Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th October 2015, 01:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
This thread was started on 8th July 2011 and we are here more than 4 years later. Apart from the yellow paint, which is faded due to mud, nothing has been done. No disrespect meant, but action matters a lot more than intentions.
In a place like Kerala where it rains almost round the year, all it takes for weeds to cover the stone is a month or two. So, if it has remained visible all these 4 years, it is only because every couple months I de-weed the area around it. Not a big deal I agree, but yes it takes some time/effort and is actually action taken (not mere intentions, as you surmised). More so, when I am only a once-every-two-weeks visitor to the place, spending barely a day there.

I do agree and also know that the surest way of dealing with this is to either break off the part above the ground or uproot it and put it by the side of the road. Apart from the legality part, it is not an easy task that I can do without help from someone else. And all the folks I asked for help have been worried about getting on the wrong side of the law.

Anyway, next on the agenda is the uprooting plan, when I get there next. Though I doubt it would be an easy task given that a metre or more of it is buried in the earth. Not to mention the risk of working there given the narrow pavement-less road and the crazy speeds at which cars come after taking the curve.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 06:31   #47
BHPian

SB
Why not cover it with mud with a nice slope on both sides? That should be easy than digging it out. No legal issues since its there anyways.

It would still be smaller than bangalore speed breakers. Vehicles might go over it fast but alteast wouldn't get damaged or crash onto other property or oncoming vehicles
m8002? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 11:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Since the thread is still relevant, I would say that the telephone poles on the (side) road might be equally dangerous at night as this hidden milestone!
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 16:23   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph
Probably the stone can be cut flush with the ground by a power saw or angle grinder sort of thing- the ones used for cutting granite, marbles and the like.
Yes, this will solve the issue, but local folks are hesitant about any solution that involves breaking the stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002?
Why not cover it with mud with a nice slope on both sides? Vehicles might go over it fast but alteast wouldn't get damaged or crash onto other property or oncoming vehicles
Mud won't last - will wash off after few showers. Cement / concrete is needed to do what you suggested and while it is not a big deal to create a slope, I think it will create more issues - the car would still go out of control after getting on the slope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1
Since the thread is still relevant, I would say that the telephone poles on the (side) road might be equally dangerous at night as this hidden milestone!
Did you mean the pole on the right side of the road ? If so, that is the street-light, which incidentally was not working when the Dost accident happened, making the area dark. People won't miss a tall pole IMO.
Old 12th October 2015, 13:03   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

So after the accident last week, the local folks got together & debated the next course of action. The idea they had was to plant a banana sapling behind it to increase visibility - this is used widely in KL to highlight dangerously deep potholes on the road. While some young guys volunteered labour, my Dad offered a sapling from his farm.

However, even after a week nothing had changed when I got there last weekend - people got busy with their lives, only to surface again when the next accident happens. Decided to get down and try this too - took me 30 mins to dig a (2x2x2)feet pit and plant a sapling. The digging was not easy as it was mostly gravel + blue-metal stones (not soil). Also cleaned out the approach area to make the stone visible. Hopefully this will help avoid hits.

Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20151011_153726.jpg

Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle-20151011_155638.jpg

BTW, learnt from my parents that some 40+ years ago, the road was not a high as it is today. It is due to the road being raised considerably that we have the issue of the milestone getting buried for most of it's height. And due to being low-lying, when the nearby river flooded, this path became a waterway with boats ferrying people to & fro. Funny to think of a road as a waterway.
Old 12th October 2015, 14:49   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And due to being low-lying, when the nearby river flooded, this path became a waterway with boats ferrying people to & fro. Funny to think of a road as a waterway.
About 60-70 years ago, waterways were the primary transport hub of Kerala. As the government prepared to build the road network in Kerala, people were amused and said who would really use roads.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 11:51   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
About 60-70 years ago, waterways were the primary transport hub of Kerala.
Indeed. And I understand the Govt plans to work on renewing the waterways too. Actually remember my boss telling me how the waterways in Chennai were a major lifeline when he was growing up, with most stuff (groceries, firewood etc) being transported via boats on the Cooum. Also read recently about MSIL planning to ship cars via waterways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
As the government prepared to build the road network in Kerala, people were amused and said who would really use roads.
If the current state of the roads in KL are any indication, I guess they are still in preparatory mode.
Old 13th October 2015, 13:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Actually remember my boss telling me how the waterways in Chennai were a major lifeline when he was growing up, with most stuff (groceries, firewood etc) being transported via boats on the Cooum.
For the new residents of Chennai , they would be surprised if we call it a river!! But during my school days 3 decades back, at least it had water (stinking a mile away). But Im now told that it has 0% oxygen and cannot sustain life in it.

But during "its heydays", there used to be boats, and the boat sheds were there at chetpet. One just after the bridge towards egmore, and another opposite to the TB hospital (near the Grand sweet restaurant). There is also a specimen of the Cooum crocodile in the Egmore govt museum. Really hope they bring all the waterways / water bodies to its former glory
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 10:53   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The milestone and the banana sapling I planted, in yesterday's Malayala Manorama newspaper. The report basically mentions the danger posed by the milestone and the inaction by the authorities in having it repositioned according to the new height of the road. Also refers the recent accident due it.

Name:  MilestoneManorama19Oct2015.JPG
Views: 576
Size:  104.8 KB
Old 20th October 2015, 14:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Is it not possible to remove the stone without damaging and re-fixing it in a location which is more safer ? That way no harm comes to the stone & since it’s not damaged but just re-located no one from the authorities will have a objection.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 20th October 2015 at 14:26.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 09:31   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
Is it not possible to remove the stone without damaging and re-fixing it in a location which is more safer ? That way no harm comes to the stone & since itís not damaged but just re-located no one from the authorities will have a objection.
Yes, this is the best solution - will not only make the road safer without any damage to Govt. property, but also, the milestone will serve its purpose of indicating the distance to the next junction.

BTW, the reporter who helped put this news in the newspaper mentioned that if we give a written request to the local PWD office to have this stone relocated, they will do the needful. Dad would be doing this in the coming days. Wifey's uncle knows some folks here and maybe we will have him put in a word too. Let's see where this goes.

Meanwhile the sapling was still there when I was at home for the long Puja holidays weekend. No one had knocked it down yet.
Old 17th October 2016, 14:42   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

An update after a long time - because for the last year, things were good with no accidents because :
1) While someone uprooted the banana sapling we kept as warning, we put reflective stickers on the stone, which helped folks see it at night & steer clear.
2) As an additional precaution, I got 3 empty tar drums and lined them behind the stone, such that the drum-wall could be seen from far.

And then a couple weeks ago, the road-laying company took away their drums. The yellow paint + reflective sticker + my regularly keeping the area clear of grass meant that motorists could still see it & stay away.

But then last week around 5PM I hear a sound that's like a tipper-truck unloading blue-metal. When we all rush to the spot, we see this Figo with both left-side rims bent and tryes deflated. He says he got blinded by the lights of a truck coming from the opposite side, but it was not dark enough to put lights on (as you can see from the snaps too, taken just moments after the accident). Guessing he was either speeding or missed seeing the stone.

Name:  IMG_1117.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1118.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1119.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  31.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002?
SB, Why not cover it with mud with a nice slope on both sides? That should be easy than digging it out. No legal issues since its there anyways. It would still be smaller than bangalore speed breakers. Vehicles might go over it fast but alteast wouldn't get damaged or crash onto other property or oncoming vehicles
My Dad has been asking me for a long time to do as m8002? suggests. But I am not sure whether it will create more problems than it will solve. What will be the trajectory of a speeding car that goes off this slope ? Any opinions ?

Uprooting & planting it at the side is a good solution, but needs an excavator - too deep in the hard ground for a man to dig it out. If I am able to get one, I will do it.

NOTE : As mentioned earlier, due to legal issues, breaking the stone is not a solution. I know folks here who have been dragged for years in court by the KSEB for having taken a rotten piece of the old wooden lamp-post (which was replaced with a concrete post). I don't have the time/inclination to spend time in courts. So please don't suggest this option.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th October 2016 at 14:43.
Old 17th October 2016, 15:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have the time/inclination to spend time in courts. So please don't suggest this option.
You can tweet the kerala CM and see if he obliges. He seems to be active on twitter.

The ex CM oomen chandy was very active as well as responsive if what I hear is correct .. not sure about Pinarayi Vijayan.

Or see if your district commissioner / commissioner of police etc are active on twitter and start with them.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:56   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple days ago, they had solid white line painted on this road, since it is a curve. Though folks drive as earlier, ignoring the line marking. So doubt this would help avoid accidents due to the milestone.

Name:  Pic.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  34.2 KB

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2016 at 15:40. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:04   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Need tips on averting more disasters due to an invisible obstacle

One suggestion early on in this thread was to have a tree planted alongside. A badaam tree would have been good, but it spreads out fast which could hinder traffic on the already narrow road. So I planted an Areca-nut sapling alongside the milestone few weeks ago. Initially it looked like it would wither away (yellowing leaves), but over the weeks it has been recovering. Along with the reflective sticker on the milestone, this should help avoid accidents.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1479900565.403779.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  133.2 KB