Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th September 2011, 21:29   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Unhappy Trivandrum is stinking!

For the past week or so I've been feeling this odd fishy stink whenever I get out of my home or office. For some odd reason, I thought it could be just a feeling. Last day when I walked out of my office, even my colleagues mentioned about this and told they've been experiencing this for the past few days. That got me wondering and did a bit of digging up, and found some articles on this. Most of them explains it as a natural phenomenon which occurs every now and then.

But what gets me wondering are,
  • Governments across the world are notorious for keeping the aam janta in darkness when it comes to such sensitive issues
  • If this is a common phenomenon, why we haven't experienced it before?
  • How long is it gonna last?
  • Is there any health hazards, cos they themselves state that it is the smell of decaying microbes out in the sea and that in no manner sounds healthy
Hindu article on the topic:
Quote:
A preliminary scientific investigation into the foul smell emanating from the sea off the Kollam coast on Monday has attributed the phenomenon to the bacterial decay of a possible algal bloom earlier.In a report submitted to the Kollam District Collector P.G. Thomas, the survey team from the Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala, recommended careful monitoring of the coastal waters to identify the presence of harmful algal blooms that produce toxins.
An algal bloom is the term used to refer to a rapid increase in the population of microscopic algae of the phytoplankton species. Some blooms result in discoloration of the water and are known as Red Tide.
On Tuesday, the team, including Head of Department A. Bijukumar and investigator K. Padmakumar, visited the Eravipuram coast where residents complained about foul smell from the sea.
They examined various parameters such as the colour of the sea, salinity, temperature, pH, nutrients, plankton and microbes and fish mortality.
No colour change
The report said the team had not seen the colour change in the sea that usually accompanies algal bloom along the Kerala coast after the monsoon. The salinity, temperature and pH of sea water samples were found to be normal.
The nutrient content was also within the optimum range and no fish mortality was observed.
The plankton sample did not show the presence of a harmful algal bloom. Samples collected from the study area subsequently are being analysed.
The report said the bacterial decay of an algal bloom that occurred earlier could produce a gas called dimethyl sulfide (DMS), in places where dead plankton and seaweed were decomposed. Massive plankton death may be caused owing to various factors, including anoxic conditions during night hours (when these plants give out carbon dioxide), changes in water quality, or pollution. Upwelling, formation of mud banks, nutrient discharges from estuaries, and run-off from the land during the southwest monsoon are factors that are known to cause algal bloom.
The report said there was no reason to panic over the foul smell experienced by residents in Eravipuram. It recommended a thorough monitoring of the coastal waters to keep a tab on harmful algal blooms.
Meanwhile, residents in some parts of the capital city reported about a foul smell emanating from the sea on Wednesday. Fishermen, however, said there was nothing abnormal about the phenomenon.
T. Peter, president, Kerala Swathantra Matsya Thozhilali Federation (KSMTF), said the smell emanating from the sea was normal this time of the year. “We believe it is triggered by climatic changes,” he said.
Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Trivandrum is stinking!

Funny, i am in trivandrum for the past two weeks and i didnt feel anything. Any specific are that you found to be affected?

Last edited by manson : 19th September 2011 at 15:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Funny, i am in trivandrum for the past two weeks and i didnt feel anything. Any specific are that you found to be affected?
Thats probably because you just came from chennai . it has subsided a bit since yesterday. Its because of the algal growth in the sea, my house is just 3 kms from the sea

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
it has subsided a bit since yesterday. Its because of the algal growth in the sea, my house is just 3 kms from the sea

Pramod
No way! I felt it very acutely even this morning when I stepped out of my office after night shift. Maybe cos Techno is situated very close to the sea.
Old 16th September 2011, 22:03   #5
BHPian

My office is on the thumba coast line (you might have guessed by now where I am working). I did not feel anything odd. Has it skipped that part of TVM?
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 01:16   #6
BHPian

@srikanthns : may be it got blocked at THOSE huge walls and tight security. hehe
@scorcher : when did you experience this ? at night or day.
jithudigitised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 12:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
@scorcher : when did you experience this ? at night or day.
Mostly morning 7ish. But on some occasions even 11pm in the night.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:21   #8
BHPian

@Scorcher... I have been at Tvm for the past 2 weeks. My wifey was also telling me the other day that something is stinking. But I din't feel anything and just left it thinking that she is too sensitive to smell. Now that I saw this thread, I feel that she was right. hmmm... Wonder what it is !
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 12:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thats probably because you just came from chennai .
lol! Yeah!

My house is not near the coast. So, may be thats why nothing observed here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Mostly morning 7ish. But on some occasions even 11pm in the night.
The same stink is observed in our backwaters too sometimes after monsoons. They blame it on the fungal decay, and is a natural occurance.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 13:35   #10
UKR
BHPian

Smile Re: Trivandrum is stinking!

Yeah I have also noticed the same. One gets a feeling of standing near the beach. But I thought it was not as intolerable as is being sounded by the title! I would suggest changing the title of the thread to something more gentle as the current one would easily give a bad impression about our beautiful city as in lack of proper waste disposal, sanitation, cleanliness etc. At least we trivandrumites should take care to see that our city doesn't get bad publicity especially in situations like this where doesn't deserve any. Kindly do not take any offense.
UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 20:15   #11
BHPian

Ah! I am lucky that I did not feel the difference.

The Trivandrum Corporation vehicles park opposite my house to load the freshly collected garbage - a 4 hour routine which leaves all our nasal sensory nerves saturated.

Seems like God has joined in making it God's own Garbage Dump, with Mother nature contributing algae to supplement our own rubbish.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 21:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Whew!!! I was bracing for a rant against the stink from the corridors of power.

It is a relief to know that it is a natural phenomena. Anyway, AFAIK, no such "phenomenon" has been reported in literature older than 30 years. Definitely, "post monsoon" changes in the sea off KL does not produce any stink.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 11:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Whew!!! I was bracing for a rant against the stink from the corridors of power.
On a lighter note, the natural phenomenon does not affect the corridors of power. They are too busy with the multiple stink within the political community. No wonder they all wear their lily white.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote