Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th July 2010, 20:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that.

Never ever buy a ready-made suit. No matter how much the salesguy tries.
Always get it stitched. Always.

If possible get the shirts which you will be wearing with suits also stitched.

Before renting a Sherwani make sure your would be knows about it. Women are known to get ballistic at things which we guys consider normal.

Maharastrian and North Indian style? Do I smell a love marriage? If so then do not forget to invite Raj Thackery to your wedding.

Last edited by download2live : 18th July 2010 at 20:32.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 21:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
First of all Congratulations to you to your would be Mrs and to the both sides of the family.

Now coming to the question you have asked, IMO one should never buy a Sherwani for the only reason being that after you wear it for your own shaadi you will never wear it again and it just lays around unused occupying space.

Here in Jaipur, there are shops who give Marriage Sherwani on rent. An unused Sherwani would be slightly expensive than the one that has been used once or twice before. But still 1/6th the price of buying a new one. They also fit the Sherwani to your size. They also have turbans, stole, jooti etc etc on rent.

As for suits and shirts are concerned at least you can wear them later too. Go to a good tailor and get them stiched, thats the best thing as they fit you the best. I feel ready made never give you that feeling.

My suggestion for your attire during the 3 functions you have mentioned

1. Ring ceremony - Nice traditional Kurta Payjama with a stole

2. Marriage - Sherwani

3. Reception - 2/3 piece suit or a Bandh gala Jodhpuri suit, black in colour with a red scarf in the pocket

Good luck shopping!!
Thanks for the wishes.

Even I feel the same way about Sherwani. It would be a total waste after the ceremony.

As I mentioned, the groom's wedding suit is purchased by the bride's parents, as per the tradition. Hence, renting the sherwani is not an option for me. But I'm glad to know that such a sensible option is available.

While accessories like turban may be rented, but the wedding suit has to be purchased.

I like your idea of Jodhpuri suit. Thanks for the suggestion. I may consider this for the wedding ceremony, instead of the sherwani. Also, I don't know how people manage to climb the ghodi while wearing sherwani. Jodhpuri suit would be a lot more comfortable for this purpose.

Black colour is a strict no no. I have been strictly instructed that black colour is not allowed on auspicious occasions. Even the shoes and belt can't be black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
+1 to that.

Never ever buy a ready-made suit. No matter how much the salesguy tries.
Always get it stitched. Always.

If possible get the shirts which you will be wearing with suits also stitched.

Before renting a Sherwani make sure your would be knows about it. Women are known to get ballistic at things which we guys consider normal.

Maharastrian and North Indian style? Do I smell a love marriage? If so then do not forget to invite Raj Thackery to your wedding.
No no, its a 100% old fashioned arranged marriage. The reason for the fusion of Maharashtrian/North Indian style wedding is that our family is originally from Maharashtra, but we have been living in Madhya Pradesh for several decades. So we follow the culture and traditions of both states.

Why is everyone against ready made suits ? Is the fitting really so bad ?

The reason I am inclined towards ready made is that I can try it before buying and see how it looks on me.

I would try to find some ready made slim fit suits. If it fits properly, I'll select it. Otherwise I would go with the stitched ones.

Please suggest some good shops in Bangalore. I have heard a lot about P.N. Rao on M.G. Road. Do they sell ready made suits also ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 21:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

PN Rao is good place, you may try there for both ready made as well as custom stiched suits. One of my colleague got his wedding suit done there. he really liked it. in fact his fiancee liked him a lot more in that suit.
you can imagine the result.

Suits should be perfect, Ready made suits are not that perfect. Indian bodies are not like we western bodies for which the measurements are predefined. hence in a western enviornment ready made suits are better suited.

Wedding suit is too precious to be mis-fitting.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 21:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

I got a suit done by PN Rao recently. They are really professional and their suits are perfect as far as fit is concerned. Pricey but totally worth it. For basic suits, they charge around 4.5k for stitching. For better cloth, where more care needs to be taken, the rates are higher.

They have a nice collection of cloth as well from around 5k all the way upto a lac.

I wouldn't touch ready made suits with a barge pole.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 23:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate
If you are looking for regular branded clothing, there are plenty showrooms here, I think even your in-laws would be a great help to find you a good place.Though i am from Nagpur, i normally buy or been buying my stuff from Delhi/Mumbai, so no ideas about good places here.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 16:30   #51
BHPian

Any more suggestions, other than P.N. Rao ?

Please suggest some colours too.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 20:45   #52
BHPian

Default Good Tailor for Gents' Suits in Delhi

Hi guys,

I need to get suit(s) [Coat and trouser] stitched from a good tailor in Delhi. Can you guys please help in giving info on a good tailor? I'm currently staying in Chanakyapuri area but don't mind going a little further if the tailor/tailoring shop is really good.

Good quality followed by reasonable cost are the priorities.

Thanx in advance.

-Navneet
Navneet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 21:19   #53
BHPian

I dont think ready made suits need to be bashed up the way they are.
Actually it depends on how you are built up physically. For a normal build, most of the branded ones have EXCELLENT fit.
I dare say even better than the tailored ones.

Try 'Manzoni' from Raymonds - you'll know where I am coming from.

The one reason people may be stiching typical marriage suits are because those wont be available in branded stuff (they would be regular formals) and at times people go for some flashy kind of suits which have to be stiched.

Even then, i'd suggest people go for classy looking but formal suits than flashy/shiny stuff.
Atleast there could be some future use of so much money spent (than just a wedding/reception)

Last edited by jigbarai : 18th November 2010 at 21:23.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 21:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am not looking for any designer stuff, just the regular brands like Allen Solly, Louie Philippe, Van Heusen etc.

A lot of discount sales are going on currently. Is it a good idea to buy suits in these discount sales ? I generally buy all garments during these discount sales only. I feel that branded stuff is overpriced, if purchased at MRP.
Head to 'The brand factory'. Wilson garden or Marthahalli. You get steep discounts on branded suits.

You get discounts upto 70% depending upon the brand. All top notch brands are available. Van heusen, Allen Solly, Reid & Taylor, Park Avenue, Raymonds, etc.

I bought an Allen Solly suit priced at 14k for just 2.5k. (There was a 70% discount already in place + an added discount since it was V day eve).

And I for one, prefer branded suits any day.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 06:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Hi guys,

I need to get suit(s) [Coat and trouser] stitched from a good tailor in Delhi. Can you guys please help in giving info on a good tailor? ....
-Navneet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
I dont think ready made suits need to be bashed up the way they are.
Actually it depends on how you are built up physically. ...

... at times people go for some flashy kind of suits which have to be stiched.

Even then, i'd suggest people go for classy looking but formal suits than flashy/shiny stuff. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

And I for one, prefer branded suits any day.
Guys, I am slightly generously built, so ready made suits won't / don't fit me. And I am getting decent formal suits stitched, no flashy stuff.

Need info on tailors in Delhi. Marthahalli will be SLIGHTLY far for me.

Will appreciate, if someone could share info on some good, reasonably priced tailors in Delhi.

Thanx.

-Navneet
Old 19th November 2010, 11:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Guys, I am slightly generously built, so ready made suits won't / don't fit me. And I am getting decent formal suits stitched, no flashy stuff.

Need info on tailors in Delhi. Marthahalli will be SLIGHTLY far for me.

Will appreciate, if someone could share info on some good, reasonably priced tailors in Delhi.

Thanx.

-Navneet
You can try Ahuja Tailors in Karol Bagh - Ajmal Khan Road.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 11:35   #57
BHPian

can anyone suggest a good tailor in south mumbai. Have received a suit piece as a gift and need to get it stitched !!
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 11:44   #58
Team-BHP Support

My first suit, obviously custom tailored by a so called master tailor who made me visit 3 times to his shop to check the fit, finally turned out to be horrible. I couldn't lift my arms above the elbow level, could barely reach the scooter handle. That was in 1993.

Forget barge pole distance, after that I have kept suit tailors a mile away. Since then I have only bought ready made suits, either in India or USA. Fortunately, ready made suits fit me pretty well.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 19:44   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget ready made suits, i cant even find formal shirts also that fit my size in Bangalore.
All of them have sleeves that end up way before my wrists start. So i end up folding them up.
Surprisingly, some from Chandigarh gifted me a formal shirt of my size (44) and its sleeves fit me perfectly!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 10:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
You can try Ahuja Tailors in Karol Bagh - Ajmal Khan Road.
Any idea on his charges ?