Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th February 2013, 21:39   #106
BHPian

Default Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Any pointers to a place in Bangalore where I could buy a wooden swing - I'm looking for the classic style plank with brass chains for indoor use.
xoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 22:10   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Why an office chair?

Because an office chair is designed for sitting at a desk ---either at home or at work--- and the ergonomic ones, if not all the "posh" ones, are designed to make that easy on our bodies if we either need or choose to do it for long hours.

Why a posh one?

because, hopefully, if bought wisely, it will prove better value than replacing cheap ones. My current chair, although everything about it is broken now, is almost thirty years old (half as old as I am!) and functioned well for about twenty of them.

And,

As with the cars we buy, there are reasons other than simple practicality, for our decisions. Pride of ownership comes into it as well.

One thing more to add to my Test Drive Review...

Dealership Experience so far...

It was good. Clearly, these people are major suppliers and office designers and outfitters. Big stuff. Granted, we were the only customers on the premises, but that does not mean they might not have been busy. They clearly had no problem at all with our requirement for merely one chair! The guy had all the time in the world for us, demonstrating, explaining and shifting stuff around. Good.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 01:35   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do they have decent chairs at her work? Rather than spend your money, could they let you have one at home. Perhaps she could even have her own chair from the office until she returns to her desk. If they are looking after her re the sick leave and work-from-home, they might do this too? ps... love the sig!
I'm think her office chair caused this herniated disk. So the chair that I buy for her, goes along with her to her office whenever she joins back. (If she does ) So I'm going to the Featherlite showroom tomorrow. Heard from them that they've come out with new chairs. Someone I know who suffered from an herniated disk got one nice chair from these guys and it seems to do the job.

Wish I could buy her a Herman Miller's Embody. My better-half, for the matter of fact, wrote their press release when they launched in India for Deccan Herald.

Thanks for the sig compliment. 200+ posts and it can't continue as "pending". But I'll try to keep something as unusual as this

Last edited by creative420 : 13th February 2013 at 01:36. Reason: More info
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 02:19   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh, ok, so I had her chair situation back to front. The embody is great indeed, but what a silly price, although the only other thing (apart from a car) that I've spent that kind of money on is a bed --- and we spend a lot of time in those too.
Old 13th February 2013, 10:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Ahh, ok, so I had her chair situation back to front. The embody is great indeed, but what a silly price, although the only other thing (apart from a car) that I've spent that kind of money on is a bed --- and we spend a lot of time in those too.
True that. I picked up a nice ortho mattress from Foam India for 32K about a week back. One must take care of their back/spine, if desk-job is what is in store for us for the rest of our lives

Last edited by creative420 : 13th February 2013 at 10:17.
Old 13th February 2013, 10:56   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

We sleep on a Foam India mattress. It was such a relief to get rid of the choir thing (or should that be concrete?) that I mistakenly bought when I first came to live here. Even my wife, who can (or could) sleep traditional on a mat on the floor, thought it was too hard!

A good latex mattress is fully and evenly supportive, moulding to the back just right. It is also breathable, and, contrary to widely-held misconceptions, is cool and ideal to this climate. That's real latex: none of that is true of cheap foam substitutes.

A friend of mine in London, with severe body pains, saved up for a Tempur mattress. She said it changed her life. But like Herman Miller chairs, this is a big investment. Probably adding zeros to the cost of latex.

Our Foams-India mattress needed airing for about two days to get rid of the strong rubber smell. After that it was fine.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th February 2013 at 10:58.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:00   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Herman Miller Test Drive

I went to Buildcraft this afternoon and bored my poor wife while I spent an hour or so sitting in and out of different chairs. Whilst I had not intended to include the Embody, it inevitably got dragged in to make a threesome of chairs to test.

The Embody...

The Mirra...

The Aeron...
~
Nice review there. Could you please post the prices as well?
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 12:08   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

The prices are configuration specific, but you can get a very good idea from Buildcraft's own site, which includes an online shopping facility.

Here are some sample prices:

Mirra: 73,000
Aeron: 78,000
Embody: 1,10,000
Old 13th February 2013, 13:15   #114
BHPian

Quote:
We sleep on a Foam India mattress. It was such a relief to get rid of the choir thing (or should that be concrete?) that I mistakenly bought when I first came to live here. Even my wife, who can (or could) sleep traditional on a mat on the floor, thought it was too hard!

A good latex mattress is fully and evenly supportive, moulding to the back just right. It is also breathable, and, contrary to widely-held misconceptions, is cool and ideal to this climate. That's real latex: none of that is true of cheap foam substitutes.

A friend of mine in London, with severe body pains, saved up for a Tempur mattress. She said it changed her life. But like Herman Miller chairs, this is a big investment. Probably adding zeros to the cost of latex.

Our Foams-India mattress needed airing for about two days to get rid of the strong rubber smell. After that it was fine.

Yeah. Same here. So much better than the coir mattress we were using (which now goes in the guest bedroom to cut down on their stays :P).

How long have you been using this Foam India mattress? And which variant have you got? The dealer told me the life of the mattress is 25 years. If that holds true, then well, that's just Rs.4 per day of sound sleep.
Old 13th February 2013, 15:28   #115
BHPian

Thad,

To know any chair and feel it completely you need to use it for a week and test all its features. Thats when you would realise which is the best one for you. Trust me I have friends who took the Mirra for week and never left it till date.

I know you wont have that luxury since your buying for your private use.
PC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 23:13   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, we had the Aeron on trial at our office, for a particular director who had a back problem. Everybody who sat in it loved it. I think I could, but, plainly, the internet reveals that everybody's favourite chair is not everybody's favourite chair!

I am slim and boney: the Mirra feels a bit too "tightly strung" for me. It is harder on my backside, and does not accommodate my shoulders like the other two chairs do, otherwise it is a really great chair. Probably the best looking too --- and I do love that adjustable seat front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Yeah. Same here. So much better than the coir mattress we were using (which now goes in the guest bedroom to cut down on their stays :P).
My mother had a similar plan. She kept a narrow, uncomfortable, single bed in the spare room. Whenever I complained about it she said that if she got a better one, people would come and stay

Quote:
How long have you been using this Foam India mattress? And which variant have you got?
Only a few years, and I don't know what it is called. I recall that I picked the one with the holes in it. Softer and better ventilation.

Many of these things in life, if costed by actual use, work out far cheaper than they seem when we buy them. Unfortunately that does not always apply to cars: If I costed out running my car I'd have to sell it! Far cheaper to take cabs and autos, because I just don't use it that much.

Which means even more time at home. In the chair!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th February 2013 at 23:18.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

I read about an exercise ball chair some time ago but forgot about it - http://lifehacker.com/5830748/why-i-...-it-feels-like

This is available in the US for 78$ - http://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-In...p/B000VK7CEG/r

But in India for 18000 Rs :-(
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Power-Systems...-/370755635328

I would really buy one if it were available for less than 5000 Rs.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 23:19   #118
BHPian

Folks, I am looking for venetian blinds for the kitchen window of our house. I found a perfect size in Amazon store. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2QC5YG24S01MR

Is there anywhere I can get the same in Bangalore?
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 17:49   #119
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy a bean bag. What kind of shops sell bean bags? What should I look for in a bean bag? What's the price range?

I am looking for a bean bag where I can sit with a laptop and work for a few hours when I am sick and tired of sitting on a table/chair?

I live in Mulund, Mumbai - so any shop recommendations near by would also be good.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 18:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking to buy a bean bag. What kind of shops sell bean bags? What should I look for in a bean bag? What's the price range?

I am looking for a bean bag where I can sit with a laptop and work for a few hours when I am sick and tired of sitting on a table/chair?

I live in Mulund, Mumbai - so any shop recommendations near by would also be good.
I would really recommend lazybags , just add a dot com and that's your website address http://www.lazybags.com/. I got a couple of XXL ones 4 years ago and they are still going strong. Very good material as well. Plus I think they are based in Mumbai too, I got them from one of the expos that happened in blr.

Though I would not recommend using bean bags for too long while working on the laptop, the wrist position just doesn't make u feel comfortable for too long. Ok for a little while though.

Edit : price for XXL should be around 3-4k I think, been a while but I vaguely remember paying 3 or 3.5 k , completely worth it though. Have used other bags too but these are a class apart.

Last edited by sammyboy : 6th May 2013 at 18:09.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote