Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd November 2011, 22:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Let's Christen Maruti 800 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
800 is a proper name!

I cannot think of putting another name for the 800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It is a 'Maruti' for millions, why change that ?
I feel you are defeating the very purpose of this thread. If you cannot think of putting another name or didn't like the very idea of changing, then please don't comment but please don't ask "Why".?Only because of this attitude Maruti seems to have postponed it this far. No offense meant.

I just checked that the replacement may be called Suzuki Cervo and it will be powered by 658 CC engine. So thanks god it won't be named as Suzuki 658.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I feel you are defeating the very purpose of this thread.
Well. That was my reply. 800 is a hugely popular, widely respected, household name! One that has been etched in the minds of Indians for near 30 years. If at all it deserves to have a name, its 800 IMO!
Quote:
I have been thinking for long that how come the one of the highest selling car in the history of automobile is not having a proper name.
A numerical nameplate is not a proper name?

BMW sells 1,3,5,6,7 etc.
Mazda sells 2,3,5,6 etc.
Maybach sells 57, 62 etc.
FIAT sells 500.
Quote:
If you cannot think of putting another name or didn't like the very idea of changing, then please don't comment but please don't ask "Why".?Only because of this attitude Maruti seems to have postponed it this far.
Buddy, welcome to the (open) forum.

People will have contradicting views! Afterall, we proudly proclaim 'unity in diversity'.
Quote:
So thanks god it won't be named as Suzuki 658.
Didnt get whats to laugh about 'Suzuki 658'! What do you think of '458 Italia' from Ferrari?

Its a 4.5L V8 that gives it the name.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd November 2011 at 00:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 00:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Well. That was my reply. 800 is a hugely popular, widely respected, household name! One that has been etched in the minds of Indians for near 30 years. If at all it deserves to have a name, its 800 IMO!

A numerical nameplate is not a proper name?

BMW sells 1,3,5,6,7 etc.
Mazda sells 2,3,5,6 etc.
Maybach sells 57, 62 etc.
FIAT sells 500.

Buddy, welcome to the (open) forum.

People will have contradicting views! Afterall, we proudly proclaim 'unity in diversity'.

Didnt get whats to laugh about 'Suzuki 658'! What do you think of '458 Italia' from Ferrari?

Its a 4.5L V8 that gives it the name.
I agree that I got little carried away due to this being my first thread. But at the same time isn't this a fact that 800 was not an 'official' name given by MUL. Its even got a different name in Pakistan (Mehran IIRC). See FIAT 500 may have some logic and so do 458 Italia, but 800 come on I don't think it can be considered proper. I feel that by the popularity factor MUL stayed away from renaming it the way they did with OMNI which is also 800 (796)cc. Same reason expressed by few feloow t-bhpians on this thread too.
Old 23rd November 2011, 08:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

The only good name is Maruti 800. I am not able to get any other name for this car. Its like Bettle of India, revolutionized the entire automotive industry like never before and even today the car is running on Indian roads.

We still have one 800 at home and I wonder what is quality, because even after running the car a lot on CNG, in petrol mode the car is still the same, very quick and gives a shock to others...

Maruti 800 stands for reliability, surprising amount of durability, fuel efficiency, low maintenance, low cost of spares, easily repairable car which does not cost much to buy. The brand name is too strong to be ignored.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:17   #20
BHPian

I believe it would be downright wrong to re-christen the 800 with any other name. For literally decades, it has been the synonym for the Indian's first car. having used it regularly for 5 years and 50,000 kms plus, I have nothing but good things to say about it. I remember when I bought my spanking new 800 in 2006, with my first job, it was like a dream come true. My very own car. Indeed, it is a feeling unmatched by any other whatsoever.

Now, as I wait for my new Swift to be delivered in the coming months, a feeling of nostalgia creeps up gradually, with every passing day- with the thought that I soon have to part ways with my faithful steed. If I had the wherewithal to retain 2 cars, I would have done so with eyes closed. The 800 will always be the most special car for me- reliability, toughness, ease of maintenance, sprightly enough performance, all in a basic package. It is an exceedingly brilliant machine, once you are at ease with its shortcomings (which are to be expected at its price point, a princely sum of Rs.2.18 lakhs!), and the name 800 has become a metaphor for all things reliable.

800 it is, and 800 it shall always be, in my opinion. It is a cult car, and things which achieve cult status deserve names which have stood the test of time, just like the product itself.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 23rd November 2011 at 09:22.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:56   #21
BHPian

Whatever may be its name, let's hope that the word/figure has at least three characters/numbers, else it would be a nightmare to search it on this forum. I would dread to find the following team-bhp alert:

"The search term you specified is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer."
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti ONE
Quote:
Maruti NEO
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
800 it is, and 800 it shall always be, in my opinion. It is a cult car, and things which achieve cult status deserve names which have stood the test of time, just like the product itself.
Though I have to agree with arindambasu13, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, here goes: how about MARUTI ALFA?? (like ONE & NEO....)

Cheers,
M_83
Maelstrom_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 12:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti 800 is THE CAR that has fulfilled the dream of owning a CAR to millions of Indians!!. For the common man Car was = 800.

So, it should be remembered as THE CAR = Kuruma in Japanese.

Hence the apt name would be Maruti Kuruma.

Last edited by dhanushs : 25th November 2011 at 12:54.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 13:02   #24
BHPian

Well Maruti 800 is 800 .It should be like that, or else we need separate threads for Maruti 1000 ,tata 307, 407 ,peugeot 309 and for their new cars that are set to debut soon.

For me 800 should be 800 it can easliy translated to local name (like aat sow ,ennooru ).
In kerala its populary known as ennooru.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 13:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Like some others, I think 800 is a good enough name.

Maruti Endura - for having endured over the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher
See FIAT 500 may have some logic and so do 458 Italia, but 800 come on I don't think it can be considered proper.
What could be more logical than an 800cc car being called 800 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Hence the apt name would be Maruti Kuruma.
LOL, man. Mutton kuruma and then Maruti kuruma.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 13:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
LOL, man. Mutton kuruma and then Maruti kuruma.
lol!!.. I guess I was emotionally and nostalgically carried away!

but then, you always have French, Spanish translations to sound good. (but for Suzuki, Japanese is the way to go)

So, how does:

Spanish: Maruti Coche
French: Maruti Voiture

Sound?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 13:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Let's Christen Maruti 800 !

Quote:
.. how come the one of the highest selling car in the history of automobile is not having a proper name...
It is having a propah name,and that is , 800 ! Yes, using a number to refer uniquely to a particular model of car is not something new. There are probably 800 other such car models , if you check the international auto industry.

So,my choice --> this name is as good as it gets : for many like me, the name "Maruti 800" or just "800" will continue to bring back special memories/nostalgia, as in the first new car of a middle-class family.

PS : please re-name the thread to "Let's re-christen Maruti 800"

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th November 2011 at 13:53.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 16:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
So,my choice --> this name is as good as it gets : for many like me, the name "Maruti 800" or just "800" will continue to bring back special memories/nostalgia, as in the first new car of a middle-class family.

PS : please re-name the thread to "Let's re-christen Maruti 800"

Quote:
Also to Mayankk and others - I request to try and visualize the situation in 1983 when the car was to be launched. Please don't consider the current situation.
Requesting very humbly to read complete thread... it's not very long.
Just suggest one or two names that's all. Its not that very tough, isn't it. Lemme suggest one more name in Hindi Maruti Junta.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:22   #29
BHPian

Smile Re: Let's Christen Maruti 800 !

Since the first car for most Indians is like dream come true, it can be Maruti 'Dream'

IMHO Maruti 800 is not at all an iconic name or a proper name.
800 represents the cubic capacity of the engine which is shared with Alto and Omni so the name is ambiguous
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 11:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it a coincidence that NEO and ONE are quite close to EON - the current M 800/Alto competitor.
Anagrams actually. While on play with words, other possible names

Maruti Zucre (meaning sugar - making life sweet - also anagram of Cruze!)
Maruti Anon (meaning at once - also anagram of Nano!)

Just some possibilities came to my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti ONE . It is the one & only car for most of its owners, and also the car that made Maruti the No.1 manufacturer in the country. In fact, the Maruti 800 remained the best selling till only a couple of years back, when the Alto overtook it.

I can't think of a better name for the Maruti 800's successor.
Since ONE may be perceived as a lift from EON, one can think of other names along the same theme, e.g.

Maruti ACE
Maruti UniQ (Since UNO is already with Fiat!)
Maruti No. 1 (like the top-selling soap cake Godrej No. 1!)

O.T. We BHPians are apt at play of words, aren't we? Ever wondered why the signature sticker of team-bhp sports "Got BHP?"? 'BHP' is fine, what about the other word 'Got'? Try rearranging GTO!

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 26th November 2011 at 11:41.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote