Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 20th March 2012, 17:42   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
However, working on that ABCDE technique and managed to keep my inbox at 0 item almost all the time in past week. I will continue to work on items from categories view and no need to look at empty inbox. This item is difficult, most critical (need to set it right before another recession shows up ) but getting some confidence here and its really inspiring.
Great going on the non smoking part Ketan!

I quit around 10 years ago and had innumerable urges to have just one smoke, but remembered something a friend told me. The willpower to stay away from smoking is not only your own, but a common pool of fellow smokers like you who are abstaining from starting again. So as a community dont let them down. Sounds silly, but hey; as long as it works!

I like your email sorting idea. I have been using it in my own homegrown way for the last few years and it works for me for now. If you can find the time to build on your skillsets while at work, it will help you more during recession time too. Just a suggestion! In any case you will be taking less breaks now that you dont smoke

Got a piece of advice from a colleague recently. At work, focus only on one thing. Aaj shaam ko main time par kaise niklunga. (How will I leave on time this evening). Everything else has to be worked at with this objective. Works great for me

^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 20th March 2012 at 18:00.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 17:52   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
In any case you will be taking less breaks now that you dont smoke
Yup,

You're right. Managing time effectively makes a lot of difference. I started seeing 2-5% of it now and will continue to improve my perfection. I still go with the group when they go for smoke downstairs (less frequently though), that serves me as a quick break from keep starring at my screens for more than hour or so. But one good thing is, I now can say NO to them easily and I dont have to go everytime they go out for smoke (which was the routine and rule for me, I used to give company to everyone who is ready for smoke )
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 17:55   #183
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree, I missed coming here and posting the status.
However, I'm wondering do we do this everyday!!
Most of us update the thread once a week, on each Monday. May be you can stick to Mondays or choose any another day of the week.

Quote:
Its been 2 weeks 3 days since I quit smoking (pakka cold turkey this time). I saved myself from 151 ciggarettes so far. Saved Rs 756 so far from an app that I'm using on my WP7. There were only a couple cravings, momentorily that I dealt with during a drink session and another is while riding my bike in the first Bangalore rain this season. Overall its been great. On track so far.
Fantastic! As you already know, being strong in that one moment of weakness is the key.

Quote:
....At work, as I said its a different thing altogether. First I need to understand some challenges and work on it gradually. I have created a lot of mess already so it will take sometime to come back on top. However, working on that ABCDE technique and managed to keep my inbox at 0 item almost all the time in past week. I will continue to work on items from categories view and no need to look at empty inbox. This item is difficult, most critical (need to set it right before another recession shows up ) but getting some confidence here and its really inspiring.
Interesting. E-mails (or rather unread backlog) don't bother me much nowadays.

Last edited by SDP : 20th March 2012 at 17:57.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 19:51   #184
BHPian

Hi SDP,

Kudos and Thanks to you for having started this thread, I know this is coming in quite late!

I just couldn't believe the coincidence, this afternoon I used the exact same words"... need to do something to RECLAIM MY LIFE!" while pouring out my frustrations of work, life and not being happy irrespective of what life has to offer.

And here I was staring at those same words as though it was destined that I go through this thread today! A whole bunch of things happen together at the same time driving the same message across which is the case with me today coz even the book that I laid my hands on turned out to be "The Monk who sold his Ferrari". Don't know if I should call this some sort of a divine intervention or just pure coincidence.

SDP, Ajit, Ford, MileCruncher, Selfdrive... each one of you are inspiring me in one way or the other to start today rather than procastinating any further!

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne
si1ver0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 21:19   #185
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
Hi SDP,

Kudos and Thanks to you for having started this thread, I know this is coming in quite late!

I just couldn't believe the coincidence, this afternoon I used the exact same words"... need to do something to RECLAIM MY LIFE!" while pouring out my frustrations of work, life and not being happy irrespective of what life has to offer.

And here I was staring at those same words as though it was destined that I go through this thread today! A whole bunch of things happen together at the same time driving the same message across which is the case with me today coz even the book that I laid my hands on turned out to be "The Monk who sold his Ferrari". Don't know if I should call this some sort of a divine intervention or just pure coincidence.

SDP, Ajit, Ford, MileCruncher, Selfdrive... each one of you are inspiring me in one way or the other to start today rather than procastinating any further!

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne
Welcome to reclaiming, Si1ver0ne! As you have mentioned, there is no better day than today to start the journey! Wish you all the best. Would look forward to hearing from you on a weekly basis (Monday) about your journey.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:06   #186
BHPian

Hi SDP,
Thanks for poking me. Had been a nut last week. Apart from walking down the dog, no other form of exercise for me. Though had a reason that my wife was down with high fever for 4-5 days and we were scared about swine flu. Ruled out swine flu, malaria and dengue, E-Coli test results are due today, lets see. Though this has increased my driving to and fro hospital.
Still need to find time to buy a bicycle for me - most probably it will be Schwinn. Planning to start swimming as well, as weather induces that urge to hit the pool.
rahul_sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:23   #187
AVR
BHPian

Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, initiated a few things:
1) Got myself some gym shoes and trackpants
2) Checked out a few cycles - Man they are expensive now! Last one I bought was a BSA Streetcat back in 94-95 and it was 1700! Today most things are in the > 8K range. Will run for a few weeks and then see if I want to pick up a cycle!
3) Cut down on smoking. Every time I feel like having a smoke, I debate and 6/10 times I don't smoke. It's a start. Will get there.
4) Take the stairs up home. Helps to be on the 10th Floor!
5) To organize my time better, I plan a To-Do list for the day in my mind. Quite close to adhering to it.
6) I verbally commit to people around me about things that I have been sitting on. Helps expedite action.

Thanks again. Spelling it out in a public forum has a great benefit it getting things going personally.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:52   #188
Senior - BHPian

No updates from myside as I had fallen sick and was able to go to the gym only once in the last week :(

This weekend again i need to travel so its again going to uneven. But whatever days i get I am trying to attend, plus trying to walk in a lot of situations, like previously going to a nearby atm was by scooty but now i walk.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:16   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Lalvaz, Saanil,
Haven't heard from you at all in this calender year. How are you guys doing on the reclaiming
Hi SDP,

Really appreciate your efforts in maintaining this thread. I do not have any inspiring updates from my side. Of all the things I wanted to do – GYM is the only thing I have started and have been regular. Things have not been going well on the work front – I am spending almost all my time at the office and I am really beginning to think whether all this pressure work is worth it. I am trying these days to achieve the perfect work life balance. Since I am myself not sure what I want to do in life career wise, I am really not able to make a decision regarding my job – whether I should stick to it or should I look for other options. I think it’s the time in life when one has to make a tough choice and I am just not able to make that decision.

Apologies for the inactivity from my side but thanks for waking me up. Hope to contribute more to this thread!

Last edited by Saanil : 22nd March 2012 at 14:23.
Saanil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:01   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Its been 2 weeks 3 days since I quit smoking ...
Fantastic! may the weeks turn to decades...

--
I don't see the Thanks button any more on this thread!
I think I have thanked so many times on this thread that t-bhp has blocked it .

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 22nd March 2012 at 16:04.
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:08   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Fantastic! may the weeks turn to decades...

--
I don't see the Thanks button any more on this thread!
I think I have thanked so many times on this thread that t-bhp has blocked it .
Thanks. I'm hoping to turn into years and decades.
That is the feature of the 'Shifting Gears' section. No posts counts nor Thanks. Keep posting.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:13   #192
BHPian

Quote:
...No posts counts nor Thanks. Keep posting.

Posts count not chaining I noticed that recently.

However the "Thanks" button was working until a few days back, but has totally vanished for me on this thread.
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:16   #193
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Hi SDP,
Thanks for poking me. Had been a nut last week. Apart from walking down the dog, no other form of exercise for me. Though had a reason that my wife was down with high fever for 4-5 days and we were scared about swine flu. Ruled out swine flu, malaria and dengue, E-Coli test results are due today, lets see. Though this has increased my driving to and fro hospital.
That's ok Rahul. Take care of yourself and your near & dear ones. Hope she is already back home and recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Thanks for the reminder!

1) Got myself some gym shoes and trackpants
2) Checked out a few cycles - Man they are expensive now! Last one I bought was a BSA Streetcat back in 94-95 and it was 1700! Today most things are in the > 8K range. Will run for a few weeks and then see if I want to pick up a cycle!
3) Cut down on smoking. Every time I feel like having a smoke, I debate and 6/10 times I don't smoke. It's a start. Will get there.
4) Take the stairs up home. Helps to be on the 10th Floor!
5) To organize my time better, I plan a To-Do list for the day in my mind. Quite close to adhering to it.
6) I verbally commit to people around me about things that I have been sitting on. Helps expedite action.

Thanks again. Spelling it out in a public forum has a great benefit it getting things going personally.

Cheers,
Adi
Good start Adi! Keep on building on top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
No updates from myside as I had fallen sick and was able to go to the gym only once in the last week :(

This weekend again i need to travel so its again going to uneven. But whatever days i get I am trying to attend, plus trying to walk in a lot of situations, like previously going to a nearby atm was by scooty but now i walk.
Hope you get back the rhythm soon.
Walking instead of scootying sounds fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi SDP,

Really appreciate your efforts in maintaining this thread. I do not have any inspiring updates from my side. Of all the things I wanted to do – GYM is the only thing I have started and have been regular. Things have not been going well on the work front – I am spending almost all my time at the office and I am really beginning to think whether all this pressure work is worth it. I am trying these days to achieve the perfect work life balance. Since I am myself not sure what I want to do in life career wise, I am really not able to make a decision regarding my job – whether I should stick to it or should I look for other options. I think it’s the time in life when one has to make a tough choice and I am just not able to make that decision.

Apologies for the inactivity from my side but thanks for waking me up. Hope to contribute more to this thread!
Saanil, don't be too hard on yourself. Starting on the gym front and being regular at it, is no small feat. "What do I want to do in life?" (careerwise or otherwise) is a tough nut to crack. Its very difficult to plan a 30 year career at one shot. "What do I want to do and where do I want to be in next 3-5 years?" is more reasonable. I would recommend talk to seniors from work. Also discuss with as many people from family and friend circle. Hopefully you will find a seed for the answer in one of those interactions.
All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Posts count not chaining I noticed that recently.

However the "Thanks" button was working until a few days back, but has totally vanished for me on this thread.
Posts in Shifting-Gears not contributing to your post-count has been a policy right from the start. Removing the "Thanks" feature from all Shifting-Gears threads (to align with the thread-count policy) is a recent change and has been published in the announcements section on 16th Mar. On this thread, the Thanks button was a good way of acknowledging a post (indicating that one has read the post) as well as appreciating good effort and updates. I will miss the thanks button.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2012 at 18:24.
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:12   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Thanks for the reminder!

Pranab-da has introduced an excise duty on imported cycles in this year's budget! So if you are planning to buy an imported cycle, now is the best time to buy one before the duty takes effect.
-- Wind
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 10:01   #195
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Important but not urgent thing #4 -> Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)

Background: I still remember this from my childhood days. In late 70's, we stayed in a predominantly lower-middle-class area in central Mumbai. Somehow, our next-door neighbours were a successful Doctor couple who were doing financially well and could afford a lifestyle quite a few notches above the average families in the area. I mean, they had a car when there were less than 3 cars in the building of around 50 families. They had a Pomeranian dog, a colour TV, a dining table etc etc a lot of things that I used to fancy about in that age. AND they had a maid for all the cleaning and washing jobs.

My mom was a housewife and used to spend a lot of time in maintaining our house neat and clean. She was also taking care of studies for me and my 2 sisters. During the KG and primary school years, she used to even drop us to and pick up from school. Life was quite hectic and tough for her. But I had never seen her skip mopping the floor on any day. She used to get irritated to see dust in the house and things lying around (not in their designated place). When I was very young, I used to think - what's the big deal. When I grew older, 5-6th standard, I realized how time consuming and labour-intensive her work was. I remember me and my sisters asking our parents if we can have a maid just like the Doctor family next door. Initially I was under the impression that money (affordability of the maid) was the issue. Later I realized that money was not the only issue. My Mom used to mention it many times how our neighbour's house was not clean and how many-a-times there was a strong stench because of the dog and how their flooring had accumulated grime over a period of time despite the maid doing her work everyday. (Even after discounting for a possibility of a little bit of envy ,) I believe that there was lot of truth in my mom's observations. I have myself noticed foul smell multiple times, things lying around, cobwebs & dust in corners etc etc.

The maid obviously was working at multiple households and used to go through her work really fast. My mom used to scoff at the maid cleaning(?) all the dishes in 10-12 minutes flat and washing the clothes in another 15 minutes and doing the "zadoo-pochha" is next 15 minutes. Overall in 45 minutes or less, she used to be out of the house and ringing the doorbell of another household. The quality of the work was obviously suspect. May be this was the period in my life when I started understanding "attention to detail" and the "focus on quality".

The home being organized was another aspect. In our home, everything had its own place. We used to get a scolding if a thing was not returned to its designated place after its use. A side-effect of spending your early years in a really neat, clean & tidy home is that now I am typically quite upset to see my own home covered with dust & grime and things lying everywhere. As I mentioned, initially the belief was - I can get servants to do it for me.

After marriage, when we shifted to our own house, slowly and gradually realized the fallacy of getting quality work from servants and maids. Tried quite a few of them, the situation did not improve significantly. Slowly it dawned that "If you need your home neat-clean-tidy, you need to DO IT YOURSELF". But with work pressure and career aspirations, there was no time. So the place and everything we had was getting dirty and then me and my wife were "reacting" to get it back to the near ideal state of neat-clean-tidy. It was a race that we were never winning. At any point of time, there were just an overwhelming number of things that needed to be cleaned. Over a period of time, just the "overwhelming" feeling got to us and it made things only worse.

After a few years, we switched to a new home and adopted the minimalistic approach - get things only if and when you need them, no accumulating of junk with "we might need it later" thought. Then we were blessed with 2 kids and the 'things that we need' themselves went through the roof and the home started becoming messier than ever. Now we have a better understanding of what our parents were going through when we were young. With the new home being bigger, things only got worse. Our experiments with the maids continued, with no success. It eventually came to that I started spending marathon sessions on some weekends cleaning the house. 4-5 hours in a day, and I used to hate those days. Typically my back used to ache, skin on the palms used to get rough with all the cleaning stuff and overall the mood used to become bitter because of the lost opportunity of doing something better, enjoyable in that time. So eventually the frequency of the marathon cleaning sessions also reduced. The problem remained, frustration increased.

Introspection as part of 'reclaiming my life', identified this as a major area denting my happiness. Learned a little bit about 'clean as you go' approach. Understood the fallacy of the marathon sessions. Decided that I would spend 10 minutes every day to keep the home neat-clean-tidy. Started with the master bathroom about a month back. Spent around 5-10 minutes everyday before my bath. It seemed hopeless initially, but slowly over 8-10 days the bathroom regained a near-pristine state - a state where I was happy with the bathroom. After the initial 10 days, the effort switched from 'reactive' to 'proactive/preventive' and this is when the feeling of drudgery went away and I started looking forward to it. So the plan going forward it to invest minimum 10 minutes of personal effort daily for at least 5 days a week and spend an hour over the weekend in maintaining the home. For the master bathroom, I am sort of 'ahead of the curve' now. Hope I can reach that state for the complete house in next few weeks. Wish me luck!

As part of reclaiming, I would be reporting the status on this 4th Important but Not Urgent aspect of my life weekly on Monday.

Last edited by SDP : 25th March 2012 at 10:09.