Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th July 2011, 08:50   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle

Its nice to see your initiative. The most effective solution would be as everyone said, to remove the stone.
If it is not possible, here is a suggestion - The height of the stone is not that much. If possible, it could be covered with soil and a nice sloping speedbreaker could be formed over the stone itself with tight soil.

cheers
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for doing this. You apparently have moral problems removing the stone, and you are right about it.

Even if you do not have moral issues, there would be physical fiscal and logistical issues when you physically remove the stone.

Flags, plants, etc, are only temporary solutions.

A better option, imho:-

1. Put some sand / gravel (red stone power) around the stone, so as to create a gradually rising pyramid around it. Would require about 10 bucketfuls of sand.

2. But, a more rational and practical solution would be put up some bricks or concrete blocks, on top of the stone, raising its height, to 2/3 feet above the current level at the road center and painting the bricks yellow, after plastering them.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think you should work with the authorities and install a bigger sign that is vertically higher. If only people can stick to their lanes during turns, grief can be avoided.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 11:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
Flags, plants, etc, are only temporary solutions.
This line of yours gave me another idea, which might take time, but would not only avert this problem, but also give other benefits.

It is common to see badam-trees in our part of Kerala along the roadside providing shade. What if I plant a badam-sapling behind the stone ? This will provide better visibility - maybe I could add a red-cloth on the sapling till it grows up. No one would miss a tree, be it day or night, and thus move away from the stone. Also, it would provide shade, shelter for birds and also good for the environment.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 13:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This line of yours gave me another idea, which might take time, but would not only avert this problem, but also give other benefits.

It is common to see badam-trees in our part of Kerala along the roadside providing shade. What if I plant a badam-sapling behind the stone ? This will provide better visibility - maybe I could add a red-cloth on the sapling till it grows up. No one would miss a tree, be it day or night, and thus move away from the stone. Also, it would provide shade, shelter for birds and also good for the environment.
Good idea supremeBaleno! Might even work in Kerala.

If it were Maharashtra, and the stone not quickly removed, could easily find itself ensconced inside a concrete structure with a saffron flag adorning it. And some smart aleck - the variety that adorn saffron - collecting chanda for the next Ganesh festival in name of the milestone-mandal .

Get rid of the stone, is what I'd say.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 13:45   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with Sushil, why not remove the stone? And if that need to be an official affair, maybe keep a flagpost there with a danger or watchout sign. Won't that work?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 13:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

I suggest every member to come up with more such issues since everyone can spot similar issues near their home too instead of giving too many ideas to supremebaleno. What he did is right thing and planting a badam tre is not good idea.

I can see so many issues and mistakes in roads everyday I travel. We should try to fix and find solution overselves instead of waiting for accident to happen like media people show similar so many issues but they never try to solve the same and instead they point the issue on government and next day officer takes action they highlight to get more publicity.

So I request everyone to come up with such issues around your home and fix the problem based on what you can. Not every issue we can fix i do agree but we should fix what we can.

Example: I usually make my worker clean the road and empty site once in 2 months 100feet both the side of my home although neighbours stair at me (few thought empty sites belong to me but truth house I am staying itself does not belong to me :-) ) as if I should not get this done in fron of their house too. I spend INR 200/- for doing this work and I believe it is opportunity for poor guy to earn some money. This in turn give me and my daughter best opportunity play around and keep nice environment.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 10th July 2011 at 13:59.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 09:42   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
We should try to fix and find solution overselves instead of waiting for accident to happen. So I request everyone to come up with such issues around your home and fix the problem based on what you can. Not every issue we can fix i do agree but we should fix what we can.
I believe most of us want to address the issues we see, but end up not doing it due to varied reasons - not wanting a run-in with the authorities (eg. in removing the milestone), hoping others would do it, laziness, not wanting to be noticed by everyone etc etc.

To give another example, I drive 20kms one-way from home to work. To avoid traffic & to have a fun drive, I leave home as early as possible - target to leave between 7:30 - 8AM. Somedays I have noticed that I would cover the first 18kms of the drive through the city on max 2-lane roads very quickly and reach the Jain college signal on OMR, from where it is just 2kms to office. I would be thinking, "Wow, just 2 more kms and that too on the 3-laned (each-side) IT corridor - should be a piece of cake".

But this joy would on most days would be short-lived as I would find the road clogged with traffic which is not even moving. Now, what would be holding up all these vehicles on such a wide toll-road so early in the morning ? After creeping slowly for ages, you would see that it is the barricade put by the cops previous night and which has not been properly moved to the side (is at an angle to the road). All it takes to avoid this logjam is for someone to stop his car/bike and move the damn thing to the side. But we all move on, cursing it under our breath, as if the curse will move it.

Last week, I stopped the car after putting hazard lights on and moved it to the side. A Figo stopped in front of me and the driver was getting out (also to move it), when he sees me and thanks and moves on. All it took was less than a minute to remove that bottleneck. But the legal bottleneck still bothers me. Though these are intended to slow traffic at night, is it OK to move these out of the way ?

P.S.: BTW, what is the whole point in making a 6-lane toll-road to aid smooth flow of traffic and then put barricades all over the place to make vehicles crawl ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
I usually make my worker clean the road and empty site once in 2 months 100feet both the side of my home although neighbours stair at me - opportunity for poor guy to earn some money. This in turn give me and my daughter best opportunity play around and keep nice environment
Indeed a good thing to do - cleanliness never hurt anyone.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th July 2011 at 10:00. Reason: extra smiley
Old 11th July 2011, 11:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After creeping slowly for ages, you would see that it is the barricade put by the cops previous night and which has not been properly moved to the side (is at an angle to the road).
@supremeBaleno: a quick question for you here.
Are these barricades visible from a distance? Do they have any reflector material so that speeding vehicles can spot them even in poor visibility/ rains? I have had a couple of occasions where the legal barricades have been placed in a way that reeks of danger.

For the OP, I would suggest contacting the nearest RTA if it is not too much trouble. Till then I guess a scarecrow wearing some reflective material should be adequate as a workaround?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 12:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
Are these barricades visible from a distance? Do they have any reflector material so that speeding vehicles can spot them even in poor visibility/ rains? I have had a couple of occasions where the legal barricades have been placed in a way that reeks of danger.
AFAIK they dont have reflectors on them - can be tough spotting them in low-visibility conditions at high speeds. Infact there have been deaths in the past due to bikes hitting these barricades.

On the IT-corridor, they are used during the day also, to make motorists slow down at main junctions so that pedestrians can cross the road. It is another matter that there exist foot-overbridges for pedestrians, which no one uses.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:25   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Reached Kerala today morning and one of the 1st things I did was to check on the flag. Not only has it been uprooted, but it is nowhere to be found in the vicinity. Obviously that solution is not going to work. Need to talk with the councillor during the weekend and if nothing comes out of it, painting the stone yellow is the only solution I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
I would suggest contacting the nearest RTA if it is not too much trouble.
Ideally they should be acting on this, but knowing them, they would not be bothered about anything that does not have money in it for them. They made my Dad run around for a year just to get our GJ-regd car transferred to KL, inspite of us having all the required docs. He should have heeded my advice to run it on GJ plates in Kerala, where cops don't bother out-of-state vehicles. Instead, he lost the life-tax paid in Gujarat, had to make umpteen visits to the RTA here for a year.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th July 2011 at 12:29.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Road surface maintenance is PWD;s job. Traffic regulation is police's job. Hazards are PWD's job. Police decides what signs are required. PWD puts them up.

waitaminit.

A sign put up by PWD. It is no longer a sign. Turns into a hazard. Now, is it the PWDs or police's job?

RTA issues permits and registers vehicles and of course, collects taxes. They will neither put up safety signs, nor remove hazards.

Heck. We, the people are bosses of both. Let us do it.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 12:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately nothing much changed in the last 4 years, other than occasionally clearing shrubs around the milestone (to make the hazard visible). Being a very deep-rooted & big/hard stone, folks I asked said that it would need a JCB (local lingo for an earth-mover) to dislodge it.

Anyway, last Monday morning, while giving way for a speeding tipper truck, an Alto hit the stone hard and the tyre blew - the driver did not notice the milestone. In the ensuing lack of control, the Alto went and hit the concrete post(cable TV) breaking the post. He missed hitting our compound wall or running into the adjacent temple by a whisker.

A long shot view - the post can be seen if one zooms in.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20150407_142516.jpg

The temple, our boundary wall and the post that the Alto ram into. If you zoom in, you can see the broken pieces of the old post lying there.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20150407_142553.jpg

The passenger (a lady) was not wearing seat-belts and hit her face on the dashboard or something and was bleeding - my BIL took them to the nearest hospital - not serious.

The Alto guy wanted to file a complaint against the tipper, but could not take the truck's regn#. While the tippers in this part of the country speed like there is no tomorrow, doubt he can be held liable.
Old 13th April 2015, 15:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately nothing much changed in the last 4 years, other than occasionally clearing shrubs around the milestone (to make the hazard visible). Being a very deep-rooted & big/hard stone, folks I asked said that it would need a JCB (local lingo for an earth-mover) to dislodge it.

Anyway, last Monday morning, while giving way for a speeding tipper truck, an Alto hit the stone hard and the tyre blew - the driver did not notice the milestone. In the ensuing lack of control, the Alto went and hit the concrete post(cable TV) breaking the post. He missed hitting our compound wall or running into the adjacent temple by a whisker.

A long shot view - the post can be seen if one zooms in.

Sad to see nothing much has changed since your last post. Probably it now needs a paint of yellow with Red reflective stickers. I still doubt if it would help, since its low on the ground, and we dont expect it to be a hazard until we hit it. Cant it be broken/ cut or leveled with the surrounding given that none of the authorities are helping?

Since it was an Alto, I think your wall was spared. If it was one of the heavier vehicles, then the wall and the pole might have been hit!!
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 17:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Painting the milestone in yellow was suggested earlier in this thread. I think you should do it without worrying about how the authorities would view it - if the authorities have not done anything about this in 4 years, then I think it is safe to assume that they don't intend to. On a lighter note, make a flag pole out of a bamboo stick, and put it front of the milestone. Be sure to fly the flag of some political party on it or put up a flex board of your local leader to ensure that it won't be uprooted
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote