Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th March 2006, 01:15   #1
BANNED

Default Scored 434 runs & still lost ...

Hey, I dunno how many of you saw the BEST CRICKET match ever played !! All kinds of records were smashed ... and in the end a result that SHOCKED the entire country called ' AUSTRALIA ' !!

For those of you who missed out ... Australia vs S.Africa -- 5th and last One day of the series which was tied at 2-2 after SA won the first two and then the next two games saw the Aussies hit back real hard. So it boiled down to the last one dayer held today ... Australia got of to a flier with Ricky Ponting being the main man ( 165 runs of 105 ***** --- 13 fours and 9 sixes ) with Hussey, Gilchrist and a few others chipping in to take the total to 434 runs for the loss of 4 wkts in the alloted 50 overs. As all wud have thought that the Aussies had done it once again as they became the first team to cross the 400 run mark and so set a World Record of sorts and it wud be impossible to lose with that score .

Out come the Proteas and lose their first wicket at 10 ... but then the carnage started with Gibbs and Smith smashing the ball all over the park and out too ... !! Gibbs was ruthless with some blistering shots and cud easily have become the first player to score a double century in a One Day game but that wasn't to happen ... ended up with 175 runs from 111 ***** ... !! Then all the players came in and chipped in with runs here and there with Boucher staying in till the end and also hit the WINNING RUNS ... SA ended up with 437 for 9 wkts with one ball to spare ... I can't get over it .... The Aussies world record lasted exactly 49.5 overs ....

I had all my friends and family laffing at me ... I called up all the cricket lovers in the 6th over of the SA run chase and told them to watch it as I had a feeling SA wud manage doing the unthinkable and as one wud expect it they all simply laffed at me, even my wife and sister were laffing at me. But as the game progressed a lot of friends came over and by the time the match ended I was the one having the last laff !!!

The best One Day game ever played .. and I think there won't be another game like this in my life time atleast .

A few Records that were set during this match are as follows --

1) The highest no of 4's and 6's were hit -- the old record was 79 4's and 20 6's ( approx )
2) Australia became the first team to cross the 400 mark.
3) A total of 870 runs were scored .. the highest ever.
4) The ost expensive bowling figures in an One Day International Match was set. Lewis figures at the end read 10-0-113-0 .

I'm sure there must have been a few more records that were set but I can't remember any ..... I need a DVD of this match for my collection !!!

Cheers

PS -- Give a thought to the poor Aussies .... what must they be thinking ?? I LUV IT ...

Last edited by khaadu75 : 13th March 2006 at 01:21.
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 09:23   #2
BANNED

omg, what a match it was!
saw it for abt last 2 hrs. only, but those 2 hrs. were the best in my whole "cricket-life".
amazing match,
waiting for its re-transmission!
really, it was too good.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 09:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The guys just did'nt bother fielding or what?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 11:44   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
The guys just did'nt bother fielding or what?
to field, the ball must stay on ground.

there was a record for maximum no. of fours and sixes too!
there were many other new records too.
brilliant performance by both teams.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 11:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

the ball kept going out of the park
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 12:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

What a lovely sporting sunday it was ..
I was busy flipping channels all evening ..

India - getting into a strong position
Alonso winning and that fab drive from Kimi ..
And then this match .. man, Smith sure had the last laugh .. what batting .. incredible ..
Who needs 20-20 ? 50-50 will do very well, thank you !!!
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 12:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

It was a privelege to watch this match yesterday. So much so that I preferred to watch this over the F1. What a fightback from South Africa! I never expected that.
deepakhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 13:39   #8
BHPian

Where is Cricket going???? There seems to be no hope for bowlers in the next decade....... we should have really good pitches which is evenly poised for bowlers and batsmen.

Last edited by ksethuram : 13th March 2006 at 13:40.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 13:40   #9
BHPian

any more of these and the bowlers will be a rare breed - only batsmen and a few all-rounders will be left to lob the ***** at them

(edit - hehe - whatever i wrote above turned to **** by itself )

btw - we complain about indian pitches being sub-standard and non-competitive - how about this pitch in SA - it must have been heavily doctored to lean so strongly in favour of the batsmen.

and to think that two of the better pace attacks in world cricket would turn out to be mere spectators in such a pinch-hitting show - maybe SA curators are sold to the idea of merging in 20-20 with 50-50

down with such rotten pitches - much as i like pinch-hitting every now and then, it should not be the mainstay of any match - ODI or test

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 13th March 2006 at 13:41.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 15:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

WOW... SHEER CARNAGE!!.. And guess what - I'm kinda glad the Proteans won!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 18:38   #11
BHPian

By far theee best match!!
barbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 19:13   #12
BHPian

For some reason.. i was waiting for the Aussies to lose.. but this one was amazing... Records are meant to be broken.. but a record as huge as 434 was broken in a few hrs.. thats really great.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 19:31   #13
BHPian

By far the best cricket match ever. A good F1 race followed by an even more engrossing cricked match. I guess most of the viewers wanted to see the south africans win, after Gibbs played the innings of his life.
Neo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 01:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Match was excellent. Really enjoyed it. The pitch was a total batting pitch but the bowlers were thrashed. Imagine how it would have felt to be a bowler that day.

Most of the SA, almost all except diappener got out caught, he got bold that goes to show that it was a total batting pitch.

It wasnot that Australia lost, heck scorping such a high score and still losing really feels sad and seems sadder.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 03:33   #15
BHPian

I'd love to see a test match played at this ground...At the end of the game you will have a few bowlers committing suicide.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote