Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th September 2010, 13:21   #1561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathgowda View Post
Hi, all my Dogs have been sleeping with the same bed as me. Have no issues with them till now, apart from small fights for the pillow .

A person can inhale the pets hair even though if the pets sleeps on the floor, so just making it sleep at a lower level will not eliminate the problem.
Well, letting it sleep at a lower level was not to prevent the hairs going inside your body. Sleeping with it will increase the chances which I said.

However, If you are ready to take chances, good enough but it has a huge cost to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Well, I have flouted all those tenets above and haven't regretted it. And yes my doggie had quite a short fuse and could get quite aggressive. But funnily it was almost never directed at me. Even if he was pissed off at me (so to speak) he would likely go attack/bite the next nearest person rather than me. Had been in few real tight spots when there was bloodshed (literally!) that way...

Whatever it was, I'd never agree to keep him the way you described. Still, I can somewhat understand what you say as there are different dog lovers, different dogs and different situations. Possibly some dogs may have to be treated bit differently than what I did mine. But then as they say - there are no problem dogs. Only problem "masters".

Btw, that poem was... morbid... :(
I would surely not like to meet your dog when you messed up with him Share the experience of bloodshed and how you got over it? Sometimes, I find it hard myself when 2 of my dogs start fighting with each other. Maybe, because of their size and strength.

I believe what I was saying because I have 3 dogs, out of 2 are GSDs (My first pet as Dogs). All 3 came one ofter the other. Even though I adopted 2 on the same day, Initially I had only 1 GSD and his brother was with my girlfriend. Now we all know how girls are serious about cute things, so she kept the other dog like a soft toy. Both of them used to eat,sleep together. The other dog was with me and I kept him like a dog should be kept. I never chained him up, neither did beat him but made sure he understands the difference between a human being and a Dog without keeping the love apart.

After 3-4 months, the other GSD also came home and I could feel the difference in his upbringing. And can still feel it after 1 year. He does not think he is any different than human beings. He tries to talk to us if he are talking to each other watches TV, wants to eat and sleep with us. Also never goes out of the house. There are more symptoms which are too funny.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 13:38   #1562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
A lady had a miscarriage because hair was found in her stomach of her own pet.
Sorry, but I just do not believe that can happen.

However... there are definitely risks associated with microbes found in cat excreta that can be very dangerous to a pregnant woman. There are risks, but I think you have the details wrong.

Being a Brit, I know lots and lots and lots of people who have shared their bed space with their cats and dogs, and I do not know of one bad incident that occurred because of it --- apart, of course, from the animal growing up to take up most of the bed!

My only warning is: sleeping with your puppy means sleeping with your dog for the rest of its life. it will not break the habit. If that is OK, then go ahead.

The dogs look cute and beautiful.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 14:00   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sorry, but I just do not believe that can happen.

However... there are definitely risks associated with microbes found in cat excreta that can be very dangerous to a pregnant woman. There are risks, but I think you have the details wrong.

Being a Brit, I know lots and lots and lots of people who have shared their bed space with their cats and dogs, and I do not know of one bad incident that occurred because of it --- apart, of course, from the animal growing up to take up most of the bed!

My only warning is: sleeping with your puppy means sleeping with your dog for the rest of its life. it will not break the habit. If that is OK, then go ahead.

The dogs look cute and beautiful.
Upto you to believe. I am saying what I saw in Discovery.

The microbes found in cat excreta causes toxoplasmosis which you are talking about and I am not. Am not here to prove the point that I am right. I just watched it in discovery which I have no proof of, so people carry on with what you are doing if you have your own understanding of everything, or need a google answer to it.

According to me, it is just too risky and matter of common sense that an embryo is extremely sensitive. You don't need Potassium cyanide to kill it.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:20   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would surely not like to meet your dog when you messed up with him Share the experience of bloodshed and how you got over it? Sometimes, I find it hard myself when 2 of my dogs start fighting with each other. Maybe, because of their size and strength.
Jeepers... I would have to write books on that. That will be seventeen years of memory, growing up with my doggie.

Humans bloodshed aside, the scariest moments was when he attacked other big dogs, and me right in the middle of vicious brawls, trying to arrange a ceasefire...

I quite agree about the "bed" thing. Not getting into the details of specific pathogens and parasites, and much as I'd love to, I have never let any pets on beds or sofas. They just cannot be kept that clean. I would have no issues on elevating their perches however high they want, compared to mine... But sofas and my bed wold be taboo territory for them. I guess since they were allowed higher elevations, they never really complained...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 18:48   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
My cats love the laptop Must be the new breed of tech savvy cats !

Don't know what they like about it & the laptop bag !
Cats like warm/hot places, My kittens used to sleep on the CRT monitor or on the stabilizer behind the TV.
About the laptop bag, They like exploring new unseen stuff.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:17   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Someone who says that has probably never really loved his doggie.
Whats more, if it were true, I should have been "dominated" by mine for a pretty long time.
Googleman is absolutely right. If the pet owner/parents do not stand up and take the position of the pack leaders, they will most certainly take that position. 2 issues with sharing the bed.
1. You just cannot stop your pet's butt from touching the blankets, and you cannot clean your pet's butt with soap and water every time. Also, you cannot bathe your dog everyday, the oils they secrete is essential for a healthy coat. That means you cannot keep them as clean as humans. Watch animal planet to see the germs on the beds of people who share the bed under UV/special light.

2. Once in the bed, it becomes his den. There can be territorial issues, and aggression associated with guarding it. The small pillow fight Bhagath is talking about would have a different result with a 75lb labrador, or a much bigger great dane. Bad behavior needs to be nipped in the bud.

Lastly, some of the shows related to dog behavior on Animal Planet/Discovery (Its me or the dog) are an excellent source of info. They help both pets and their parents better the lives together. The advice have been well researched and well thought out, I would not discard all of them as not applicable.

Last edited by prasadee : 13th September 2010 at 22:22.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:33   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if he was pissed off at me (so to speak) he would likely go attack/bite the next nearest person rather than me. Had been in few real tight spots when there was bloodshed (literally!) that way...
And you find it funny? what if the favor was returned?

I don't like (or dislike) animals, and no matter how much cute or harmless others think their pets are, I make it a point to keep them away from me.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 23:03   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I don't like (or dislike) animals, and no matter how much cute or harmless others think their pets are, I make it a point to keep them away from me.
Are'nt you on the wrong thread then? In any case - now that you are here, if you have friends with pets - do take a moment to learn a little about pets. How to ignore them, how not to get their attention, how not to jump around and scare them, etc. They are like curious little kids, they will come over to sniff you out and figure out if you are a friend who likes to play or not. Turn your back, ignore them, and they will make sure they stay away from you.

And yes, our guy is cute, harmless and the best thing that happened to our family.

Last edited by prasadee : 13th September 2010 at 23:05.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 23:24   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Are'nt you on the wrong thread then? In any case - now that you are here, if you have friends with pets - do take a moment to learn a little about pets. How to ignore them, how not to get their attention, how not to jump around and scare them, etc. They are like curious little kids, they will come over to sniff you out and figure out if you are a friend who likes to play or not. Turn your back, ignore them, and they will make sure they stay away from you.

And yes, our guy is cute, harmless and the best thing that happened to our family.
I hardly comment on this thread, although I open it time to time when it keeps coming up. And I know how to handle pets. The only reason I commented was the incident related to uncontrolled dog.

If you have an uncontrollable dog, you should take it seriously. At the least, respect other's boundaries.
Old 13th September 2010, 23:52   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
And you find it funny? what if the favor was returned?

It isn't how it sounds to you. Maybe I'v not put it right... but doing so would require lot more details about the incidents which I'll desist from explaining here for want of time and also I don't think it will add any value here except perhaps as entertainment.

But I very well know that you are referring to irresponsible owners who let their pets be a nuisance and risk to others; which is really unfortunate, because most of the time, most people let that make them hate the poor critters instead of the owner with whom the blame ALWAYS lies.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 00:36   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
poor critters instead of the owner with whom the blame ALWAYS lies.
I was going to say that, but decided to keep the response short.
Old 14th September 2010, 01:01   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that where people let their animals sit and sleep (in their own houses, at least!) is purely personal. Once upon a time I got a three-seater sofa because my cat had a way of not leaving enough room for me on anything smaller. My next cat had a way of sneaking under the bed covers --- which wasn't nice if she had just been out in the rain!

The Current Cat is not allowed in the bedrooms, and not allowed to sit on my wife's chair. Somehow, we manage to compromise and keep both wife and cat happy!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 09:43   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Lastly, some of the shows related to dog behavior on Animal Planet/Discovery (Its me or the dog) are an excellent source of info. They help both pets and their parents better the lives together. The advice have been well researched and well thought out, I would not discard all of them as not applicable.

These shows are really informative and give 'mandatory-to-know' information to all pet owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that where people let their animals sit and sleep (in their own houses, at least!) is purely personal. Once upon a time I got a three-seater sofa because my cat had a way of not leaving enough room for me on anything smaller. My next cat had a way of sneaking under the bed covers --- which wasn't nice if she had just been out in the rain!

The Current Cat is not allowed in the bedrooms, and not allowed to sit on my wife's chair. Somehow, we manage to compromise and keep both wife and cat happy!
You can do that with cats. Cats clean themselves, and keep themselves tidy. Even if they are out in the rain, they will lick their body and clean it first before going to sleep.

But you can not expect the same from a dog. The dog hardly cares if he's dirty or clean, there may be exceptions. Moreover, each and every dog has tick and flee. None dogs are completely free of these, an sleeping with them would be like sharing the ticks.

Generally, the bigger breed the dog is, you should be more careful. I think pugs and chihuahuas are ok to allow on sofas.
Old 14th September 2010, 10:56   #1574
BHPian

Quote:

Generally, the bigger breed the dog is, you should be more careful. I think pugs and chihuahuas are ok to allow on sofas.
And why is that ?

Was trying not to jump into the discussion for a long time but could not resist.
Size of the breed doesn't matter if all you people are concerned about ticks and flees and hair going into some pregnant woman's stomach and all hell breaking loose.

The total count of my pets as of now is three(2 labs + 1 GR) which would increase to 4 with a new pug joining in this weekend.

And yes whoever posted about the dogs back not being properly cleaned and hence should not be allowed on bed is right.
But I guess the choice is entirely personal. To each one his own.

So can we stop arguing and stop taking the fun out of this wonderful thread.
And please...more pics please.

Special request to Googleman,
Dude where are the pics of your GSDs and Mastiff.I was hoping to catch them here.But you just won't post it.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 14th September 2010 at 10:57.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 23:23   #1575
BHPian

Some more photos of my Rooney.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-07122009662.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-28022010870.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-060720101152.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-130820101152.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc001081.jpg  

drdeepudev is offline   Reply With Quote