Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th August 2011, 19:40   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Default SOS! How to save the kitten?

Two weeks back, a cat gave birth to five kittens in our home. The cat keeps the kittens shifting in various places inside the house, like cupboards, staircase etc.

Our staircase to first floor is closed because another family lives in the first floor. So we keep all the cartons (of fridge, TV etc) there with some other stuff that we want to dispose off. The cat shifted the kittens to the top of the staircase two days back.

Unfortunately, one of the kittens has fallen down from there to the floor - it is a 4 meters fall. The kitten is alive but can't properly move its legs and it is not able to walk. Seemed to have fallen with hit hitting the hard floor.

The mother cat did not even care to pick up that kitten, so I picked it up, and put it with other kittens. the area is kind of inaccessible to me. The kitten is crying at the top of its voice and we are not sure whether it is able to drink mother's milk or not. I think its legs are paralyzed due to the big fall.

What to do in this situation? Can we feed that kitten with some cow's milk? I think the chances of its survival is minimal.

Here's a picture taken right after birth. It is that brown one (rightmost) which has fallen down.
Name:  C360_20110803 204504_edit0.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  81.1 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 12th August 2011 at 19:42.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 20:43   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SOS! How to save the kitten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Unfortunately, one of the kittens has fallen down from there to the floor - it is a 4 meters fall. The kitten is alive but can't properly move its legs and it is not able to walk. Seemed to have fallen with hit hitting the hard floor.

The mother cat did not even care to pick up that kitten, so I picked it up, and put it with other kittens. the area is kind of inaccessible to me. The kitten is crying at the top of its voice and we are not sure whether it is able to drink mother's milk or not. I think its legs are paralyzed due to the big fall.

What to do in this situation? Can we feed that kitten with some cow's milk? I think the chances of its survival is minimal.

Here's a picture taken right after birth. It is that brown one (rightmost) which has fallen down.
Put the kitten up with the cat. If she refuses to feed it - too bad. Such small kittens cannot lap up milk and you have to feed it with a fortified cat milk formula (or full cream cow milk - if such a thing is available in the market) with a cotton ball (like the ones we put in a diya) - do not attempt that if you are not comfortable or sure. Kittens do suffer huge falls and be fine. If it screams after 2-3 days - the best you can do is take it to a vet.

2 kittens in my house (where the cats always give birth on the terrace) fell from the 2nd floor terrace to the ground - hitting the lintel and a small tree on the way (they were a little bigger than the ones in your picture), squealed for a few hours, screamed even if we touched them, and refused to eat/drink for 2-3 days. One had a problem in a rear leg, and another one had a pain in its nose. We gave them a safe and warm corner and I do not know how - they recovered themselves.

As for the cat not picking up the fallen kitten - its the rule of the jungle. Weak ones die, and it is hardwired onto the cats brain that the effort she has to put in to save 1 kitten might jeopardize the ones she already has in her clutch.

Last edited by blackasta : 12th August 2011 at 20:44.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 20:48   #2118
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Wen he became allergic, he was hardly eating anything. barely a couple of months old and totally out of nutrition. He was on saline dips for 3 to 4 weeks continuously. Used to sleep on my bean bag and then shiver a lot. After the saline dips, he somehow picked up strength. Doc told us to leave hopes on him, that is when i called up a vet in delhi (who handled such cases and i got his contact on net) who guided the blr vet in some medication and now its a thing of past !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
0. Vet Visits
Every three months as per schedule of the Vet. Shots include rabies, Distemper, De worming and a few other.
Our Vet has given a printed card, where he sticks the vaccine labels. That forms a document and proof of shots take, necessary if you want to take pets abroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
In my opinion, you could keep your choice down to Lab/ GSD from what you mentioned.

Regarding your questions, a golden retriever (large 32+kg) owner speaking here. I'll answer them
Krishna, Aroy, Karthik; thank you all for the wonderful tips. It did help a novice like me and gave me a general idea on how things are going to be and how it should be done. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
There's good stuff on ebay.in.
spend about 1200 bucks,youll get tested stuff.
Choices is limited on ebay.in. Either its a buy from USA option or the seller rating aint not good. I checked in ebay for my new 'yet to come' buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Well said

Going OT but; been to Suresh aka Cammamder Kennel ( yah the spelling is wrong). I was very very impressed at how clean his house was; no smell, nothing. He has GD, Rotts,Pugs, etc at his house and his Rott was sitting with me on the sofa, still!
Yes his home didn't smell like a doghouse! The other day the same Rott (Pammy is her name ) was leaning on top of my cousin, very friendly she is.

Quote:

Feeling very sad reading this, feeling so sorry for him. You can try giving him cows milk. Get him checked up by a vet (@ PMG Govt Vet Hospital) if its possible. If his legs are paralysed (i sincerely wish that its not permanent) it'll be really hard for him to live without human assistance even if he survives. Poor thing.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 21:09   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
As for the cat not picking up the fallen kitten - its the rule of the jungle. Weak ones die, and it is hardwired onto the cats brain that the effort she has to put in to save 1 kitten might jeopardize the ones she already has in her clutch.
Thanks blackasta. The kitten seems to be in a paralyzed state. It tried to move its head and wake up but it could not. All it does is crying out loud. Its hard to watch, wouldn't have been this bad if it just died instantly.

The mother cat is picking it up but unable to feed since it cannot move. we are trying to clear that area of the staircase - which has turned into our attic(!) - to give them a nice space there.

I hope it survives. Its only a hope. The kitten's body temperature has already reduced.

Thanks Sankar, will check the possibility of taking it to the vet if it is still alive tomorrow morning.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th August 2011 at 21:11.
Old 12th August 2011, 21:22   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks blackasta. The kitten seems to be in a paralyzed state. It tried to move its head and wake up but it could not. All it does is crying out loud. Its hard to watch, wouldn't have been this bad if it just died instantly.

The mother cat is picking it up but unable to feed since it cannot move. we are trying to clear that area of the staircase - which has turned into our attic(!) - to give them a nice space there.

I hope it survives. Its only a hope. The kitten's body temperature has already reduced.

Thanks Sankar, will check the possibility of taking it to the vet if it is still alive tomorrow morning.
As cruel as it may sound, and please help God that I am wrong, the most humane way to end this is to get a vet and put that kitten to sleep. The symptoms you state are not very encouraging - and point that the kitten is badly hurt on the neck or spinal cord. Please do not misunderstand my words - I am pro life. But it is very difficult to endure the pain a speechless animal is suffering.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 21:39   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
As cruel as it may sound, and please help God that I am wrong, the most humane way to end this is to get a vet and put that kitten to sleep. The symptoms you state are not very encouraging - and point that the kitten is badly hurt on the neck or spinal cord. Please do not misunderstand my words - I am pro life. But it is very difficult to endure the pain a speechless animal is suffering.
Agree with you. can't stand the pain the poor thing is suffering.

I just tried to feed it with milk using the diya method you suggested. I had done the same years back as well.

The cat is not responding very much. It gulped the milk three or four times. that's all.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-c360_20110812-212446.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-c360_20110812-212503.jpg
Old 12th August 2011, 22:34   #2122
Distinguished - BHPian

That is so sad.

A rural family would solve the problem with a bucket of water. No, I couldn't do that either. A vet will, in the first place, give a straightforward opinion as to any chances of recovery, but it looks bleak. A paralysed cat cannot have any life worth living
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 23:13   #2123
BHPian

Dear max, it hurts to see the kitten in this shape. But, lets do our part. Please do cover it up with some small cotton blanket so as to retain its body temperature. And, I would suggest you to dilute the cow's milk a bit (not sure about this as I only know the human management).Keep a small bottle of luke warm water to its side so as to soothe him. I don't know what will happen tomorrow. But, it really hurts.
drdeepudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 23:49   #2124
Senior - BHPian

The kitten is still in the same shape. Just fed it once more, it drank some milk somehow.
Mother cat is licking it left and right. May be due to the milk smell after my feeding session.
Old 13th August 2011, 07:34   #2125
BHPian

Guys,this my close and extremely loyal friend.
He goes by the name "Bonzo".This was him seven months ago but now he has grown tall.
Note:-He might not get a medal for "the most macho looking dog" but he certainly bites like a rottweiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image0667.jpg  

Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 08:17   #2126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
we are trying to clear that area of the staircase - which has turned into our attic(!) - to give them a nice space there.
If you clear the space, the cat will think the area is no longer safe & will search for another place. It needs to "hide" it's brood for some more time. Suggest you wait before you clear that space
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 08:38   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
The kitten is still in the same shape. Just fed it once more, it drank some milk somehow.
Mother cat is licking it left and right. May be due to the milk smell after my feeding session.
Update: Kitten died sometime yesterday night. I buried it myself just now. Thanks once again for your inputs.
Old 13th August 2011, 09:07   #2128
BHPian

Name : Here is Mine, "Aslan | The killer"
What : A Great Dane

Name:  untitled1.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  70.0 KB
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 09:17   #2129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update: Kitten died sometime yesterday night. I buried it myself just now. Thanks once again for your inputs.
you did what you could mate; it just wasn't meant to be. it is so difficult when they leave us; i can understand how you must feel. i'm in tears as i type this!

may its soul rest in peace.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 10:03   #2130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You did what you could man. Be happy that the kitten didn't have to suffer too much and went away in peace while being cared for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Anyone knows where I can get some good nylon (no leather) HARNESS for dogs in Chennai? I want to let our current lab pups to be free-roaming, and use the harness to take them out.
Not in Chennai but i found these two online pet stuff stores which looks reliable.

Dogs India, Training, Food, Supplies, Dogs & Puppies in India, Breeds, Grooming, Kennel, Dog Spot for all your Dog's Needs, DogSpot

Pet Club India
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote