Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd June 2011, 21:10   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

raihan, it is very hard to know how to deal with your cat intruder problem.

Mine could look after themselves, but they still got injured sometimes. It is particularly tough for the toms, because they are the most territorial. Trouble is, however domesticated our cats may be indoors, outside is the law of the jungle.

Some toms, though, go through a phase of being abject cowards and then suddenly change. My last male cat here used to hide under a chair while his sister ran outside to fight. One day he decided he'd had enough!

Another, in a very rough part of London (for cats and humans), would not go outside the front door. When he eventually did, he took over!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:17   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
... and the rest will be dead too unless u transfer to a proper aquarium with filteration.

Two mistakes :
1. fish bowl is torture chamber for its inhabitants. Imagine swimming in stagnant excreta.

2. Gold fish are bad starter fish. They eat and give output a lot, meaning they contaminate water pretty soon.

The only fish fit for a fish bowl is a lone betta.
Ah! a fish person (aquarist?is that the correct term?) finally!! we've all been distributing googl-gyan here. you can help us out. ps: What is a Betta?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:22   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
.. What is a Betta?
Betta = Siamese Fighting Fish = Betta Splendens

Surface breathing specimen, found natively in the shallow fields of East Asia.

Requires very less maintenance. Comes in attractive colours (males). Intelligent & aggressive

Just remember to put ONLY one male in a bowl, unless you are interested in blood sport.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 01:44   #1969
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I may have seen those in the local aquarium shop back in London. This place had a very good name and reputation, and everything was spotless, with all the fishes looking happy, and some of the big aquaria, with corals and stuff, looking like big-zoo standard ... but they had this small section of single fish, in really small pots, like just a few inches?

Very attractive, but otherwise, not that interesting!
Old 24th June 2011, 10:50   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
last week my wife bought a fish bowl with 4 gold fishes from internet (snap deal)..1 of the gold fish died today..does any one else here owns a fish bowl? what are the precautions to be taken to pet fishes in a bowl ?? we were changing the water regularly as told by the sales man..
Attachment 563607
Quote:
i am using water that we drink at home "aqua guard's"
Quote:
we kept 3 outta 4..1 was donated to my neighbor for their aquarium..out of 3, 1 died..now there are 2 in that fish bowl..what fish can I pet other than gold fish ?
BOWLS are best for FIGHTER FISHES (Rs 30-500) but as rightly mentioned by WindRide only one FIGHTERFISH per bowl. People usually buy a 4" bowl for FighterFish but I feel sad for such people & ofcourse the fish. Put another 50 bucks & you can buy a 6" bowl. I have been succesful in maintaining multiple FFs in single aquarium. When buying FF try to pick the ones who are living together in aquarium & not in those pathetic plastic packets. FF can live with another FF if is brought up in such environment.

I have been building aquariums & breeding fishes from last 10 years or so.
NEVER use aquaguard water OR in fact any TAP water directly into the bowl/tank. As suggested by some BHpians, let tap water sit for minimum three hours & then add this water to bowl/tank. Never change more than 30% of total amount of water. If you do so you destroy their eco system. You may choose to buy CHLORINE EVAPORATER (30ml bottle with crsytal clear liquid from Aqua shop Rs 50/-) to speed up the procees but NEVER add this liquid directly to Bowl/Tank that already have fish.
Its always advisable to buy a tank (LxBxH -18"x12"x18" should do for you). I suggest you to buy small (3"-4") KOI fishes (Orange/Red/White/Spotted) or bigger Guppies top go with your GF. But ensure NOT more than 4 fishes in this size tank. Choose fishes of same size or else bigger one will devour the smaller ones.
What you see on TV/Movies is Goldfishes brought from aquariums & put in bowl for the shooting scene duration ONLY. For upkeep of GF, most salient points have already been mentioned by our collegues so I'll not repeat them.
1. Buy a aquarium of size suggested.
2. Buy an airpump (Try few to pick one that is silent, this will help in night & not destroy your peace with constant resonance)
3. Ask for BLUE at Aqua shop & they will give you a 50 ml bottle of BLUE liquid. Add four drops to every one litre of water. Dont worry, the color will fade by evening. Do this every one month or immediately after changing water in tank. You can add BLUE with fishes in bowl/tank.
4. Keep TETRACYCLIN capsules at home. Read on Google & understand its use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
- The aquarium should be away from direct sunlight in Delhi
NEVER DO THAT. SUNLIGHT SPPEDS FORMATION OF ALGI WHICH CAN IN FACT BECOME POSIONOUS FOR FISH. ALSO YOU'LL THEN NEED TO CLEAN THE TANK EVERY MONTH.
- In winters a heater may be required. Most use a 40W bulb mounted on the lid, but if it gets below 15 degrees in the room a heater is a must.
AQUARIUM HEATERS ARE BEST. RS 250 IS ALL IT COSTS. RATHER FRAGILE TO HANDLE SO PLS ENSURE THAT YOU READ INSTRUCTIONS ON BOX CAREFULLY.
- Get the aquarium cleaned at least once a year.
OMG, ONE YEAR!! MAN YOU'LL BE CLEANING AN EMPTY AQUARIUM THEN. 3 MONTHS IS THE BEST TIME & AS I WROTE EARLIER DO NOT CHANGE MORE THAN 30% OF TOTAL WATER.

More information you will get from pet fish shops, preferably dedicated fish shop.
When it comes to fishes, one simple thumbrule is: Fishes are LAZY & do not like frequent changes. Also they are prone to various diseases which can baffle a starter, even I find myself in tight spot many a times.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 24th June 2011 at 10:55.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 10:58   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
BOWLS are best for FIGHTER FISHES (Rs 30-500) but as rightly mentioned by WindRide only one FIGHTERFISH per bowl. People usually buy a 4" bowl for FighterFish but I feel sad for such people & ofcourse the fish.

Raab Rakha.
This is a 10"bowl bro..ill sure buy Betta fish as suggested by a fellow tbhp-ian
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 11:26   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a 10"bowl bro..ill sure buy Betta fish as suggested by a fellow tbhp-ian
Nick: My comments are in GENERAL. I saw the pic your posted. In fact you would be offering a HUGE place for single FF Betta in 10" bowl. If you are brave enough then here's a suggestion:
When you see your male Betta making water bubble nest at the water level, DO NOT break them. Go buy a FEMALE Betta (Females do not have those beautiful huge fintails like males, something like peacocks) & put her in bowl for 2-3 days. Then shift MALE to seperate bowl. If the female bloats within one week that means they copulated & you are on your way to become fish godfather. She will ballon to almost tearing propostions & one fine day you'll see dozen or so micro specks floating away in water. Now remove Female & bring back Male. Female Betta do NOT care for their kids & usually eat them away. Father will delicately shift these tiny specks in those bubble nest that he had created. Soon enough you'll have ARMY of your own FF's. THIS IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE SO, Patiance is virtue here OR in fact EVERYWHERE.

Raab Rakha.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:39   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Nick: My comments are in GENERAL. I saw the pic your posted. In fact you would be offering a HUGE place for single FF Betta in 10" bowl. If you are brave enough then here's a suggestion:
When you see your male Betta making water bubble nest at the water level, DO NOT break them. Go buy a FEMALE Betta (Females do not have those beautiful huge fintails like males, something like peacocks) & put her in bowl for 2-3 days. Then shift MALE to seperate bowl. If the female bloats within one week that means they copulated & you are on your way to become fish godfather. She will ballon to almost tearing propostions & one fine day you'll see dozen or so micro specks floating away in water. Now remove Female & bring back Male. Female Betta do NOT care for their kids & usually eat them away. Father will delicately shift these tiny specks in those bubble nest that he had created. Soon enough you'll have ARMY of your own FF's. THIS IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE SO, Patiance is virtue here OR in fact EVERYWHERE.

Raab Rakha.
lol..thanks for the suggestions bro..i see that you have detailed knowledge about fishes, Betta is good, can you suggest a few more names of fishes those can survive happily in a bowl? i am planning to keep atleast 4 , no issues if small fishes, here..is it a good idea of will it be just a death trap for those cute lil fishes?
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 11:57   #1974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lol..thanks for the suggestions bro..i see that you have detailed knowledge about fishes, Betta is good, can you suggest a few more names of fishes those can survive happily in a bowl? i am planning to keep atleast 4 , no issues if small fishes, here..is it a good idea of will it be just a death trap for those cute lil fishes?
For 10" bowl: Remove Goldfishes to alternate tank & clean the bowl thoroughly (NEVER EVER USE SOAP or SOAPY HANDS, its POISON for fish) with soft clean sponge under running water. Fill the gravel & water from tap & leave the bowl like that for ONE day.
Now buy 5 pairs of small guppies (2-3 cms length), OR three pairs of larger guppies (4-5 cms length). They are multi-colored fast moving fishes & love playing around. In fact very very lively fishes.
Buy that BLUE liquid & add to water & THE AIR PUMP.
Sit back & enjoy, If you care enough, they will multiply like rabbits & you'll love every moment of it. Change one glass of drinking water every week. In such case no need to add BLUE at every change, do it once a a month.
PM me for more details.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 24th June 2011 at 12:03.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:58   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
....Very attractive, but otherwise, not that interesting!
Betta is a born-lazy fellow. Infact you might mistakenly think your betta is dead since it doesn't move around much.

But keep a mirror outside the bowl and make the betta see its own reflection - things turn immediately interesting.
Just like when a peacock spreads its feathers after a rain.

I often compare my betta to an F-18 Super Hornet when it charges the side of the bowl towards the mirror angrily.

Btw, does your handle (Thad E Ginathom) have anything to do with the tala made while performing bharata natyam dance? usually the dance teachers of chennai go "tha thai tha thai.. thada ginathom ... "

Last edited by WindRide : 24th June 2011 at 15:10.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:06   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
erm....you havent mentioned the goldfish in sometime, and are looking to buy a betta?
what happened?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 15:36   #1977

Quote:
we kept 3 outta 4..1 was donated to my neighbor for their aquarium..out of 3, 1 died..now there are 2 in that fish bowl..what fish can I pet other than gold fish ?
Nick,
Fish bowl is generally not advisable as it doesn't offer much space for the fish to move around.. As suggested by others, better to get a small tank..

Along with gold fish, you could have guppies or black gold - they co-exist happily and it also looks good along with gold...

For water, I follow this method.. Using a simple river sand filter.. Water in my area have more TDS.. so to reduce TDS to an extent, I use a sieved sands washed multiple times in a Pet bottle with cotton cloth tied on the other end..

Hope this helps.
asbalaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 15:46   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
..... can you suggest a few more names of fishes those can survive happily in a bowl?...
As i said earlier, putting any other fish, other than a lone betta, in a fish bowl amounts to cruelty. Throw away that fish bowl and get yourself a proper aquarium if you are seriously into fish-keeping. Remember these are living beings, not toys.

A gold fish lives happily in a fish bowl only in hollywood movies.

A betta can survive even in a coffee mug without any complaints (why? because it can breath oxygen directly from air above water surface) , but please don't do it.

Last edited by WindRide : 24th June 2011 at 15:51.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:48   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

The comments and instructions about the fish are fascinating.

Yes, WindRide, my name has its origins in konnakol and is intended to occupy seven akshira.
Old 24th June 2011, 16:09   #1980
BHPian

@nik17

I would suggest you go through www.indianaquariumhobbyist.com before buying any more fish. It will save you time and money, most importantly your pets life.

Keeping fishes is fun if you know what you are keeping, research about them in the net before buying. Avoid impulsive buying of fishes, get to know what is the adult size of the fish and whether it is compatible with your existing fishes before buying one, as incompatible species will make one sad tank and you wouldn't want a KOI in your fish tank(they can grow up to 3 feet in length).

As suggested by others, if you have the space go for the largest tank that you can afford, with good glass thickness(will make it less prone to breakage and children proof) It will be less taxing on the inmates as due to the large volume of the water column, changes will not be very drastic, so rise in temp/drop in temp will be gradual and minimal compared to the smaller sized tanks.
Other reason is that maintaining glass bowls is a nightmare, they have a very delicate base, which is more prone to cracks if not placed properly.

Get a good filter, internal / external based on your budget and the tank size.

A hood for your tank if you plan to light up your tank/ have some species prone to jumping.

Cycle your tank based on the size. Cycling is a process of building beneficial bacterial column in the filter media and substrate which will breakdown the nitrite/ammonia from the fish excreta, to the more stable and less harmful nitrate form. If you don't allow a tank to cycle, you encounter what is commonly known as "New Tank Syndrome", where the water turns a bit murky like adding a bit of milk and the fishes start dying one by one. This is due to excessive ammonia buildup. If you have too many fishes in a new tank , there won't be enough or no bacteria buildup to handle the waste and the water turns toxic.

Cycling can be done with some hardy fishes introduced to your tank for the required period and one the tank stabilizes introduce the fishes you want to have. You can speed up the process by adding beneficial bacteria solutions available off the shelf in aquarium stores, but make sure that they are well kept, as extreme temperatures will kill the bacteria.

If you want to de-chlorinate the tap water, leave it in a bucket aerate it, it will fasten up the process.

When changing water, don’t empty the tank fully of the old water. Switch off the electrical accessories, scrub off the tank walls and let the murky water to settle down a bit, then siphon out the waste along with the water till the water level comes to half of the tank. Then fill the tank with the ages water(the water that you have dechorinated).
Clean the filter media only if required and that too with the old water only. But clean up the mechanical parts for smooth operation of filter.

Never add any medicines to the tank, even when changing the water as they will kill the beneficial bacteria and you would need to cycle the tank again.
In case if any of your fishes is infected quarantine it and then treat it with the appropriate medicine.

Fishes to avoid initially: Don't go for KOI carps, Iridescent sharks, Gold fishes, Oscars or the hybrid Flower horns. These fishes will grow large and will require lot of food and powerful filters to keep the tank clean. It will be difficult for you to maintain.

You can start of with the Guppies / Platties where the males are colorful and females bigger than the males. Get them in the ratio of minimum 2 females / 1 male. This will keep the males busy, will avoid fights between males and stressing of females.

All the above is just my suggestion, I have killed my share of fishes in the 17 years that I have been in this hobby. I have had my tantrums of multi tank syndromes where I had filled my kitchen and hall with tanks, buckets, tubs, bottles and what not with fishes and before returning to more saner levels.

This is a wonderful hobby, you will enjoy it if you can hold off your initial excitement with a little bit patience and take informed decisions.

The forum that I have mentioned is very good, in fact their annual meeting "Aquatika" is happening here at Chennai this year on Sunday(26th June). Last year it was held in Delhi. You can network with the forum members to get to know about the best local fish stores and fishes.

Happy fish keeping .

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th June 2011 at 12:43. Reason: Removed Tags. Please remove tags from your post before submitting. Thanks
RajeswaranK7 is offline   Reply With Quote