Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 13:23   #1816
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Get some chicken, cut it up into small pieces and feed him. Dont need to boil it, and better with the bones. Cats and their tummies are much much stronger than us. Avoid milk - cats are actually lactose intolerant. Its a myth that cats love cow's milk - this happens only if the kitten is fed cow's milk from birth.

Avoid ride - its nothing but carbs. Give it chicken (but not too much or you'll bind its stomach). Give just enough chicken so you know it wont go hungry for the night. The rest of the time, it should learn to fend for itself (if you're not adopting him, that is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Cats do not need carbohydrates unlike dogs who thrive on them. Cats will take raw meat and fish with relish. If you are a fish eater, give the cats the left over bones, else you can treat it to some fish head. Raw chicken entails - guts, liver, heart etc are another favourite cat treat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yep, you're right. But my cat takes the stuff and eats it underneath my couch. and then leaves it there for eternity (or until the maid comes - which is eternity!).

Its a natural trait I guess.
I cannot feed him chicken cos' we're vegetarians and my mom wont like me getting meat home. And yes i plan to keep him at my place. I also thought of buying him cat food, But i'm not sure if dry cat food is sufficient.
Do you think i should provide him dry cat food? Considering that cats don't drink water.

Where as my neighbor, feeds him chunks of fish and rice which he refuses to eat.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 15:24   #1817
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 653 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I cannot feed him chicken cos' we're vegetarians and my mom wont like me getting meat home. And yes i plan to keep him at my place. I also thought of buying him cat food, But i'm not sure if dry cat food is sufficient.
Do you think i should provide him dry cat food? Considering that cats don't drink water.

Where as my neighbor, feeds him chunks of fish and rice which he refuses to eat.
Welcome to the family!

Food habits:
1. Get any branded cat food. Feed only when its hungry. Dry is okay.
2. Supplement with a wet pouch as a treat maybe once a week.
3. Keep lots of water in little bowls around the house. Give him the same water you drink. Keep cleaning the bowl and refilling every 2 days. Cats like to hunt around for water and food. They like a little excitement.

Potty:
1. Get a nice big tray, buy cat litter (300 bucks for a big can) and fill it up. Your cat will take to it like a fish does to water.
2. Clean the litter by ONLY scooping out the poop/hardened stuff. Spread new litter on top. This way, buying cat litter wont pinch you.
3. Never use sand. It does not absorb, is very unhealthy.

Get him his vaccinations at CUPA, get an ID card done, and get the de-worming done right away. Its much better if he's neutered too - will save you the hassle when he goes into heat.

Train him early on baths and clipping his nails. I failed to do that and am paying the price ;-)

And finally, put up a picture of the guy here. Here's my angel throwing a tantrum!
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th March 2011 at 15:28.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 19:51   #1818
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Welcome to the family!

Food habits:
1. Get any branded cat food. Feed only when its hungry. Dry is okay.
2. Supplement with a wet pouch as a treat maybe once a week.
3. Keep lots of water in little bowls around the house. Give him the same water you drink. Keep cleaning the bowl and refilling every 2 days. Cats like to hunt around for water and food. They like a little excitement.

Potty:
1. Get a nice big tray, buy cat litter (300 bucks for a big can) and fill it up. Your cat will take to it like a fish does to water.
2. Clean the litter by ONLY scooping out the poop/hardened stuff. Spread new litter on top. This way, buying cat litter wont pinch you.
3. Never use sand. It does not absorb, is very unhealthy.

Get him his vaccinations at CUPA, get an ID card done, and get the de-worming done right away. Its much better if he's neutered too - will save you the hassle when he goes into heat.

Train him early on baths and clipping his nails. I failed to do that and am paying the price ;-)

And finally, put up a picture of the guy here. Here's my angel throwing a tantrum!
That's a great list of advice redliner, Thanks a ton!.

I bought a box of whiskas dry food for kittens aged under a year, And this kitten doesn't roam inside the house, For some strange reason he comes home 5-6 times a day and spends an hour every time he visits on the DOOR MAT and roams around 1/4th of the living room. Rest of the while he roams around the neighboring houses. I guess he litters somewhere else which i needn't worry about

And about clipping his nails, I somewhere read that the cats get really upset and start acting weird once their nails are clipped, Is that true?

Here are a few pics of him enjoying the sunlight.

He's trying to explore the pot in the second pic.

The gray cat in the last pic is his mom, She hisses and tries to scratch him when he goes near his mom.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20110220_111543.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20110226_103153.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20110224_211624.jpg  


Last edited by akshay_b : 19th March 2011 at 20:15.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 20:26   #1819
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 653 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

If he's let out of the house, dont trim his nails. He needs them for protection. Mine is a full on home-body - has never ever ventured out of the door outside of my eyesight.

I preferred it this way so I know she's hygienic and I know what she eats...yeah, am a bit paranoid.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 22:10   #1820
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 826
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Guys,

A stray kitten about 2-3 months old stays in my apartment and i feed him rice and milk, But i somehow feel that even though the kitten is hungry, He just drinks half the milk in his bowl and eats the rice very rarely, It seems like he's loosing weight and his tummy looks as if there is nothing inside.

I've seen him munching on a rat a few days back, Should i feed him something else or the milk that he drinks is enough?

Try feeding him Digyton syrup Himalaya Herbals Animal Care Products Online

Boil an egg everyday and mix small mashed pieces in his rice thrice a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
A Cat has given birth to a litter of kittens with assorted colors ! (Grey,golden and Black).
on my roof top lol!
Anyone in Bangalore Interested? :P

when I was about 7,we had a litter of kittens and a family friend took away one from their mum around 3 weeks. The poor thing simply starved itself to death out of sadness of separation. And the folks who took it simply watched it starve rather than return it back to its mum.

Please wait about 2 months before you separate them.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 19th March 2011 at 22:11.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 10:02   #1821
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 386
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Folks,
I have a 10 month old pug.
We need to travel to Trichy/Maurai/Trivandrum/kochi and Bangalore spread over 10 days in the next two months in 2 trips of 4 days each.
I do not see any pet friendly serviced apts in these locations.
I am also sceptical of the boarding centres as i was told that the pets are used illegally to cross etc......
Pls advice .

cheers.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 13:17   #1822
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 36 Times
Default 6 Stray dogs for adoption

There are 6 stray dogs available for adoption near my house. They are 2 months old now and are independent. Anybody interested please PM me for contact details.
I have tried calling Koramangala CUPA, however they seem to be not interested anymore in adoptions.
Cheers,
Anup
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 13:56   #1823
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
I have a 10 month old pug.
We need to travel to Trichy/Maurai/Trivandrum/kochi and Bangalore spread over 10 days in the next two months in 2 trips of 4 days each.
I do not see any pet friendly serviced apts in these locations.
I am also sceptical of the boarding centres as i was told that the pets are used illegally to cross etc......
Pls advice .

cheers.
Hi Pradeep,

i guess some one is taking you to a wrong direction.

no one will mate a pug which is just 10 months old. so dont worry leave it in a Kennel.

regards
suresh
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 10:51   #1824
BHPian
 
flyingkolors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Dear All,

Posting here one of the messages I saw this morning on my friends FB wall. Not sure of the genuineness but felt sad for the little pets.

Zarine Patel, a lady who looked after 135 dogs in Pune has died. DOGS are now LEFT with NO FOOD and just 3 volunteers doing all they can. Urgently need food, medicines, donations to get the dogs vaccinated and re-homed ASAP as the property will soon be taken over and dogs thrown out + need staff n volunteers. Contact ResQ at 9373888500
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 10:55   #1825
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,056
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

^^
PFA can probably help them out.
let me fish out the contact.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 11:06   #1826
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 561 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

My friend's pet was at my place for the weekend as he was out of station. She is a 4 months old Lab called Elsa. He is finding it difficult to keep her with him and he might find another home for her. The 2 days she spent with us taught me that I can not keep her as my flat does not have a balcony and its difficult for us to let her roam around in the house. In 2 days, she peed almost 17 times and I am really tired of it now.

If he decides to let her go, I will put the details so interested people can get in touch with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p4090202.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p4090211.jpg  

neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 11:32   #1827
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
My friend's pet was at my place for the weekend as he was out of station. She is a 4 months old Lab called Elsa. He is finding it difficult to keep her with him and he might find another home for her. The 2 days she spent with us taught me that I can not keep her as my flat does not have a balcony and its difficult for us to let her roam around in the house. In 2 days, she peed almost 17 times and I am really tired of it now.

If he decides to let her go, I will put the details so interested people can get in touch with me.
All dogs have to be trained for toilet, else you will end up like this. In our case, my wife took special care to put the dog on newspapers and he learnt in a couple of days that you pee only on the news papers. Slowly we moved the papers out to the garden, and he stopped peeing inside. After he got his first set of shots he was taken for walks thrice a day, and stopped peeing in the garden, except in emergency (when his walk is skipped or he drinks excessive water), but that is once or twice a year.

Im my opinion it is cruel to keep large dogs - Labradors, German Shepherds etc in small flats. These require a lot of room and exercise, so if you are in a flat you have to take them out for two-three km walks at least twice a day, else get a small dog.

Another problem is that dogs may create a havoc in the house if left alone for long time. This is mostly due to boredom and at time frustration. So in case there is no one in the house for along stretches of time, avoid keeping dogs.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 11:59   #1828
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 561 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
All dogs have to be trained for toilet, else you will end up like this. In our case, my wife took special care to put the dog on newspapers and he learnt in a couple of days that you pee only on the news papers. Slowly we moved the papers out to the garden, and he stopped peeing inside. After he got his first set of shots he was taken for walks thrice a day, and stopped peeing in the garden, except in emergency (when his walk is skipped or he drinks excessive water), but that is once or twice a year.

Im my opinion it is cruel to keep large dogs - Labradors, German Shepherds etc in small flats. These require a lot of room and exercise, so if you are in a flat you have to take them out for two-three km walks at least twice a day, else get a small dog.

Another problem is that dogs may create a havoc in the house if left alone for long time. This is mostly due to boredom and at time frustration. So in case there is no one in the house for along stretches of time, avoid keeping dogs.
I totally agree and that is why I have dropped this idea long time back. Elsa episode just made it crystal clear
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 12:29   #1829
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Hi All,

This Week, i was planning to go out of station due to some reasons and cant take my pet with me.

so usaully drops it in Yahsbans Kennels in Hennur.

but due to the heat (summer) i thought some one from TBHP will look after my pet(Lab) for 5 days.

but finally i have visited a kennel yesterday near KR puram.

and was very happy with the owner who is running the kennel.

the rooms are pretty good and clean and big, the kennel is in there 3 floors house, and ground floor stays the owner and 1st and 2nd floor the kennel is and each room will contain 2 partitions with Fan etc.

all the facilities are also quite good. and he charges 350 rs. per day.

i saw a Rotwiller which is one of the best doctors in Bangalore(not sure) but its very big around 80 to 90 Kilos. and very ferocious and they feed 4 times a day.

please ping me for the kennel details.

and this a almost a year old picture..
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc02941.jpg  

SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 14:33   #1830
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,735
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Name:  208514_215775658434588_125579624120859_915575_1681903_n.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  113.2 KB

Quote:
For Adoption

Breed : Dalmatian
Age : 5.5months approx.
Rescue Details: Three months ago, he was found abandoned near a local railway station. Severely compromised vis a vis health care. Rescued by a dog lover. Currently in a foster home.

He limps because of an untreated femur bone fracture. But loves going for long walks and runs crazy when you ask him to fetch his ball.
He is blind by one eye. But it does not stop him tracing ants and chasing them around the garden.
He is deaf but responds to sign language like 'hurry up' ,' 'speak' and also gives a high five!

He is very well behaved. Sensitive. Leash walking trained. Toilet Trained. Eats his fruits, veggies, dog food and home cooked food. Showers unconditional love.

For more:






Looking for a dog experienced home who can look beyond his disabilities. Please contact: Ganesh @ 9819380310 or Mili


From ANIMALS MATTER TO ME (MUMBAI)'s Photos - PLEASE ADOPT ME. Need a Place I can call HOME ! | Facebook
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks