Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st January 2011, 17:22   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am thinking of getting a good hair trimmer for my cat. She sheds hair like crazy and brushing her daily is just not cutting it out. I need to give her a good hair cut.

Any trimmers out there safe for cats? Any recommendations and prices - anyone? Am guessing dog hair trimmers should work for cats, but the coats are different (and so is the hair), hence my questions.
I do not think that trimming is going to help. I have a Lab, and boy does he shed. The only remedy is to brush him in the shedding season. We us a steel comb with a very fine pitch. That effectively snares all the loose hair. We do at least four or five passes every time and get a hand full of hair.

Hair that falls off will not be inhibited by trimming, only brushing will help!
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 22:23   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
With a heavy heart i am writing this, Our first pet in delhi, Chimpu (spitz) passed away on christmas day 6:00 AM

I am sorry for your loss. RIP dear Chimpu. Its hard to get over a lost or missing pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post
My labrador bitch just gave birth. And we are in chennai.

If you are in chennai and into labradors in the next 40 days, you are welcome to pick up one.

OEM
Please keep the pups with their mum for couple of months. Snatching them away so early from mothers affection soon after birth is not fair on them.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 22:39   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I am sorry for your loss. RIP dear Chimpu. Its hard to get over a lost or missing pet.

We miss her a lot, i have 2 more dogs but none was like chimpu. I still remember the day i got her, my wife and sister were in the car and she was so small that she could fit in my palm, One of her first pics.

Name:  26551_101540063217362_100000841074825_35586_6713700_n.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  24.9 KB

We stayed at the first floor of our building and she had great difficulties climbing the stairs, she will place her front paws on the next step and we used to push her bum with our legs and she would climb, and wait for us to push her on every stair. She was the only dog i have seen smile, A pic with my sister.

Name:  156736_165060066865361_100000841074825_287329_5934974_n.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  48.0 KB

She will always be missed.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 1st January 2011 at 22:40.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 23:47   #1684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I still remember the day i got her, my wife and sister were in the car and she was so small that she could fit in my palm,
@Pramod, I feel for you guys. I can understand what you are going through - those memories are not going to away any time soon.

OT:
was chatting with a colleague who happens to hate dogs. I actually felt good - not about what was told to me, but about us. Dog haters may have something in common to unite them. But we have something far more precious for us - we bond in such a positive way, something that they just cannot fathom. Something they will never understand. Let them be.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:42   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post
The technical term is FOX RED

You'll find a clearer explanation here Labrador Retriever Colours

For more information....Fox Red Labrador Retriever - Learn all about them

And rest assured, it is a KCI and AKC recognised colour.

By the way, congrats your dog looks healthy. Perfect stance. And when I am visiting in kerala nxt time, will drop by to see him. With my girl offcourse
Thanks OEM. You are most welcome to God's own Alleppey.
@ pramod, sorry to hear your loss. I have gone through these times. May the good lord extend his support to your sister in this difficult time.
drdeepudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:03   #1686
BHPian

mickey sizing up my brothers birthday cake!!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc05248.jpg  

bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:28   #1687
Distinguished - BHPian

Good luck to him! I hope he gets his share!

(Or perhaps not: I heard that chocolate is very bad for dogs.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:36   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good luck to him! I hope he gets his share!

(Or perhaps not: I heard that chocolate is very bad for dogs.)
and cats too, isnt it?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:42   #1689
Distinguished - BHPian

That I don't know; none of mine have shown an interest.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:17   #1690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I heard that chocolate is very bad for dogs.
i've heard that too much oily food and sweets can drive a dog crazy. not sure though, as i've not actually seen it happen.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 00:01   #1691
BHPian

dont worry guys, i made sure he didnt get any..
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 00:54   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've heard that too much oily food and sweets can drive a dog crazy. not sure though, as i've not actually seen it happen.
'Sherry' my cousin's Pom used to relish 'Five star'. The way she would contort her face to get to the sticky stuff was a sight to behold. As for sweets she would go crazy as soon as a knife met a mango, the sweeter the better. She would sit beside you put her face on your lap and emit a very long low growl untill you gave in. Another fruit both she and yours truly enjoyed was the cashew. Yup not the nut but the fruit golden yellow, juicy, pulpy and terribly sweet. In my mind's eye I can still see a 9 and two 10 year olds climbing up and plucking them from the trees and Sherry below turning around in circles and having a ball picking up what the boys fists could not hold. I don't think that all the sweet stuff had any ill effect on her. Infact she enjoyed a long and healthy life. Miss her and how!

Disclaimer I am not a dog expert and not recommending or encouraging any one here to feed sweets to their pets. Just that looking at Chimpu in Pramodkumar's posts brought back a flood of old memories and hence the ramblings
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 01:03   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Wow, my condolences Pramod. That was a sweet sweet dog.

As for the chocolate, black chocolate is harmful to dogs. My Dog Ate Chocolate
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 18:07   #1694
BHPian

Anyone in the forum has a Rajapalayam. I am looking for a guard dog (Dog will have less space to roam in the compound, but anm assured walk in the mornign + at least an hr play late evening is what I m ready to commit) and right now I m debating betweeen Rajapalayama and Doberman.

Was wondering if some one has a Rajapalayam breed and can update on the typical behavioral aspects of the dog (very less available over net).
I think I can get an authentic Rajapalayam as I know some one who is ready to pass a pup in the next litter.
Also I m not putting in the base for a dog house. Any idea on the iner dimensions of the dog house for a dog like Rajapalayam.

About me, I always wanted to have a dog from childhood, but my parents were dead against it. the neighbors dog used to get all my biscuts in childhood. Now I have aplace of my own, wanna go for one.

Took one stray couple of Yeras back, but it succumbed to Parvo within a week (even after all the care)

Geore
pvgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 10:54   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
Anyone in the forum has a Rajapalayam. I am looking for a guard dog (Dog will have less space to roam in the compound, but anm assured walk in the mornign + at least an hr play late evening is what I m ready to commit) and right now I m debating betweeen Rajapalayama and Doberman.
Big dogs require a lot of exercise. So be prepared for it.

I am not discouraging you, but a dog is a long term commitment and should not be acquired on a whim. I have seen a lot of impulse buys, and then once the novelty wears off the dog is terribly neglected.

Please surf the net for proper space, food and exercise schedule. Other points

1. Will the dog be alone the whole day or will there be some one the whole day.
2. Who will look after the dog when you are on a tour/holiday.
3. Are the family members for or against the dog. If they are not keen or against then the dog will suffer as no one will look after it.
4. Normally dogs can get accustomed to vegetarian food, but thrive best on non vegetarian fare.
5. All dogs shed hair, which will mean that not only all the family members will have to accept it, but you will have to groom the dog daily to minimise hair filling up every nook and cranny of your house.

Finally the cost of upkeep
. Food -> 2-4K/month, includes milk, rice, mutton/chicken/fish
. Regular medicine and vaccines -> 2-4K/year
. Extra space for the dog to feel comfortable
. Extra help to look after, may be walk the dog when you are indisposed/absent.

All in all you must be committed to upwards of 60K/year in expenses and at least two hours of exclusive attention/day.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote