Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 21:16   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

I don't see anything specific about laptops in this site in the baggage rules section.
vishnurp99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31st July 2011, 00:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I don't see anything specific about laptops in this site in the baggage rules section.
check the 'travelers information' section

Baggage Rules at a glance - CBEC

The laws are pretty lame, dates and shout out that the rules were made in the license raj era.
Eg: professional equipment includes items used by carpenters, plumbers, welders, masons and not computers. What do software professionals work with - hammer?

Last edited by blackasta : 31st July 2011 at 00:02.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 10:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Customs folks are much cooler these days (in a good way!) Stuff like expensive mobile phones, laptops, personal-use still/video cameras etc. that used to get them in a tizzy a few years ago barely even evince any interest these days. Whie it is still better to have these endorsed in your passport on departure, in case they tell you it's not required, they're probably telling the truth.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 13:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Customs folks are much cooler these days (in a good way!) Stuff like expensive mobile phones, laptops, personal-use still/video cameras etc. that used to get them in a tizzy a few years ago barely even evince any interest these days. Whie it is still better to have these endorsed in your passport on departure, in case they tell you it's not required, they're probably telling the truth.
I would suggest you get it endorsed whenever possible - and ask for the customs desk the moment you enter the airport - in Hyderabad it is before immigrations.

The thieves (also known as customs officers) here would try to dissuade you when you declare and then fleece you with a bribe on return.

I had my 5-yrs old office laptop with me and came back with another one (a friend asked for a 17inch Dell - we don't get those in India) - they wouldn't hear that they were the ones who dissuaded me from declaring in the first place. Also one laptop is allowed, so I told them the new one is allowed, the old one they can value and charge - no sir, they will charge whichever one they please.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 13:50   #20
Team-BHP Support

If its an official laptop, you can ask your company to provide you with its invoice copy.

This would prove that its tax has been paid.
I had this with me. But no one from customs stopped me when I returned to India. I had 2 cabin bags and each had a laptop in it.
bblost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 13:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Some companies, like mine, issue a standard letter addressed to the customs officials, stating that the laptop that the employee is carrying is property of the company and will be brought back with him. People may want their hardware guys to issue such a letter. Not that it is required, atleast in Mumbai.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 14:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Some companies, like mine, issue a standard letter addressed to the customs officials, stating that the laptop that the employee is carrying is property of the company and will be brought back with him. People may want their hardware guys to issue such a letter. Not that it is required, atleast in Mumbai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If its an official laptop, you can ask your company to provide you with its invoice copy.

I had this with me. But no one from customs stopped me when I returned to India. I had 2 cabin bags and each had a laptop in it.

I'm not sure the letter has any legal status. And mine is a small company - so again these guys don't care much. Really expensive equipment imported legally (all duties paid) lies at the customs for months.

It is really easy to get an endorsement that you are taking stuff out of India with intention of bringing it back - no invoices etc. required, only perseverance required to a small extent.

I'm planning to play a joke on these ....... (can't use the words on TBHP) - will bring back one more laptop, proudly declare that I have two of them, negotiate with them - and then pull out the declaration - let's see if I can take a picture of their faces at that time.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 14:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yup. The best way is to declare it in customs. You just declare once and its valid for 3 years I think. Just retain the slip for the next visits too.

if you don't have this, then by law you can be suspected as getting it inside India newly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I'm planning to play a joke on these ....... (can't use the words on TBHP) - will bring back one more laptop, proudly declare that I have two of them, negotiate with them - and then pull out the declaration - let's see if I can take a picture of their faces at that time.
Good luck. I am just hoping that they are not retaining you of giving "false information" and wasting their precious time

Quote:
I think in this case, you should also have the Assest number / inventory number matching the laptop and not just serial number.

Quote:
I'm not sure the letter has any legal status. And mine is a small company - so again these guys don't care much. Really expensive equipment imported legally (all duties paid) lies at the customs for months.
All you need is to prove that you took it from India or bought it in India. But as you say, yes. They may insist that you are suppose to declare things that you are taking outside when you depart.

So, they cant be blamed if they ask you about this when you enter. Because, its our duty to see that we follow the procedure.

Last edited by mjothi : 1st August 2011 at 14:14.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 14:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before you do this, please ensure that everything else in your baggage is in order, else you will have to pay a bigger price as they are likelier to go through every minute detail if you rub them the wrong way!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 15:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to play a joke on these ....... (can't use the words on TBHP) - ...
Mess with customs at your own risk. There is no rewind button in life.
This is all i will say, based on a family member's recent nightmarish experience.

Last edited by WindRide : 1st August 2011 at 15:11.
WindRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 16:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Actually customs don't bother about a single laptop (unless their *business* running very low). Ideally if your company is part of SEZ or STPI, one must carry official bonded movement record with him while going out of the Country! Otherwise you are liable for prosecution!.

The process of getting this letter is complex, your company must have STPI/SEZ representative who will interact with respective organization and get you endorsement. Usually it takes 3 days to get this letter!
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure the letter has any legal status.
Naah , I am pretty sure too that it wont have any sort of legal standing at all. Its just that it gives you some extra amount of wiggle room, just incase they object.

BTW, It helps if you put the two laptops in 2 separate bags.

PS : In my experience, the customs counter at the Mumbai airport is almost always deserted. I have seen people realise they have missed it until its too late and they are done with the security check. Its located just where the security check lines start.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

Sorry for going OT.

What about the foreign currency which one can get into the country. As per the CBEC website it says max 5000 USD or 10K USD traveller's cheque can be brought in, anything above that has to be declared in the Currency declaration form. In my experience not once has the travelling airlines bothered to ask whether I need the form nor the immigration officers/customs enquired about the same. Whats the rule on that?
Would it be better to get the foreign currency in cash or get it transferred through websites like money2india, remit2india etc before coming home.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Sorry for going OT.

What about the foreign currency which one can get into the country. As per the CBEC website it says max 5000 USD or 10K USD traveller's cheque can be brought in, anything above that has to be declared in the Currency declaration form. In my experience not once has the travelling airlines bothered to ask whether I need the form nor the immigration officers/customs enquired about the same. Whats the rule on that?
Would it be better to get the foreign currency in cash or get it transferred through websites like money2india, remit2india etc before coming home.

Get it transferred online. It is safe and hassle free. There is no need to carry a load of cash on yourself.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 22:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have a query regarding Customs at airport.

If i buy a home theater from Craigslist where sometimes a bose Home Theater can be got for 800$. There are many people who sell as they got this as a thanksgiving / christmas / new year gift. It retails at 1500 outside but people are willing to sell at 800USD.

How will the customs officer calculate duties for the same? First hand product will have bill but one purchased off craigslist would not have and since its a cash transaction, how will it be conluded ?
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote