Old 9th February 2006, 13:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Can any Indian Idol do it ?

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2006/feb/09sld4.htm

A filmfare maybe ??
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 13:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just went thru the article. No Indian will ever make it at the western awards, therefore perish the thought.

Mariah Carey is a 'Diva' ????????
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 14:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Steer - i said a FIlmfare - read the quote above
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 14:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about Indian Idol but Saregamapa really has some good singers.

Shreya Ghoshal is from that programme and she has won Filmfare awards. So I guess once established awards are very much possible
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 14:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Even Sunidhi Chauhan came to light by winning a TV singing competition, I am sure many of you remember that 12 year old about a decade back.

I had followed Kelly Clarkson's rise in the first American Idols contest keenly, I think I even voted for her. Man, she has really put on weight after that.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th February 2006 at 15:01.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 16:34   #6
BHPian

i thnk indian idol is utter rubbish until they concentrate on good singers then concentrate on performers. a good trained lot do not get voted and the bad ones but with lot of charm get more votes and they get selected. the first indian idol contest, i had followed keenly and even agreed when abhijeet sawant was selected but then when he cut his album it was not upto the mark. i think he could be much better.

all this hype with fame gurukul also dint help, wherein they had said that they wanted good trained singers but a moron like ( no offence to anybody) QAZI ended up being a singer. now so u really think he deserved it? secondly now he ends up saying that he always wanted to become an actor, (he is absolutely good at his acting i must say) then why the h*** did he participate in fame gurukul, he could have attended any nice workshop for acting and could have become an actor. he really hampered the chances of good singers in fame gurukul too.

Saregamapa was the best talent hunt for singers for more than a decade but with this " Challenge 2005" it has also ended up being a contest to rake a moolah for the channel and producers.

as far as this thread goes, none of the singers who are choosen from this contest are capable of represnting internationally they have to have variety and should be able to give world class music which should be heard worldover and not only in India.

i think all so called reality shows rite from making of Viva, Aasma, indian Idol, super singer, saregamapa, is just money building exercise.

shubbhi

P.s abhijeet sawant cant speak good english too.
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 16:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Even Sunidhi Chauhan came to light by winning a TV singing competition, I am sure many of you remember that 12 year old about a decade back.
I remember her performing on DD in "Meri Awaaz Suno" in front of Lata, Yash and other film personalities. The song which she sang in final was ..
" aaa.... jaane ja...."
cheers
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 18:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

I don't follow any music talent hunt programs on TV. Nor do I understand music much. I have only one question

If 95% of this countries people don't understand a thing about music (proven by sales of crappy remix) why do channels ask for votes by people & decide talented peoples future over it ?

ps: manaa45 take it easy lady.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 19:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

These idol shows are a waste of time. The singers last a short time on the back of the television show.

Looking at some recent winners of these singing shows in India like Viva I would not listen to their £rap if someone paid me. Not only do the girls in Viva look as if they have fallen and hit every branch on the ugly tree but their music and vocals suck as well.

bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 20:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

I lost faith in voting when I watched the 1st American Idol where good looking people were selected over better singers. For example, Justin Guarini (curly hair guy) over Tamyra Gray which was ridiculous. At least the winner Kelly Clarkson was very good, in fact won the grammy yesterday. In the 2nd American Idol, the final winner (Ruben Studdard) kept singing the same way (no variation)
throughout the competition, I still can't understand how he got into top ten, black vote I suppose.

Some history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
If 95% of this countries people don't understand a thing about music (proven by sales of crappy remix) why do channels ask for votes by people & decide talented peoples future over it ?
The initial singing competitions were good (like Meri Awaz Suno) since the judges were experts and didn't get swayed by charm. But once the people got the voting power, it just went down the toilet.
Old 10th February 2006, 13:33   #11
BHPian

Guys u cant say man!! May be some day one of the idols might make it to FILMFARE awards....quite possible. But the ultimate winner is the program producer or whom so ever ..who ends up gettin all the moolah!!
marinegopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 17:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
All the Music & TV Channels in India just follow the Jerry M motto " Show me the money "

There is a very interesting article in rediff by Alex Kuruvilla ( Head MTV INDIA, erstwhile i think )

Quoting from that article on the MTV India Strategy

"In the case of MTV, too, we initially followed the content and template that was used all over the world. We realised that it did not work and came back to reinvent and get a local product. I would put that down as the biggest learning.

You cannot base the channel's content or channel strategy on the chat you had with a guy in the bar last night. The approach is to normally extrapolate that and assume that the country is full of people who are westernised, speak English, listen to rock bands and have travelled the world.

When this happens you have completely misread the market. MTV did precisely that and relied on the "headbangers" fad that was quite hot at that time.

In MTV's case, when we flicked the switch from 100 per cent international to almost entirely local content, we crafted a product totally based on consumer research and insights.

That's critical. You do not get consumer insights by asking a bunch of kids from Malabar Hill in South Mumbai to decide what the rest of the country wants to watch.

You first decide who it is that you want to serve. If that happens to be kids sitting in Gorakhpur and Chennai or other small towns in the country, then you need to talk to that audience and find out what makes it tick.

So, research was the key determinant to the change of strategy. If MTV is as mainstream and mass as you get it in the US, why should I shove it down the throat of an Indian audience because the cocktail circuit likes it? "

here's the entire article http://ia.rediff.com/money/2005/may/17spec.htm
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 11:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this thread.
No not for Indian Idol, but for Saregamapa Lil' Champs.
Anyone else following it? My favourite is Vasundhara. She has got a beautiful voice. Even though she is blind, her enthusiasm and talent is commendable.

Check this out:

Last edited by DCEite : 26th January 2008 at 12:11.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 12:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

Actually there is this Kannada singing competition that airs every Sunday 9PM (I think), hosted by S.P Balasubramanyam (greatest film singer ever of the south, remember Main Ne Pyar Kiya). The quality of singing in that program is just mind-boggling. Most of them are kids.
Old 26th January 2008, 13:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

A filmfare is very much possible. But they'd have a better chance as a playback singer i guess.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote