Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Would a regular IT Joe be able to purchase a BMW in his life time ?
Yes 135 53.78%
No 116 46.22%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd August 2011, 20:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would a regular IT Joe be able to purchase a BMW in his life time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think this is good topic but the core question is misunderstood by most. The question is not about Can a regular IT joe be able to buy a BMW? but about would he?

The answer to first question ie. can he is YES but to would he is NO, there are ofcourse exceptions but for most of IT folks, forget a regular Joe, he wouldn't because by the time he can he either has other priorities or is uncertain(Constantly on the move etc) or simply not interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am regular IT Joe,
So for all those who took the question literally, I think we all know the original poster's intent was to ask "How many of us can 'afford' to buy and maintain a new beemer" or the like.

While a regular IT Joe "might" be able to buy a beemer, by all probabilities he would not! I will not, because I cannot afford to!
+100 to the above two posts.I thought our engineers would see/get the real intent of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say No. A "regular IT Joe" (aside: I find that term really offensive or condescending at best and am surprised nobody has brought it up yet)
I don't find the term offensive. I am an IT professional. It is all in the the perception.

Quote:
But the bigger reason why he would not be able to buy a BMW is that anybody who thinks of himself as a "regular Joe" is unlikely to go very far in life. Don't get me wrong- it's not my intention to belittle anyone. But life is about dreams. And everyone's dreams are different. I'm pretty sure nobody dreams of being a regular IT Joe all his life: if he does, well...good luck to him!
It is good to dream,and one should, else what is the real purpose of life ?
We are trying to find out if ones dream is to own a BMW and if he/she is in IT profession, is that dream fulfillable

Quote:
Someone who has spent 12-15 years in the industry, has had enough overseas experience, developed a saleable skill set and makes the right career moves is DEFINITELY in a position to afford a BMW. An X1 or 320dCE or used 5 perhaps, but a Bimmer nonetheless.
This is more like an answer.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would a regular IT Joe be able to buy a BMW?

Before a beemer I would like to own a house with my hard earned money. We know our parents have properties for us but a house of one's own is a dream.

Coming to the topic I think it is very much possible to own a BMW like an X1 (it is the cheapest beemer out there) if a person draws a handsome salary in double figures. It is sure that any salaried IT/MBA person will take loan for that. Now one will be able to own the car but the maintenance part will hurt a lot. Even small repair/replacement of a part of a BMW car will cost anything above 50K (my assumption).

I too would like to own a BMW.
Right now I am an IT professional but want to pursue MBA next year to add some weightage to my resume and payslip.

PS – Very good and interesting thread, rating five stars.

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd August 2011 at 21:11.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Ok, let me add my 2p here - I am one of the regular IT Joes/slaves, at a senior level. Very seriously considered a BMW 320D and dropped the idea because:

a) My current car runs without hassles (Altis) and not very old <3 years.
b) Most importantly I have other priorities.

That said, owning a BMW especially a 530d (I used to commute in a colleague's 530d whilst in the UK) is a dream and I hope to make it come true some day

Feedback on TBHP detailing their German car ownership experience is scary. I am not comfortable with cars that run like rockets but are unreliable and cost a bomb to maintain over the medium to long term. Can I afford to maintain a Beemer? Yes, I can. But my expectations in performance, reliability and quality rise exponentially with the price I pay for my car. And on most counts the Germans have lost out on reliability to the Japs and dare I say the Koreans.

Ergo, a Beemer does not make sense to me at this point in time.

Regards,

PS - I voted No because IMHO BMW is NOT an ordinary IT Joe's car.

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd August 2011 at 21:27.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:28   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
And frankly it's not about IT folks either. Loads of people with say a 30-40L 'income' package (from different walks of life) can afford to buy such a car. But I'm sure very few do. My counter question would be. If 10 'regular IT joes' are 'gifted' 50L each. How many of them would go buy a 3 series today?
Actually this is about IT folks atleast that's what was the intent of OP. There are various segments of salaried people as well as those who are self employed. This thread is about a specific group of salaried individuals.

Each line of profession has its own set of dynamics. One of the challenges that IT folks often face is the top Boss driving a car from a lower segment than what you want to buy. Again this depends on Boss to Boss & office to office but it does exist.

e.g. my manager in Offshore who was two levels above me Drives a Swift while I know that paywise he can easily afford a City if not the Civic, our COO gets driven in a Civic while he can easily afford an E class/5 series if not an S/7. I have heard some of my colleagues opting for a lesser car than they can so that they dont get perceived as show offs.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd August 2011 at 22:02. Reason: forgot "don't" in last sentence originally.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:29   #65
BHPian

If one has the money for X1 will they not look for alternatives in that price range now that we have many options in India? BMW has a huge brand value ofcourse.
prabhuferrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:29   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Before a beemer I would like to own a house with my hard earned money. We know our parents have properties for us but a house of one's own is a dream.

I too would like to own a BMW.
Right now I am an IT professional but want to pursue MBA next year to add some weightage to my resume and payslip.

PS – Very good and interesting thread, rating five stars.
I have to agree with bluevolt on this. A house of own is a dream for anyone. So,what I will do is buy a house first and then when the prices shoot by double the original, sell it and buy a bimmer!

And then half the money goes to BMW or Mitsubishi dealer (EVO-X in my mind) and the rest half will be used to buy a new house in suburbs.

I know these are the extremities of human stupidity above but the way some of my acquaintances earn and have real estate worth crores, makes me believe that they can even buy a S-class or an 911 with that money. But,yes nobody is that stupid to do that. Wonder why?

PS: I am unemployed!

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd August 2011 at 22:01. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, thanks
Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Each line of profession has its own set of dynamics. One of the challenges that IT folks often face is the top Boss driving a car from a lower segment than what you want to buy. Again this depends on Boss to Boss & office to office but it does exist.

e.g. my manager in Offshore who was two levels above me Drives a Swift while I know that paywise he can easily afford a City if not the Civic, our COO gets driven in a Civic while he can easily afford an E class/5 series if not an S/7. I have heard some of my colleagues opting for a lesser car than they can so that they get perceived as show offs.
Agreed, driving a car that's from a higher segment than your boss' or your senior mgmt can have some ramifications. More often than not you ARE perceived as a show off and hedonistic by your peers and even superiors. Honestly it was one more reason why I gave up the BMW 320D dream. If I ever buy one it will not be my regular commute for sure.

Regards,
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Agreed, driving a car that's from a higher segment than your boss' or your senior mgmt can have some ramifications. More often than not you ARE perceived as a show off and hedonistic by your peers and even superiors. Honestly it was one more reason why I gave up the BMW 320D dream. If I ever buy one it will not be my regular commute for sure.

Regards,
Why would it be considered a show off ? You have the money and you are spending it. Some people have money but they can never spend. I am not finding fault with their line of thought, but I think as long there are no dependencies, the principle should be "Life life king size", after all we get only one life.
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:55   #69
Senior - BHPian

How about some real word examples of IT joe buy a BMW ? .That should inspire others and prove many wrong .

I think the same applies ,whether a regular IT joe can buy a 12-15 Lakh superbike ?

Here is one Living With A Superbike: 26. Straight Talk- The real Indian Superbiker

I know of one guy who is almost on verge of getting a superbike with salaried income , but thinks what will ppl next door say , or would it attract anti social elements attention to him and his family .

The question I ask many times is ,what if you die in an accident tomoro ? , what if you are disabled ?,what if there is war tomorrow ,earthquake or 2012 ?. life can change in minutes .

whats the use of money later in life when you cannot enjoy when you are young and healthy ? .Should you just blow up the money and buy the one you dream ?

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd August 2011 at 23:12. Reason: Video not reqd. Off topic.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Why would it be considered a show off ? You have the money and you are spending it. Some people have money but they can never spend. I am not finding fault with their line of thought, but I think as long there are no dependencies, the principle should be "Life life king size", after all we get only one life.
While I would agree with your statement about living life king size, people at least those with jobs, generally take a more holistic view of life including life's priorities.

Also, I am afraid there's really no answer to the question why it is considered showing off. It is in people's mindset and let me tell you that when you are at senior levels in any company (except the one you may own) you need to be sensitive to ummm..shall we say the cultural aspects as well.
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
While I would agree with your statement about living life king size, people at least those with jobs, generally take a more holistic view of life including life's priorities.
With all due respect, I do have a job. . I said when one doesn't have dependencies .
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
With all due respect, I do have a job. . I said when one doesn't have dependencies .
I am sorry it came across that way, but that's not what I meant.

When I say people with jobs - I mean serving in an organisation i.e what we Indians like to call 'service' in the occupation field whilst filling forms.

Cheers!

PS - Dependencies and commitments whether financial or personal are on my list of life's priorities.

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd August 2011 at 22:12.
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:51   #73
BHPian

Some of the replies have really surprised me. As far as the thread goes I think the person who started this is dreaming of owning a beamer but the salary he is getting currently is not enough. To him - I am in the same situation and I too sometimes think like this. I am assuming that when you say a BMW you are talking about brand new and not second hand. As far as I know the cheapest or rather the least expensive BMW will cost 30-34 lakhs. Can some one please calculate an approximate EMI for this using reasonable assumptions.

Someone pointed out that even if an IT guy had money he will not buy it becuase of other priorities. Well ofcourse if he does not like cars he will not buy it. The question is given that it is his/her dream of buying a BMW can his IT job give him that.

My answer - If you want to own a brand new BMW at the age of 22-24 with your IT job, forget it. Some of my friends are working in IT jobs at the entry level and their pay is 22-25k per month. Let us say they work for 6 years. What would their salary be then? 60k? 70k? I might be wrong in assuming these figures because I do not know much about growth in IT sector. I will be happy if someone can correct me.

I would say it is better to calculate how much minimum salary is required to own a BMW. Ofcourse this minimum figure will be based on some assumptions.
Saanil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

To add:

For a change I just checked few IT guys (age 40+) and I know their earning approx (30L to 80L per annum) and they drive cars like Fusion, i20, Astra, Civic, Laura, Indigo Marina, Scorpio, Innova etc. They can afford it but still they dont buy Beemer/Merc :-).

NB:Most of them have 2-3 flats in Bangalore.

I am an IT guy and I dream of owning a M3 (Yet to finalize the colour) :-)

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th August 2011 at 00:00.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 00:08   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
I don't find the term offensive. I am an IT professional. It is all in the the perception.
Yes, agree 100%. If we went through 3 pages of this thread, with most replies by IT-guys and none felt it was offensive, then indeed there would be a reason that no one thought it offensive. I saw "regular IT Joe" to mean as someone in IT, which is what I am. And I dont think it is demeaning in any way.

And dreams do not necessarily have to be about owning BMWs. There are those that dream to serve others. Is there anything wrong in that dream of serving humanity, which would not get you a BMW or a hefty bank-balance, but give you satisfaction ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
+100 to the above two posts.I thought our engineers would see/get the real intent of the question.
We are trying to find out if ones dream is to own a BMW and if he/she is in IT profession, is that dream fulfillable
With these 2 statements, F150, you are confusing us. From your OP, it seems like you are asking if an IT guy can afford to own a BMW, as in "does he have the moolah to buy one ?" Especially the "slogging for a lifetime" & "fulfillable" bit clearly points to this. But then you say the intent was to know if an IT guy would actually own one.

I am an IT guy, have been in this industry for 15 years and yes I can buy a BMW today without EMI - paying hard cash and without destabilising my retirement plans. But will I do it ? No. As much as I like BMW (and Merc), I don't really see anything aspirational in them (thanks Shuvc) to plonk down 30-35 big ones just to commute 20kms to work in choking traffic when my Baleno does a good job of the same. And to add to it, while I am at work, I would have to worry about stupid IT joes touching/defacing my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil
Someone pointed out that even if an IT guy had money he will not buy it becuase of other priorities. Well ofcourse if he does not like cars he will not buy it. The question is given that it is his/her dream of buying a BMW can his IT job give him that.
It is not about liking - if we did not like cars, we wont be here on the forum. I see an Audi on the street, I like it. I see a Merc, I like it. I see a BMW, I like it. I like a Civic/Vento too. But how many cars does a person need ? How many would he buy to satiate that liking ? How many could he actually enjoy ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th August 2011 at 00:12.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote