Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 18:58   #361
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
SDP, I have been silently following this thread for some time now.
Reading your opening posts on this thread, I could not help but smile. I felt it is me who has written this, such are the similarities in most of our's lives.
Lots of people have said that they can relate to the situation. This seems like a universal problem! I had that doubt, that's why started the thread. Quite a few folks joined the journey and (except a few notable exceptions like Ajit) dropped off.

Quote:
Kudos to you for actually taken the plunge and maintained the flow for last 2 years or so.
Thanks! Comments like those keep me going.

Quote:
Regarding your physical fitness routine, now that you have been doing brisk walk and stairs climbing for fairly long time, may i suggest that you start adding weight training to your schedule.

Having met you personally in the Mumbai meet on 28th, i felt that you are in pretty good physical shape and you should now stretch the limit a bit and add more items to your workout regime.

How about discussing this further some day ..in Chillies
Sure, let's meet up! There are quite a few folks in Powai and I am actually thinking of setting up a recurring Powai mini-meet .. let's say "Every Friday, 6 PM, Hiranandani Powai"!

Good suggestion about adding weight training to my routine! About weight-training, I am a big fan of weight training. I have started so many times, I have lost count. Every time, it stops after a few months. I need to weave it in my schedule so that I get into the rhythm and eventually it becomes a habit. No good gym near my house. Driving to gym makes no sense. Not having a gym-partner is another problem. Most likely would join the one at work. Have my eyes on Gold's Gym in Powai as well. But would join that only if there is a committed gym-partner.

Last edited by SDP : 7th May 2013 at 18:59.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 23:01   #362
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 153
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sure, let's meet up! There are quite a few folks in Powai and I am actually thinking of setting up a recurring Powai mini-meet .. let's say "Every Friday, 6 PM, Hiranandani Powai"!

Every Friday looks a bit too optimistic ; nonetheless at least once in fortnight is definitely doable.

Quote:
Good suggestion about adding weight training to my routine! About weight-training, I am a big fan of weight training. I have started so many times, I have lost count. Every time, it stops after a few months. I need to weave it in my schedule so that I get into the rhythm and eventually it becomes a habit. No good gym near my house. Driving to gym makes no sense. Not having a gym-partner is another problem. Most likely would join the one at work. Have my eyes on Gold's Gym in Powai as well. But would join that only if there is a committed gym-partner.
I am lucky that I have a decent gym in my society, but due to a very young child, not able to maintain a regular schedule. But i still try and sneak in 3 - 4 days of work out in gym and couple of days in pool.
Gym partner is a definite plus to help maintain regularity.

Let me also start posting on this thread about my weekly progress. As you said, make it public to build peer pressure

Last edited by aah78 : 7th May 2013 at 23:16.
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 20:07   #363
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for a brisk-walk on 5 days during the week.
2. Walked up 10 floors 5 times this week.

#2 Reading
1. Completed "Lords of Strategy"

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. About 2 hours of core work.

#4 Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)
1. Hardly anything

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
...
Let me also start posting on this thread about my weekly progress. As you said, make it public to build peer pressure
Rohit, how was your week?

Ajit, how about you?

Last edited by SDP : 13th May 2013 at 20:08.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 22:10   #364
BHPian
 
ajitkumarlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Yesterday I kept myself away from the laptop so delayed update.

Rohit, I recently underwent a back surgery hence the focus on the back strengthening exercises, it would be a while before I can do any weight training.


I signed up for a physiotherapy sessions last week and the PT there has been a task master, but I can already see considerable improvement as compared to the week earlier.

1 hour of exercises at PT on 5 days
30 min of exercises at home on all 7 days


Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi Ajit

I hope you are doing these exercise under expert supervision, as back exercise if not done properly can cause more harm than benefit.

Also you should try and keep a mix of exercise as continuously working on a single body part does not make it strong in isolation.
Body has to be worked upon as a whole.

Various other exercises like running, weight training etc would also use back and abdomen and help strengthen them.

Just my 2 cents...
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 23:23   #365
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 153
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Thanks SDP for the gentle nudge.

Well last week, I did gym (cardio mainly) for 3 days and swimming on couple of days.
Have got a severe neck sprain since sunday, so a bad start to this week.
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 10:49   #366
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 153
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post

Rohit, I recently underwent a back surgery hence the focus on the back strengthening exercises, it would be a while before I can do any weight training.
Hi Ajit,

SDP told me about that. Wish you a speedy recovery and all the very best for your sessions ahead

May the Force be with you
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 06:56   #367
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for a brisk-walk on ONE day during the week. Early morning commitments on 4 days and a sprained leg later in the week.
2. Walked up 10 floors 3 times this week.

#2 Reading
1. Still on "Right ho, Jeeves"
2. Also "Universe in a nutshell"

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. About 1 hour of core work.

#4 Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)
1. About 2 hours of cleaning.

Bad week!
The sprained leg continues to pain even today. Current week also does not look too good.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 10:25   #368
BHPian
 
engrohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 153
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Well, I ended up with a bad bad neck sprain last Sunday which has kept me out of gym as well as pool throughout the week.

Hope to hit back with rigor by this Thursday.
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 16:44   #369
BHPian
 
ajitkumarlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

5 days - 1 hour of session with the PT
6 days - 1 hour session at home

Last Friday it almost seemed like I am back to normal a production issue and 14 hours strait at my desk at home. There was no pain at the end of it except for some stiffness in the back, so I see that as an improvement...

I am wondering I should consult some other PT, this guy is OK, but I don't get the confidence he has experience dealing with cases like mine, so may be as a second opinion, may be someone with sports background... did not find any in Bangalore via google search, anybody has any recommendations?



Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The sprained leg continues to pain even today. Current week also does not look too good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Well, I ended up with a bad bad neck sprain last Sunday
SDP & Rohit, Sad to hear that, don't stress the sprained area, need to be careful till it heals, especially if there is any ligament damage
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 19:22   #370
BHPian
 
ajitkumarlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

5 days/sessions with the PT
6 days/sessions at home

I spoke to my Orth, he just asked me to do a subset of the exercises and that's it...
However I am not having a good feeling about this and want to meet some professional, yet in the quest.

For those battling lower back pain, here are a few exerciser from Art Of Living
http://www.artofliving.org/in-en/yog...poses-for-back


And came across this Life Coach, interesting to see his profile and the similarities of many of us on this thread and even more interesting is the whole aspect of Life Coach.

http://about.me/satishrao
http://satishrao.in/

(no this is not a promotion)
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 19:25   #371
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

#1 Weight-Control
1. Did nothing. The sprained leg provided the excuse.

#2 Reading
1. Still on "Right ho, Jeeves"
2. Completed "Universe in a nutshell"

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. About 1 hour of core work.

#4 Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)
1. About 2 hours of cleaning.

Worse week.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 11:12   #372
BHPian
 
vikrantj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Here is my experience want to share with you ..

The biggest challenge people like me face is weight. It affects you less physically but more mentally. You get depressed when you really have to squeeze into your favorite jeans or trouser. Apart from that the relentless opinions and thoughts given free by people around you.

It was Jan 2013 a new year, and as with everybody I made a resolution lose weight. The target I set myself was 31st March (my birthday) to lose atleast 5 kgs and 5 inches. Seemed a mammoth task considering our lifestyles.

Started on a strict diet and light exercise. I have been to gyms before and I really abhor them. The instructors are hell bent on making a Arnold out of you. So started off with sit-up and the like. Walking for 45mins daily.

The diet was eating correctly after regular intervals.

The result on 31st March I lost 5 kgs and 3 inches. Feels really happy to step into those old trousers which were discarded. ....

Road ahead signed up in the Global Corporate Challenge , target is 15000 steps a day . Yesterday and today morning toally I walked exactly 8 kms ... 10000 steps are up... Need 5000 steps more till today evening for my target.
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 07:03   #373
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
....
And came across this Life Coach, interesting to see his profile and the similarities of many of us on this thread and even more interesting is the whole aspect of Life Coach.

http://about.me/satishrao
http://satishrao.in/
...
The Life-Coach concept is really interesting! Would read more. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Here is my experience want to share with you ..

The biggest challenge people like me face is weight. It affects you less physically but more mentally. You get depressed when you really have to squeeze into your favorite jeans or trouser. Apart from that the relentless opinions and thoughts given free by people around you.

It was Jan 2013 a new year, and as with everybody I made a resolution lose weight. The target I set myself was 31st March (my birthday) to lose atleast 5 kgs and 5 inches. Seemed a mammoth task considering our lifestyles.

Started on a strict diet and light exercise. I have been to gyms before and I really abhor them. The instructors are hell bent on making a Arnold out of you. So started off with sit-up and the like. Walking for 45mins daily.

The diet was eating correctly after regular intervals.

The result on 31st March I lost 5 kgs and 3 inches. Feels really happy to step into those old trousers which were discarded. ....

Road ahead signed up in the Global Corporate Challenge , target is 15000 steps a day . Yesterday and today morning toally I walked exactly 8 kms ... 10000 steps are up... Need 5000 steps more till today evening for my target.
Fantastic results vikrantj! Keep it up!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Update for last week:

#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for brisk-walk on 5 days. Limping back to normal.

#2 Reading
1. Completed "Right ho, Jeeves"
2. Started "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. About 3 hour of core work.

#4 Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)
1. Very little
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 21:55   #374
BHPian
 
ajitkumarlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Found a sports physiotherapist (Vesoma) right here in Bangalore and they have a superb facility. their web site is under construction, here is a quick look at their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vesom...036450?fref=ts

And just 3 session with the head physiotherapist and my back feels a lot lot better.

Last week:
2 days/sessions with the old PT
1 days/sessions with the new PT
4 days/sessions at home
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 20:10   #375
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

#1 Weight-Control

1. Went for walk on 3 days.
2. Went to the gym on 4 days. At least 30 minutes. Mostly cardio.

#2 Reading
1. Still on "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". Lovely book.

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. About 5 hour of core work.

#4 Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)
1. Couple of hours.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reclaiming the Life of my RX 135 invincible7 Motorbikes 9 6th October 2015 11:46
Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting sumannandy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 163 19th April 2015 07:54
One day in Pondicherry. How best to spend the time ? joecherian Route / Travel Queries 17 18th July 2010 18:40
Newbie reclaiming life! SHOOTER Introduce yourself 1 2nd March 2010 16:42
My Bull - TATA SAFARI Dicor 2.2 VTT Lx - Booked, Bought and Now Reclaiming my life! bglsrini Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 324 27th November 2009 16:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks