Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th July 2011, 12:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Getting Married!! Need lots of Help

!!!!!..Yippee..!!!!!

We are getting married....!!!!

We are getting married on the 4th of Dec, 2011...!!!

Ok, that was the exciting part. Now the challenges.

A short prelude before that wouldn't be inappropriate here.

Priti is a native of HP(near Palampur) born, brought up and working in Delhi who stays with her parents and an elder brother.

I m a native of Bangalore and have spent most of my life at various places now working at Bangalore.

We met 6 years ago and it took 3 years for her dad to agree to our relationship.

***End of Prelude***
Now a few statistics:
1. My relatives would be no more than 15 people and most of them, senior citizens.
2. My other guests who include friends, cousins and colleagues whose strength would, at most be 20 in all.
3. I will fly my folks down from Bangalore and M.P. to Delhi and then drive them to the venue.
4. Priti's guests in all would not exceed 50 people, and half of them are at Delhi/NCR.

Last but not the least: We DO NOT want to get married at another typical marriage hall/baraat ghar/banquet hall etc.

We had initially planned to get married at a quaint HPTDC hotel at Palampur but the place is booked. Apart from that, the weather during December at HP might have been colder than what my folks are used to since they are from Bangalore/South India.

Which is why we are looking for venues to get married which are, say, at a 2 hour distance from Delhi, picturesque and most of all, NOT in any city/NCR. Since the total number of guests will not exceed 120 people, I feel the wedding can be conducted at a "different" place pretty easily and without ballooning the cost as well. I spoke to Neemrana Hotels but their costs were prohibitive (around INR 15 lacs) since it was a mandate to book all their rooms for the wedding.

Can TBHPians please suggest places/hotels/forts/havelis where we can tie the knot and step forward to our new lives, together.

Thank you for reading this.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 12:33   #2
BHPian

Default re: Getting Married!! Need lots of Help

I'm sorry the first reply you are receiving isnt of much help, but Congratulations!

I remember seeing Dharamshala (during the IPL games) and it seemed like a beautiful place.

Last edited by Recompose : 9th July 2011 at 12:35.
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 12:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
I'm sorry the first reply you are receiving isnt of much help, but Congratulations!

I remember seeing Dharamshala (during the IPL games) and it seemed like a beautiful place.
Thank you for your wishes. We had chosen Dharmashala too but the weather is what put us off, especially with guests who have not seen such temperatures.
Old 9th July 2011, 12:48   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Thank you for your wishes. We had chosen Dharmashala too but the weather is what put us off, especially with guests who have not seen such temperatures.
Dharmsala offers fantastic weather.. Dont worry too much.

And HPTDC has 2 hotels, which i feel will easily offer you halls.

The Dauladhar is located at a very scenic place and a little too near to McleodGunj, so the Guests can have great experience altogether.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Devdath, Heartiest Congratulations & wishing you both a long & happy married life (with each other, of course )!

There is a place called Behror in Rajasthan, I know RTDC has some accommodation there - that could be an option. Or, maybe Jaipur - though it would be further out but is easily accessible by train. Nothing like getting married in the "Pink City"!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Dharmsala offers fantastic weather.. Dont worry too much.

And HPTDC has 2 hotels, which i feel will easily offer you halls.

The Dauladhar is located at a very scenic place and a little too near to McleodGunj, so the Guests can have great experience altogether.
Believe me, this is still on the top of my list, how cold do you think it will be in December?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Devdath, Heartiest Congratulations & wishing you both a long & happy married life (with each other, of course )!

There is a place called Behror in Rajasthan, I know RTDC has some accommodation there - that could be an option. Or, maybe Jaipur - though it would be further out but is easily accessible by train. Nothing like getting married in the "Pink City"!
Thank you Suman

Jaipur will have 2 issues. 1. Priti's guests will have to travel all the way from Delhi, and knowing today's busy schedules, I m wondering how many of them will actually travel that far over the weekend.
2. Logistics will be another challenge since her dad will most likely not know anybody there and I too do not have any contacts.

I checked out RTDC Behror but could see only a motel there. Was that the one you were suggesting?
Old 9th July 2011, 13:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

It is called the Mid-Way at Behror and owned & run by RTDC. They have rooms as well. Mostly people going & coming back from Jaipur stop there for refreshments. Nothing great about it and always teeming with RTDC buses carrying loads of passengers.

BTW, I hope my name is on the invitee's list...

Alternative venues could be the Haryana Tourism's Damdama Lake or the NOIDA Golf club. You could also explore the Executive Club near Chattarpur which has a great ambience and good food. Check the facilities at - http://www.eclub.co.in/index.html
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 13:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked out RTDC Behror but could see only a motel there. Was that the one you were suggesting?
Yup, I just realized that you have over 100 people but you could check with RTDC for any other suggestions they may have.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 14:29   #9
BHPian

Firstly - Congrats!!! Wishing you all the best for a Happy married life.

Now onto the challenge. Thoughts right away:
  • Since Priti is from Palampur, why not the Palampur-Kangra-Dharamsala region? It is quite picturesque. Dharamsala would be cold, but not freezing from what I hear, but you could also plan it for Kangra (I presume it is lower and only about 45 minutes short of Dharamsala).
  • Behror, as suggested earlier, has a tourism hotel, but it is only really a stopping point on the highway on a journey towards Jaipur. Just a highway hotel.
  • Neemrana would have been special, but it is expensive.
  • The same chain which runs Neemrana also runs other hotels around Delhi. You could ask them if they have more wallet-friendly options.
  • If you don't mind about 4 odd hours of driving, there is a place called Nahan close to Delhi towards Himachal. I think one can approach it from NH1 from around Karnal. A google search would be VERY much worthwhile to check facilities and approach. It just may be what you are looking for - peaceful, romantic, away from the beaten track, novelty value even for Delhiites (most don't even know of it) and within driving distance.
  • Other rather boring places (bit more than highway hotels) around Delhi would be -
    • Cheetal Grand (Dehradun/Haridwar route) at Khatauli, near Muzzafarnagar.
    • Karna lake complex (Ambala/Chandigarh route) at Karnal
    • Dabchik, Hodal, Faridabad
  • Surajkund (about 1 hour or so) from Delhi could be an option.
  • Similarly Badkal Lake area may be an option. Not much aware.
Will add to the list, if I think up of anything. But do check on Nahan and surrounding areas. I remember passing it and was very impressed by the feel of the place. It may be your best bet. Only consider that, some parts may be a bit too secluded for some people's liking, given the 'valuables' one has during a wedding ceremony.

All the best mate.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 15:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

@nd: CONGRATULATIONS.
IMHO (as I'm from Chandigarh) Delhi winters are more harsher than Himachal's, so Dharanshala should not be a bad choice.
However getting some decent place with decent catering (North Indians love their food, especially in winters) can be difficult. Check Chetan Bhagat's 'TWO STATES' & youll get the idea.
In fact you are re-writing that novel.

I agree with 'POITIVE' as he actually has mentioned some real good places. Additionally check Kasauli too. Believe me most Delhites love that place. There are many decent resorts with catering backups there.
Check for "Kasauli Resorts" itself.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 00:11   #11
BHPian

Devdath,

First of all, Congratulations on getting married.

Now, as per my opinion, the first choice should be

- Ananda (Near Rishikesh - approachable via Dehradun) - India Spa Resorts | Ananda in the Himalayas | Destination Spa India. As per your requirement, this one fits the best. Weather will not be a problem here in December.

- Second option can be Chail Palace, Chail (H.P.). A palace of Maharaja Patiala, now run by the HPTDC - Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation
Weather can be a problem here in December but still couldn't resist myself from including this one.

- Kasauli Resort, Kasauli (H.P.) -
Kasauli Resort, Good business class and budget Hotels in kasauli, HImachal, 3 star hotel, Luxury Star category SPA and Resorts for Holiday in kasauli. hotels and resorts near chandigarh, panchkula, pinjore, kalka, solan, parwanoo, dakshai, barog, dha

- WildFlower Hall, Simla -
Hotels in Shimla | Luxury Hotel in Shimla, India | Wildflower Hall, Shimla in the Himalayas | Shimla Hotels
Again, weather can be a problem here.

- Amarvilas, Agra -
Hotels in Agra | Luxury Hotel in Agra, India | The Oberoi, Amarvilas | Agra Hotels

A great place to get married i.e. in the city of The Taj. Easily approachbale from Delhi. Weather is not a problem here.

- Rajvilas, Jaipur - Hotels in Jaipur | Luxury Hotel in Jaipur, India | The Oberoi, Rajvilas | Jaipur Hotels

But then you do not want to go to Jaipur.

Anyways, other budget options can be a lot of Bunglows like this one - About Us

All the best for your marriage!

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 02:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

When I saw the title I came in expecting worse....thankfully you have had everything sorted out 3 years back

I suggest letting your guests know in advance that you are taking them to hill station trip and they should pack their warm clothes. May be arrange camp fires etc to entertain them and let them enjoy the weather.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 02:48   #13
BHPian

Given Neemrana was too expensive, Ananda, Wildflower hall, Amarvilas, Rajvilas may be unsuitable too. Great properties in their own right though. Also, since the Devadath finds Jaipur far, am not sure how willing he will be to travel as far. Though I could not understand how he was OK with going all the way to Palampur/Dharamshala and not to Jaipur.

Anyway, coming more to the point. Another place that might suit you a lot. It may not be spectacular but has some novelty value. It is less than an hour from Gurgaon. About 1:45 from Delhi. IIRC about 20-30 mins from NH8. It is Pataudi Palace, Pataudi, Haryana. It is M.A.K. Patudi (or shall we say Sharmila, Saif, etc's) royal palace. Is nothing great. Just convenient and the name of Royalty attached!

If you want a more modern setup, which is closer, you could take up Heritage Resorts, Manesar. It is quite an interesting place, but nothing too special. Half an hour from Gurgaon. Say 1:15 from Delhi. Is just a tiny bit off NH8. People from Delhi will happily drive back even at night (will save you on some rooms ). Is a well known place.

Another place that might suit you a lot - Sariska Palace. About 3 hours from Delhi. Wonderful place in winters. Next to a Tiger resort. Go for mate! You'll have to book outside this hotel as well, and there are limited rooms there, so book early. Or maybe some could stay in Alwar, which isn't too far.

Not sure of room availability and how secure/insecure one might feel in relatively secluded places, from the list my choices would be:
1. Nahan
2. Sariska Palace

PS: IIRC, Palampur/Kangra too is supposed to have some heritage property converted into a hotel, but I could easily be wrong here.

Edit: @Irish - Appreciate the effort you put in, mate Good to see this on this wonderful forum.

Last edited by Poitive : 10th July 2011 at 02:53.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 04:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Jaipur can do but not behror. It is an overglorified truckstop/motel. Noooooooo - not that hotel at all.

Quote:
Believe me, this is still on the top of my list, how cold do you think it will be in December?
Dharamsala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By god - you should just head out. The low in Delhi is almost the same: Delhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - high five to ariesonu on this actually!

No serious. and dharamsala is what I call foothill - its not even got the kinda altitude you may want. Just.go.there.

Anything else will be exhorbitant or not as good/meaningful location!

Infact, try and see if it needs any jugaad - why not get married at Masroor. Its about 1.5 hours from dharamsala - a quaint/nice set of temples dating back a millenia +. Basic ceremony there - party in dharamsala.

Masrur (or Masroor): The major attraction of this place is the fifteen exquisitely carved monolithic rock temples dating back to 8th century. The carvings of these temples are similar to Kailash temple at Ellora. In the sanctum of the main temple, one can find images of Lord Ram, and the Goddesses Sita and Lakshmi. Masrur is located 15 km south of Kangra at @#5#324′22″N 768′13″E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Anyway, coming more to the point. Another place that might suit you a lot. It may not be spectacular but has some novelty value. It is less than an hour from Gurgaon. About 1:45 from Delhi. IIRC about 20-30 mins from NH8. It is Pataudi Palace, Pataudi, Haryana. It is M.A.K. Patudi (or shall we say Sharmila, Saif, etc's) royal palace. Is nothing great. Just convenient and the name of Royalty attached!

If you want a more modern setup, which is closer, you could take up Heritage Resorts, Manesar. It is quite an interesting place, but nothing too special. Half an hour from Gurgaon. Say 1:15 from Delhi. Is just a tiny bit off NH8. People from Delhi will happily drive back even at night (will save you on some rooms ). Is a well known place.

Another place that might suit you a lot - Sariska Palace. About 3 hours from Delhi. Wonderful place in winters. Next to a Tiger resort. Go for mate! You'll have to book outside this hotel as well, and there are limited rooms there, so book early. Or maybe some could stay in Alwar, which isn't too far.

Not sure of room availability and how secure/insecure one might feel in relatively secluded places, from the list my choices would be:
1. Nahan
2. Sariska Palace

PS: IIRC, Palampur/Kangra too is supposed to have some heritage property converted into a hotel, but I could easily be wrong here.

Edit: @Irish - Appreciate the effort you put in, mate Good to see this on this wonderful forum.
Agree with poitive that Irish's advised places are fairly expensive for a gathering of any considerable size
Sort of Nay to Pataudi palace. Its a quaint haveli (we've cycled there!) but nothing grand. Its quite decent/affordable and very close to delhi though. (40km from gurgaon) so u needn't make as extensive travel arrangements.

Sariska palace is anything but inspiring. Pataudi palace is far more nice looking a property. I'm assuming this is the property at the entrance of sariska. Nothing too awesome and the route to that side is painful/last few km are bone jarring. Though who knows you may just get some royal guests to drop by!!

Nahan again has absolutely nothing for anyone to get married at, honestly. The place is okey dokey - its a decent town in the hills but that's about it. Now if you say that get married at Renuka Lake, now that is again an awesome suggestion - because its beautiful & picturesque (but 7-8 hours drive from delhi) and has religious significance with a nice mandir. But otherwise precious little to do.

another "nice & affordable" but not entirely meaningful etc a place may not be the Karna lake complex (check with some of us if its still clean) but the Haveli would sure be a nice/affordable hotel to get married at. Or checking with other neemrana hotels like poitive has said.

otherwise cheetal grand is just a big highway motel - absolute no no, as I'd say to Hodal , surajkund and badkal (pretty much a dried up lake). Mostly dump of a location. Pataudi palace would be nicer me thinks.

So to sum up, what am I advising?
a. Dharamsala
b. Masroor if you want a historical/religious context
c. Renuka Lake if you want a religious context
d. Pataudi palace from a convenience perspective but nothing too grand if thats what u wnat in a location.
e. Haveli, maybe. Their hotel section looks a bit decent

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th July 2011 at 04:20.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 08:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
!!!!!..Yippee..!!!!!

We are getting married....!!!!

We are getting married on the 4th of Dec, 2011...!!!

1. My relatives would be no more than 15 people and most of them, senior citizens.
2. My other guests who include friends, cousins and colleagues whose strength would, at most be 20 in all.
Congrats Devdath.

I am surprised that you have mentioned only 15 relatives. What about the T-BHP family.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote