Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th November 2011, 14:28   #1
BHPian

Default Bundle of Joy -> Tryst with Bureaucracy :Indian Visa British baby born in Pune/India

Moderators:
Greetings, Please feel free to move this thread to appropriate forum.

Fellow BHPians,
First let me share a good news with all of you, recently we were blessed a baby daughter, extremely delighted on her arrival and did not even notice how the 3 months passed by. I must admit that it was not the easiest of the times, as she made her presence felt through erratic sleep, late night screams, n number of nappy changes and all other antiques BUT it is all worth it. You just have to look at her/hold her tiny hands/touch her and it makes you forget everything else, such innocence, such sweetness, I wonder if there is anything else that gives you such pure joy and happiness. It also makes you appreciate the wonders of nature. I am a Scorpio owner and always marvel at new XUV and how M&M spent 5 years in developing this new vehicle. Then I look at my baby and am dumbfounded, just a thought that the baby I see developed from a single tiny cell, all it’s complicated mechanism, senses ability to learn and respond and everything, such an amazing creation of nature/god (whatever you may worship). It is just amazing, you can not capture the feeling in words, let alone put in writing, mind you this is our second child, first is 6 yr old, had the same feeling when he was born and am happy to get a chance to re-live those moments.
Incidentally this bundle of pure joy and innocence also made me realize the harsh realities of bureaucracy.

Back to reality…

We are British Citizens, acquired British passport 5 years ago. The baby was born in Pune and still is here. We plan to be here for a 6/9 motnhs at least and then go back to Europe. So, we need to get her Brit passport/Indian Visa/Exit Permit/OCI. Consolidated list below:
- British passport, applied and waiting for feedback, may need a trip to Delhi for interview if all documents are in order. Fingers crossed.
- Apply for Indian Visa, second trip to Delhi is must
- Visit local FRRO (Pune) for getting the British passport stamped with visa – not sure how many trips and under the table transactions would be required
- Apply for OCI or Apply for exit permit when we plan to leave India

So this post is to find out if there are fellow BHPians out there who have gone through this painful, lengthy process? If yes, what were you experiences ? what advice would you offer ? If anyone from PUNE has gone through this hassle ?
Please share you experiences and any other useful contacts, would appreciate it very much.

I would update this thread from time to time so that others may find it useful.

The expedition has just began. watch this space for more action :-)

Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far here are the useful links so far:
1. X visa details http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQ-onX-VISA210510.pdf
2. Visa Appointment scheduling system http://passport.gov.in/vfc/home_new.html
3. Application form for Visa Related Services (Visa Extension/Conversion/Regularisation of overstyal/Permission
to exit/Endorsement in new passport/Permission to change port of exit/mode of travel/visit additional places) Form (in word format) Form (in pdf format, Use Adobe Acrobat Reader)
http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/new_applicaton_form_visa.pdf
4. About Child Born to a Registred Forigner in India
http://india.gov.in/overseas/passport/faq_visa.php#q16
5. FAQ regarding Children
http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/Faq_Children2.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 11th November 2011 at 14:36.
ScorpWarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 15:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bundle of Joy -> Tryst with Bureaucracy :Indian Visa British baby born in Pune/In

Welcome to the babudom. Remember it is the Brits who gave it to us.

Reverse story - a friends son and daughter-in-law had a baby in Scotland. They ended up having to come of India, get an Indian Passport for her and then a UK Visa. So life is equally bad everywhere.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 18:04   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Bundle of Joy -> Tryst with Bureaucracy :Indian Visa British baby born in Pune/In

Congratulations.
I am also a brit in Pune.
I have recently applied for renewal of passports here in India.
I followed the Instructions on these official sites:
UK in India
How to apply from India

Read and re-read the instructions carefully to make sure that processing is done smoothly.
(I hope you got a Birth Certificate without any problems? Take and get multiple original copies as you will need to send originals to many departments).
I would say, first step get a British Passport and then apply for the OCI once you have the passport in hand.
If you are called for an interview, ask if you can attend the visa processing centre in Kalyani Nagar, Pune to avoid the trip to Delhi with the baby?
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 18:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

It is not that bad. I am also a UK citizen and went through all this 12 years ago.

You first need to register the birth at the UK high commission

Send a mail to mailto:conqry.newdelhi@fco.gov.uk and they will detail on what is required.

Simultaneously, enquire with the FRRO on what is required about notifying them. They most probably will tell you to get a passport and come back.

Go through the birth registration formality and then apply for a UK passport.

You should complete this in 2 months

Apply to the FRRO with passport for the OCI card. (one day with a lot of triplicate work). Once submitted, wait for around 1 months. You will get police visiting you. Thats the dirty part. Once that is complete, the OCI card comes in a month.

Once you submit the papers, you can trace application on line.

The FRRO is run by central government is bureaucractic but fairly "Anna Hazare" compliant. If run by local police, expect the usual service charges.

In my case, the OCI/PIO had not been introduced. My daughter got her RP after a year (needed to go to Delh for clearance), ditto PIO card. Ever since FRRO centralised everything, things improved. If you need to leave before al these, the FRRO will exit an exit visa if I am correct once you get the passport in place

Last edited by ajmat : 11th November 2011 at 18:48.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 23:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am in this field, so can probably give some tips!

In pune, its not the FRRO but FRO as it is comparitively smaller with limited powers. I can understand the difficulties in getting the necessary formalities done and hence can suggest a few steps:

1. If you want to avoid all the hassles, hire a relocation company. Companies like Crown Relocations, Santa Fe, Global Adjustments, writers are all in thise business and can help you. I know a few people from crown and would recommend them.

2. If you want to do it on your own, be prepared for a long wait at the FRO. Also, some or other document would always be missing from your file or would be incomplete. Although they may be wearing a different uniform, all of them belong to the Police forces (with better english speaking ability).

OCI though can be applied but they would first ask you to get the Visa, and then the OCI would take a couple of "months" fill the forms online, print, submit at the FRO, file gets forwarded to the FRRO, Mumbai and then from there to the MHA...!

Let me know if you need any help!

Thanks!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 23:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

ScorpWarp first of all congrats on becoming a father of a lovely baby girl. Welcome to the club!

If I may, I think you are approaching it with a very negative outlook. At least that's what the title ("Tryst with bureaucracy...") led me to believe. All the best, am sure everything will be fine.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 01:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Welcome to the babudom. Remember it is the Brits who gave it to us.
'Babudom' liked the phrase sir :-). IMO although brits gaves 'us' lots of legacy we have had over 60 years to change/cleanup that, more than enoough time I would say. Anyway, I think this FRO/Exit Visa/OCI procedures are surely recent, can't understand why visist 3 offices for 1 unit of work. And foreigners from non metros have to go all the way to delhi for this, even if they might be a few KMs away from a Mumbai or other metro ? And no option of processing through post ? BTW one person did advice me to get the Brit PP here (relatively straightforwrd), get an exit permit , fly to UK to get the OCI done :-) he said it would be quicker. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Congratulations.
I am also a brit in Pune.
I have recently applied for renewal of passports here in India.
(I hope you got a Birth Certificate without any problems? Take and get multiple original copies as you will need to send originals to many departments).
I would say, first step get a British Passport and then apply for the OCI once you have the passport in hand.
If you are called for an interview, ask if you can attend the visa processing centre in Kalyani Nagar, Pune to avoid the trip to Delhi with the baby?
Thanks Raja, good to hear from another brit in Pune, feels like hearing from someone back 'home'. PP renewal should be straightforward, couple of friends have done it 3 months ago, as long as photos are correct there is no hassle.
My daughters birth cert. is local (PMC). Did not register with Brit consulate but that would not be an issue for getting her Brit passport. Before applying for OCI I would have to get a valid Indian visa on her passport. That's a pre-requirment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is not that bad. I am also a UK citizen and went through all this 12 years ago.

Go through the birth registration formality and then apply for a UK passport.

You should complete this in 2 months

Apply to the FRRO with passport for the OCI card. (one day with a lot of triplicate work).

The FRRO is run by central government is bureaucractic but fairly "Anna Hazare" compliant. If run by local police, expect the usual service charges.
Thanks Ajmat, Good one on the 'anna hazare compliant'. Yes, you are right, every form has to be in 'triplicate' for some reason !! Anyway, I am still waiting for Brit passport. Then Visa is must for any further processiong such as OCI or exit permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I am in this field, so can probably give some tips!

I know a few people from crown and would recommend them.

2. If you want to do it on your own, be prepared for a long wait at the FRO. Also, some or other document would always be missing from your file or would be incomplete. Let me know if you need any help!

Thanks!
Thanks amtak, please share contact details I would PM you on this. As of now I have a few months in hand so may try my hand at it but agree with you that it may turn out to be very tedious. Not sure though to what extent the relocation agencies get involved, from what I read - they send their representative with you but you still have to be there. I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
ScorpWarp first of all congrats on becoming a father of a lovely baby girl. Welcome to the club!

If I may, I think you are approaching it with a very negative outlook.
Thanks very much noopster. Well, I am a pessimistic person and from what I read on various forums there is not much positive about this entire process so the negative tone about the Bureaucracy !
ScorpWarp is offline   Reply With Quote