Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th September 2011, 17:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Does it make sense to retain petrol cars, considering the frequent fuel hikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Most of the people who have brought diesel cars claim it is cheap to own because of lower fuel cost, they try to compare their diesel car with a petrol which is one segment below.
How about this. I bought VW Vento TDi Higline for Ex-Showrrom Rs. 9,13,000 and Honda City V MT costed Ex-Showroom Rs. 9,13,000 during Dec'10.
Zero break even time, cheaper running cost, higher mileage, higher service interval for VW, superb low end torque in city driving.
The thing been crude oil prices will keep going sky high as its a non-renewable resource and the deposits of it will be reducing/finish in another 50 yrs. So the need of time is to develop alternate fuel/hybrid cars.
Please we shouldn't cry foul if one person uses diesel and another petrol, its just that the later one is at loss because of ill government policy.
One thing that I dont like about petrol car owners is they keep talking about their high-revving engine, do you think you will keep your Honda City at boil in traffic. The low end torque of diesel is just awesome, easily pulls you through. And keeping your car revs high wont even deliver high fuel efficiency, so please no more high revving engine talks.
I for sure will always remain a diesel car owner even if someday diesel costs more than petrol.
Carroll Shelby once said: "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."
Just my 2 paisa.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 18:35   #47
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Does it make sense to retain petrol cars, considering the frequent fuel hikes?

Please don't convert this into another boring petrol owners versus diesel owners thread. The point of this discussion is: if you ARE an existing petrol car owner, will you, in the light of spiralling petrol prices, RETAIN that car, or will you sell it off/ trade it in for a diesel car?

Diesel owners, you made the right choice and we are pleased for you . But I would like to hear the opinions of people like selfdrive, who are petrol only like myself.

@bblost- interesting that you think used cars prices will fall as drivers move away from petrol. It's possible the reverse may happen if you factor in the movement of people buying NEW cars to old cars instead (pay less upfront since you're running costs are that much higher). What say?

Last edited by noopster : 16th September 2011 at 18:36.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 18:44   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@bblost- interesting that you think used cars prices will fall as drivers move away from petrol. It's possible the reverse may happen if you factor in the movement of people buying NEW cars to old cars instead (pay less upfront since you're running costs are that much higher). What say?
Oh that is an interesting perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If your WagonR isnt a Duo, you might as well sell it right away. No offence meant, but at that point the resale value for your WagonR would also fall away

Edit: just saw you said exchange, so perhaps you intended to say barter trade?
My wagon r is 7 years old. Its not going to depreciate by much in the next year or two.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 18:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel owners, you made the right choice and we are pleased for you . But I would like to hear the opinions of people like selfdrive, who are petrol only like myself.
if my wife sees this, noop its quite shrewd of you to ask for my opinion and literally put words in my mouth.

Disclaimer done - check
Blame passed - triple check (edit: at 6 sigma levels)

start story
me: yakayakayak (incoherent mumbling about some topic I dont remember, most probably ranting about traffic while driving)
wife: Petrol prices are being hiked again
me (eyes lighting up, but looking straight ahead): yeah
wife: one of the two cars should have been a diesel
me (barely able to contain the jumping): hmm
wife: maybe we should exchange one and get a diesel mill
me (yay!): true
wife: do you have any shortlisted ones. what do your bhpians recommend?
me: Yeti
wife: what?!
me (lower tone): yeti
wife: at the most it will be a beat or a figo
me: did you see that clown attempting a backflip while running across the road (ok I made that last one up!)
end story (for now)

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th September 2011 at 19:01.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 19:05   #50
Team-BHP Support

selfdrive... in my case it's more like a baleful look and a quiet, "Another car?"

Trading up between Swifts seems silly. Selling my Vxi for 2.x and buying an unknown quantity for 3.x is not something I see myself doing. Upgrading to a new Zdi, tempting as it is, is overkill. There was a lot of excited talk about getting a used Qualis after our Ladakh trip in the summer, turns out it aint that easy to get one!

For the first time I am seriously going through some kind of buyer's remorse for not getting the Vento TDI when I could've. Ahh what a combo that would be, along with the Swift. I envy naveen_raju so badly right about now!
Old 16th September 2011, 19:10   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
if you ARE an existing petrol car owner, will you, in the light of spiralling petrol prices, RETAIN that car
Absolutely, completely & sincerely YES

Reason : I love to drive, and (to me) the sheer pleasure of high-revving a petrol, using those additional rpms in corners and enjoying my early morning / late night drives is more important than the cost of fuel. I've said it before and said it again : Nothing beats the sheer joy of revving the nuts of a smooth, silky, redline-happy petrol engine. With diesels, the fun is over even before it starts.

Of course, a nicely tuned free flow & resultant aural symphony just adds that much more to the pleasure quotient of sweet petrols. Clattery diesels? No comparo.

Lastly, and this was completely unplanned, but somehow my other 3 cars are diesels . That said, if I were to buy 1 new C-segment sedan today, it would be the Linea T-Jet. That smile on my face is more important than the weight of my wallet. When I've lived, I want to know that I've lived like I wanted to. You could say that I prefer the sight of the rpm counter to the fuel gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
me: Yeti
Quote:
wife: at the most it will be a beat or a figo
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 19:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, this thread has brought in some wide range of irrespective

for now have decided to shelve the plans of upgrade or jump to diesel as i dont see any sense in it for now

with plans of retaining the beast now its time for some additions like FFE hehe
lohithrao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 19:23   #53
Team-BHP Support

@GTO- thanks mate. Shall retain a hard copy of your post and thrust it in the face of anyone who asks me, "You have TWO petrol cars? WHY?"

I have never driven a diesel car for any significant period of time: hell even the Innova in our family is a petrol one! My BIL thought it'd be a good idea, somehow.

I've driven a TJet so, yeah- I know what you're talking about! But following one's heart can only take you this far. Can you imagine thsi continuing and we end up in a situation where I pay 100/- while you with your 3 diesel babies pay something like half that?

Incidentally, for those wondering why selfdrive and I ended up with 2 petrol cars, it was not purely out of choice: he needed a couple of hatchbacks, one large and one small and duly got them (neither is available in petrol avatar). My case, I needed a used car FAST and got the first Swift I fell in love with and then wanted an AT so had to go with the Vento (not available in diesel). ARGH!
Old 16th September 2011, 20:42   #54
BHPian

Mates,

Even I have 2 petrol cars. I have no intention to sell either and buy a diesel.

My new City AT and i10 Kappa- both are fantastic cars to my taste and ability and I find them most suitable for my purpose-the bigger one for commuting my family and smaller one for my lonely strolls in the very busy city. My usage is not much,so both cars have not run much and are not damaging my pocket on a whole scale basis.

I had considered both diesel ATs-new Verna and Cruze-I did not like them. I will not buy a car just for fuel efficiency-I need a lot more. So far current diesels have not stimulated me-hence have not considered them. But if I come across a quality diesel that fits my bill in the future,I might consider it.

Selling my cars for high petrol price-no way. I am retaining both.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:09   #55
BHPian

One of my relative who works in Mahindra, told me few days ago that Goverment is making some draft for diesel cars, so that people using diesel cars can not enjoy the sudsidy benefits.

They are going to introduce some type of cards to all private diesel vechicle owners. This card will be required to show while filling up diesel at Fuel Stations.

He mentioned that after this, the diesel will cost 15 Rs more to us.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:14   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@GTO- thanks mate. Shall retain a hard copy of your post and thrust it in the face of anyone who asks me, "You have TWO petrol cars? WHY?"

I have never driven a diesel car for any significant period of time: hell even the Innova in our family is a petrol one! My BIL thought it'd be a good idea, somehow.

I've driven a TJet so, yeah- I know what you're talking about! But following one's heart can only take you this far. Can you imagine thsi continuing and we end up in a situation where I pay 100/- while you with your 3 diesel babies pay something like half that?

Incidentally, for those wondering why selfdrive and I ended up with 2 petrol cars, it was not purely out of choice: he needed a couple of hatchbacks, one large and one small and duly got them (neither is available in petrol avatar). My case, I needed a used car FAST and got the first Swift I fell in love with and then wanted an AT so had to go with the Vento (not available in diesel). ARGH!
We have 3 petrol cars, and that too, by default!

Petrol was always the choice for us. We've never thought of a diesel car. And my Santro might be replaced some time soon, and surprise, surprise, the new car WILL be a petrol!

I've driven a fare share of diesel cars in the past. The most recent one happened to be a Ritz. The boost one gets from the turbo after 2k or so RPM, is quite addictive. But after that, it's just boost boost boost. There is no 'increase' in power as such. I like my cars to deliver more power as I drive faster and as the RPM increases. The gradual surge is fantastic in petrol cars as you build the revs. I like my petrol cars, and most of all, I like them naturally aspirated. (high-strung)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th September 2011 at 21:17.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:41   #57
dot
Senior - BHPian

Selling off an existing petrol car to buy a diesel to save a few rupees does not make any financial sense. The incurred losses in capital does not justify the gains of running costs unless someone is running a taxi service.

On a related note, I consume about 80-100L of petrol every month. That means when petrol has gone from 50 to 72, my monthly fuel bill has increased by 2200 at max. Come on, here we are talking about Caska units of Rs55k, Stanley leather of 50k, Alloys of Rs 25k, where does Rs2200 come in? I am confused, someone help me.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 23:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Come on, here we are talking about Caska units of Rs55k, Stanley leather of 50k, Alloys of Rs 25k, where does Rs2200 come in? I am confused, someone help me.
I completely agree with you. We spend so much in malls, ccds and hangouts; petrol in general is not a big deal.

But for some people (lower middle class) the hike is huge and will hurt.

One of my friend who is well established and earning 50K per month could not handle the fuel rise and converted his brand new Swift to CNG. When he told me about this I was almost doing this.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 23:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Selling off an existing petrol car to buy a diesel to save a few rupees does not make any financial sense. The incurred losses in capital does not justify the gains of running costs unless someone is running a taxi service.

On a related note, I consume about 80-100L of petrol every month. That means when petrol has gone from 50 to 72, my monthly fuel bill has increased by 2200 at max. Come on, here we are talking about Caska units of Rs55k, Stanley leather of 50k, Alloys of Rs 25k, where does Rs2200 come in? I am confused, someone help me.
+1, I'd never sell my car for the sake of fuel costs. I'd sell it if the itch for change becomes unbearable or when a car that appeals to me comes along. Fuel is too mundane a reason for changing a car.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 23:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you meant neither is available in diesel avatar
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote