Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th October 2011, 12:27   #61
BHPian

Default Re: How to ged rid of a rat in the house ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Guys, I have an unusual Rat problem. I just installed HIDs on my Cedia and the cables are so thin and obviously so tasty. Today is the third time, rats have had part of the cables for their dinner. Possibly small baby rats, that could get through into the narrow gap that is around the cables and they feast on them. Never had this problem before on the OEM (!) cables. Any suggestions please? Sleeving? Smear rat poison on the cable? Change to anti-rodent cable? Any real experience would help.
There is a separate thread for rats in car. Please put your query in that thread, you would get better response.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 13:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't get that thread by search. Could you give me a link please. Would appreciate it.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
I couldn't get that thread by search. Could you give me a link please. Would appreciate it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html (How do you protect your car from rats?)

Here it is!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 16:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Gansan,
Thanks a ton. Just jumping to that thread now.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 11:44   #65

Hey folks,

I have bandicoot problem which is creating havoc with my potted plants in my backyard and balcony. It is digging up the soil in the pots and breaking plants. I tried to use the rat cake that is sold in supermarkets, but saw that it did not really make any difference. Tried 2 different brands. I wanted to get an ultrasonic repellent, but was told it is effective only in closed spaces and not really open ones.
Completely at a loss as to what to do and then someone suggested glue traps. But wanted to see if someone has tried to trap a bandicoot (3x or 4x the rat size) on a glue trap.
Also, any other suggestions would be very welcome as this pest is really getting on my nerves and driving me crazy.
BTW, I live in J P Nagar Bangalore and if there are options available in and around that area, would be preferred due to the frustrating traffic conditions.
Thanks in advance,
pramodhrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 12:55   #66
BHPian

Pramod
Did you try the age old spring operated rat tap? You should easily get it any any market around JPNagar. I am using it for last 4-5 years.
Usually you kill one rat and the next one pops up in another 6 months. You kill that too. There is no permanent fix for Ganesh vahans as such.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 14:53   #67
BHPian

We had trouble with rats recently. One chewed up the potted plants on the balcony and also made off with some of the clothes hanging out to dry. Solved the problem by calling a pest control company. We have a contract with them for cockroach treatment anyway, so it was easy. They put a mixture of bait + poison in small paper plates at various locations on the ground floor and basement. The following day 3 large rats were found dead and disposed off. Plan to keep the poison for another 10-15 days before dumping it, and repeat every 3-6 months.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 13:03   #68
BANNED

Best option is a cat. Make sure you don't feed the cat though.
Next option is to take some pakodas and fill them with zinc phosphide.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 14:25   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen
Did you try the age old spring operated rat tap?
Or the rat-traps which auto-lock once the rats step in to have a go at the bait inside ? We use two of these at Kerala with tapioca / banana as bait and are pretty effective in snagging rats. Make sure to keep the traps in some desolate corner or among other stuff - rats apparently avoid traps placed in the open. Something like this.
Name:  rattrap.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  125.4 KB

Killing them once caught, is the issue. If you are drowning them, they need to be put under water atleast for 10mins before they die. Another way is to leave the cage in the sun for an hour or so.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 00:28   #70
BHPian

I have been having severe rat problems around my house. I tried poison using paste applied on banana or dry fish, poison cake etc, but none worked. Tried the glue board, but the rats were too heavy for the boards and I could see the boards over turned and messed up with.

Then bought two rat traps, large ones. Initially tried luring with dry fish but it never worked. Then tried with coconut and voila ! rats were taking the bait just like anything. They seem to have a excellent taste for coconut. In a span of 3 weeks caught about 15 of the rodents !!. Never imagined so many in the courtyard and lawns.

The killing part - I cannot drown them since the rat traps are large. Putting them out in the sun also did not work. Nor do I want to transport a rat in my car. So took advice from the hardware store guy who sold me the traps, I have to admit it is sad and inhumane - pour boiling water over the rat. The rat get killed in 2-3 minutes.
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 05:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Then tried with coconut and voila ! rats were taking the bait just like anything. They seem to have a excellent taste for coconut. In a span of 3 weeks caught about 15 of the rodents !!. Never imagined so many in the courtyard and lawns.

The killing part -.
We have the normal rat trap which basically shuts on the head of the rat. This way we dont have to manually kill.

Try putting the coconut on fire before you put it in the trap. Becomes more of a scent which helps a crazy amount. My fortuner wiring were cut apart by these buggers!

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote