Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th December 2011, 23:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default To All those associated with IT Industry - Do you call yourself an IT Joe ?

This thread is aimed at getting views on whether you call yourself an IT professional outside your company to 3rd persons like autorickshaw drivers, House brokers, Generic Govt offices asking where are you employed etc. This thread is aimed at getting your experiences.

For a head start, I do not call myself an IT Joe in public. When i was new to IT in 2004, i used to display my ID in public (Buses, while walking etc). Whenever i mentioned i work for a software concern, i used to get cheated. For an example, i started my career, I was looking out for a house on rent. The rent was 6,000/- for a 1BHK. The moment i mentioned i am employed with software, they told the rent was 10,000/-.

As and when i realized that i did not mention i am in IT (I lied), i notice
that i got more respect and better prices.

When i was called to the police station for passport verification, i had to pay lesser bribe that an IT joe who payed up minutes before i payed up.

House brokers quote me a lesser brokerage.

90% of auto drivers in front od IT parks are cheats, they quote flat rates. The same auto driver who picks up at a bus stand couple of meters away plies by meter.

I seem to get more respect when i mention that i am NOT an IT Person.

Please Note: This is my personal experience only. This is not posted to offend IT professsionals.

Please mention your experiences here.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: To All those associated with IT Industry - Do you call yourself an IT Joe ?

your question is on nomenclature or the profession?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 00:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: To All those associated with IT Industry - Do you call yourself an IT Joe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
your question is on nomenclature or the profession?
I think his question was very clear, nothing to do with nomenclature or profession, but the way the common world see you guys in this line, cos it is associated with a lot of money.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 01:09   #4
BHPian

Looking at the current scenario and the work culture I see myself as a IT donkey . Slogging day in and day out .
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 01:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

See the discussion is already taking the direction it shouldn't. The title is more thought provoking than the content

Personally, I thought the era of IT jacking up prices was over. May be not.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 07:36   #6
BHPian

Well, it happened to me too. During the days of my first job, I was too happy to advertize myself as IT pro. And I was looking for an accommodation. But unfortunately, everything being shown to me (by brokers) was way over my budget. However, soon I realized the reason for that. Soon I started telling people that I am still studying. And suddenly there were 100's of rooms available for my budget

Same was the case with autos. I never tell them (if I am taking an auto for any reason) to take me to some IT company office. I google for a really small company's name in that area and ask them to take me there...landmark would be the big/famous IT company in the vicinity.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 09:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore, at least in the South-East corridor, this is a default behavior. If you are decently dressed and stay in a decent area, it is assumed that you are an IT professional. So it doesn't make much difference until you can "prove otherwise". I have auto wallahs in my area asking for Rs 50, even for a 2 km trip, imported products in the shops around, ladies walking around in sleeveless tops and guys in bermudas, 90% of people carrying a laptop bag, 75% with spectacles, and 99% having a touch phone. Isn't that enough for the world around you to become expensive? That's how life is here. It is very hard for me to portray a "non IT" image here. May be it works better in other cities where there are other industries of more significance.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:11   #8
BHPian

I'm in the IT industry, yes. But I don't call myself an IT Joe.

My definition of an IT Joe is person with good level of technical skills in a specific or multiple areas, who has moved ahead from being a S/W developer to an Architect or a Program/Project Manager depending on the stream the person has chosen.

There's another group of people who are into the business side of IT - sales/pre-sales/domain subject matter experts or people with consultative selling experience. Some of them may not have come from S/W development background (I don't). I don't think they can be called IT Joes.
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sad, but true. I have had similar experiences when i was living in Bangalore. Autorikshaws, cops, shops, house owners/agents and even bus conductors behaving differently if they know that you work in the IT field. They automatically expect you to pay more for the service/goods. We even had our neighbour old lady scream at my roomies once that its due to people working in IT everything costs more now. I remember the time when Rajkumar died and the whole city burned. Someone news agencies analysed this as the less fortunates in the city showing its frustuation and heartburn towards the comparitively better off people.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:29   #10
BHPian

Along with all the negatives, I believe there are positives too to living in an IT-joe dominated city like Bangalore - you get to see people observing queue system, interaction with strangers is often polite, less friction in public life, etc. Ofcourse, all of these changes drastically if you go to the non-IT parts.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Along with all the negatives, I believe there are positives too to living in an IT-joe dominated city like Bangalore - you get to see people observing queue system, interaction with strangers is often polite, less friction in public life, etc. Ofcourse, all of these changes drastically if you go to the non-IT parts.
I do not totally agree. You dont see any of these on the roads, be it an IT or a non-IT guy. If you're referring to malls or restaurants, its pretty much the same anywhere.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:40   #12
BHPian

I would like to differ on the IT Joe part. The 'expert' driver / vendor (like rickshaw puller, auto rickshaw driver, taxi driver, fruit/veggie seller etc. etc.) judges your ability to PAY MORE on the following factors (check the order):

1. Look at your face - is it good? Looks like a rich person?
2. Look at your dressing style - Latest fashion / expensive clothes / dressed like a gentlemen?
3. Look at the way you speak - Soft spoken / give respect to others / difference in accent while speaking local language (means outsider - BIGGEST SIN - Now get ready for the day light robbery)?
4. How much knowledge you have
  • about the area (in case of commuting),
  • about the products (like fruits / veggie etc.)
Destination (Big company) and your Profession comes at the end because you don't tell everybody about your profession and still pays MORE than others. Also Destination and Profession is dependent upon first 4 factors. For example a peon will NOT have to pay as much as you have to pay an auto rickshaw driver, if he is also going to a Big Company.

Therefore, I would say that IT Joe is NOT a factor always. Even a non IT person, meeting above 4 factors will HAVE to cough up more money.

PS: I am also from IT Software World and do NOT mention anywhere (unless required) but still PAYS more so many times !!!

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 6th December 2011 at 11:42.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 12:56   #13
BHPian

The biggest daylight robbery of IT bakras happen in schools while securing admission for our children. The "Profession" and "Annual Salary" fields are scary and values we put there sets the tone for the subsequent "interactions" with the Principal/admission panel.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 17:16   #14
BHPian

Personally, i never advertise my IT background, as it just does not matter outside of office. How does it matter when i am say buying a car in a showroom, whether i am in IT or not. All that matters is whether you have the money for the product you are buying or not.

I believe that anyone without knowledge (of places/distance etc) will be fleeced by auto drivers et all. Not just IT guys.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I'm in the IT industry, yes. But I don't call myself an IT Joe.

My definition of an IT Joe is person with good level of technical skills in a specific or multiple areas, who has moved ahead from being a S/W developer to an Architect or a Program/Project Manager depending on the stream the person has chosen.

There's another group of people who are into the business side of IT - sales/pre-sales/domain subject matter experts or people with consultative selling experience. Some of them may not have come from S/W development background (I don't). I don't think they can be called IT Joes.
I am referring to Core Software engineering people (technical) and not people working in Admin, finance, BMS, Security who are indirectly working for a software concern. this used to be my trick. At places where i have to show that i am working for X company, i tell them that i am in Administrative division of X software company . Company Letter head does not mention the designation but only mentioned the tenure. (At least where all i have worked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Sad, but true. I have had similar experiences when i was living in Bangalore. Autorikshaws, cops, shops, house owners/agents and even bus conductors behaving differently if they know that you work in the IT field. They automatically expect you to pay more for the service/goods. We even had our neighbour old lady scream at my roomies once that its due to people working in IT everything costs more now. I remember the time when Rajkumar died and the whole city burned. Someone news agencies analysed this as the less fortunates in the city showing its frustuation and heartburn towards the comparitively better off people.
Totally true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
about the area (in case of commuting),
about the products (like fruits / veggie etc.)
PS: I am also from IT Software World and do NOT mention anywhere (unless required) but still PAYS more so many times !!!
Cheers!
Irish
Fruits in Koramangala used to cost 20Rs per Kg more than what it used to cost me in Wilson Garden near my PG(in 2005).

I was working for Mphasis Koramangala. Taking an auto from Madiwala / St John hospital / Koramangala Water tank (depending on which direction i want to go) has helped me get an honest auto who would drop me at my place by meter. autos in front of Mphasis are Cheats. The same auto guys are there daily. Autos from Chirst College used to charge by meter compared to autos in front of Forum Mall
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote