Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th September 2011, 10:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How to ged rid of a rat in the house ?

Get a cat.

If nothing works, set the house on fire.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 16:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

If nothing works, set the house on fire.
Good you are not a doctor! (or are you?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
It is a pest. As simple as that. Either you let it be (then dont even bother trapping it) or finish the job, instead of dumping the problem on someone else. What wooded area in the city where houses share walls ?
1. I am not against killing - just let it be a swift and clean kill - better to smash the rat's head than drown/posion it.
2. There was a mention of leaving the rat some 15 kms away - there will definitely be a wooded / isolated area on the way.

Quote:
Drowning would be sort of instantaneous.
Drowning is the one of the worst ways to kill - the death is slow and painful. Try diving into a pool and inhaling some water - feel it and let me know how instantaneous (or momentary) the suffering is!

Quote:
By the inhuman theory, we should not be killing Vampires too, right ?
Again, I am not against killing - just make it quick!

There was no offense meant while posting the vampires post - the 'death by sun' theory bears an uncanny resemblance with the vampire stories!
blueorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 20:43   #33
BHPian

Talking Got rid of the rat !

I am happy to report that I got rid of the rat last night. It was not a small mouse, it was a big rat.

It seems that the little guy was enjoying Lord Ganpati's blessings and so was difficult to get rid of during the Ganesh Chaturthi period. But his luck ran out after the Ganesh festival were over.

Last night around 4 am I was woken up by the rat's noise. I managed to locate its hiding place.

Believe it or not, I actually shooed it out of the house with a broom in my hand.

I closed the doors of all the other rooms and left only the main door open as an escape path for it. As I shooed it with the broom, it started running but found all the doors closed. It had no option but to run away from the house.

But in the process it gave me a nice demo of its athletic capabilities. I tell you, these creatures can really run fast, jump high and squeeze through the smallest of holes.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 20:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

How did you manage to clear off the mess later on?
It is actually easier than poison, trap etc. No finesse required. Just pick it up by the tail and throw it away.

The second time there was a bit of a problem though. I was staying on a 9th floor apartment then. I just chucked it out and it landed on someone.
I can still imagine the reaction.
chinkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 20:55   #35
mxx
BHPian

So, you got rid of it finally. Good.

This is a good reference material incase you need in future Mousehunt (1997) - IMDb
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 17:04   #36
MK3
BHPian

If you would ask me, i will say, best way to get rid of rat/mouse is to use a mouse-trap. The reason, we can decide where the rat has to go. By shooing it away, there is always a risk of it coming back into the house, given that it knows the plan of the house.
MK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 23:48   #37
BHPian

So you also had a big rat!
And instead of the hockey stick, you used the broom. Kudos.
chinkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 08:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well Rohan, if the movie Mousehunt is anything to go by, expect our big fella to be back home by dinnertime
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 08:57   #39
BHPian

Rat killing cake
Rat Sticking Pad which is glue at one side
Call up Pidepiper

Or wait till rains get over. Generally water logging in holes causes them to take shrine in our homes.
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 09:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got rid of the rat !

Rats and mice are indeed highly athletic. they usually target independent houses because of undergrowth surrounding the house in neighbouring sites etc. They can almost climb sheer walls through building momentum and catching any claw holds possible, curtains and stuff are very easy for them to climb.they lurk behind pelmets and at the top of the window frames hanging on to the velcro for the mosquito netting.

but if any of them do turn up at my house my 2 Alsatians hunt them down very nicely - they form a team and corner the beast in a pincer movement and then one of them lunges, catches the creature and shakes it hard thus breaking the rodent's neck.

My labrador watches from the gallery - she doesnt like getting her paws dirty with rodents and things. thing is that while I dont like killing any animal per se, these rodents are real pests + they carry leptospirosis and rabies and so on. Luckily all my dogs are carefully monitored and vaccinated so there is no risk for them. Luckily these last few years we've had only 3 rats turn up inside the house.

Good to get a regular quarterly pest control job done in and around the house -also the drainage system and bathrooms in particular. Keeps the creatures at bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
But in the process it gave me a nice demo of its athletic capabilities. I tell you, these creatures can really run fast, jump high and squeeze through the smallest of holes.

Rohan
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 09:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

hmm, their sense of smell can bring them back in no time...

my trick is rat cakes - nearly the whole perimeter of the house interior with 10cm gap was lined up with these. Took nearly 10 packets of 5 slices - next morning many were missing but still the noise was present. Learnt the rat found a hiding spot and storing many cakes and eating one at a time, 1 fine day rat noise stopped and it vanished by itself. I always keep 5 packets of rat cake @ home!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 13:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well Rohan, if the movie Mousehunt is anything to go by, expect our big fella to be back home by dinnertime
I was expecting the same. But it has been 2 days since I shooed it out of my house and I don't think it has managed to return. I don't hear the rat noises anymore or find any other rodent activity in the house.

May be it found another house to hide in, or became prey to the crows/eagles which keep circling our apartment complex.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 14:13   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

@rohan, you shoeed it out, but how will you ensure that it never returns ? You can't keep all doors closed at all times, can you ?

BTW, was witness to a funny cat-rat incident some weeks ago. I see this huge rodent (too big to be a rat/mouse - called peruchazhi in Malayalam/Tamizh) ambling leisurely on the rear wall of our apartment complex. Then I see one of the many stray cats in the neighborhood walking towards the rodent. As the predator and prey stare at each other, then take cautious steps, I am imagining the encounter to follow. While the rodent stays still, the cat moves forward slowly, as if to go for the kill. And then, the cat jumps down from the wall and goes its way, while the rodent walks away victorius. I would not blame the cat though, because the rodent was as big as the cat.

@blueorchid, since you also agree that killing these pests is OK, we are differing only on the method to be used, which is too trivial a technicality for us to waste pages on. To each his own - I would prefer the hands-off way of drowning, compared to smashing it's head with stuff splattered all over, adding a cleaning chore.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 14:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

We have had rat issues particularly bad this year. What works best? Traps with pakodas, the pads with special glue (big sized) and cakes for poisoning the rats. The last rat whom we drove out of the house in the middle of the night, reappeared after a day or two, and managed to avoid everything we threw at him. Finally we found it dead inside the drawer under a bed, having eaten the cakes.

So try everything. And please don't make the mistake of letting it out alive.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 14:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I was expecting the same. But it has been 2 days since I shooed it out of my house and I don't think it has managed to return. I don't hear the rat noises anymore or find any other rodent activity in the house.

May be it found another house to hide in, or became prey to the crows/eagles which keep circling our apartment complex.

Rohan
Well, as someone who has also driven out a rat at 1am from my 3rd floor apartment, here is what I did next to prevent a reappearance.

- Ensured that all drains were sealed. Some of them had removable traps which could be moved aside earlier
- Toilet doors were closed and padded up to plug gaps
- All mosquito grill windows were reinforced
- The drain below the kitchen sink was also plugged
- No food stuff or water left in the open. All buckets drained and kept ulta. Toilet lids shut.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote