Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th March 2006, 14:46   #1
BHPian

Default Bhai Ye Mumbai Hai

Moving out to mumbai soon, did some search but found 220 threads related to mumbai on this forum. Guys let me know how big is mumbai, and where do I get a decent,clean, 1 bedroom flat. also the place should be near to shopping malls, mplexs, and business centers, railway station, airport, team bhp office, rio , ks motorsports, 4 seasons dealer, and .............. with a budget rent and carparking????????
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 14:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dream on mate. Dream on ... :
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 14:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
Moving out to mumbai soon, did some search but found 220 threads related to mumbai on this forum. Guys let me know how big is mumbai, and where do I get a decent,clean, 1 bedroom flat. also the place should be near to shopping malls, mplexs, and business centers, railway station, airport, team bhp office, rio , ks motorsports, 4 seasons dealer, and .............. with a budget rent and carparking????????
welcome to mumbai, west, but i have a question, r u moving from heaven, all those things in mumbai, only one can dream of.

but still happy hunting. pm me if need help.

shubbhi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 15:06   #4
BHPian

WELL need a place near to all that like 20 kms. in the map it seems too small you see, how much for a typical flat 20k..up or up

Last edited by west : 18th March 2006 at 15:09.
Old 18th March 2006, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
haha for a place in mumbai either remove budget rent or the other options from ur wishlist.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 15:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have been to Mumbai once. I stayed at a flat in a residential apartment provided to my dad by his office. The place is called Napean Sea Road. Its a beautiful place, with a stunning view of ocean. There is a very famous catholic school nearby (don bosco??) and a famous Jain Temple.. and the place is damn rocking with all the facilities.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
I have been to Mumbai once. I stayed at a flat in a residential apartment provided to my dad by his office. The place is called Napean Sea Road. Its a beautiful place, with a stunning view of ocean. There is a very famous catholic school nearby (don bosco??) and a famous Jain Temple.. and the place is damn rocking with all the facilities.
yea but its impossible for him to stay there on a budget....thats one of the most expensive places in mumbai
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 15:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
There is a very famous catholic school nearby (don bosco??) and a famous Jain Temple.. and the place is damn rocking with all the facilities.
don bosco is towards the central suburbs, there are a couple of schools around there, but nothing really well known.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 16:24   #9
BHPian

10 km circle, is big in bangalore. dont need posh , out of the place apartment, just need a place where i can travel all places with ease. By the way wheres 4 seasons dealer in mumbai and also t bhp office?? just curious.
Old 18th March 2006, 16:25   #10
BHPian

Hi West, you have to accept one thing. Rents are sky high in Bombay. So, if you want to save on rent, you shall have to spend of travel. I am not sure how many subscribers to this site use trains regularly, but a lot of Bombayites use this means of transport for daily journeys upwards of 30 km each way. I drive 60to 65 km each day which takes me 3to4 hours.
You have to first identify the location of your office. If its town proper, you can stay in the Western Suburbs or the Central Suburbs or New Bombay, of course being prepared to travel a lot (I live in the Western Suburbs). But if its in one of the suburbs, you are left with only that suburb to choose from, because stay in town would be out (wouldn't be budget) and travelling from one suburban route to another would be too time consuming.
So, if you give us some more information, more people would surely be able to help.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 16:40   #11
BHPian

One office is in parel, dont know where the other one is. I dont like commuting much so may be stick to a high budget flat. I think parel, santa cruz are expensive areas, wonder what rent would be around for a 1 bedroom??
Old 18th March 2006, 16:57   #12
BHPian

My office is also in Parel (Lower Parel actually which is west of the rail tracks) which is east of the tracks. This is mostly mills and factories and not particularly residential. Santa Cruz is about 12-14km from Parel, not too far by Bombay standards. I live in Kandivili and that is 30+km. Rent would be I suppose 10to12k in Santa Cruz. The thumb rule is that rent goes up as you move south towards town, with some particular happening areas commanding a premium. Kandivili rates are lower, 5to7k. So, if you are going to slog at work till late, no point splurging on a home very near office. Best is to come here, stay in the Company Guest house for a while and then decide after witnessing it all.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 22:28   #13
BHPian

man go for the foll list the best happening places of mumbai
bandra
worli (where i stay)seaface probably
santacruz
andheri
else u can go for areas like malad n other like that they low cost places but r developing
luv_bikelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 16:37   #14
BHPian

how much is the rent of single bedroom flat in worli luv_bikelover?? or any single working guys who stay in nice apts can share please PM me
Old 20th March 2006, 18:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

Exclamation Mumbai house hunting primer

Actually inspite of all that stories about how costly the houses in Mumbai are (ok, they are so!) the fact is even Bangalore is as costly. So do not worry to much on that aspect. Most of the houses on rent are given on 11 months LL. There are plethora of brokers who are available for this. They ask you for a 2-months rental as their service charge... however you can negotiate that to 1-months rental (or even lower!). Particularly if the house you are taking is a costly one. Try to look for a broker who has the property listed with him directly. Bigger the chain the more difficult it is to get that service charge down.

Normally the deposit is also equivalent to 11 months' rental. Now depending on the place that you live in the rents do vary. Mind you, just because the rent is low does not necessarily mean that you live in a far off jungle (and even the opposite is true).

Take an example... you can get a house in comparatively low rates at places like King's Circle and Sion-Chunabhatti areas, and yet they are very close to most places that you will ever need to reach without the need for a personal transport. Dadar, Ghatkopar, Bandra all such places are pretty near. On the other hand you may take a costly residential acco in Hiranandani Gardens and then realize that you need to have a car handy most of the times to reach anywhere meaningful.

Last edited by Zappo : 20th March 2006 at 19:01.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote