Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th January 2012, 08:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smile Mumbaikars - Are you supporting the NO TV Day on Jan 28th

Hi Folks,

Hundustan Time has intitiated a campaign called "No TV Day" on January 28th to encourage people to stay away from the Idiot Box for one day and create a special day for self and family.

Are any Mumbai T-BHPians supporting this? The details are available in the link Hindustan Times NoTVDay Season 2

This campaign was intitiated last year but somehow I missed it and will be defintely using this day as an excuse to lure my family (esp my wife, son and my mother) from those daily soaps and cartoons to enjoy one complete day as a family. For starters I am planning to take my family to visit the Pagoda off Gorai Creek and if possible to Essel World ending the day with some nice food somewhere on the Ghodbunder Road. Alternatively a visit to Nehru Planetorium, Worli is on the cards too (For my son). There are some events planned by Hindustan Times but I am skipping them to have out own moment of togetherness.

What would you do if you were to stay away from the TV for one complete day?

Mods: Searched the entire forum, could not find any dedicated thread hence starting new. In case any thread exists please merge.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 09:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbaikars - Are you supporting the NO TV Day on Jan 28th

Actually, I've been supporting no TV day everyday since 2004. I gave up watching TV about 7 years ago.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 09:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Actually, I've been supporting no TV day everyday since 2004. I gave up watching TV about 7 years ago.
Even the shows you were on? BTW, I watch TV only on weekends.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 09:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even the shows you were on?
lol, you got me there. No I do watch the shows I'm on of course.

I watch movies on DVD and BD. But not TV programs. I find it mind-numbing.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 09:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Same with me. Got rid of the habit when I moved to hostel for education. After that it was only for cricket match. And now even that carving is gone. Now for me TV is switched on only for 10-15 mins a day during the time I am having breakfast, and that too only for news channels. Here too, if I time it badly, those 15 mins are spent watching commercials
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 10:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

This is the most stupid stupid thing. I wish they had a Watch TV All Day kind of day.

Everyone except "us" trapped inside their houses and forced to watch TV. Mindless programme's one after another.

We are out on the empty roads. What fun.

Last edited by bblost : 12th January 2012 at 10:13.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 10:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

We have been having no TV days since last 1 week (courtesy Tata Sky), kiddo has forgotten asking for programs on TV and we go down and play (much more fun i must say).

I guess we should have no TV weeks not days (one day in a year is too less)

OT: Sam what shows you are on, is there a list of those so i can watch them only .
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes i am supporting it for sure...actually its not going to be difficult for me since my total tv viewing hrs in the last 12 years must be under 25hrs...obviously i am excluding DVD movies and a few shows form my HDD eg. TG
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

I stopped watching TV since June-July 2011 + no DVD movies
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 13:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Mumbaikars - Are you supporting the NO TV Day on Jan 28th

All the above posts by BHPians talks about whether they watch the TV or not. However the families do watch it quite religiously, I guess so. The campaign is all about getting your family from sitting in front of the Idiot Box for one whole day.

I too dont watch TV more than 10-15 mins a day that too in the mornings while having breakfast just to catchup whats happened/happening. In the evenings I rarely do have the patience and time to sympathatize with the teary eyed soaps.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 13:18   #11
F50
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally, my whole family is away on 28th January! In this case what do I do?

I have lot of catching up to do in GT5!
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 14:41   #12
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Neither me nor my family watches TV since a long time. I stopped, guess since mid 2002. My family stopped since 2004. We didn't even take cable connection for a long time.
Now we have cable at home since last 6 months, but keep away from tv programmes.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 14:52   #13
BHPian

Even if one tries to watch TV on a Saturday, there is nothing interesting to see. I don't remember watching any good program/movie on Saturday.

I generally prefer to finish my grocery shopping, running errands and other household chores on Saturday.

But I am against a complete ban on TV for a day. Spend time with your family, but there is no harm in watching a bit of TV, especially news (and Discovery Turbo) .

Rohan

PS. Just wondering how would HT react if some TV channel came up with "no newspaper day".

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 12th January 2012 at 15:18.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 17:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

So true, with countless channels i feel thier are hardly any channel which is worth watching, esp on weekends. the movie channels(star, HBO..) have mastered the art of "repeating"... so i really dont think thier is no need of any campaign people will stay away just like that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Even if one tries to watch TV on a Saturday, there is nothing interesting to see. I don't remember watching any good program/movie on Saturday.

I generally prefer to finish my grocery shopping, running errands and other household chores on Saturday.

But I am against a complete ban on TV for a day. Spend time with your family, but there is no harm in watching a bit of TV, especially news (and Discovery Turbo) .

Rohan

PS. Just wondering how would HT react if some TV channel came up with "no newspaper day".
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 21:49   #15
BHPian

I am also one of those who hardly watch TV.

News channels with over excited anchors, melodramatic music, and sensationalist reporting sound like saas bahu serials. I would rather read a newspaper where I can choose what to read.

Movie channels show more ads than movies. Much better to watch downloads on laptop.

Looking at the posts above, I am wondering whether BHPians watch less TV than the general population because they are busy on the internet.
highway_star is offline   Reply With Quote