Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th September 2011, 12:22   #1
BHPian

Angry How to ged rid of a rat in the house ?

I have an unwanted rat living in my house.

I live in an apartment on the 4th floor. First of all, how do these rats manage to reach the 4th floor ? Are rats capable of climbing vertical walls if the walls have a rough texture ?

I have had 4 rats in my house in the past 6 months or so, including this one. The last 3 were dumb and easily got trapped in a rat trap in a day or two. After trapping these rats, I released them 15 kms away from my house (so that they can't find their way back).

But this rat which is currently living in my house seems to be very intelligent. It refuses to get trapped in the rat trap with the regular bait of bread+butter. This particular rat is also very health concious. It prefers to eat the stems of green vegetables from the dustbin.

How to trap this rat ? My regular bait of bread+butter is now working. What else could be used ? Any other expert opinions ?

I have heard of rat kill and rat glue, but I find these very inhuman. I would prefer to trap the rat and release it away from my house.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 12:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: How to ged rid of a rat in the house ?

Rat-trap is the best way to do it. Change the bait though from the Continental stuff (bread&butter) you are using now, to say some thing like tapioca etc.

BTW, no point in trapping them and releasing them some distance away, because you are then transferring the problem to someone else.
Instead, dunk them in a bucket of water, when in the trap. Yeah, I know inhuman etc. But then, you could as well let them share you apartment and live of the trash-bin.

I have heard that leaving the trap (with the rat inside) in the sun kills them. But never tried that. And what sun in Blore, right ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 12:31   #3
BHPian

Buy a CAT then , he will do the needful. Just kidding !

I don't really find any other option than a RAT kill or RAT glue,
Hope there are some Cakes sold in fertilizer shops to avoid Rats getting into Paddy or Rice fields in farms. try getting those, but they are poisonous and should be strictly away from kids.
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 12:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

How to trap this rat ? My regular bait of bread+butter is now working. What else could be used ? Any other expert opinions ?

Rohan
Dried coconut used as bait is useful, bread butter may not work. If you eat fish, you may try fish bones. Cheese also works great, and so do nuts!

Use 2-3 traps near locations frequented by the rat - also try to keep other food sources out of reach of the rat, so that it is compelled to go to the traps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, no point in trapping them and releasing them some distance away, because you are then transferring the problem to someone else.
Instead, dunk them in a bucket of water, when in the trap.
That is really inhuman and extremely cruel .
Please do not do such things - you may release the rat in some wooded area where it won't get into someone else's house, or if you do want to kill it, do it in one stroke without making it suffer (drowning, roasting the sun, poison etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

I have heard that leaving the trap (with the rat inside) in the sun kills them. But never tried that. And what sun in Blore, right ?
What are we trying to kill here, Vampires ?
blueorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 12:53   #5
BHPian

Rats can easily climb up drain pipes, wirings. In an apartment setting, the rats usually enter thru the drain pipes linking the bathrooms of all the apartments. If your neighbour(s) has rats and cockroaches, so will you. Securing the bathroom windows/exhausts with some extermination item every night will most probably help in reducing the problem in the future.

As for the existing friend inside your home : Patience. Install multiple traps with different baits around the house.
BBR_SHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 12:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

That glue thingy is the best! Its probably a bit inRat (rather than inhuman) but rats are a huge menace and they can destroy lots of stuff (in my aptt they destroyed stuff worth thousands of rupees (including an air inflatable mattress worth 3k, quilt worth 3k etc) before I was forced to buy that to catch them.

Catching them and leaving far from your place is not the best idea as somebody else might catch their own rats and leave them near your place and then you have the problem back! Just like cockroaches, its best to kill them.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 13:02   #7
BHPian

You are lucky that they are in your appt and not car! I have them in my cars and they are making life hell!

Try Roban(poison cakes) or those pastes(ratol i think) that you put on tasty bait. I found these glue pads in the local supermarket. Rats get stuck in it while treading over it but im yet to see how effective they are.

Dont use any of the above if you have pets!

Also, you'll need to figure out how they are getting into the appt!

Also, i kinda agree with Supremebaleno. it may be inhumane but imho its the right thing to do!
Cheers!

Last edited by james : 9th September 2011 at 13:03.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 13:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I have heard of rat kill and rat glue, but I find these very inhuman. I would prefer to trap the rat and release it away from my house.

Rohan
I appreciate your concern of inhuman treatment to rats/mouse but see they are not human(except Stuart Little) so, to get them away you have to use some way which eventually gonna cause some trouble to them.
try some peanut butter in you rat trap. its smell allures them. change the type of rat trap(like this one in picture). i have seen that these creature are very intelligent and adaptive. they can eat all from the trap and not get caught. so you also have to be very carefull that you set trap right(it should get trigger with slight movement or touch on bait.
find the entry point to your house, close it or put your trap right there.
if you have kids in house, i won't suggest using poison or such. even you have to be careful with rat trap. these can cause lot of pain if get released by accident and your finger get caught in these.
hope this help.
Attached Thumbnails
How to ged rid of a rat in the house ?-20091115.jpg  

Last edited by Suess : 9th September 2011 at 13:07.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 13:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

I was facing this problem last month.

Bought a rat trap. Placed a coconut inside it and also scattered some small pieces around the trap.

Trapped the Rat.

Forgot the part about leaving the rat far away.

Left it outside my house and immediately realized it was a stupid mistake. The rat simply ran back inside.

The next 3 days were spent trying to trap the rat.
But the smart guy, was avoiding the trap.

Figured out the the rat was entering my house from the terrace. The door had a small gap at its bottom.

I sealed it. Touchwood, no rat issues anymore.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 13:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you know the exit/entry points, get those steel wool utensil wash things, put it near the entry points, and douse liberally with black pepper.
else, if you can stand the smell, and if someone you know has a cat, get its blanket/litter box to keep near the rat's "hotspot".

@supremebaleno: Evil, man!!!!..........
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I knew there would be many fellow members suffering from this menace.

I release the rats 15 kms away from my house, near my office campus. There is a large bushy area behind my office campus. I am sure there are many rat eating snakes in that area, they would do the needful.

I would be the happy to kill the trapped rat myself. But the problem is that my wifey is very faint-hearted, she just wouldn't let me do it.

I have 2 balconies in my apartment. I am guessing that these creatures are entering the apartment if the balcony door is kept open. Will take care in the future. Other than these, there aren't any entry points in my apartment.

I don't have any kids or pets at home. So I would be willing to use any possible means to get rid of these creatures.

Let me try the rat trap with a different bait for a couple of days. I would also buy another trap and keep it in a different place. More traps = more probability of trapping the rat.

Rohan
Old 9th September 2011, 13:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: How to ged rid of a rat in the house ?

Quote:
... What else could be used ? ...
Take a small piece of fresh coconut, hold it with a pair of tongs and heat it for a few seconds on the gas stove. Dont over-heat (burn) it. Use this as a bait : we have used this very effectively in the past. The rats were always trapped within a few minutes of laying the bait. The aroma given off by the roasted coconut seems to entice the rats quite well.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 9th September 2011 at 13:59.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 14:19   #13
BHPian

A rat in the house is a pest, just like cockroach, mosquitoes, etc. So kill it. That's my opinion. Now here is how not to kill it.

We had a rat chewing away at power cables, eating (and infecting in the process) grain and vegetables. So my wife left a rat poison where it would be eaten. The rat did eat it but died away at leisure in some inaccessible corner. Now we have an even bigger problem, bigger than having a live rat in the house, which is having a dead rat hidden somewhere. Our kitchen began to smell like an MCD garbage dump, maybe even worse. We had to suffer this for one and half day. The smell lingered on for sometime even after locating and removing the culprit, and sanitising the area.
Guite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 14:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Now here is how not to kill it.
So my wife left a rat poison where it would be eaten. The rat did eat it but died away at leisure in some inaccessible corner. Now we have an even bigger problem, bigger than having a live rat in the house, which is having a dead rat hidden somewhere.
That is exactly why I am avoiding the use of rat poison.

While having a live rat in the house is a problem, but having a dead rat in the house is a much bigger problem.

Rohan
Old 9th September 2011, 14:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
A rat in the house is a pest, just like cockroach, mosquitoes, etc. So kill it. That's my opinion. Now here is how not to kill it.

We had a rat chewing away at power cables, eating (and infecting in the process) grain and vegetables. So my wife left a rat poison where it would be eaten. The rat did eat it but died away at leisure in some inaccessible corner. Now we have an even bigger problem, bigger than having a live rat in the house, which is having a dead rat hidden somewhere. Our kitchen began to smell like an MCD garbage dump, maybe even worse. We had to suffer this for one and half day. The smell lingered on for sometime even after locating and removing the culprit, and sanitising the area.
The rat poisons which used to be available a few years ago used to have instructions to leave a bowl of water near the place where you put the poison. The rat would invariably go for a drink :P after eating the atta balls mixed with the poison and die close by. Always worked.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote