Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th December 2016, 14:12   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Along with the reflective sticker on the milestone, this should help avoid accidents.
Unfortunately no amount of warnings can help save the rash driver. Last Monday evening my friend calls to tell me that an SX4 hit the milestone & resulting in both left tyres bursting & alloys cracking. The car went ahead another 50ms, but thankfully did not cause any human or material damage.

By the driver's own admission he was doing some great speed. This at a sweeping curve. And misses seeing the stone in daylight. Even at night, the stone is clearly visible due to its yellow paint / reflector tape & because the shrubs in front of it have been cleared.

Given the kind of speeds motorists do at this curve, I no longer have any sympathy for the ones damaging their tyres & suspension. I just hope they don't go ahead & hit an innocent pedestrian, cyclist or motorist.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 20:25   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Closure. Finally !!!

Finally closure for this issue. Last week a person from the locality (who doesn't want to be named) hailed a JCB excavator passing by & requested the driver to help remove the milestone that was causing accidents. The driver was hesitant initially (due to the potential problems involved), but finally agreed after knowing about the incidents involving the milestone. He did not even take the money offered, saying he was doing it for everyone's sake.

It took around 10 minutes of effort by the excavator before it could be uprooted. This when it was only planted in the soil, not set in concrete. After uprooting the stone, he laid it flat in the hole itself.

The road as it looks now, sans the milestone.
Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  29.5 KB.

The uprooted milestone. It is about 3 feet long, 1 feet wide and about 6 inches thick. Note that only 1/5th of the stone (the painted part) was outside the earth, which explains its solidity inspite of countless vehicle hits.
Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  51.7 KB

In the week since this happened, I have seen tyre tread marks atleast 1 feet or more after where the milestone used to stand. Not sure if the driver drove so much off the road, being aware that the stone is no longer there or it was just sheer luck that the stone was not there anymore.

It would be desirable to have the stone planted adjacent to the boundary wall away from the tarmac so that it serves its purpose. However given the way folks drive & the curve of the road, not sure it would be safe to have it even there.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th May 2017 at 20:38. Reason: On request
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote