Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th April 2015, 17:47   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle

Yes, I think the easy solution seems to be to paint it yellow - making it more visible.
In the recent months, have not been getting much time at home - hopefully that will change and I will get around to doing this.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 17:35   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Filled out the "Contact us" page on the local municipality's website, giving details of the hazard and requesting action. Let's see how this works out.
Old 14th April 2015, 18:35   #33
Team-BHP Support

Great job! Most often we don't even move small rocks that lay as hazards and you cleaned up a mile marker!

Now why can't it be just dug out and placed on the side of the wall
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 10:42   #34
Team-BHP Support

Its amazing how something which we had identified as a potential hazard many years earlier, continues to be one even today. This despite the fact that there have been incidents in the past owing to this same hazard, as well as efforts to make the hazard more visible. Painting the stone is the only easy way out. Maybe make it an inconspicuous process so the blame doesnt directly come to haunt you.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 16:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have done this for a dead end barrier on a road near my house in Chandigarh.

1) Got an old metal drum (208 litres). I was given one by PWD guys who were carpeting the road and had many in spare.
2) They also helped me in cutting the openings on both ends.
3) We dug about a foot deep around the bollard & placed drum over the broken bollard and filled it with loose stones, dirt and whatever we could find nearby.
4) Few days later we painted the drum with crude yellow paint and also poured concrete mix on top opening. The concrete base made for nice sitting place. Few months later, our senior citizens brought more drums and covered all the remaining bollards in similar manner. Now it is their evening meeting place, where they sit around and chat.

Hope my crude sketch helps you get the idea.
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  24.2 KB

If it cannot be removed then better idea is to make it more visible.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 15th April 2015 at 16:17.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 14:33   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally got some time at home this week and decided to not put this for later, since two more cars (a Skoda & a Swift) hit it couple days ago. Funny thing is every time a car hits it or a biker falls on hitting it, people blame it on the diety (Bheema of Mahabharat fame) whose temple is nearby.

As it looked before the paint job - can you even see the milestone ? Aided by the occasional rains, the weeds had grown tall/thick enough to fully hide the milestone.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20150502_083358.jpg

After clearing the shrubs - still won't be visible, until dangerously close.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20150502_113032.jpg

After a coat of yellow paint.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20150502_114934.jpg

Need to apply another coat of paint tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Now why can't it be just dug out and placed on the side of the wall
It can be, just that it would need earth-moving equipment. Because, while only less than a feet of it is seen above ground, a significant part of it is deeply entrenched in the ground.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd May 2015 at 14:37.
Old 7th October 2015, 00:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

3-Oct-2015 : Around 11PM was reading something, when I hear a big bang / crash. Could not make out the sound (felt like crackers first), but since it seemed to come from the road, we all rushed out. In small towns of Kerala, everyone gets indoors by 9 or 10max and 11PM is like graveyard hour. But still some folks from nearby homes had come out hearing the noise. What we see is this sight.

Inspite of the yellow paint, an AshokLeyland Dost hit the milestone at speed, lost control, hit the wall of our compound and knocked down one of the concrete pillars.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20151004_113513.jpg

His wheel axle is broken and there is a dent/break on the top of the windshield which I guess is from the driver hitting it (no seat belt worn).
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20151004_113533.jpg

Part of the wall is also broken and one half of the grill gate has been thrown away.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20151004_113527.jpg

He says he tried to avoid a stray dog & lost control after that. Since there are many strays around (like in other parts of Kerala), he could be right. But I think he took the curve too fast and did not see the stone. There is no doubting he hit the stone - the part of the stone where the tyre made contact is clean, while the rest is dirty.
Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20151004_113440.jpg

Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20151004_113456.jpg

Anyway, it is too late to do anything. We report the incident to the cops and the driver goes home. We have to now repair the wall and pillar.

The next day folks gather and again the discussion is about how this is the Nth vehicle to crash due to the milestone and how we should break it off. One guy even goes and gets one of those big hammers used to break stones, but others avoid this course of action, given that it belongs to the PWD or whoever. Another plan is to dig around it, uproot it - that way you dont break Govt property. But that means quite some digging. Unless you use an earthmover.

Anyway, on the advice of my uncle, I take a few snaps showing the stone, the crashed vehicle and send to couple folks he knows in 2 Malayalam dailies. And I am told it got printed in the 2nd page of the Malayala Manorama (Alappuzha edition) of 5th October. Though I am not able to see this article online in the epaper, which is strange. Hopefully something will come out of this - else it will be uprooted by the folks soon.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th October 2015 at 00:24.
Old 7th October 2015, 08:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

SB - Why not hire an earth-mover and get it uprooted? Who knows that you called the earth-mover?

I am afraid, it can't be removed manually. Its a mass of solid concrete, so pretty hard to break it as well.

You have done enough Just get it uprooted for the benefit of society. If someone questions [authority/PWD] the residents on your road can take them by horns and they will have to step back.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 09:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
One guy even goes and gets one of those big hammers used to break stones, but others avoid this course of action, given that it belongs to the PWD or whoever.
If it belongs to the PWD, check if you can use this avenue:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...me-you-do.html (Heard of pgportal.gov.in? About time you do)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 15:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

It should have at least broken off with so many hits. Surprising it is still standing .

Knowing how drivers in Kerala do high speed off roading on curves to overtake and what not, and over the years the stone has become closer to the edge of the road .

Another option is to build a tall cylindrical mesh cage and plant a sapling in it, right in front of the stone and make sure it is covered generously with reflective tape.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 15:40   #41
Team-BHP Support

Can't this milestone be broken down with some sort of equipment? A heavy sledgehammer or something?

It isn't as if its a helpful one; if anything, this one has only caused you and the unwary travelers trouble.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 20:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
I am afraid, it can't be removed manually. Its a mass of solid concrete, so pretty hard to break it as well. Why not hire an earth-mover and get it uprooted? Who knows that you called the earth-mover?
Yes, removing manually is tough. Could get an earthmover topple it in a few minutes, but concern is about legality - its a small place, everyone knows everyone else. BTW, it is not concrete, but stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian
It should have at least broken off with so many hits. Surprising it is still standing.
I guess it is the tyres that hit it mostly, which combined with its strength means, it has not even chipped a bit after all these hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian
Another option is to build a tall cylindrical mesh cage and plant a sapling in it, right in front of the stone and make sure it is covered generously with reflective tape.
Nice idea to try out, if uprooting it does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1
Can't this milestone be broken down with some sort of equipment? A heavy sledgehammer or something?
Yes. But this is India where even doing what is the state's responsibility can land you in trouble. I remember reading about a case being filed against actor Jayasurya for tarring a road which was in a very bad state causing accidents, but which the Govt was not fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1
It isn't as if its a helpful one; if anything, this one has only caused you and the unwary travelers trouble.
My trouble (fixing the wall) pales into insignificance when compared to what unwary travellers face on hitting it - broken axles, punctured tyres, bent / broken rims etc. And for bikers who hit it, there is bodily damage too.
Old 7th October 2015, 20:38   #43
BHPian

Reading this thread with amazement. You're right, no hope the government will ever do anything. The stone looks like basalt, and probably at least two feet under the surface. I would cover it with a old oil drum, buried at least a foot in, and paint bright yellow
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 20:48   #44
BHPian

Let me play the devil's advocate here -

This thread was started on 8th July 2011 and we are here more than 4 years later. Apart from the yellow paint, which is faded due to mud, nothing has been done. While I do appreciate your concern, I cannot help but notice these things -
  • Had you planted that badam sapling, that would have grown into a medium sized tree by now
  • You could have taken the risk and got it uprooted and put aside. You are not really stealing it.
  • You could have put a wire mesh cylinder/empty barrel as someone suggested
  • You could have dug it up and put it back in the same place, with more height showing like any normal milestone. You could have even painted it green & white

Any of the above actions would have prevented the hordes of accidents that this stone has caused so far. It would have even prevented damage to your compound wall and gate. You could have even put up your own milestone just ahead of it, with brick and cement when you got your compound fixed.

No disrespect meant, but action matters a lot more than intentions.
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 20:49   #45
BHPian

Probably the stone can be cut flush with the ground by a power saw or angle grinder sort of thing- the ones used for cutting granite, marbles and the like.
Just my two cents.
100kmph is offline   Reply With Quote