Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th December 2011, 22:51   #1
BHPian

Default Are we a curse?

Is our intelligence, our failure? The seed that is slowly leading to our extermination from this planet?

If you have 90 minutes and want a primer on where we came from and what is causing our destruction, then watch this.

WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 23:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Are we a curse?

Nice philosophy, going by the text of the post. I always believed that the greed/intelligence of man is making him good in one way, at the same time destructing him in another way. Let me see if I can bring more clarity to my thoughts.

Unfortunately, it is not that I can't spare 90 minutes, but I cant spare my broadband for 90 min. Will bookmark this and watch one night when I am awake in the 'free time-frame' for my broadband.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 23:26   #3
BHPian

A tip - Youtube vidoes can be copied off the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder once they have been fully cached.

I used my office network to download it (accessed the link and left it playing while continuing with my work) and watched it at home using VLC media player without even connecting to net

Last edited by WindRide : 15th December 2011 at 23:27.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont believe we are a curse, we are just making it one. We have the intelligence and sense to set things right, but 95% of the times, we go ahead with our greed. Thats how we are designed.

But as we know Earth and its nature, like every species, we are bound for extinction or further evolution. God knows when. And hope the new version of Human beings will have a better way of understanding things.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 12:22   #5
BHPian

Two ways we seem to unknowingly contribute to the plundering of our planet:

1. Rampant consumerism (/globalisation/liberalisation,etc) - Producers and Consumers divided by large geographical distances, forcing the ever increasing demand for petroleum products to transport goods. Now, imagine a world where we are satisfied with what is produced locally!!

2. Wasteful dietary habits - 50% of food grains produced world-wide end up as cattle feed to produce meat. Thousands of liters of water go into producing 1 kilo of meat - resulting in acute drinking water shortage globally and hunger due to mis-direction of food grains.

80% of resources are used by 20% of world population; continous exploitation of poor countries by a minority in the richer countries, leading to ethical dilemmas.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Two ways we seem to unknowingly contribute to the plundering of our planet:

1. Rampant consumerism (/globalisation/liberalisation,etc) - Producers and Consumers divided by large geographical distances, forcing the ever increasing demand for petroleum products to transport goods. Now, imagine a world where we are satisfied with what is produced locally!!

2. Wasteful dietary habits - 50% of food grains produced world-wide end up as cattle feed to produce meat. Thousands of liters of water go into producing 1 kilo of meat - resulting in acute drinking water shortage globally and hunger due to mis-direction of food grains.

80% of resources are used by 20% of world population; continous exploitation of poor countries by a minority in the richer countries, leading to ethical dilemmas.
Advances in technology have widened the reach of previously unaffordable goods and services. A lot of countries have benefitted tremendously from export driven commercial activity, so there is no harm in transporting goods from surplus to deficit regions. Local produce in certain areas barely sustains the population and with agriculture dropping out of favour, those times aren't coming back.

The wasteful dietary habits you mention ignores the fact that locally produced grain is used to rear animals for the meat industry, they have absolutely no obligation to feed someone faraway. Its not misdirection but the most profitable application of available resources. The drinking water shortage has no relation to meat packing, its a local problem and we need to stop spouting conspiracy theories to hide our own incompetence as far as essential infrastructure is concerned.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

its the "greed" which will take us to the destruction, we are already on our way!

Last edited by lohithrao : 16th December 2011 at 13:17.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

Do consider the counter argument

Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 18:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do consider the counter argument
@ samurai, I completely agree with the person in the video. The planet is not going to go anywhere. It is the human species that might get 'evolved/finished'. We are just trying to save our backside here and I am also contributing to the 'save humans' movement
santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 19:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

The human race has consistently plundered nature from time immemorial. Yes we certainly are a curse. Which other animal kills for fun? Even the most powerful of predators kill only for food! We are a wasteful, vicious and mean species and I guess our own greed will cause our own downfall. Frankly I would not mind at all, since I think that what our world needs is a cathartic cleansing. The ancients had it right - live with the land, in harmony with nature. We moderns don't know what's good for us! This is why the ancient folklore and mythology in Lord Vishnu's Dasavataram has the Kalki incarnation and speaks about Kaliyugam. I think it is only a matter of time before that comes to pass, the way we are going, like lemmings intent on our own destruction! Sorry to sound preachy but frankly, this is exactly what I feel!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 00:49   #11
BHPian

The more i think about it the happier iam that our species will one day vanish from the face of the Earth.
This beautiful planet will re-generate, for it has the ability to self-cleanse itself.
We are an evolutionary mistake, a mutation gone wrong.

It is essential for the survival of other life forms and the balance in nature, that we cease to exist.

Last edited by WindRide : 17th December 2011 at 00:53.
Old 17th December 2011, 02:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

relax dude, that doesn't mean we all turn fatalist

you should be happy you have means, tools and freedom to voice your opinion within seconds across the globe.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Now this is really scary...

Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
The more i think about it the happier iam that our species will one day vanish from the face of the Earth.
This beautiful planet will re-generate, for it has the ability to self-cleanse itself.
We are an evolutionary mistake, a mutation gone wrong..
Would not say we are an evolutionary mistake, but we did /are having our day in the sun. Just like the others did before us (birds, reptiles, fishes .. ). So from the evoltion POV, someday there will be another category of living beings who will rule the earth.

But that does not mean we should make it more difficult for ourselves than it needs to be. The way we think everything is meant for our consumption can only bring us into a situation we dont have anything to use. We need to stop adjusting resources to population, and start adjusting population to resources.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Have been reading this thread for long time, downloaded the full Home video in full HD, watched it on laptop and then on my big TV, liked the awesome pictures and the message.

In the end, who knows when the end will come, there must have been many ends before just to start something new thereafter.

Its good we are talking about it, maybe will figure something out before its too late, but even if we don't figure this out it would be interesting to know what is beyond the end.

I believe there is nothing called end.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 23rd December 2011 at 07:16.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote