Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:50   #61
Newbie
 
DrRom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
That is one of the most cryptic one liner I have ever come across. Care to elaborate?
Dear SDP,

I impulsively typed out that message : "Whatever we did was all there was to have been done" and wondered whether I should have thrown that wet towel.

Being over 70, I got that 'Been there, Done that feeling.' Now that you challenge, I web- searched but couldn't come up with the source of it.

So I refer you to the Title of this thread: "Reclaiming my life - one day at a time" and therein lies the clue.

Now is all we have and even as we finish saying now, its successor becomes present. So shall we enjoy all the little things in life and let the Que sera sera, whatever will be will be.

Of course, we may, as Robert Frost said, "choose something like a star to stay our minds on and be staid."

In my own life I burn but have not burnt out.
DrRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 18:04   #62
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

1. Went for brisk-walk and jog on 6 days in last week.
2. Over last couple of weeks, I had started feeling sluggish and bloated again. Possibly all the sweets and fried stuff that I had during Diwali time has settled down in the body . The walking tempo had reduced a bit. Cranked it up all the way this week and have started sweating profusely after the walk/jog
3. Attended one hour meditation sessions at work on 2 days. The guy who teaches is associated with Art Of Living. I have done the beginner's course more than a decade back and like everything else, stopped doing it after a few weeks. After a brief discussion with the current teacher, planning to repeat the course or attend a local follow-up session on one of the Sundays.

Last edited by SDP : 5th December 2011 at 18:06.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 20:33   #63
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

1. Went for brisk-walk and jog on all 7 days in last week.
2. With the winter setting in, the body gets longer to warm up.
3. More side-effects of lower temperatures: Temptation to stay in bed and feeling hungry more often.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 14:57   #64
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

1. Went for brisk-walk on 6 days in last week.
2. Was not well for the first half week and still did not skip the daily walk. Happy with my will-power this time.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 16:57   #65
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Update for last week:

1. Went for brisk-walk on 6 days in last week.
2. The winter is setting in and the body gets a lot more time to warm up in the morning.

New initiatives have been on back-burner because of renovation work at home. Planning to start 2 from new year.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 21:47   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Update for last week:

1. Went for brisk-walk on 6 days in last week.
2. The winter is setting in and the body gets a lot more time to warm up in the morning.

New initiatives have been on back-burner because of renovation work at home. Planning to start 2 from new year.
two potential landmines for your good intentions.

1. Waiting for a specific day to start. Why?
2. Ending the first day you break it. Again, why?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 22:18   #67
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
two potential landmines for your good intentions.

1. Waiting for a specific day to start. Why?
2. Ending the first day you break it. Again, why?
Vivek, first upon all, thanks for caring!

Yes, there is no logical reason for starting on a specific day of the week, or the month or the year.

I wanted to start something on 1st Dec and got busy with something. The next day procrastination kicked in, another couple of days passed and then I said "Let's start from 2nd week".

Days turned into weeks and now I am staring at starting the same thing a month late. Procrastination at its worst.

I wanted to catch up a Art Of Living followup session that happens every Sunday. The same story - "I would do it next week".

Thanks for pointing out the landmine. I guess I have to just start and get it going. Thanks again.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 22:37   #68
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 358
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
two potential landmines for your good intentions
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Vivek, first upon all, thanks for caring!
New Year is coming guys. Since this thread is about reclaiming I think New Year resolutions should be a part of this. My New Year Resolutions :

1. Start jogging/running to have some sort of physical exercise apart from the finger exercise I do every day at office (read MS EXCEL)

2. Take up a hobby. I want to take up Photography. Actually I would like to know if there are any kinds of classes in Mumbai where I can enrol.

3. Make one big trip to any location. This year was a huge disappointment in terms of me keeping my commitments to my friends for making a trip. This new job of mine is just very demanding. Asking for Holidays is a big pain. You literally have to plan out everything in advance. Taking too many holidays is frowned upon here – If you do so you boss will not like it, you will not get a good review and hence not good bonus. Every time I plan for something some work or the other comes up. Now, I have stopped making any kind of commitments.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 17:22   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

@SDP and Saanil: As Vivek pointed out don't wait for a specific day to start. If you want to start something, start it now!

Also find a partner for your walking/jogging. It gives you the impetus to push yourself more. On Sunday, I was supposed to run 15K with my running club guys. I was 30 Mins late at start point courtesy waking up late. But another person was waiting at the start point for the sun to rise and seeing me decided to start with me. Even though my initial plan was for 15K, because of my running partner ended up doing 22.74Kms (my longest till date).

Hyderabad's become slightly cold and today morning was the same problem. Alarm rang at 5 but after serious cajoling to self, got up at 6:30. Was in no mood to run but persuaded myself and finally hit the road at 7AM. It all depends on how passionate are you towards an activity and how motivated are you. As of now you are walking/jog without any goals. Set goals like 15 Kms per week or need to lose atleast 1 Kg per week. Measure your weight everyday at the same time in the morning, keep an excel sheet. Lot of times, you will not eat extra remembering that the excel sheet will get spoilt. As regards to walking/jogging you can target an event like the Half Marathon in Auroville or Bangalore Sunfeast 10K. Start training and be regular. If you will yourself see a difference.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 07:42   #70
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@SDP and Saanil: As Vivek pointed out don't wait for a specific day to start. If you want to start something, start it now!

Also find a partner for your walking/jogging. It gives you the impetus to push yourself more. On Sunday, I was supposed to run 15K with my running club guys. I was 30 Mins late at start point courtesy waking up late. But another person was waiting at the start point for the sun to rise and seeing me decided to start with me. Even though my initial plan was for 15K, because of my running partner ended up doing 22.74Kms (my longest till date).

Hyderabad's become slightly cold and today morning was the same problem. Alarm rang at 5 but after serious cajoling to self, got up at 6:30. Was in no mood to run but persuaded myself and finally hit the road at 7AM. It all depends on how passionate are you towards an activity and how motivated are you. As of now you are walking/jog without any goals. Set goals like 15 Kms per week or need to lose atleast 1 Kg per week. Measure your weight everyday at the same time in the morning, keep an excel sheet. Lot of times, you will not eat extra remembering that the excel sheet will get spoilt. As regards to walking/jogging you can target an event like the Half Marathon in Auroville or Bangalore Sunfeast 10K. Start training and be regular. If you will yourself see a difference.

Cheers
MC, hats off for your new personal best of 22.74KM. Amazing! May be it is a mental block, but somehow I can't even imagine myself running even a fraction of that. I start jogging or running and after around 100 meters, I find myself panting heavily and need to stop. I generally dismiss this as a stamina issue, but many a times I wonder if it is a technique issue.

As far as goal is concerned, my goal is to reach below 70 Kg and stay there. I started with 76-76.5 kg in Sep'11. Last Saturday, measured my weight and it was 73! So I am sort of losing a Kilo per month. I met my Mom over the weekend after about half a month and she mentioned that I have lost weight. All my trousers are fitting nowadays . I seem to have lost one inch around the waist. As reported earlier, the belt is already on the first hole. Looking at how my trousers have started to feel loose recently, looks like I need to punch a new hole in the belt.

Partner is something that I have always struggled with. I completely concur with you that a partner plays a key role in staying on track. My longest stint of going to the gym was when I used to go along with a friend. That time, even landline phones were luxury items and neither of us had one. So I had to get out of bed and go to the friend's house because of the guilt that he would be waiting for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Would implement and report.

Last edited by SDP : 28th December 2011 at 07:52.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 10:16   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
MC, hats off for your new personal best of 22.74KM. Amazing! May be it is a mental block, but somehow I can't even imagine myself running even a fraction of that. I start jogging or running and after around 100 meters, I find myself panting heavily and need to stop. I generally dismiss this as a stamina issue, but many a times I wonder if it is a technique issue.
No technique issue, you just need to be atit. I started running seriously in September when I could just about do 1 Kms before panting heavily.

Here is another story of an overweight British documentary maker who with proper training became an elite marathoner in 2 years.
Trailers




The personal website of the Documentary Maker
Alex Vero - Documentary

Cheers

Last edited by MileCruncher : 28th December 2011 at 10:17.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 16:37   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Even though my initial plan was for 15K, because of my running partner ended up doing 22.74Kms (my longest till date).
@MC - You are literally munching miles eh Kms.

Dumb question - How do you measure the number of Kms while doing the jog/walk? Not sure if you have posted the answer earlier in the thread. Was out of touch for the last 2 weeks.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 17:47   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@MC - You are literally munching miles eh Kms.

Dumb question - How do you measure the number of Kms while doing the jog/walk? Not sure if you have posted the answer earlier in the thread. Was out of touch for the last 2 weeks.
Well there are multiple ways:
  1. Use mobile app like EndoMondo or Sports Trainer or some such.
  2. Use Garmin GPS Watch which calculates elevation, calories burnt et al.
  3. Use Dailymile or G-Map Pedometer and map your route in that. Not as accurate as a Garmin or GPS Phone App but quite accurate nevertheless.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 18:21   #74
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,626
Thanked: 9,103 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Just happened upon this nice thread by SDP and thought I'd offer my $0.02...

I know exactly hat you're saying- I guess there is a point in your life, after a kid or two, about exactly mid-career, that these thoughts occur to everyone. Happened to me as well, starting about 2 years ago after a relocation to a new place and a new role.

The realisation that all was not well had been gnawing at my insides for a few years and my wife and I were fortunate to have a breakthrough of sorts after which a lot of needless clutter got cleared for us. It enabled me to refocus on my priorities and work on the things that made me happy. With the passing years, a patience seems to have developed so that I am now able to plan long term and work towards specific and general goals to achieve in life.

I don't mean just on the career front, though I must admit the part about being an email slave made me smile because it sounded so familiar (I was once warned by my GP to give up my BlackBerry or risk something serious brought on by stress. Thankfully, am able to maintain a sense of perspective now and use the device as it was intended!)

I have so many things I want to achieve and accomplish- in EVERY sphere of life: family, interpersonal relationships, career, health & fitness, other interests specifically music. One thing that has helped me immensely is a LIFE PLAN. I came up with one after a rather depressing chat I had with my oldest friend who'd commented with concern on the fact that I'd let myself go a bit more than usual (why is it always about the weight? )
I let him have his say, then went home and thought deep and hard about everything, then sat down with a paper and pen and wrote down a whole lot of goals I had to achieve, with no consideration for what was "important" in the conventional sense of the word. What was important was that it had deep meaning for ME.

I am indeed fortunate to have a set of people around me who GET me and are always there when I need to lean on them. It's also been a revelation how they in turn open up when I am open, honest and direct in my dealings with them. Effective communication is the key to ANY successful relationship, whether it's a marriage or a friendship or just about everything. I am also accepting a lot of things about myself that I was earlier (intentionally or not) blind to and that in turn makes it easier for me to work on things that are important (but, as you say, not urgent)

I don't know how much what I've been rambling on about makes sense to those patient enough to still be reading this! But if it has helped even a little bit, please share your experience reclaiming your life as well.
noopster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 23:20   #75
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Just happened upon this nice thread by SDP and thought I'd offer my $0.02...

I know exactly hat you're saying- I guess there is a point in your life, after a kid or two, about exactly mid-career, that these thoughts occur to everyone. Happened to me as well, starting about 2 years ago after a relocation to a new place and a new role.

The realisation that all was not well had been gnawing at my insides for a few years and my wife and I were fortunate to have a breakthrough of sorts after which a lot of needless clutter got cleared for us. It enabled me to refocus on my priorities and work on the things that made me happy. With the passing years, a patience seems to have developed so that I am now able to plan long term and work towards specific and general goals to achieve in life.

I don't mean just on the career front, though I must admit the part about being an email slave made me smile because it sounded so familiar (I was once warned by my GP to give up my BlackBerry or risk something serious brought on by stress. Thankfully, am able to maintain a sense of perspective now and use the device as it was intended!)

I have so many things I want to achieve and accomplish- in EVERY sphere of life: family, interpersonal relationships, career, health & fitness, other interests specifically music. One thing that has helped me immensely is a LIFE PLAN. I came up with one after a rather depressing chat I had with my oldest friend who'd commented with concern on the fact that I'd let myself go a bit more than usual (why is it always about the weight? )
I let him have his say, then went home and thought deep and hard about everything, then sat down with a paper and pen and wrote down a whole lot of goals I had to achieve, with no consideration for what was "important" in the conventional sense of the word. What was important was that it had deep meaning for ME.

I am indeed fortunate to have a set of people around me who GET me and are always there when I need to lean on them. It's also been a revelation how they in turn open up when I am open, honest and direct in my dealings with them. Effective communication is the key to ANY successful relationship, whether it's a marriage or a friendship or just about everything. I am also accepting a lot of things about myself that I was earlier (intentionally or not) blind to and that in turn makes it easier for me to work on things that are important (but, as you say, not urgent)

I don't know how much what I've been rambling on about makes sense to those patient enough to still be reading this! But if it has helped even a little bit, please share your experience reclaiming your life as well.
Noopster, beautiful post and quite inspiring to read your own experience! Thanks for sharing. The prime reason for me starting this thread on TBHP (instead of maintaining a diary) is that I was pretty sure that, on this forum, I am not alone and I would definitely find other souls who are going through similar dilemma. I am also sure that there are a few people (like you) who have solved this puzzle and have come to terms with themselves. People like you, MileCruncher and Vivekiny2k among others would remain a huge source of motivation for me. I just hope that I solve my own puzzle soon and wish the experiences shared on this thread motivate a few other folks.

Thanks again!

Last edited by SDP : 28th December 2011 at 23:41.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reclaiming the Life of my RX 135 invincible7 Motorbikes 9 6th October 2015 11:46
Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting sumannandy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 163 19th April 2015 07:54
One day in Pondicherry. How best to spend the time ? joecherian Route / Travel Queries 17 18th July 2010 18:40
Newbie reclaiming life! SHOOTER Introduce yourself 1 2nd March 2010 16:42
My Bull - TATA SAFARI Dicor 2.2 VTT Lx - Booked, Bought and Now Reclaiming my life! bglsrini Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 324 27th November 2009 16:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks