Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th August 2011, 23:12   #2161
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

OT:

Another email scam this time using pets-

I have been on the net looking for adoption of puppies. I found quite few on Quikr and responded to the posters. All the replies received were from Cameroon. It appears Cameroon is the hot destination for breeders of English bulldogs, Siberian huskies etc . Best part is these ads are on your locality page of Quikr. Appears all the email scams originate from Africa

Just sharing this info ...... if it is not new ....
bbops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 23:27   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is an amazing story of a cat and man getting to know one another.

She is certainly determined that she is going to get to know you. Consider yourself chosen!
Heh
I am not flattered. This cat has the wild undomesticated look that comes from not bonding with humans in childhood. Similar to the savage looks seen in the eyes of Lions and Tigers, but not quite. You will notice I make a deliberate effort in referring to "it" rather than "she".

Looking forwards to grooming the kittens to live more in the human realm of existence though.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 19th August 2011 at 23:29.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 00:05   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Heh
I am not flattered. This cat has the wild undomesticated look that comes from not bonding with humans in childhood. Similar to the savage looks seen in the eyes of Lions and Tigers, but not quite. You will notice I make a deliberate effort in referring to "it" rather than "she".

Looking forwards to grooming the kittens to live more in the human realm of existence though.

--Ragul
Same story has been repeated in my house for quite a few times - feral comes home to give birth, stays on with the kittens.
The feral ones shall retain a bit of distrust till the last day, but shall be quite content to leave the kittens with humans. The kittens, getting human company from day 1, shall be a different story. But they shall lack a few skills to fight it out in the wild, learn a few tricks to please you and shall choose the easy way be dependent on you.

The first cat in this post was a feral: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2442228 (Team-BHPians and their Pets)
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 11:20   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Same story has been repeated in my house for quite a few times - feral comes home to give birth, stays on with the kittens.
The feral ones shall retain a bit of distrust till the last day, but shall be quite content to leave the kittens with humans. The kittens, getting human company from day 1, shall be a different story. But they shall lack a few skills to fight it out in the wild, learn a few tricks to please you and shall choose the easy way be dependent on you.

The first cat in this post was a feral: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2442228 (Team-BHPians and their Pets)

Yep. I remember reading that post. A really cute bunch of kittie's. Are they fully grown up now?

One thing I have always been very careful to do since I was a kid (and without instruction) is to always leave my cat a little hungry. Sometimes I have ended up been a little too hard on them (my mistake) and seen genuine dejection in their eyes - like humans. I make sure they never remain pampered house cats and go around the neighbourhood hunting and foraging. This gives me immense peace of mind that If I were to travel for a whole month with the house locked up, they would have a set number of alternative locations to feed from and survive on their own.

I can't imagine cats living in high-rise apartments never climbing trees never hunting mice and only living on your charity. I would rather not keep a cat than deny them their own nature.

This cat even remembered the exact time I chased it out the night before and automatically became apprehensive and slunk away even though I was quiet comfortable letting it stay last night. For a feral cat it is quite clean robust and healthy looking one though. I think this is its first pregnancy and behaving cranky as a result, not being used to the changes within.

Last edited by Ragul : 20th August 2011 at 11:25.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 11:32   #2165
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree with all you guys. My cat's like family and she comes with us everywhere. She's a baby who hasn't grown up ever. Even though I got her first, I dare say my family prefers her over me if asked to make a choice!
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 13:18   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yes i did consider them, and they have a sweet temparament i believe. But i realised that they will grow up to become too huge for our home. Thats why i didn't list it as an option.

He's still a puppy isn't it, can see mischief in his eyes What did you do when Tiger was allergic to vaccines, were there any alternatives? How do you excercise this guy?

Guys a few questions
How do you excercise your large dogs daily?
Do you take them out for walks or let it roam around on its own during the excercise hour?
Do you train them not to pull on the leash while on daily walks?
Do breeds like Rott, Boxer, GSD, Lab, Dob etc behave well during walks?
How should one plan a diet for these types of dogs, if not going for packed dog food?
How many days per week should i include meat in the diet and what kind of meat?

I'll ask the breeder these questions but would like to know first hand from TBHPian dog owners too.
Hi Sankar,
Did you buy you puppy finally? I saw this post late. I have a rottie at home. It is quite demanding and very lovable.Requires around 2 hours of our time daily with him. Mine is not aggressive unless he finds someone a threat to us. As you mentioned parents at home, I would recommend you to be a bit careful as my rottie is too playful with my mother. At times it is a bit too much for her as he thinks they are of the same age and energy .
I will go on babbling about my rottie a lot, I absolutely love him. Let me know if you need more info.
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 15:05   #2167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Hi Sankar,
Did you buy you puppy finally? I saw this post late. I have a rottie at home. It is quite demanding and very lovable.Requires around 2 hours of our time daily with him. Mine is not aggressive unless he finds someone a threat to us. As you mentioned parents at home, I would recommend you to be a bit careful as my rottie is too playful with my mother. At times it is a bit too much for her as he thinks they are of the same age and energy .
I will go on babbling about my rottie a lot, I absolutely love him. Let me know if you need more info.
Hi 999, Yes! I booked a Rottweiler puppy finally, will get him in a months time probably. I thought about buying other breeds but decided to go with my long term desire of owning a Rottie! Rottie is a responsibility and i have decided to spend enough time with him as possible to bring him up as a good boy. I bought couple of doggy books and one is about training a Rottie, got to implement it when i get him How old is your Rottie and what is his name? Did you train him or get anyone else to do it for you? How're his feeding habits?

Please upload a pic of your Rottie
Sent you a PM.

Last edited by Sankar : 20th August 2011 at 15:11.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 15:34   #2168
BHPian

Talking Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Hi 999, Yes! I booked a Rottweiler puppy finally, will get him in a months time probably. I thought about buying other breeds but decided to go with my long term desire of owning a Rottie! Rottie is a responsibility and i have decided to spend enough time with him as possible to bring him up as a good boy. I bought couple of doggy books and one is about training a Rottie, got to implement it when i get him How old is your Rottie and what is his name? Did you train him or get anyone else to do it for you? How're his feeding habits?
My rottie, rocky, is now 2 years old. To be honest, I trained him on my own, in my way. He was brought up with the family for the first year, he was always inside the house. Potty training was a bit of a pain initially, but he is very intelligent. As many people say,sound is a very good tool against a rottie. When I talk to him loudly and sternly, he knows he did something wrong. In a couple of days, he knew that he need to pee outside. He used to go out on his own if the door is open or used to make a particular dog whine when he needs to go. He tries the dominance game every now and then checking who is the alpha dog. You have to have a stern hand with him and he should know what is his limits. Never give in a bit, I warn you. If you do, he will take it granted and will bark at your face when you ask him not to do it the next time .
For food, he was quite homely. He has his own diet. A little bowl of pedigree in the morning, breakfast around 10 (Normally appam (4 nos, he loves it or something similar)+300 ml of milk, . A nice lunch in the afternoon (VEG, he prefers to take meat as just meat not mixed with anything). Then dinner at around 8pm. 6-8 fish at night (yes he likes it only at night). I occasionally buy him treats (pseudo bones and dog chews). He loves sweets, oranges, though I tend to restrict on sweets. I buy him chicken when ever I eat outside. I really feel bad nowadays when I eat without buying for him.
For dog accessories, there is a nice shop on the way to plamood from PMG. It is next to the bike showroom on the left side. I am using a herbal shampoo, erina plus from himalaya pharma, as a protection form fleas and ticks.
I was single when I brought him, he was jealous with my wife initially and used to push her off to seat next to me initially, now he sort of adjusted. When I am away from home, he obeys my wife and when he gets a wind of me coming back, things change. He is not so obedient anymore.

He can almost understand whatever we talk. For example, once he was sitting next to me in the steps and my mother told me to chain him up and I said ok. I turn around and see him standing 30 feet away from me.
He wants to play for most of the time, eager to impress and extremely protective. Nobody even playfully fight with me nowadays. If they do they hear a mouthful from him and if loose, a fair treatment from my dog.

Did I talk too much? I think I did. I was in the same dilemma of buying a rottie 2 years back. I never regretted my decision. But be aware that he is not very friendly with kids and other animals who he think can cut his share of affection. Also he is a very strong dog. You can count on him as a companion for life.
PS: My wife is equally jealous of the dog as the dog is of her.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th August 2011 at 18:16. Reason: Removing extra smiley. Pls. restrict smileys to 2 per post. Thanks.
Old 20th August 2011, 15:48   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a rottie at home. It is quite demanding and very lovable.Requires around 2 hours of our time daily with him. Mine is not aggressive unless he finds someone a threat to us.
Quote:
They are really handsome, well-built dogs with that "don't mess with me" look. They give a kind of piercing stare which can make anyone shiver!
Please do upload a few pics of your rottweiler, would love to see him
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 16:11   #2170
BHPian

Smile Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:

Please upload a pic of your Rottie
Sent you a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Please do upload a few pics of your rottweiler, would love to see him
Hi Shankar, replied to PM,
karthik and shankar,I am uploading a few pics of my rocky. It was taken around 3 months ago. And forgot to mention that, he takes nearly 2 years to behave like mature dog, very playful.
He just broke another chain. He is on his 5th chain now.
Name:  rocky1.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  49.4 KB
Taken when he was around a year old, just after a bath asking me to free him.
Name:  rocky2.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  82.1 KB
After a round of play and drinking water, asking me what is next
Name:  rocky3.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  56.6 KB
He found a stray cocunut leaf in the compound and dragged it all the way to home to munch on it
Name:  rocky4.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  101.2 KB
Old 20th August 2011, 16:27   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he takes nearly 2 years to behave like mature dog, very playful.
Nice pics 999, their adolescence extends to almost 3 years so enjoy his antics while they last

Quote:
He looks handsome and muscular. You are definitely in safe hands with this macho guy! He looks awesome

Quote:
He found a stray cocunut leaf in the compound and dragged it all the way to home to munch on it
Oh my god! That is really heavy duty stuff! That coconut leaf weighs at least 15-20 kg You can send a video of that to Animal planet's "planet's funniest animals" tv show. *LoL*
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 17:30   #2172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My rottie, rocky, is now 2 years old. To be honest, I trained him on my own, in my way. He was brought up with the family for the first year, he was always inside the house. Potty training was a bit of a pain initially, but he is very intelligent. As many people say,sound is a very good tool against a rottie. When I talk to him loudly and sternly, he knows he did something wrong. In a couple of days, he knew that he need to pee outside. He used to go out on his own if the door is open or used to make a particular dog whine when he needs to go. He tries the dominance game every now and then checking who is the alpha dog. You have to have a stern hand with him and he should know what is his limits. Never give in a bit, I warn you. If you do, he will take it granted and will bark at your face when you ask him not to do it the next time .
Yes i was warned of the dominance check they usually do, i will keep myself firm and set the limits for as long as it takes.

Quote:
For food, he was quite homely. He has his own diet. A little bowl of pedigree in the morning, breakfast around 10 (Normally appam (4 nos, he loves it or something similar)+300 ml of milk, . A nice lunch in the afternoon (VEG, he prefers to take meat as just meat not mixed with anything). Then dinner at around 8pm. 6-8 fish at night (yes he likes it only at night). I occasionally buy him treats (pseudo bones and dog chews). He loves sweets, oranges, though I tend to restrict on sweets. I buy him chicken when ever I eat outside. I really feel bad nowadays when I eat without buying for him.
We are primarily a vegetarian family, as in we don't cook non veg here since my mom is a vegetarian. But i and dad do eat meat and i'm collecting dog food recipes in advance, to cook for him when he comes home. Otherwise i never cook

Btw Royal Canin and Eukanuba kibbles are better than Pedigree. Been reading up a lot of dog food reviews lately from India as well as abroad. RC and Eukanuba are rated much higher than Pedigree based on the ingredients. Price difference is also huge. Its not feasible for me to give him RC everyday, can't afford to, but i plan to keep RC as a backup for the times i can't cook for him.

Quote:
For dog accessories, there is a nice shop on the way to plamood from PMG. It is next to the bike showroom on the left side. I am using a herbal shampoo, erina plus from himalaya pharma, as a protection form fleas and ticks.
Thanks for that. Sure helps!

Quote:
I was single when I brought him, he was jealous with my wife initially and used to push her off to seat next to me initially, now he sort of adjusted. When I am away from home, he obeys my wife and when he gets a wind of me coming back, things change. He is not so obedient anymore.
I'm single right now, but won't be for long... So i will expect my dog to be like this too!

Quote:
Did I talk too much? I think I did. I was in the same dilemma of buying a rottie 2 years back. I never regretted my decision. But be aware that he is not very friendly with kids and other animals who he think can cut his share of affection. Also he is a very strong dog. You can count on him as a companion for life.
PS: My wife is equally jealous of the dog as the dog is of her.
Nope didn't talk enough. I can take more. I have been digging up all that i can find about this breed!

Quote:
Hi Shankar, replied to PM,
Replied!

Quote:
karthik and shankar,I am uploading a few pics of my rocky. It was taken around 3 months ago. And forgot to mention that, he takes nearly 2 years to behave like mature dog, very playful.
He just broke another chain. He is on his 5th chain now.
Attachment 596592
Attachment 596593
After a round of play and drinking water, asking me what is next
Attachment 596594
Attachment 596595
Thanks for these photos! He's a real handsome fellow, looks as if he means business! In the pic after bathing he looks really cute! Love the coconut leaf incident
Old 20th August 2011, 18:05   #2173
BHPian

Smile Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:

We are primarily a vegetarian family, as in we don't cook non veg here since my mom is a vegetarian. But I and dad do eat meat and i'm collecting dog food recipes in advance, to cook for him when he comes home. Otherwise i never cook

Btw Royal Canin and Eukanuba kibbles are better than Pedigree. Been reading up a lot of dog food reviews lately from India as well as abroad. RC and Eukanuba are rated much higher than Pedigree based on the ingredients. Price difference is also huge. Its not feasible for me to give him RC everyday, can't afford to, but i plan to keep RC as a backup for the times i can't cook for him.
Mine too is a predominantly veg family. My mother is a pure veg and wife is almost veg, she takes chicken sometimes that is it. I am the only major non-veg at home. But believe me that is fine with my rocky. He likes the same food as we have home, i.e, veg (he loves sambar, puttu etc). He is fine with it. When I met the guy who sold me the dog after a year, I told him about the diet of the dog, and he was a tad disappointed (he told me later). He came with me to my home and surprised by my dog as rocky was within specs for a predominantly meat eating rottie. Only then I was relieved. When I am at home he is mostly off chain. He is very calm. Never barks unnecessarily. And believe me he got different tones for people, irritation and calling us. Till now we paid for 2 hens of the neighbor, which strayed into our compound, lost a couple of clothes of mine, some shoes and have a few scratched doors. But still the welcome you get when coming home beats anything human. You feel really special then. On the funny bit, when my wife scolds him for some mischief, if I am home, he comes next to me and bark at her, he knows he is safe with me aside.

He can get aggressive if he feels cornered.
I knew about the RC, but it is too pricy. It is available in the shop I mentioned.
Since you mentioned cooking for dog, the breeder told me an easy way out to feed the dog. Cut meat into smallest possible pieces (called cutlet chopped) put it with rice and a little turmeric, cook in a pressure cooker for a 3-4 whistles and feed him. The special mention for the cutlet chopped meat, else he will eat the meat and stare at you. Now at home, my mother cooks fish for him, even though she doesn't like it, only because rocky likes it.
When really young, rotties tend to chew things off and never encourage chewing clothes, or a tug of war. I learned the hard way. He used to tug at my clothes when he was small and I let him do that. He would bite into the cloth at angle level and I was supposed to drag him all around the house. Now he expects me to do that now when he is almost 40 kg . I have a hard time convincing him no to do that now.
Best part is his care to the family members, he will be a walking few feet ahead of where ever we walk to, irrespective of the number of times we do, or what he is doing or the time. My mother feels very secure when he is around.
Did I mention he is very particular about his stuff? If I take off his neck strap, he will wait next to me and jump at me until I put it back on his neck. His utensils, his rugs, his chain, even his soap and towel.

Last edited by 999 : 20th August 2011 at 18:11. Reason: too many smilies
Old 20th August 2011, 20:31   #2174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine too is a predominantly veg family. My mother is a pure veg and wife is almost veg, she takes chicken sometimes that is it. I am the only major non-veg at home. But believe me that is fine with my rocky. He likes the same food as we have home, i.e, veg (he loves sambar, puttu etc). He is fine with it. When I met the guy who sold me the dog after a year, I told him about the diet of the dog, and he was a tad disappointed (he told me later). He came with me to my home and surprised by my dog as rocky was within specs for a predominantly meat eating rottie. Only then I was relieved.
To be really honest, looking at him i'd never have thought that Rocky grew up on a predominantly Veg diet. Relieved to know that Rottie can do well with such diet, makes things easier for me. Even the breeder told me he'll eat anything and we shouldn't worry about the diet.

Quote:
When I am at home he is mostly off chain. He is very calm. Never barks unnecessarily. And believe me he got different tones for people, irritation and calling us. Till now we paid for 2 hens of the neighbor, which strayed into our compound, lost a couple of clothes of mine, some shoes and have a few scratched doors. But still the welcome you get when coming home beats anything human. You feel really special then. On the funny bit, when my wife scolds him for some mischief, if I am home, he comes next to me and bark at her, he knows he is safe with me aside.
He can get aggressive if he feels cornered.
Does he ever show aggression towards you ever?

Quote:
I knew about the RC, but it is too pricy. It is available in the shop I mentioned.
Since you mentioned cooking for dog, the breeder told me an easy way out to feed the dog. Cut meat into smallest possible pieces (called cutlet chopped) put it with rice and a little turmeric, cook in a pressure cooker for a 3-4 whistles and feed him. The special mention for the cutlet chopped meat, else he will eat the meat and stare at you. Now at home, my mother cooks fish for him, even though she doesn't like it, only because rocky likes it.
Why the cutlet chopped meat? I didn't get the funda behind it. I know we shouldn't feed him cooked bones due to chances of splintering. Does it have to got to do with it? Im also going to experiment raw feeding once in a while.

Quote:
When really young, rotties tend to chew things off and never encourage chewing clothes, or a tug of war. I learned the hard way. He used to tug at my clothes when he was small and I let him do that. He would bite into the cloth at angle level and I was supposed to drag him all around the house. Now he expects me to do that now when he is almost 40 kg . I have a hard time convincing him no to do that now.
Best part is his care to the family members, he will be a walking few feet ahead of where ever we walk to, irrespective of the number of times we do, or what he is doing or the time. My mother feels very secure when he is around.
Did I mention he is very particular about his stuff? If I take off his neck strap, he will wait next to me and jump at me until I put it back on his neck. His utensils, his rugs, his chain, even his soap and towel.
I think he's trying to show dominance when he's jumping on you when you take his stuff. Also walking ahead of the pack is him showing dominant character. Been watching Dog Whisperer since the last couple of weeks on Nat Geo As per experts this shouldn't be promoted, but then everyone at home should be equally firm with him, which i think wouldn't be easy now.
Old 20th August 2011, 20:53   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
To be really honest, looking at him i'd never have thought that Rocky grew up on a predominantly Veg diet. Relieved to know that Rottie can do well with such diet, makes things easier for me. Even the breeder told me he'll eat anything and we shouldn't worry about the diet.

Does he ever show aggression towards you ever?

Why the cutlet chopped meat? I didn't get the funda behind it. I know we shouldn't feed him cooked bones due to chances of splintering. Does it have to got to do with it? Im also going to experiment raw feeding once in a while.

I think he's trying to show dominance when he's jumping on you when you take his stuff. Also walking ahead of the pack is him showing dominant character. Been watching Dog Whisperer since the last couple of weeks on Nat Geo As per experts this shouldn't be promoted, but then everyone at home should be equally firm with him, which i think wouldn't be easy now.
He never showed aggression towards me.Does let me know he is not happy by barking, but does what he is told.But having said that, he did show aggression when I tried to get pull out a hen from his mouth which he caught straying into the compound.He would not let it go. After a few minutes he let it go. The cutlet chopped meat is mainly to make it impossible for him to segregate meat from rice.
I never thought of him waking ahead as a trait of being a dominant. That is interesting. I always thought he was being more careful for the ones behind. Now thinking of it, he shows that more towards my mother and walks along with me.