Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd December 2011, 15:40   #1
BHPian

Default Heartbreak when selling your car!

Is there any place to cry on this forum? Really want to shed some tears. Just parted my ways with my four year old Optra Magnum, and I can’t tell you guys how I am feeling right now. Perhaps how all of us in the family are feeling. In the excitement of buying a new car we decided to sell Magnum. But when the buyer told us yesterday that he will make the payment, and will take the car tomorrow, all of us got butterflies in stomach. And we all decided to go for dinner, alas one last time a family drive. When we came back from dinner, all of us quite literally kissed her and said goodbye, in all probability all of us wanting to cry.

So many trips and so many memories with family and friends in Magnum. My gawd what a wonderful journey it was. She never disappointed us, rather impressed us and people around us everytime. What an amazing experience it was to own such a lovely car. Few mins ago, when the guy took the car, I was literally running in my office parking to get one more and probably the last glimpse of her, and then she disappeared. This is not the first time I am getting this feeling; I already experienced it when I sold my Royal Enfield Electra. As a tribute to her companionship with me for over a lakh kms, I personally rode it to Nagpur from pune and gave to a buyer(friend), instead of shipping.

Back to my desk, and life moves on. Probably my new car will wipe the tears quickly. So tic tic wait clock started for delivery. Nonetheless, got the idea to start this thread, to share our experiences and feeling.

Note : Mods I could not find any thread on this topic. I hope “Indian Car Scene” is a correct forum for such topics.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: How did you feel when you sold your car?

I can echo your sentiments when I sold off my 4 yr old Santro. My son on the day it was driven off was inconsolable. My parking slot was empty for a few days before the new car came in and during that period I used to by habit reach out to the parking area absent mindedly. However upon realization a tinge of sadness used to creep in.

I still see my old drive in my office parking lots since I had sold it to my office colleague who seems to be taking equally good care of her.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: How did you feel when you sold your car?

I know i am gonna sound completely unemotional, idiotically logical and downright materialistic, but my advise my friend is Move on, its just a car

Yes there are emotional bonds that you have with the car, I had it with my Indica, took some pictures before i sold it. Had it with my fathers Zen (More because of my father, as he is no more then the zen itself). I would take maybe 5 mins at the most for me to recover, and crying, no way.

Whats more important is what fun times you (with your family) had in that car, and that is something to remember (the family part). The car part, the best its forgotten as soon as you give the keys to someone else.

, chill.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 22nd December 2011 at 16:34.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:29   #4
BHPian

I sold my Punto a few months back. Till I took the car to the owner's place I wasn't going through anything, but as I handed over the keys to the new owner I couldn't stop but cry. I wept inconsolably for 15mins.

I almost lived in the car for the 2years it was with me, but as I realized that it's no longer going to be with me I felt like losing a part of me.

Coming to think of it, I did not even cry when my uncle and grand father passed away, goes to show that the love for my baby was incomprehendable.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

After providing service 7 years continously, I sold my 800 and my feeling was "Move On" no emotional attachment. It is again means or machine. New machine taken place in place of 800.

No hard feeling as I got good price out of it also.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Is there any place to cry on this forum? Really want to shed some tears. Just parted my ways with my four year old Optra Magnum, and I can’t tell you guys how I am feeling right now. Perhaps how all of us in the family are feeling. In the excitement of buying a new car we decided to sell Magnum. But when the buyer told us yesterday that he will make the payment, and will take the car tomorrow, all of us got butterflies in stomach. And we all decided to go for dinner, alas one last time a family drive. When we came back from dinner, all of us quite literally kissed her and said goodbye, in all probability all of us wanting to cry.

So many trips and so many memories with family and friends in Magnum. My gawd what a wonderful journey it was. She never disappointed us, rather impressed us and people around us everytime. What an amazing experience it was to own such a lovely car. Few mins ago, when the guy took the car, I was literally running in my office parking to get one more and probably the last glimpse of her, and then she disappeared. This is not the first time I am getting this feeling; I already experienced it when I sold my Royal Enfield Electra. As a tribute to her companionship with me for over a lakh kms, I personally rode it to Nagpur from pune and gave to a buyer(friend), instead of shipping.

Back to my desk, and life moves on. Probably my new car will wipe the tears quickly. So tic tic wait clock started for delivery. Nonetheless, got the idea to start this thread, to share our experiences and feeling.

Note : Mods I could not find any thread on this topic. I hope “Indian Car Scene” is a correct forum for such topics.
Hey Sagar, sad to know that you've parted ways with your Optra. Still remember the ride that night, back from our mega meet, Sunny Da Dhaba to our very own USP (Pimple). What a wonderful machine it was!

We all have, at some point in our lives, been through this situation. For me it was my favorite Raleigh Sports bicycle (8 gears) and my old Bajaj Chetak. After all those memorable miles that these machines serve us for, all we do to them is either send them to the scrapyard or sell them off. But that's just one of the laws of humanity. Old things have to make way for new.

So lets keep the sad feelings aside and let us know how are you planning to welcome your new beauty. Which one is it by-the-way?
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wonder whether men cry only for their cars! And now we got a place to cry for pages and pages. Yes, it is a sad occasion when we part with our cars, which has been very much part of us. We get emotionally attached to our cars when she has been the witness of many of our success and failures, heroisms and foolishness. I am holding on to our dear Baleno, even though she has aged 6 and has started drinking and smoking (read FE and burning the pocket), just for the love for her. Thinking of all the stunts I've performed on her really makes me more sad. I really don't know for how long I will convince dad not to sell her. It's just round the corner, you know? sob.sob.

Last edited by thoma : 22nd December 2011 at 16:43.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yes there are emotional bonds that you have with the car, I had it with my Indica, took some pictures before i sold it. Had it with my fathers Zen (More because of my father, as he is no more then the zen itself). I would take maybe 5 mins at the most for me to recover, and crying, no way.
, chill.
Well I got it off my chest in 5 mins too , just took me few mins to pen down the above thread. And now reading threads on my new car :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Hey Sagar, sad to know that you've parted ways with your Optra. Still remember the ride that night, back from our mega meet, Sunny Da Dhaba to our very own USP (Pimple). What a wonderful machine it was!
You bet bro, I will miss those 120 horses
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Well I got it off my chest in 5 mins too , just took me few mins to pen down the above thread. And now reading threads on my new car :P
Thats like a good boy , Glad to know that. BTW have you realized when you do it multiple times it does not pain anymore , for me maybe as a kid i was emotional to the Fiat we owned but not now.

Which car is it?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Wonder whether men cry only for their cars! And now we got a place to cry for pages and pages. Yes, it is a sad occasion when we part with our cars, which has been very much part of us. We get emotionally attached to our cars when she has been the witness of many of our success and failures, heroisms and foolishness. I am holding on to our dear Baleno, even though she has aged 6 and has started drinking and smoking (read FE and burning the pocket), just for the love for her. Thinking of all the stunts I've performed on her really makes me more sad. I really don't know for how long I will convince dad not to sell her. It's just round the corner, you know? sob.sob.
ha ha ha, yes men would cry for cars far more easily :P only if I had the money i would keep her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Thats like a good boy , Glad to know that. BTW have you realized when you do it multiple times it does not pain anymore , for me maybe as a kid i was emotional to the Fiat we owned but not now.

Which car is it?
Call me stupid, Safari it is
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

In case of cars, for every upgrade we sold our old car only after taking the delivery of new one. So, with the joy from new car, parting the old one never affected us.

But the day when I sold my RX100 (which I got after 8 years of hunt) I felt like missing something, but again for few minutes after which I recovered.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:30   #12
BHPian

My father sold off my Hero winner when I passed out of school in 2002(there was nobody to ride it, as my bro & I already ahd our bikes) to a family friend.

I used to see it sometimes at his shop and it brought back memories of my first automobile ever. Can't forget how i used steal sunscreen lotions of my mother and apply on it and ensured it was parked under the only tree outside school (I was a 14 year old). haven't seen it for long now :(

Have decided never to sell anything since then. While my father always sells automobiles and only buys after that (absolutely no emotional attachment).
Have my 98' splendor still at home on excuse that there should be atleast one two wheeler at home as lots of people do not know how to drive four wheelers and it would be useful in cases on emergency.I Service and then drive it for few days when I am at home and have carried my 02' TVS victor wherever I have been since my father talked about selling it off (Hyderabad>Ahmedabad>Mumbai) . Now that I have got a Karizma ( am running out of parking space) I am contemplating to pass it on to my drivers' kids who stay at our home only, for usage and not sale. It'' be at my home for sure.

I have an i10 (which I really don't like so much)passed on by my brother when he went for higher studies. Now that its confirmed that he would be movinga abroad for his job, I was tempted to sell it and get something I love ( mostly a cedia), but then he got sentimental about it and I have decided to keep it (There is none I can pass it on to, disadvantages of having a small well-to-do family where giving an old car would be seen as offensive).Parents wanted me to get another car for my marriage but I have ruled that out in favour of W124 as its impossible to get parking for 3 cars and I don't want to run out of money when I get a good W124.

The emotional attachment of automobiles is too much for me. Especially the ones I got initially. The joy I got while buying my first Scooter and bike is unforgettable and cannot be matched by any future purchases ( Now we are relatively much better off and know that someday Mercedes BMW lene k paise ho jaayenge but those days Splendor was the biggest thing on earth for me). Just can't sell them for money, it also reminds me of my background.

However, keeping forever is not really logical but certain things I think would help
1. Buy what you love, you'll not get bored of it soon (For me its the w124 i have looking for so long).
2, If you can't afford what you want, wait rather than buying something in the meanwhile
3. Buy whats really reliable (Old mercs/ Toyotas/Hondas etc)..your love will go away if your car starts throwing tantrums and demands money
4. Pass on(not sell) your car/bike to friends and family who'll take care of it and will give it back if you wish
5. Buy something at a stage when you financially afford a step higher than it. Will give you the financial cushion to no pass it on and lose on the sale ( money often interferes with love)

O.T. : Maybe a used vehicle would not have so much emotional effect. Reminds me of GTO's beauty of lateral upgrade thread( you save money and get to love many more cars too )

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 22nd December 2011 at 17:40.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:37   #13
BHPian

Unhappy re: How did you feel when you sold your car?

Recently when I sold off my U-VA after driving it for 3 1/2 years, actually did a photo session with it.

My wifey, kid and myself hugged/kissed the car and bid farewell. It was indeed a very emotional moment for us. The car was with us through good and bad times. No matter how I drove it, it never cried and was always rev happy.

Inspite of me getting a fully loaded Vista, I still remember you my baby :-(
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

We have other cars in the family ,but the Zen is special as it was gifted by my parents .So after 8 years and 1.1L kms when i was travelling out of the country for higher studies ,I had to sell it as my parents just couldnt maintain it the way it was at that time .One look at the car and everyone was ready to buy it ,but I wanted to ensure that I sell it to someone who would take care the same way that I did .Hence decided to sell to a MASS owner in Mangalore ,only after he told me that he would be using it for his personal use and that he would agree to sell it back to me if I come back to India .

I did have tears and didnt eat the whole day .I gave the car with a full tank of petrol and a bag full of polishes . I used to get dreams about the car having met with an accident .

2 years in the UK and I decided nothing can match our country and I decided to come back .The first thing I did when I landed was call up this new owner .He readily agrees to see it back to me and I fix teh deal at a price higher than the market price .I hadnt even seen the car ,but still I fixed the deal over phone .We kept waiting the whole day ,but this #!@# doesnt turn up .And his phone is also not reachable ! I had already transferred the money as well . Finally at 10 pm in the night ,I was in the bath ,when this guy hurriedly comes and drops the car and leaves . Mom says the car is still shining the same way .

I excitedly come out and I see the RHS mirror is broken .From the outside the car looked okay otherwise .The next morning ,I wake up at 5 am to go for a drive . The first thing I notice after getting the car out of the shed is that there are dents all round ,the Automech tail pipe has been intentionally cut ,the window visors are removed ,......... ,the list goes on . They had tried to remove the tachometer as well ,but guess they couldnt figure out the wiring ! I drive and see that the pickup is sad and then I realise there are hundreds of other issues as well ..

I somehow drive the car back to Bangalore and after 10 days and 85K INR more,its back to its old form . 1.95L kms ,it still gives me 14-15kpl in city (without AC) ...still does 160kph on the speedo ...and is still the best car in the world.
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:27   #15
BHPian

What a marvellously timely thread.

My dealer called me today to tell me that my new Swift VXi has been dispatched from the Manesar plant, and that I should get my finances in place and make other preparations for delivery. It was then that it struck me that I would need to let go of my 5.5 year old Maruti 800, 50,000 kms young.

My first car, the very first, that I bought with my own hard earned salary. And the best tribute that I can pay to her is that she has been a faithful and solid companion to me in all my journeys, big or small, alone or with friends, over the last few years of my life. A pinnacle of faith and reliability.

In fact, now that I think of it, she has been one of the few constants in my life. Jobs have come and gone. Girlfriends have come and gone. Friends have changed, new friends have come. I have grown older(!). Yet she is one of the few things that has been a rock solid constant in my life, never wavering even one bit in the fulfilment of duties. Hell- she has been witness to ALL moments, happy and sad, in the past 5 years of my life.

Now the time has come to part ways. The feeling in my heart is so heavy, when I realise that this would be my last week with her. A part of me has been debating whether to keep her another two years, but being a bachelor, keeping two cars does not make financial sense. However, she will always remain an icon - easy to drive, peppy, no-frills, stellar reliability, real cheap to maintain. Cant really find ANY fault with it, if you keep your expectations of refinement and luxury aside.

Though I am excited about welcoming my new Swift into my life, I just hope that the new one would be as solid and reliable, and have as many memories associated with it, when its time to let her go also- many years down the line.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 22nd December 2011 at 18:31.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote