Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th December 2011, 09:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Is this a scam ? Or a plain mistake ?

Yesterday night at 8 pm - I receive a sms from Red Bus confirming my ticket number and PNR for 2 tickets booked from Mumbai to Goa for the 18th morning !

I get a shock and check my mobile - there is a missed call from an unknown number, I call back and it connects to Red Bis call center / help line. I explain the whole story to them - and get to know that the tickets have been booked by one Mr Gregory Cahn and the mobile number given is mine. So I prod further and find out that the payment is done through net banking of Axis Bank and not a credit card. I do not hold any Axis bank account but my mom does.

So I quickly log in to the Axis Bank account and check for transactions to Red Bus - nothing. Now I am confused !

Why did I get the sms ?
Is it a mistake ?
Or was my mobile number simply given by the person booking the tickets ?
Or is it a something else ? A scam ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 09:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Is this a scam ? Or a plain mistake ?

Seems like a communication error as of now.
Some time back when i ordered pizza from PHD, they noted my house number as 202 instead of 302. Now every time i order pizza, it first goes to 202 before it reaches me.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 09:39   #3
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a mistake.

On a lighter note: Call the call-center and get the tickets delivered to your address. Then we would have a scam
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 13:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is purely a mistake by someone who booked the ticket and gave a wrong number (incidentally it was your number). On multiple occasions i have had false SMS coming to me because someone missed one digit in the 10 digit cell phone number.

Chill and enjoy, if possible do let them know its not the right number.

PS : For last six months i have been getting Tata Docomo bill in my email, with some other name. I have told them thrice that its an incorrect email ID but they haven't changed it yet, so i get to see Mr XYZ bill month after month. Cant really help other then to delete and chill.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 18:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tickets were booked in the name if a Mr Gregory Cahn. I think my number was just given randomly while booking tickets. :(

And again I got a call from red bus asking if I have booked tickets for Goa? what is going on?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th December 2011 at 15:37. Reason: Cohn > Cahn. Was wondering how Sam figd it out even though it was a different last name :P
Old 18th December 2011, 19:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
For last six months i have been getting Tata Docomo bill in my email, with some other name... Cant really help other then to delete and chill.
And I get stock updates from Nirmal Bang. Have been a lil too lazy to check if there's a holdings statement also in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
And again I got a call from red bus asking if I have booked tickets for Goa? what is going on?
You have done your checks. So ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Chill and ... if possible do let them know its not the right number.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 19:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Call up your number from your mobile. If line is engaged...keep trying till you get thru.

Just kidding.

Does the ticket have any info on booking person's email id.

IMHO you can ignore this for now.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 19:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

This may be an erroneous or inadvertent keying in of the mobile number. One digit could have gone wrong. Simple mistake.
Some time back I used to receive a mail regarding some gold sales in a jewellery. The mail was a report of sales and happenings sent by the manager of that shop to his boss. I sent many mails to the sender but went on for weeks before stopping.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th December 2011 at 19:45.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 23:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Gregory Cahn sounds a foreign national's name. Why would a foreign national have a account in axis bank account ? It is very rare.

Did you try contacting the red bus toll free number directly and verify the PNR , instead of calling the unknown number ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 10:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Gregory Cahn sounds a foreign national's name. Why would a foreign national have a account in axis bank account ? It is very rare.

Did you try contacting the red bus toll free number directly and verify the PNR , instead of calling the unknown number ?
The unknown number was of Red Bus. And I checked the PNR on the redbus website - it shows tickets booked in Gregory Cahn's name !
Old 19th December 2011, 10:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

You need a vacation, bro!

May just be an honest mistake but no harm in changing the password of your Mom's online account just to be safe. And be firm with the Red Bus guys and get your number removed from their database. Not promising any results-I have a similar problem with some Sanjay Saxena or some such whose insurance payment alerts I regularly get from Birla Sunlife folks, despite complaining a number of times and being reassured that it's taken care of!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 11:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This reminds me of Hera Pheri - Star Garage :-D
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 11:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

This happens quite often. The other guys number could be very similar to yours, except for one digit which he would have wrongly typed. Hence, you are getting the messages. Ignore it. No scam or whatsoever. Many times on these portals you enter the mobile number and there is a chance you enter a wrong number. I always make sure I check this carefully, especially for movie bookings.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 12:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have an idea to track Gregory Cahn's number. Take your number and replace one digit after another systematically and try dialling and asking for Gregory Cahn. For example, if your number is 9876543210, then try with 9876543211, then 9876543212... 9876543219. Then start over with 9876543200, 9876543220... and so on and so forth. You will no longer be able to make local calls after the 6th digit from the last, so you will, at the most, make 60 calls, and spend an hour. (I have always been poor at permutations and combinations, so I cannot calculate the exact number of phone numbers you need to dial).

Sooner or later, you will find him. (remember how Mr Bean did it in Mr Bean's Holiday?).
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 13:51   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Then start over with 9876543200, 9876543220... and so on and so forth. You will no longer be able to make local calls after the 6th digit from the last, so you will, at the most, make 60 calls, and spend an hour. (I have always been poor at permutations and combinations, so I cannot calculate the exact number of phone numbers you need to dial).

Sooner or later, you will find him. (remember how Mr Bean did it in Mr Bean's Holiday?).
Just the last six digits (using basic maths and not logarithmic permutations) amounts to 9,99,999 calls.

This has got to be the most unpractical solution on earth. Tell me you are joking because I am dying to laugh.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote