Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 6th July 2011, 16:01   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Query regarding Law schools to members from the legal profession &/or..

I had to go through all these doubts when my daughter opted for law 2 years back. On Merit she qualified at ILS and GLC both. In CLAT 2009 she managed upto Patiala and in 2010 Raipur. Difficult decisions had to be made and she finally opted for ILS. In 2009 it was ranked higher than now. Would have take up NLS if she had made it atleast in Bhopal or Jodhpur.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 18:32   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Query regarding Law schools to members from the legal profession &/or..

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
I had to go through all these doubts when my daughter opted for law 2 years back. On Merit she qualified at ILS and GLC both. In CLAT 2009 she managed upto Patiala and in 2010 Raipur. Difficult decisions had to be made and she finally opted for ILS. In 2009 it was ranked higher than now. Would have take up NLS if she had made it atleast in Bhopal or Jodhpur.
Yes I can understand what you went through, and that too only because I am going through the same grind!

While a school with a huge fan following is an ideal solution to the problem it is not necessarily the most optimum solution.To cite an instance one of my nieces has qualified from Amity Law School under the auspices of IP university and is now with a highly reputed senior counsel at the Supreme Court. If she succeeds very soon she will be in the judicial service.

The only apprehensions/misgivings I had were due to the fact while the management is the same, the fact remains that Amity Law School under Amity Univ is a newer entity. However with 3 batches of graduates under their belt , a good number of who are doing good work, this is a gamble I am going to take subject to my daughter agreeing.

I do not see any substantial incremental benefit chasing a law school in the NLS system by repeating CLAT as it is not of great importance to us that she starts with a job in a star law firm or an appointment as a legal officer in some large corporation. I would rather she cuts her teeth in a law practice where she is exposed to the every day nitty gritty of legal work and chooses her direction ( litigation/ consultation ) from there.
RS_DEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 14:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Yes I can understand what you went through, and that too only because I am going through the same grind!

I do not see any substantial incremental benefit chasing a law school in the NLS system by repeating CLAT as it is not of great importance to us that she starts with a job in a star law firm or an appointment as a legal officer in some large corporation. I would rather she cuts her teeth in a law practice where she is exposed to the every day nitty gritty of legal work and chooses her direction ( litigation/ consultation ) from there.
Would she? Let her have the freedom. Being from one these law schools I would suggest, changing law schools if she gets through next year to NLS is not a bad idea. Lot of people in my batch for example had done 1 year of law from some other college, and never ever regretted changing when they got the option the next year. She will have more freedom to choose her direction then.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote