Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th July 2011, 13:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Business magazines, anyone?

I was wondering, how many of the TBHPians go thro Business Magazines.
I know we all have discussed reagarding Auto Magazines, but dint see any thread regarding Business Magazines.

So here are the questions:
1. Which Business magazine do you read regularly
2. Do you read International business magazines like Economist, Fortune Forbes etc
3. Do anyone subscribe to any business magazine. How is the service.

The main intent of starting this thread is, I am an avid reader of BusinessWorld. I am thinking of subscibing for BW from the publishers. Wanted to know if this is worth it.
Does anyone have any bad / good experience with subscriptions.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 15:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Business magazines, anyone?

Nice thread, thanks for initiating. I'm hoping to find some member-suggested reads as the discussion progresses.

My regular reads:
Fortune (No.1 choice for me)
Business World (India)
Business Standard (Few articles though, have to be very selective with BS when reading)

Business Standard & Forbes, I find incredibly boring though. If I'd to pick one business mag, it would be Fortune.

BTW, I read more of their articles online than in print. Why subscribe at all?

Also look up Knowledge@Wharton (online) for some super reading material.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 15:51   #3
BHPian

As GTO suggested, why subscribe to print editions when you can read most of the stuff online for free. But yes, I can understand the 'pleasure' of holding the magazine and reading it. For that I ocassionaly pick them up from bookstores. That way, you get to read what you want and you can try various publications.

Here are a couple of my reads:

The Economist
Time
Forbes

Also, apart from Knowledge@Wharton, do check out Harvard Business Review (HBR) and McKinsey Quarterly.

Also, given the time constraints most of us face, I believe reading a magazine is a luxury most of us cannot afford. We 'read,' 'gather' most of information online. In such a case I would suggest:

The Wall Street Journal
The Financial Times
Bloomberg (Businessweek)
Reuters
The Big 4 (PwC, KPMG, Deloitte and E&Y) thought leadership articles.

Spending a couple of hours each day going through these websites helps a lot and keeps you well informed.
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

@GTO,

Thanks for your views.

Even I read BusinessWorld whenever time permits compared to all other Indian Business magazines.
Its crisp and covers enough details to know for that week.
Off late I have realized I am not that regular in reading.

I visit the sites and I also check twitter updates of Business mags, but I am not in depth into anything.

Thats why thought I will subscribe to make sure I am uptodate on the news.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 19:23   #5
BHPian

Thanks Xingy for creating this thread, would love to see other TBHPians input as well. This was something I was looking for sometime back to help me decide which one to subscribe for. I ended up subscribing Economist and very happy with that, good source for international news and has got content to satisfy every reader and data oriented too. They have ipad and iphone app too using which you can download audio version too. Online, I check WSJ India, Economic Times, ETL@ Stanford GSB, Knowledge@Wharton and Mckinsey Quarterly.

Cheers,
venks
venks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 10:36   #6
BHPian

Nice thread. I regularly buy Business Today magazine. I find it is good for general reading, with the interviews and other articles. I also read Economic Times and Bloomberg online. I used to read Bloomberg Markets (print edition - not the businessweek), when I was employed, as we used to get it free, no VFM to subscribe due to the mailing charges.
AjiGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 19:07   #7
BHPian

Very nice thread. I am a big time 'Business Today' fan. Have been a subscriber and reader since 8 years now. I mainly like the survey feature that they come up with in almost all issues. Something that I look forward to every fortnight.

I like Kushan Mitra's column, though lately he seems to have become quite opinionated and tends to be adamant about his judgements. Used to follow him on Twitter too but found him too arrogant. Jeremy Clarkson part II.

Previously this magazine used to cost just 10/- and was very affordable. They have increased the prices lately but they haven't compromised on the quality of their newsprint, which is a very good thing. Good quality newsprint helps the magazine to be stored in pristine condition for long in case if you like to preserve certain editions for the value of their content.

Business World would be number 2; loses out to Business Today anyday. Didn't find the Indian versions of Forbes or Fortune to be informative at all. The original versions have a really nice packaging of content and well informed articles.
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote