Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Vasthu ?
Vasthu is a real science. The position of my bedroom/ kitchen affects my life. 23 18.85%
Vasthu is BS. We should stop these so called experts exploiting gullible people. 61 50.00%
Vasthu is part science, part fiction. 38 31.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2012, 14:50   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Do you believe in Vaastu ?

I paid an extra Rs 50 per sq ft on my new home because the door opens in the Eastern direction.

This was the only unit we liked and hence had to pay for this stupid thing.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 14:57   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
It is a superstition, just like Astrology and instead of accepting it as science, we should start fighting it.
More than superstition, it is a marketing scam. Simple superstitions (like a black cat crossing the road) don't make you pay lakhs of rupees to consultants and priests to fix it.

The Vaastu phenomena was turned into a marketing scam in the 90s, and it is still going strong. Similarly, the Akshaya Tritiya was the marketing scam of the 00s (last decade), still going very strong. I am already worrying about the marketing scam of the 10s (this decade). Wonder what will it be?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 15:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Vaastu phenomena was turned into a marketing scam in the 90s, and it is still going strong. Similarly, the Akshaya Tritiya was the marketing scam of the 00s (last decade), still going very strong. I am already worrying about the marketing scam of the 10s (this decade). Wonder what will it be?
The common link between all these is the value of the market. Indians spend the most on 1)Home, 2)Jewels and next in line is 3)cars.

Last edited by Daewood : 27th June 2012 at 15:27.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 15:30   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The common link between all these is the value of the market. Indians spend the most on 1)Home, 2)Gold and the next in line is 3)cars.
Can't be cars. It has to be some mysterious gobbledygook that can be linked back to ancient scriptures. Hell, we can just wait & watch.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 15:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The common link between all these is the value of the market. Indians spend the most on 1)Home, 2)Jewels and next in line is 3)cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Can't be cars. It has to be some mysterious gobbledygook that can be linked back to ancient scriptures. Hell, we can just wait & watch.
Next is food. They might start marketing a specific food to be eaten at specific places to rid yourself of all the modern diseases. Lol
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 15:40   #51

Vaastu is nonsense. The old scriptures have been written in such a generic manner that any kind of interpretations are possible. And some intelligent people are making a fool of gullible idiots and making quite a lot of money.
confortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 10:16   #52
BHPian

Astrologers in modern time are taking advantage of fear factor of common man, all TV channels air astrology programs very early in the morning to spoil the mind of people and they don't spare people even on weekends.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:24   #53
BHPian

Architecture is an ancient science which is developing everyday, but wait that does'nt mean that the pyramids or the taj have done it badly, infact we have based ourselves on those principles of geometery, proportion, symmetry & we continue to perfect them everyday.

Much of vastu I beleive is realted to faith, We simply cant change that.
Example : I believe that my GOD is the Sole responsible for my well being.Period

but, for that reason I dont put myself in every possible danger & expect everything to be superb.
Hence its the raj of Vastu consultants who fullfill their whims & fantasies on their clients money.
I am an Interior Architect my self, we dont scarifice the arch rules just for the sake of vastu, What is logical, sound has a meaning,is all welcome, rest all is B.S
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:43   #54
Team-BHP Support

I never buy any property keeping "vaastu" in mind. But there are some things that I keep in mind:
- Cross ventilation: very important to keep the flat cool and fresh
- Good natural lighting, especially in the kitchen. I hate kitchen windows that open into bathroom shafts for example. You should be able to cook without having to light the place up like Christmas even in the daytime.
- Unhindered view: no neighbours peeking in or vice versa!
- Proper right-angled walls, none of those triangular or curved walls that are unaesthetic and probably structurally unsound as well.
- Homes that have clearly defined public and private areas. Public: lobby, living & dining room/kitchen, common bathroom; private: bedrooms and attached bathrooms.
- Balconies/ small terrace for smoking (I can't stand smoke in the house)

I asked my architect friend recently: is this vaastu? She says, probably when vaastu started off, i was based on sound principles like these that got distorted and mixed with all sort of religious and symbolic mumbo-jumbo over time and has become what it is now. The example quoted earlier in the thread about a beautiful house with a garden that is blocked off and a redesignated main door opening into a slum area is typical of this.

My friend (also a T-BHPian) lives in a rented home where the owner has blocked access to one of the bathrooms since his vaastu consultant says there should be no water flow in that direction. How someone who is educated and can afford a nice house can believe something like that can have a lasting impact on his life and fortunes is beyond me.

It worries me that as we Indian get more and more propserous, we also get more regressive. Changing the spelling of your name to something numerologically suitable for example is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Hope we never become teaaam--bbHp.cOm
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 12:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Can vastu be applied for cars?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 13:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not believe in Vaastu, but the catch is if someone points out something wrong then it gnaws on my mind. I tell my Vaatu aficionados not to comment if they find something wrong.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:20   #57
BHPian

Dear SG, that 'wrong' is relative and subjective. It is that person's opinion, you don't have to subscribe to it. Just apply your rational mind to it.

Cheers.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:25   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Can vastu be applied for cars?
I don't know about cars. But you can apply it your website.
Web Vastu - Web Vaastu Consultants, Webvastu, Vastu Website Designing, Webvaastu in India
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:44   #59
BHPian

Tell me one thing, you had a stomach ache and went to a doctor. He gave you all sorts of medicines, but after three months of taking medicines nothing works, your stomach ache still persists... so is all medicine wrong and all doctors quacks??? And that there is no science to it?

Certain parts of our Vedas have the power to cure a person by just reciting mantras. The catch is that the pronunciation has to be precise. One of our so called mythological stories ( more so becaus now they have found a stucture connecting rameshwaram to Lanka, but still we call it mythological) kumbhakarna was awarded the power to sleep when he mispronounced Indra asan as nidra asan...

Let us not rubbish all this. There is now a new theory being propounded that there is indeed a dark matter (a more subtle form of aura) that surrounds the earth which also houses life in a different dimension.

Coming to vastu, It depends on who consulted, how good he was and his limitations. There is so much knowledge that we have lost during the times that we were ruled by various foreign rules that the complete knowledge is hardly to be found. TodAy we have become so gullible that anyone takes us for a ride. Best living examples are the babas and yogis of today.

Even vastu has cures for its ill effects.

We need to be discerning On whom we listen to. I will sign off with that.

By the way, nor do I practice vastu nor do I advocate it's use. TO EACH ONE HIS OWN.
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Do you believe in Vaastu ?

During my recent search for house, I had made it very clear to wifey that Vaastu should not be the deciding factor for finalizing the house. Funnily enough most of the flats we saw were shown to use by the agents as Vaastu compliant houses. My first question to the agent used to be list all the Vaastu compliances, unfortunately the agent could not do so.

As Noopster rightly pointed out to all the actual criteria for choosing the house rather than depend on Vaastu as far as flats in high rise are concerned. For independant houses, it may be given a thought as long as it does not hinder the practicality.

I was told that as per Vaastu the area where the building needs to be constructed has to be applied with Cow dung and sprayed with Gomutra (Cow urine) to cleanse the area first. How many builders would do that??
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote