Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd March 2006, 12:46   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Toyota innova - safe MuV

Pick up March 2006 Overdrive and you will see references to their crashed innova.
In the long termers, the detailes are mentioned.
Cruising at 120kmph on a 4 lane highway near Ah'bad at night the editor sees that the road ends and a huge roundabout starts. He sits on the brakes. The car hits the 1 foot island, jumps up hits a stone barrier and and comes to rest in the middle with sand and dust flying.
Damage - suspension, bent alloys, bent underpinnings, propellorshaft. however the engine is unscathed with the underbody taking the impact. Since there was no impact on the body, airbags did not deploy. All occupants unscathed. The editor who was driving has compressed vertibre due to force of the impact being transmitted through the brake pedal through his leg. Infact the drivers seat got almost dislodged from the rails due to the hard impact.
Otherwise no injuries of bruises to anyone. No glass broke, infact looking at the body its hard to think there was an accident at all.
The good part is inspite of the high jump the car did not overturn or loose composure.

This roundabout is about 23kms from Ahmedabad while coming from delhi, and has claimed 17 crahes including the innova within 20 days of its construction. Inspite of the police station nearby telling NHAI again and again that 1 accident a day occurs at night due to this roundabout, their only response was "Detain those who hit for causing damage to public property".

this is the reality of our golden Quardilaterals. So next time you venture out to your favorite expressway at night, pushing your darling to three digit speeds, remember somewhere, somehow, our dear govt has a population control measure lurking.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 15:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

on the nh4 GQ between katraj and khambatki ...i almost crashed as there was this diversion without any warning ....was doing abt 140 with my parents fast asleep at abt 6 am ...was able to spot the diversion as i just happend to use high beam ....could see a lot of tire marks at that spot and laso broken glass...

and yeah watever happnd to th OD team was unfortunate ...

Last edited by speedsatya : 3rd March 2006 at 15:36.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 15:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
This roundabout is about 23kms from Ahmedabad while coming from delhi, and has claimed 17 crahes including the innova within 20 days of its construction. Inspite of the police station nearby telling NHAI again and again that 1 accident a day occurs at night due to this roundabout, their only response was "Detain those who hit for causing damage to public property".
Man, this is scary! But what is it with the roundabout, is it that its not visible from a distance or what? I mean 17 crashes in 20 days?!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes road design IS often not well thought out - and the last 2% makes all the diff.
However, at night, isn't it always sensible to keep ur braking distance within the beam spread ? These were fixed obstacles - there could be 'accidental' ones too - something fallen off a truck or a tree or a stalled vehicle or dead animal. 140 sounds a little over the speed that'd allow for safe braking for such a surprise - though of course i'm being presumptuous since i hardly know the stopping distance/time for your vehicle.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 15:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

I have had a similar experience, the only reason I did not end up eating coconuts was my underpowered indica which ensured I was doing around 90kmph only instead of 110-120 that dream stretch desired!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buckle...s-shudder.html
Old 3rd March 2006, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
140 sounds a little over the speed that'd allow for safe braking for such a surprise - though of course i'm being presumptuous since i hardly know the stopping distance/time for your vehicle.
it was around 6am ...so you cannot call it as night ...

another example of bad design is teh bridge on teh expressway near pune ...that curve now has tires placed throughout the turn ...
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Bad designs are not just common in India.
In dallas my fried was doing 60mph(within limit). The road was gently rising. No, warnings signboards etc., At the crest he saw a red light barely 150 meteres ahead, with a long line of traffic stopped there. He sat on the brakes and managed to stop just in time. If the line of traffic had been any longer he would have ploughed into someone.
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
it was around 6am ...so you cannot call it as night ...
From my experience dusk and dawn are the most dangerous times on the road (and the prettiest too). Shadows play all kinds of tricks - and on undivided dual carriageways - aka good ol pre-expressway highways - you often cannot make out whether that truck/bus in the distance is coming/going - they all have their lights switched off!!! There should be a law requiring DRLs.
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Bad designs are not just common in India.
In dallas my fried was doing 60mph(within limit). The road was gently rising. No, warnings signboards etc., At the crest he saw a red light barely 150 meteres ahead, with a long line of traffic stopped there. He sat on the brakes and managed to stop just in time. If the line of traffic had been any longer he would have ploughed into someone.
but thats a common one - and you cannot always design around natural obstacles - a little is left to good driving habits. You cannot see beyond a crest, or a sharp curve, or a cluster of shops etc etc - so u slow down enough to be able to stop within your field of vision if something crops up. Your friend probably did and so managed to slow down in time. Another car etc would have appeared in his field of vision earlier, possibly.
Old 3rd March 2006, 19:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Basically I agree whole heartedly to what Tsk said... drive within your vision range. It is another offshoot of my signature... Indian roads are such that predicting what is going to happen next on the road can be a fulltime occupation. If the roads are not bad then some human stupidity will cause you a problem.

One regular bimari with people I see is that they overtake a vehicle ahead the moment they feel like without batting an eyelid. In the process they jump onto the opposite lane, the traffic coming from the opposite end be damned or doomed! The regular panacea is to first get yourself commited to such a stupid situation and then if you see vehicles coming towards you just flash your headlights. I mean how stupid can you get? Why should it be the opposite vehicles responsibility to take evasive action? But then that is the way things are... It is better to factor in all these when you are on the road. I for one try to keep all these in mind.

No wonder at times in busy intersections my wife complains that I drive like a zombie without talking or even listening to what she is saying
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 22:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i almost crashed as there was this diversion without any warning
Thats the sad reality in India isnt it? I have always been amazed at the ignorance of our qualified officers in the government. Road design, traffic management, infrastructure is a sceince and the way it's handled in India makes me . Is it so difficult for our babus to get something as basic as proper road signs warning drivers of impending change in condition of roads? Doesn't matter if you have passed your IAS or IIM if your lethargic or originally dumb I guess. Driving around here for the last few months, I can vouch for the huge difference simple road signs make towards the comfort of drivers.

Quote:
their only response was "Detain those who hit for causing damage to public property".
How can they say something like that? How callous can the government get?

Last edited by amit : 3rd March 2006 at 22:47.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 13:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

so to be really safe u have only 2 options -

1.avoid driving in teh nite
or
2. use high beam in the nights
Old 6th March 2006, 14:54   #13
BHPian

Am taking the discussion back to the subject - Innova..

Last week in Calcutta, I was getting dropped to the airport from Salt Lake in an Innova. On an open stretch of road the driver was doing 80+ kmph.. suddenly 2 dogs run out onto the road. the first one crosses safely, but the 2nd one is hit by the Innova which has NOT slowed down, I am watching from the rear seat. Impact is on the front left bumper. I think the dog is gone, but when I turn and see, the dog has gotten up and run away.. All's well..
Some distance from there, the driver takes sharp right turn and there is a huge grinding noise fron the left front wheel.. Ask him not to stop as I am late for the flight. Noise repeats whenever there is right turn. Finally get down at airport and go to the front of the car. Am SHOCKED to see the bumper completely wrecked and hanging loose. Also looked like part of the bumper bent in and hit some suspension component causing the noise. The driver is shi**ing bricks by now and pleads with me to call his malik and explain its not his fault (which of course, it is. he didnt slow down)..

Point is - an impact from which the dog walked away, caused atleast 30K worth of damage to Innova!!! Go figure..
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 15:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Point is - an impact from which the dog walked away, caused atleast 30K worth of damage to Innova!!! Go figure..
Thats pedestrian safety standards for you. The car takes the hit so that the dawg walks.....
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2006, 17:25   #15
BHPian

Talking Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Thats pedestrian safety standards for you. The car takes the hit so that the dawg walks.....
Menekha Gandhi will be happy
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote