Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th September 2012, 14:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Could we live without Google?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What I hate about google is that everyone does not get same results!
The search results are personalized!
http://dontbubble.us/
Somebody is trying to sell their search engine (https://duckduckgo.com/)

Regarding personalized searches & ads, I would like that. I am not a python programmer but when I search for python (reptile), all I get is programming links.

The companies talk about big data, targeted ads et al. But in practice and I haven't got anything useful from internet ads. So far its been lousy.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 10:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Somebody is trying to sell their search engine (https://duckduckgo.com/)

Regarding personalized searches & ads, I would like that. I am not a python programmer but when I search for python (reptile), all I get is programming links.

The companies talk about big data, targeted ads et al. But in practice and I haven't got anything useful from internet ads. So far its been lousy.
Of course they are trying to sell theirs.
But the point that they have highlighted is valid and verified by me.
If you have to struggle to reach for the second page to get relevant results (rather than what google thinks is appropriate for you) - then it doesn't matter whether its google or yahoo/bing or clusty etc.

In fact I regularly try to search same things across different search engines - google doesn't do any greater than others.

In that regards I really fail to see the hype surrounding Google.
They are not the first search engine on the web, and they really haven't done anything great. Their claim to fame was, really speaking, gmail which gave GBs of mailbox space for free - compared to others who gave only 10-100 MB and few offered paid mailboxes for not even a GB at that time (circa 1999-2003).

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th September 2012 at 10:29.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 10:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that regards I really fail to see the hype surrounding Google. They are not the first search engine on the web, and they really haven't done anything great.
True, Google is not the first search engine but so far till now, they are still the best. Their claim to fame was their superior algorithm to show the top results, which no other search engine had in 99s & 2000s. After 12 years, others (such as bing) are still trying to catch up. BTW, 98% of Google revenue comes from their search engine, rest just add to their portfolio.

We take good results in search engine for granted today. But when Google came, they did disrupt the existing search engine business.
Old 28th September 2012, 17:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
True, Google is not the first search engine but so far till now, they are still the best. Their claim to fame was their superior algorithm to show the top results, which no other search engine had in 99s & 2000s. After 12 years, others (such as bing) are still trying to catch up. BTW, 98% of Google revenue comes from their search engine, rest just add to their portfolio.

We take good results in search engine for granted today. But when Google came, they did disrupt the existing search engine business.
Well most people google because "everyone" else around them googles.
Tell me one person in your vicinity who uses Yahoo search.

But do you know there are many people who have stuck to Yahoo (Yahoo was one of the first popular search engines in the 90s). It is still no.2

Strange that with No.2 position - you don't find people in India using Yahoo search as much. That's because most net users in India came about when Google was at the pinnacle of hype.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th September 2012 at 17:05.
Old 30th September 2012, 23:00   #65
BHPian

I thought about this some time ago. And as a rule I decided not to use google for a week. And you know what I did that week? I used bing.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 11:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I thought about this some time ago. And as a rule I decided not to use google for a week. And you know what I did that week? I used bing.
So did you feel you missed something in your search?
Old 8th October 2012, 18:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
So did you feel you missed something in your search?
Nothing much. I got what I needed pretty quickly.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 20:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

A classic case of the convenience/technology making the users its slaves. In my profession I find if Google shut down, nearly all our people would become useless. Working in IT, I had the fortune of starting out before Google was born. Today I see the juniors typing away in Google any and everything they want to solve. While it does save your skin when facing tight deadlines and unexpected issues, it also takes away the most important opportunity of learning through trial and error.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 09:40   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In the 6 years since I started this thread, I use a lot more Google Products than just search. Here's a short list

Gmail
Android (Smart Phone)
Play Store (to distribute the Team-BHP App)
Chrome Browser
Google Drive
Google Analytics
Google Ad Manager
Google Adsense
Custom Search Engine (on Team-BHP.com)
Google News & Subscriptions
Google Music (migration in the near future)

A huge fan, nobody does it like Google!

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 09:43.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 11:40   #70
Team-BHP Support

The flipside of Google and FB success....

Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 12:17   #71
BHPian

Thanks Samurai, for this find. Everything available these days has a flip side to it. When the Algorithms controls our search and shows us the relevant information it saves a lot of time. I am sure if we narrow our search to a particular find, we may reach to more intrinsic levels.

Some controls are good, when I see my 10 year old son using google as a tool to do a lot of his assignments. Atleast, he gets a filtered information based on his usage pattern captured by algorithms.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 12:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
And you know what I did that week? I used bing.
There is a reason why Bing or Yahoo hasn't caught up. Try searching for something you know. Google would give better results most of the time. Google overtook Yahoo long back & quite unlikely Yahoo will catch up. Bing is new kid (now an adult) but so far hasn't made any impact.

The problem with Yahoo & Bing is, when I get the results, I am not sure whether those results are the best. So I Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The flipside of Google and FB success....
Google will be in business as along it provides good search results as perceived by the users. Cost of switching search engine is cheap. If google is found wanting, users will change their home page to the new search engine.

There are tools which block Google & other tracking sites from collecting information. One such tool is Disconnect. Hence you get non-customized results.

PS: FB is different beast. Here other users control what I see. So I don't have much option.