Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th August 2011, 12:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default SOHO setup assistance required

Hi Guys,

As the title says, I am trying to setup a small office.

Brief Background:

Its for an ITeS company me and a couple of other guys have started.
Got caught by surprise with the immediate influx of business.
Now, i need to setup a barebones IT services office for approximately 10 guys, in the vicinity of patel nagar(delhi).

As i was discussing this with my friend, we realised how little we know of admin, when we saw that we missed out on stuff like drinking water, pantry area etc.

All we had considered was, computer hardware, a table, and a chair for each person....

This is a temporary setup, for a couple of months, till the time when we locate a decent-er location for more people, and get a proper admin guy on board.

As far as possible, I am keeping everything on rent(including IT hardware, as in the industry we are in, the obsolescence period is a matter of weeks).

Can you help me with the nitty gritties of what all is actually required, and possibly, if you know good, cheap, sourcing points in delhi?

So far i have thought of :

IT hardware.
Basic workstation furniture.(sourcing needed)
Water/Pantry supplies(some detals would help)
Ventilation(aircon etc.sourcing needed here too)
what else????

any help would be, well, helpful....
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 13:29   #2
BHPian

Default Re: SOHO setup assistance required

Mayank,
congrats on the venture!
I would suggest you hire an architect and give him the job on a turnkey base. It will save you a lot of hassles on site coordination and sourcing.
You will need a secure area for your server / rack as well. this will need to be air-conditioned as well.
Get a water cooler/heater that uses a regular bubble top refill and tie up with a water supplier. There is a model with a small refrigerator at the bottom. Add a microwave to the pantry list.
A suggestion - save money on workstations and spend it on good chairs!
A small meeting area with a white board will help!
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 20:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ever heard of tenders? That is what we guvernment babus use to ascertain which of the contractors pay (us) - or supply - the most. Use it. Call up 3 to 5 guys / shops and ask for tenders with proper specifications / samples / brand AND model names.

Leases / rentals will only give you an assurance that the items are taken away at end of your use. If need is absolutely temporary, you may be better off simply buying used items.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 20:52   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, congratulations on the new venture, Mayankk! Wish you & your team the very best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is a temporary setup, for a couple of months, till the time when we locate a decent-er location for more people, and get a proper admin guy on board.
- Basic furniture : Get the knockdown variety from a known vendor. You'll be surprised at the durability & cost-effectiveness. Plus, you can take it with you when you move!

- TWO internet connections; one primary (high speed) and one cheap backup.

- Security measures (securing entry when you are away) and / or a security guard. You don't want your equipment missing when you arrive at work on Monday morning.

- Phone line with EPABX system.

- Air conditioners. Rent since your current place is temporary. Buy when you are flush with cash

- Printer + copy machine + scanner.

- 1 office peon for the local / running around kind of work.

- Clean rest room /s

- Tea / Coffee machine & a water dispenser.

- Audio system? 5 speaker units that hook up to your computer cost 5K. Nice to have music in the background.

- 2 Fire extinguishers.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 22:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!
GTO has mentioned everything, I just would like to add that you grow organically and in sustained manner, things are choppy in the near future if you are dependent on forex. Also manage your accounts well.

Quality over quantity, small yet significant things make or break a venture.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:21   #6
BHPian

Mayank, first off congrats and best of luck.

Maintaining an office is difficult and an overhead when you are just starting out. Have you looked at the option of ready to use offices? I currently work for a 15 person company and we have rented out a few rooms from Regus The office space, furniture, telephone, internet, pantry etc are taken care by them. The only thing ours is the computer hardware. It is expensive but an ideal solution for startups.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 00:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar

Maintaining an office is difficult and an overhead when you are just starting out. Have you looked at the option of ready to use offices? I currently work for a 15 person company and we have rented out a few rooms from Regus The office space, furniture, telephone, internet, pantry etc are taken care by them. The only thing ours is the computer hardware. It is expensive but an ideal solution for startups.
A very helpful comment indeed. However Regus is v. expensive. He wants a place in Delhi and Regus is in Gurgaon. I had a three station plan with them but my work was different than his.

There are new soho offices working on same concept but again i don't know any in Delhi.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Mayank,
congrats on the venture!
I would suggest you hire an architect and give him the job on a turnkey base. It will save you a lot of hassles on site coordination and sourcing.
You will need a secure area for your server / rack as well. this will need to be air-conditioned as well.
Get a water cooler/heater that uses a regular bubble top refill and tie up with a water supplier. There is a model with a small refrigerator at the bottom. Add a microwave to the pantry list.
A suggestion - save money on workstations and spend it on good chairs!
A small meeting area with a white board will help!
Thank you Viper.
The architect bit is interesting.
but i dont know how soon we'll be able to face that expense.
Thats why the current scenario of on-rent infra.
Rest everything ive put into my "office mgmt for dummies" handbook...
But i didnt get the bit about saving on workstations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Ever heard of tenders? That is what we guvernment babus use to ascertain which of the contractors pay (us) - or supply - the most. Use it. Call up 3 to 5 guys / shops and ask for tenders with proper specifications / samples / brand AND model names.

Leases / rentals will only give you an assurance that the items are taken away at end of your use. If need is absolutely temporary, you may be better off simply buying used items.
Yup!
Much too aware of the tendering process.But i am ususally on the vendor side of the table.
I did get in touch with about 4 vendors for furniture, so today they are going to offer me best rates.
Unlike tendering though, ill pick out the best and most-effective option from different vendors..
Used items?
i dont know, it would be hard to maintain visual harmony in that case, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Firstly, congratulations on the new venture, Mayankk! Wish you & your team the very best.

- Basic furniture : Get the knockdown variety from a known vendor. You'll be surprised at the durability & cost-effectiveness. Plus, you can take it with you when you move!

- TWO internet connections; one primary (high speed) and one cheap backup.

- Security measures (securing entry when you are away) and / or a security guard. You don't want your equipment missing when you arrive at work on Monday morning.

- Phone line with EPABX system.

- Air conditioners. Rent since your current place is temporary. Buy when you are flush with cash

- Printer + copy machine + scanner.

- 1 office peon for the local / running around kind of work.

- Clean rest room /s

- Tea / Coffee machine & a water dispenser.

- Audio system? 5 speaker units that hook up to your computer cost 5K. Nice to have music in the background.

- 2 Fire extinguishers.
Thanks GTO.
Again, all in the handbook.
Internet, we wont be online, as all the tasks are to be done on standalone machines.But will definitely get an upgradeable option, at least for the machine that will download the data from the FTP server.
In the scheme of things, its a cost that will have to borne,but right now, we are on a shoestring of the shoes that people-who-live-on-shoestrings-wear budget.

Music, had been done already by the time my friend I sat down onsite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Congratulations!
GTO has mentioned everything, I just would like to add that you grow organically and in sustained manner, things are choppy in the near future if you are dependent on forex. Also manage your accounts well.

Quality over quantity, small yet significant things make or break a venture.
Ohhh boy, thats struck closer to the heart than you might imagine....but i think we will get by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

A friend of mine in knighfrank told me that would be like the D-Segment of outsourcing official space.
Again, budgetary constraints, but is a very attractive option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
A very helpful comment indeed. However Regus is v. expensive. He wants a place in Delhi and Regus is in Gurgaon. I had a three station plan with them but my work was different than his.

There are new soho offices working on same concept but again i don't know any in Delhi.
Thank you guys!!!
this definitely gives a rudder to my boat right now!!
Will update soon enough hopefully!!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 16:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Thank you Viper.
The architect bit is interesting.

But i didnt get the bit about saving on workstations....
I meant go for the cheapest one here and spend the saving on a better chair!
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 21:31   #10
lsp
BHPian

Since most of the other things have been covered very well by the earlier posters I would just like to throw some weird suggestions.

If you are looking to hire a new place, it would be nice to have a place which has a balcony or some open space. Keep some plants there. Taking a small break from work in an area which has greenery really works wonders for me. (The open balcony can also be the designated spot for the smokers in your team).

Microwave and fridge in the pantry. Microwave for people to heat their lunch, cook maggi etc and fridge to hold cold drinks, desserts, ice creams etc.

Humidifier - if the air cons dont have in-built one then invest in one.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote