Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd February 2006, 14:38   #31
BHPian

I hear good things about it from everyone. Waitin for it to come out on DVD to watch it at home coz I cant go to the cinema.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:31   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Good 1st half after which the movie hits a wall.. doesnt go anywhere and finally in deperation the director takes the very very filmy route to the climax....
Infact i found the second half more meaningful, though funny would be an understatement for the first half.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:26   #33
BHPian

Hey the story of the air force pilot is a real life story from PUNE well this is the one movie which made my eyes wet just love the movie very much good one KEEP IT UP GUYS GOOD JOB DONE
Suyog_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 02:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Even though, i don't understand a bit of hindi and my movie companion wasn't different...I felt the movie STRONGLY. This is definitely NOT a commercial movie.
This movie must make the youth in our country think.Ignite the fire in us.
Its proud to see two tamil stars( siddharth & madhavan) in a hindi movie.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 09:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I felt the movie STRONGLY. This is definitely NOT a commercial movie.
This movie must make the youth in our country think.Ignite the fire in us.
Its proud to see two tamil stars( siddharth & madhavan) in a hindi movie.

... also i think madhavan has acted in a few more hindi movies if i am not mistaken.. The movie was good.. and i liked the first half of the movie.. second half was ok.. and also the story about the migs has some kind of truth in them.. with all the recent migs crashing and all that....pity...the government is doing nothing to replace them.. .
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 10:29   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the movie this weekend. Very clever movie... i must say. The director had his finger on the pulse of today's generation and exploited it to his full advantage. I can almost hear him go laughing all the way to the bank!!!
But is it a good movie? Does it give anything else other than a shape to the frustration of the people? Does it offer any solace??
A bad movie is one which you cant watch to completion.
An ok movie is one which you can watch end to end but if u think about it, you could have spent your time in a much better way.
A good movie is one which gives you the feeling of time well spent.
A great movie is one which stays with you after it gets over, giving you something to think about long after you get out of the cinema hall.

And RDB falls somewhere between an ok movie and a good movie.

Directorially, no great shakes about it. Comparing Jallian Wala Bagh episode to a lathicharge was epitome of overkill. What was the director trying to prove by showing the Jallian Wala Bagh episode again and again? Yeah that morphing of the characters into freedom fighters of black n white era was cool... or was it? When was the first time i saw morphing??? Black Or White, anyone?

Aamir Khan was hardly convincing as a spoilt Punju brat. That guy siddharth's (that "singhania" fellow) dialog delivery was as flat as the test match pitches of pakistan. Soha was a fresh breeze though.

Anyways... thats just my opinion.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 15:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Boy-oh-Boy... A different Take on Rang De Basanti.. Your Comments!

Came across this article on ibnlive.com while looking for Budget 2006-2007. Very well written article..... dont just read the article... make it a point to go to the link and read comments on the article.

Rang De Bizarre

Five badly behaved but photogenic young louts, and their hanger-on girl, regularly gather at night at a geographical feature resembling the Grand Canyon. There they take deep slugs of beer. Next they speed through rural Punjab on motorbikes and eat parathas with one of their mothers who tells them about Sikh folklore. One of them returns home, which is a pillared palace, where a nasty father sips whiskey in the morning and clinches an evil weapons deal. The "Muslim" member of the gang goes back to a very "Muslim" home where a lungi-clad dad is waiting to deliver a short seminar paper on Partition, vote bank politics and other "Muslim" issues.

A pretty (but cerebral) cultural tourist from Britain arrives. She reminds the foul-mouthed brats about their history. She wants to (and does) make a documentary on Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad in which the five take the main roles. Each of the gang informs the British tourist about the hollowness of their lives by delivering caricature-speeches entitled "Youth Alienation". "I am young," they intone, "but without ideals. Am therefore cut off from my country. My country is bad. The system sucks. Therefore I am an alienated youth." But as the documentary progresses and the British film-maker introduces them to Bhagat Singh and others, they realise how best they can conquer their boredom. By assassinating some important people, of course.

The five ghastly friends have a fighter pilot friend whom they don't seem to care about much. Or do they? We never know. In fact, this friendship with the fighter pilot is the most crucial relationship in the film but it doesn't get more than three seconds of time or script. On one single occasion the gang rides with the pilot to a ruined monument with MiGs flying overhead. Later, the fighter pilot friend is killed piloting a MiG, and the five decide that even though they've not spent much time with the fighter pilot, even though they don't really know him too well, they must immediately murder the Defence Minister. So they do. They also kill the awful whisky-oriented dad who got rich from bringing in the MiGs in the first place. While they kill the neta and the dad, pictures of Bhagat Singh and Azad play in the background, forcing us to believe that criminal spoilt brats are actually freedom fighters.

The climax of Rang de Basanti is perhaps the most chilling, the most strange. It takes place in the glare of 24-hour news media and radio. It is a technicolour death on TV. Young people from all across the land roar out their approval of the bloody-minded youths on TV. The action unfolds on TV and FM radio, as the fallen five wait to die in a denouement captured in second-to-second radio and television drama. A mammoth TV crowd bellows out its hatred of the politician. Another TV throng screams its loathing of The System. A jostling, demented, anarchic TV populace, like a purple-faced crowd in a Roman amphitheatre, yells for more blood to be spilled, both of villain and hero. All on 24-hour-TV. Scary!

Why is Rang de Basanti a scary film? Because it is a film that is unable to distinguish between media and reality. It is the ultimate made-in-media-India film. It is not rooted in any kind of reality, does not explore the position of the politician in our society, nor does it tell any kind of tale of heroism and ideals, nor does it bother to find real believable people in a real believable situation. Sure Bollywood is all fantasy anyway, but the best fantasies are always those that are, as Javed Akhtar once said, like kites that are tied firmly to a stake in the earth not simply kites in free fall. The transcendant brilliance of Sholay was not just its luminous script but its perfectly located reality: the fact that the story was real, the characters were believable. Veeru and Jai are far greater patriots than the neon-lit young people of Rang de Basanti gyrating to disco music one night and gunning down the Defence Minister the next.

Some blame the electronic media. That 24-hour news television is fostering a brute unthinking hatred of the politician and the 'The System'. Fostering hatred in full technicolour, where politician-abuse creates media stars on the one hand, and on the other creates a simple-minded society where the young must either be drunk or suicidal killers. But that's an unfair criticism. The media simply does its job and its job is to expose, to bombard and to deliver news. The media is undoubtedly a double-edged sword. It brings the politician up for public scrutiny in a sensational way. Yet, the media is also a robust public service that democratises debate and brings lofty issues right down to the street or to the panchayat or to the college dorm. It would be unfair to accuse the media of encouraging young people to murder politicians.

A democratic citizenry must see the media as its ally in activism, not seek to gear its life to being on camera, as this film shows its heroes doing. A democratic citizenry must not become so enamoured, indeed so enslaved, by the media that it seeks to emulate it in daily life. To become a dumb media animal with no sense of life or perspective outside radio or television, is to waltz closer to the abyss. An abyss of glittering bingo halls and bizarre "locales" with no sense of how people actually live or speak, other than that captured by the camera. The media is a comrade in the fight, not a god which demands obedience.

Even youthful nationalism is not what Rang De Basanti makes it out to be. A group of idealistic young students from IIT have recently launched a "political party" . Started in Jodhpur, its called Paritrana and its national president is a BTech in Aerospace from IIT Bombay. Their aim is the "complete relief from distress" and they've been carrying out quiet unfussy door to door campaigns across Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. In fact, many public-spirited young people are working at all kinds of initiatives across India and lots of dramatic films can be made on the many complex situations that are arising every day in their lives.

Rang De Basanti does a terrible disservice to the nationalism of India's young people. It wilfully paints modern day patriots as unthinking anti-establishment killers. It foolishly creates a myth known as Gen Next which does nothing but drink and dance. And it promotes a leviathan media as the ultimate interpreter of India. The fact that Rang de Basanti is a hit shows just how catastrophically distant we are getting from reality, where we're happy to live from media image to media image, from frame to frame, without realising the depth and profundity of "ordinary" human dramas.

The link: http://www.ibnlive.com/blogs/blog_en...&author_id=223

Post ur comments here too.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 16:09   #38
BHPian

Hats off to Sagarika for telling the truth like it is.. The mindlessness of commercial Hindi cinema is numbing...
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 17:43   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally!! I hated the movie, and dreaded sitting through the Inox for 2 hours plus. I really could not understand the sensibility or entertainment in this flick.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 23:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

I'll just add my 2 cents to the discussion. Amitoj, i totally agreew ith you that RDB was between ok and good. Far from being mediocre, IMO, generally speaking. Of the newcomers, i thought the guy who played the role of the muslim in the group was very good.

Now lets get to the critical side. Firstly, i think the emotions/feelings were exaggerated. From the 'India is going to hell" kind of attitude to the laathi-charge scene. Secondly, the love story between Aamir and the foreign girl was totally unnecessary and pointless. But my biggest gripe was the ending. I felt it was unnecessarily exagerated and totally un-realistic. I guess the director made it so to emphasise on the patriotism.

What do you guys think about the ending? Any one agree/disagree with me?
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 03:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

pure entertainment.
go to the hall.
feel bad about india.
feel good about the youth shown there.
shed some tears if u have.
keepthinking all the way to house.

get back to work.

why would somebody want to discuss it weeks after watching it ;-) it's pure commercial masala for momentary pleasure.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 12:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
pure entertainment.
go to the hall.
feel bad about india.
feel good about the youth shown there.
shed some tears if u have.
keepthinking all the way to house.
get back to work.
why would somebody want to discuss it weeks after watching it ;-) it's pure commercial masala for momentary pleasure.
I thought u were talking about a Govinda Movie !
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 16:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

On the entertainment front this movie was good. But it's way far from reality. Did you ever see in India a silent mob being laati charged, minister blaming pilot for the accident and the media and opposition keeping silent and finally defence minister going for walk with just 2 body guards. And finally the climax is completey out of reality. These points which were crucial in the story line should have been handled more appropriately.

I liked the smooth transition between history and today.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 16:17   #44
Team-BHP Support

Silent mobs lathicharged? Well I have seen silent mobs being fired at. Just 15 years ago. Defence minister thing was a bit far fretched, should have been handled better.
And as for shooting by commandos and all, its common in india to kill people in fake encounters by branding them as terrorists
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 18:17   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Silent mobs lathicharged? Well I have seen silent mobs being fired at. Just 15 years ago. Defence minister thing was a bit far fretched, should have been handled better.
And as for shooting by commandos and all, its common in india to kill people in fake encounters by branding them as terrorists
Hmmm... could not agree more on that commando part... in fact political decision in a similar circumstances will always be the same. So there it was being pretty realistic. Politicians do not stand being dragged and sullied so easily and they immediately close ranks.

However that defence minister shooting from his lips like there is no tomorrow was a bit idiotic. Even an uneducated minister in this country knows when to keep his trap shut. A more realistic scenario would have been to get a mock enquiry conducted at the defence minister's behest and then implicate the pilot... it would have looked mroe realistic.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote