looking forward from you guys to find more bands.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:12   #328
BHPian

Yep, Wolf age is indeed a state of mind and we still have lot of head-banging left to do!

I was initiated (so to speak) by a school friend of mine on a staple of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Priest, Dio etc. Later on I was lucky to have a friend in college who introduced me to Testament, Sepultura, Obituary, Death et al.

From the newer breed of bands (even these are 90s bands), I have become a fan of bands like Iced Earth, Opeth, Atheist, Dark Tranquillity etc.

Have always remained a fan of pioneers/classic acts like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and Hendrix.

In the recent past have discovered and liked newer bands like e.g Gojira, Shadows Fall, Orphaned Land, Dth, Mastodon etc

But more importantly, I have stumbled upon/re-discovered some gems of the past which I had no way of listening to (no CDs in shops) and some cracking new albums of older bands (especially Thrash Metal which is my favourite genre)
e.g Watchtower, Coroner, Dark Angel, Pestilence, Exodus

but then as ampere says the discovery continues...
Old 9th June 2010, 18:29   #329
Senior - BHPian

Wow, good to see some "aging" metal-heads here. And I was starting to think I was getting too old when some of the new-age-metal-lover dudes here in office talk about the new stuff and I am like - what? No man, give me my old-school-metal anytime. But guess I should start listening to some of the new stuff too properly. I have tried but cannot really like growl-metal or some of the newer death-metal bands. For me, there has to be some great guitar riffs, awesome, heavy lyrics and some great vocals. Thats metal!

\m/
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 18:57   #330
Team-BHP Support

Yes I forgot to mention Iced Earth! Glorius Burden was the order of the day! Beautiful. Then I bought other albums Horrow Show, Night of the Storm Rider and Most recently The Cruicible of Man.

Its still spinning in my ipod. (Spinning? Some words die hard!)

Blind Guardian's power ballads are another set of songs I absolutely adore.
Multi-Tracked Vocals, soaring guitars and my day is made.

Off late I have started to catalogue all my collections. Just a nice way capture your records.