Team-BHP - No photo ID at airport!??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   No photo ID at airport!?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/106334-no-photo-id-airport.html)

This is just to share my experience if you show up at airport and realize there is no photo ID on you.

Today after noon I am flying to Ahmedabad. Hurriedly got out of office and on the way to airport went home to pick up my bag. Could have carried it along in the morning but since home is directly on route to airport planned to have a quick early lunch too as there was no food served on Spice jet.

At home wife suggested a change of clothes as well. Delhi hot and humid weather = lots of sweat. As you guessed it left my wallet at home in the process.

I had also to collect ticket print out from counter. Here I explained my predicament to the people at the counter. They asked me couple of questions and then stamped my ticket print out with "ID Verified" stamp. They said they would have no problem but CISF security may stop you.

At the entry gate I went up to the CISF inspector and told him "I have no photo ID as I have left my wallet at home but Spice jet has verified my ID on the ticket" and showed him the print out with rubber stamp verification on it.

That was sufficient to let me in. I am wondering if this would also work on my way back at Ahmedabad on Monday???

Anyone else has had similar experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 2473674)
That was sufficient to let me in. I am wondering if this would also work on my way back at Ahmedabad on Monday???

Wow, isnt that a security error/ breach? Perhaps you have flown with them before so they might have some record/ history with them.

To be on the safe side, I recommend you to carry at least a photocopy of your id. Perhaps someone at home can email you a scanned copy of your id which you can print and take with you? It would be better than travelling with no proof at all

This has happened to someone in distant family and there is no guarantee that they will allow you again. In our case a scanned PDF was sent and the person took a print out of that and the flew back. There is a risk in this as well, but something is better than nothing.

I see your stay isn't very long (Returning on monday) hence getting some ID couriered to you place in Ahmadabad isn't an option available.

everything depends on the mood of the CISF officers on duty , they can stop you if they go by the book but that is not the case always.

If CISF decides to stop you then it will be well within their defined duty. Better get someone at home to email you a scanned copy of a couple of photo IDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2473723)
Wow, isnt that a security error/ breach? Perhaps you have flown with them before so they might have some record/ history with them.

Speaking as a system view yes it is a security breach. Spice verified me on basis of time of booking, phone number and address given at time of online booking. Which is reasonable cross check. These details are not on PNR print out.

@All :Thanks for advice will try to get photo of license and PAN card scanned and sent to me.

On a related note; the issue of having the photocopy of the Credit Card used for booking the ticket (if the CC holder is not travelling) too is very ambiguous.

A friend traveled on a Indigo flight some time back and did not carry the photocopy of his dad's CC that was used for booking the flight. Despite explaining that he was a student, his dad calling the airline etc., they wouldn't issue a boarding pass for him. Ultimately, my friend had to pay for the ticket again and the money for the original ticket was refunded within 7 days.

However, the same friend flew Jet later and had no problems whatsoever.

I think it all depends on the mood of the person as someone pointed out. These processes should be strictly followed. However, there always arises the question of what in case of inadvertent mistake.