Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th August 2011, 16:01   #2131
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Great looking dogs!

Sorry to hear about the kitten, but glad that nature took its course, and that horrible decision did not have to be made. Try to provide the cat with a box or cupboard where she can feel at home and undisturbed. Put something soft in it, or at least some newspaper. She may take the hint, or she may not.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 06:14   #2132
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The AWS picture i forgot to attach.Team-BHPians and their Pets-aws.jpg
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 11:54   #2133
Senior - BHPian

This is my cousin's pet. Strangest dog i have ever seen. A sweetheart she is.
Attached Images

Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 13:44   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
This is my cousin's pet. Strangest dog i have ever seen. A sweetheart she is.
its a komondor, very rare, youll only be able to buy the, and for big bucks at that too.
Share more, if possible?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 15:11   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
its a komondor, very rare, youll only be able to buy the, and for big bucks at that too.
Share more, if possible?
Here are couple of snaps of the her.
Attached Images

Last edited by Unknownsatan : 16th August 2011 at 15:29.
Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 15:14   #2136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Here are couple of snaps of the same.

she's such a rug!!

very pretty too!
Old 16th August 2011, 15:38   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Update: Kitten died sometime yesterday night. I buried it myself just now. Thanks once again for your inputs.

CleverMax

Sorry to read about the suffering of a just born little one. My appreciation for all the emotional pain you put up with all these days, and your attempt to help him.

RIP poor little Kitty.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 16:04   #2138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
you did what you could mate; it just wasn't meant to be. it is so difficult when they leave us; i can understand how you must feel. i'm in tears as i type this!
may its soul rest in peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You did what you could man. Be happy that the kitten didn't have to suffer too much and went away in peace while being cared for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Great looking dogs!
Sorry to hear about the kitten, but glad that nature took its course, and that horrible decision did not have to be made. Try to provide the cat with a box or cupboard where she can feel at home and undisturbed. Put something soft in it, or at least some newspaper. She may take the hint, or she may not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
CleverMax
Sorry to read about the suffering of a just born little one. My appreciation for all the emotional pain you put up with all these days, and your attempt to help him.
RIP poor little Kitty.
--Ragul
Thanks for these posts friends - reading these made my heart lighter. rest of the band (4 kittens) are healthy and still in our stairs. We didn't clear the space too much so the cat didn't move the kittens to a risky area. Few months back, the same cat was keeping her newborns in our outhouse and another cat came and just ate the heads of all kittens! This time around, I am not going to let that happen.

Having said that, I don't plan to let these cats stay in our home for long. I've got a little daughter and I am afraid of cats injuring her. Any takers for one of these cute little ones in and around Trivandrum? I'll be happy to deliver one to your doorsteps.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th August 2011 at 16:11.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 16:41   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
another cat came and just ate the heads of all kittens!
That could be a tom cat. The local alpha male. Its a lesson in territorial dynamics and preserving gene pool consistency by nature.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 17:16   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Having said that, I don't plan to let these cats stay in our home for long. I've got a little daughter and I am afraid of cats injuring her. Any takers for one of these cute little ones in and around Trivandrum? I'll be happy to deliver one to your doorsteps.
The cats will NEVER harm anyone if you get them habituated with people. They aren't tigers.

Take them to CUPA and have them all an injection for rabies and the like. If you cut their nails regularly - they wont even scratch.

I treat mine like a squeezy toy now.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 17:20   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That could be a tom cat. The local alpha male. Its a lesson in territorial dynamics and preserving gene pool consistency by nature.
Yes it was a tomcat. Probably the father of those kittens. I saw it running out through the open door of the outhouse, I ran inside only to see the lifeless bodies of 4 kittens which were playing with each other an hour ago.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 17:51   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was a tomcat. Probably the father of those kittens. I saw it running out through the open door of the outhouse, I ran inside only to see the lifeless bodies of 4 kittens which were playing with each other an hour ago.
I don't think it could be its father as only a rival male tries to kill the kittens of their rival males to maintain its own gene pool and so that the female would get into heat once again.

Correct me if I am wrong.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 01:11   #2143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Having said that, I don't plan to let these cats stay in our home for long. I've got a little daughter and I am afraid of cats injuring her.
Very, very unlikely. Minor surface scratches on the hands are par for the course if playing. A cat will only lash out, or bite to hurt, if it is frightened or attacked or cornered. It should not feel threatened by family members anyway.

It will be a valuable lesson for your children to grow with the cats, and if it includes the odd tear at a small scratch, that is no big deal. You will notice that kittens play-fight. When it goes too far, the "looser" will make the right noises, and the "winner" will let go. You and the children can make the same noises: it works!

If you surprise an animal, eg in deep sleep, it can lash out. I learnt the painful way to always speak to my sleeping cat before touching.

Encourage your daughter to respect the cats as beings, not to treat them as mere toys or playthings. It will be a great lesson, and very satisfying for her. Of course, there will be tears as they die or are lost, but that is also another kind of lesson too.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 02:10   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very, very unlikely. Minor surface scratches on the hands are par for the course if playing. A cat will only lash out, or bite to hurt, if it is frightened or attacked or cornered. It should not feel threatened by family members anyway.

It will be a valuable lesson for your children to grow with the cats, and if it includes the odd tear at a small scratch, that is no big deal. You will notice that kittens play-fight. When it goes too far, the "looser" will make the right noises, and the "winner" will let go. You and the children can make the same noises: it works!

If you surprise an animal, eg in deep sleep, it can lash out. I learnt the painful way to always speak to my sleeping cat before touching.

Encourage your daughter to respect the cats as beings, not to treat them as mere toys or playthings. It will be a great lesson, and very satisfying for her. Of course, there will be tears as they die or are lost, but that is also another kind of lesson too.
Absolutely. Children growing up with pets around are generally more tolerant and shall not engage in destructive behavior. I have a friend where kids in her house refer to the house cat / dog as siblings, not pets. Also, as the cat does not object with you being around the litter and handling them, she is pretty much ok and has accepted you. I bet it shall be very difficult to get a vicious scratch/bite from the kittens.

And the lessons they teach are invaluable. I speak from my own experience.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 10:47   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is your prerogative.
If you're afraid they may hurt your children, then its your duty in fact, even if just for your own peace of mind.
Just 2 things.
one, you have already said, youll deliver them at the doorstep of potential owners.
Just make sure they arent ones who may feel they dont want them at a later date, and may not be as responsible as you in giving them away.

two, a pet for a child is an experience like no other.
My nephew used to go white in the face when he met my dogs the first time, or saw the virtually domesticated crows, and seven sisters and what not.
He's been snapped at by the dogs, and an occasional nibble, but he seems to take it as par for the course, cos now when he comes home, he gets panicky if they dont come to the door when the bell rings......

Just saying.
But do your bit.
I wouldnt want anything in MY house if i saw even a 0.0000001 % threat to anyone in my house.

Cheerios!